Sounds like US was best prepared for pandemic

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
It doesn’t matter what is implemented if the President of the United States is going around telling people not to worry, we got it “contained and under control” and there’s just a ‘few cases and then zero.’ “It’s the new hoax.” Naturally, people who listen to him aren’t going to take it as seriously as they probably should have early on when it mattered most what we did as a country.
Yes it does matter if you are claiming we failed to impliment the plan

Upvote 0

GreatLakes4Ever

Jan 2, 2019
Midwest
✟264,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
  • Winner
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You sound like you know our preparedness policies and procedures. Perhaps you can share with us the exact ones Trump failed to impliment after being told what the procedure and policy said. Which ones did he fail to impliment in the timeline indicated in the policies and procedures?
It’s not about just implementing the right policies but being a leader and getting the country on the same page early on so we can address the problem together. Without a clear sense of leadership, which, being fair was already lacking, we couldn’t address the problem head on when it mattered most.

That is a a failure of leadership, not preparedness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟554,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There are holes in our preparedness to the problem but I think the real issue is our leader’s inability to accept he had a real problem on his hands early on. I’ll give Trump credit that he has certainly changed his tune to match the situation but it happened to slow and too late.

Personally, I don’t blame him. I think he’s a victim of living in his own political bubble to his and now, the rest of the country’s detriment.

But let’s just, hope for the best.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,116.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

United States JEE Self-Assessment Report (2016)

State parties should have risk communication capacity which is multi-level and multi-faced real time exchange of information, advice and opinion between experts and officials or people who face a threat or hazard to their survival, health or economic or social well-being so that they can take informed decisions to mitigate the effects of the threat or hazard and take protective and preventive action. It includes a mix of communication and engagement strategies like media and social media communication, mass awareness campaigns, health promotion, social mobilization, stakeholder engagement and community engagement.
  • U.S. Government communication coordination systems, processes, and mechanisms activate and interact at various levels and times during steady-state and public health emergencies. Their purpose is to distribute pre-event and event-related information as widely as possible to the affected and potentially affected populations.
    1. Avoiding inconsistent or inappropriate messages
      • The U.S. Government goes to great lengths to minimize the release of inconsistent or contradictory information.

o A virulent strain of pandemic influenza could kill hundreds of thousands of Americans, affect millions more, and result in economic loss.

It doesn’t matter what is implemented if the President of the United States is going around telling people not to worry, we got it “contained and under control” and there’s just a ‘few cases and then zero.’ “It’s the new hoax.”

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
It appears America was best prepared for this pandemic than any one else in the world.

The countries that appear to truly have been the best prepared for this (e.g. Taiwan, S.Korea, and Singapore) were hit with the SARS outbreak back in 2004. Consequently, they have fared far better so far during the current outbreak because they were able to react extremely fast.

The current response to the outbreak does not suggest that the U.S. was prepared for this. Not in the slightest.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: lasthero
Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
People keep telling me that the US has a much worse medical system than countries that have government controlled ones.

It's not specifically that it's worse, it's that it's less efficient. Americans for the most part get less healthcare for their $ compared to other countries with socialized health care.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
You lefties crack me up. Please tell us exactly which of the preparedness policies and procedures listed that we did not impliment? Which ones didn't we impliment during the recommended timelines according to our preparedness policies and procedures?

"President Donald Trump has invoked but not yet started using the Defense Production Act (DPA) to get companies to manufacture critical supplies for the fight against the coronavirus, Federal Emergency Management Agency Administrator Peter Gaynor revealed to CNN's Jake Tapper Sunday.

"No. We haven't yet," Gaynor replied when asked on CNN's "State of the Union" if the Trump administration has ordered any companies to make critical medical supplies needed on the front lines of the coronavirus fight.
"We're using the act," Trump said, saying that the DPA was spurring the production of ventilators, masks, and respirators. The president stated that he had directed "a lot" of companies to start making critical supplies, adding that "they're making a lot of ventilators and they're making a lot of masks."

On Saturday, he appeared to backtrack, suggesting that he was not using the act because companies were stepping up on their own. "We've never seen anything like it where they are volunteering," he said.

"We have the act to use, in case we need it," the president said of the DPA.

US associations representing doctors, nurses, and hospitals sent a letter Saturday to the president begging him to use the Defense Production Act."

FEMA chief says Trump still hasn't used Defense Production Act to get critical supplies for coronavirus fight

You righties disgust me. Please cheer on the President as he continues to fail to act with the level of competence and seriousness this situation requires.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
The countries that appear to truly have been the best prepared for this (e.g. Taiwan, S.Korea, and Singapore) were hit with the SARS outbreak back in 2004. Consequently, they have fared far better so far during the current outbreak because they were able to react extremely fast.

