Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I wanted to upgrade the graphics card in my computer to a good Quadro to improve gaming over the GT 730, but I didn't quite have the money. But I'm a teensy bit of an audiophile (a person who enjoys audio) and figured if I couldn't improve my games through graphics, I could certainly improve them through sound. So I picked up a Creative Sound Blaster Omni external sound card for $78, and a small Sony 10-watt speaker which is kind of cool, for $48. I will link the two in a bit.

Good decision or bad?

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi :)

I honestly cannot say because I have never heard of it but what I do know is how precious a good sound system is, particularly in gaming. It can really make the difference and at the best of times really submerses you in your own little world.

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,840.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Is there a particular reason you opted for a Bluetooth speaker rather than computer speakers? Do you have little desk space or intend on additionally using it for a Bluetooth device?

You'd be better off getting a set like this (which is cheaper, better designed for this purpose, and the next model up also gives you a sub):
Amazon.com: Logitech Z313 Speaker System: Computers & Accessories
Amazon.com: Logitech Z313 2.1 Speaker System: Computers & Accessories

I've played around with this model, and you get quite a great sound and decent volume.

I'd also hold off on buying a new sound card until you see how it goes with your onboard setup first. Onboard sound has come a long way over the last 10 years, and if you're mostly looking at it for your gaming (Indie gaming in particular, if I recall?) you'll find you're going to be limited by the compression of the game's audio. The minute you go from monitor speakers to a real speaker set, you will notice a major improvement, even without a dedicated sound card.

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Is there a particular reason you opted for a Bluetooth speaker rather than computer speakers? Do you have little desk space or intend on additionally using it for a Bluetooth device?

You'd be better off getting a set like this (which is cheaper, better designed for this purpose, and the next model up also gives you a sub):
Amazon.com: Logitech Z313 Speaker System: Computers & Accessories
Amazon.com: Logitech Z313 2.1 Speaker System: Computers & Accessories

I've played around with this model, and you get quite a great sound and decent volume.

I'd also hold off on buying a new sound card until you see how it goes with your onboard setup first. Onboard sound has come a long way over the last 10 years, and if you're mostly looking at it for your gaming (Indie gaming in particular, if I recall?) you'll find you're going to be limited by the compression of the game's audio. The minute you go from monitor speakers to a real speaker set, you will notice a major improvement, even without a dedicated sound card.

1. Though it's a bluetooth speaker, it can hook to the sound card through 3.5mm. Which is what I'm going to do. The Bluetooth feature is a nice addition, but means little to me right now.

2. Well besides gaming, I also like listening to and playing around with music. So I thought the pair might be useful. Though I also want to try them for gaming, for sure.

3. Yes, I have little desk space. :)

Upvote 0

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,840.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
1. Though it's a bluetooth speaker, it can hook to the sound card through 3.5mm. Which is what I'm going to do. The Bluetooth feature is a nice addition, but means little to me right now.

3. Yes, I have little desk space. :)

I'd consider seeing if you could fit a nice pair of Logitech speakers somewhere in your setup. The sound will be a lot better than what that would output.

2. Well besides gaming, I also like listening to and playing around with music. So I thought the pair might be useful. Though I also want to try them for gaming, for sure.

Yeah fair enough. Still, I'd consider just changing the speakers first and consider the sound card secondly. Changing speakers to a dedicated set will make all the difference in the world.

Upvote 0

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Yeah fair enough. Still, I'd consider just changing the speakers first and consider the sound card secondly. Changing speakers to a dedicated set will make all the difference in the world.

I might listen to this advice. But keep in mind, the computer uses an $80 motherboard with a pretty average (by today's standards) version of the audio chipset. Now if we were talking one of those $130-200 motherboards with very special sound considerations, I would agree completely :).

I just need to allow myself a little more time to think about both items, speakers and sound card, and think things through :).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Left

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2017
Illinois
✟81,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Did you know that to add additional sound, you can buy a second of that Sony speaker later on, and get 20 watts total? All that's lacking is a subwoofer, which you probably can't do much about. But 20 watts isn't too bad.

Of course, this desk space savings comes at a price, in cost.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,064,547.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
My first graphics card was the 3dfx VooDoo 3 and was nearly as long as the case...
3dfx+Voodoo5+5500+AGP+x4+64MB+Rev_A2+3500+angled.jpg

The Creative audio card was nearly the size...
411rdurQRkL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Wookiee
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm a bit of a gaming audiophile as well. I have always tended to buy higher-end soundcards, though not always Creative's. For a while I was buying Q-Sound and Sensaura based cards. Sensaura's tech produced some of the most realistic sound I have ever experienced.

I used to use planar magnetic or orthodynamic speakers when I lived with my parents years ago, and I got excellent sound. Now days I prefer headphones. I use an old pair of Sony MDR 210's because I've found them surprisingly neutral with adequate bass, and as I get older, my preference has drifted towards warmer sound. I also own a Tascam TH-02 that is far better than its bargain price.

To enjoy games you will probably wan't some bass, but it's not really necessary to play well at games, and can even be detrimental (some people who play very competitively actually EQ out most of the bass). The lower treble region is the most important, since it's what your brain uses to tell you where things are coming from. You will also need at least two speakers or headphones, a bluetooth speaker isn't going to take you very far.

My favorite game audio is in the game Thief: the Dark Project, which recently celebrated its 25th anniversary on Steam. Recently I've been playing the indie game Interstellar Marines and it has some very atmospheric audio as well.

I recently upgraded to a Soundblaster Z after I got tired of the shenanigans of my ancient X-Fi. I used my motherboard audio for a while and it was acceptable, so there's not necessarily any reason to buy a sound card now days. But I do like the features and the quality of the Soundblaster Z. The AE-5 was too costly, however, to justify for very marginal benefits.

Upvote 0