The current response to the outbreak does not suggest that the U.S. was prepared for this. Not in the slightest.

What policies and procedures didn't we follow in in the preparedness plan?

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,303.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I was going to list them but I found myself agreeing with enough of this article it is better to just link the whole thing

'All Of This Panic Could Have Been Prevented': Author Max Brooks On COVID-19

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what policies and procedures that we had established that we failed to impliment. In this case what timelines have been set up and we failed to meet them? Still waiting. Monday morning quarterbacking to blame only works for the future. If the plan is to do such and such and to do it at such at such time following such and such steps then we can't fault someone for doing just that.

Until you can show that the plan was not followed it's nothing but hot air and Monday morning quarterbacking.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It appears America was best prepared for this pandemic than any one else in the world. We had processes and procedures in place to deal with this sort of thing. That's of course no thanks to any one person or president but a work of our government as a whole. So for those claiming we were I'll prepared and it was all of Trump's fault, we actually we're very prepared as of 2019. So as long as we followed our policies and procedures, which I'm sure we have it appears the leftists are barking up the wrong tree with the blame game.

That's not to say we can't be better. Ranking #1 in the world just means we were the best, it doesn't mean we have achieved everything we could. It appears we definitely need to make more changes in the way we do things and have those processes in place for the next one. I am confident we will.
US was ranked the best-prepared country for a pandemic in late 2019 by a Johns Hopkins study
Not sure if you are correct.

Given the number of new cases as of today, the USA sits in third place behind Italy.
The number of new cases today in the USA was double the number of new cases in Italy.

The USA had 11,200 new cases while Italy had 5,200 new cases.

It sure looks like the USA will quickly surpass Italy and be chasing down China who sits in first place. China incidentally only had 67 new cases.

I'm backing the USA to win and by a large margin; due to it's business as usual obsession.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,422,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Until you can show that the plan was not followed it's nothing but hot air and Monday morning quarterbacking.

Is there where you tell us you know better than people like Max Brooks? Yea, that's what I thought.
The fact is rjs330, no matter what I write here, you will find some excuse for the President's incompetence. What a waste of time.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is that what our preparedness policy says?
It says we should have acted more when we first heard about covid-19. We should have been testing everyone coming in. We should have been getting ready.

Instead, we have a President who thinks the worse is behind us, when it is not, and states that are scrambling to do something when there is no leadership from the top.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
The results show otherwise.

But you are correct on one point, our nation has planned for these scenarios for decades and as recently as last year, a major pandemic drill was conducted.

Max Brooks*:

"We have a network in place that we as taxpayers have been funding to get us ready for something just like this," Brooks says of the U.S. response to the COVID-19 pandemic. But, he adds, "we have been disastrously slow and disorganized from Day 1."

Brooks says the notion that the U.S. government was blindsided by the pandemic is "an onion of layered lies."

"What could have happened when this virus exploded — even when Wuhan was locked down — is we could have put the word out," he says. "The government could have put the word out to ramp up emergency supplies to get them ready and then have an information strategy in place."

*Max Brooks has researched disaster preparedness for his novels and has lectured on the subject at the U.S. Naval War College. He has also been a nonresident fellow at the Modern War Institute at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. His new book, Devolution, will be published May 2020.
'All Of This Panic Could Have Been Prevented': Author Max Brooks On COVID-19
By the by, if you’re looking for something to read in this boring times, I highly recommend Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

loveofourlord

Feb 15, 2014
✟269,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
By the by, if you’re looking for something to read in this boring times, I highly recommend Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z.

back when the zombie craze was higher, I found myself while out walking through town as just a thought experiment, think of, "Okay this is where I would hole up, I would check these buildings first for supplies." and such heh.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
Not sure if you are correct.

Given the number of new cases as of today, the USA sits in third place behind Italy.
The number of new cases today in the USA was double the number of new cases in Italy.

The USA had 11,200 new cases while Italy had 5,200 new cases.

It sure looks like the USA will quickly surpass Italy and be chasing down China who sits in first place. China incidentally only had 67 new cases.

I'm backing the USA to win and by a large margin; due to it's business as usual obsession.
To be fair, we’re a bigger country than Italy.

Now, China on the other hand...

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
To be fair, we’re a bigger country than Italy.

Now, China on the other hand...
You were saying?

China has four times the population of the USA.

China is only about thirteen thousand cases ahead of the USA.

There is no doubt that the USA will crash through the winning post.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,457.00
Faith
Seeker
You were saying?

China has four times the population of the USA.

China is only about thirteen thousand cases ahead of the USA.

There is no doubt that the USA will crash through the winning post.
Yeah, that we’re probably going to brush past China by the end of this month is...unsettling. Though, I’m not sure I 100% trust China’s reports. That is sort of the problem with some of the reports, we have to take every country at their word.

Upvote 0