• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.
  7. There has been an addition to the announcement regarding unacceptable nick names. The phrase "Let's go Brandon" actually stands for a profanity and will be seen as a violation of the profanity rule in the future.

Sound on YouTube has gotten worse lately using my Dell LT with headphones

Discussion in 'Technology' started by mnorian, Oct 13, 2021.

1. mnorian

mnorian Oldbie--Eternal Optimist Staff Member Administrator CF Senior Ambassador Supporter Staff on LOA

+10,266
    Christian
    Married
    A month or so ago; Youtube said they up-graded their sound on movies and music videos using Dolby stereo 4 HD. I use a Dell LT with Sony headphones; and up till then; I have had great sound,

Now; if I set the sound level to hear the quiet parts; the loud parts blow my ears off my head.
    If I set the sound level so the loud parts are OK; I can't hear the quiet ones.

I know they used to use compression to bring up the low sounds; and bring down the high notes.

Is there some app or tweek on Youtube where you can adjust the sound compression?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Lazarus Short

Lazarus Short Well-Known Member

+2,418
    Non-Denom
    Married
    You (all of us, actually) are a victim of the Loudness Wars. Using headphones in this situation will ruin your hearing. It is the reason I have all but given up headphone use. My advise is to use an external amp and speakers. Your ears will thank you.

3. mnorian

mnorian Oldbie--Eternal Optimist Staff Member Administrator CF Senior Ambassador Supporter Staff on LOA

+10,266
    Christian
    Married
    I have people close by; so external speakers are not an option; unfortunately.

The headphones I have are "on the ear" type; not the "over the ear" kind; so are not supposed to be able to damage your ears.

One of the problems I have is; I watch a lot of Vblogs on sailing channels; and each one sets their sound at a different level; they are all amateurs. There must be a program that can auto adjust the sound; at the PC level.

4. GOD Shines Forth!

GOD Shines Forth! Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,006
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    I bought some computer speakers from this company, and I remembered this item I was looking at:

upload_2021-10-13_10-24-50.png

https://audioengineusa.com/shop/components/d1-24-bit-dacheadphone-amp/

Not promoting this company/product, as I'm sure there are many good headphone amps out there. Just an FYI possible solution.

5. Lazarus Short

+2,418
    Non-Denom
    Married
    A good practice is to reset the volume at zero between vids, and then raise it cautiously when another starts - it has saved me getting blasted many times. I'm sensitive to loud noise, you see.

6. mnorian

+10,266
    Christian
    Married
    Yes; I do that all the time. One problem I have with this Dell LT; there is not a one button control for the sound level;
    you have to click "f2 or f3" and the fn key; at the same time; and if you hit the f2 or f3 buttons first; it open up the tab box or the side panel in Vivaldi; which I do all the time; very frustrating.

Then there is the sound level on the YT video; so I'm always trying to juggle the two sound levels.

7. Lazarus Short

+2,418
    Non-Denom
    Married
    You need a dedicated headphone amp...with a simple volume control.

8. Wookiee

Wookiee Cool. Cool, cool, cool.

+86
    Australia
    Christian
    There's usually a function lock key or a Dell utility to reverse the behaviour of the function keys so that you don't need to hold it in.

9. mnorian

+10,266
    Christian
    Married
    I looked on Dell's help page for sound settings; and didn't find that. You have a link for that?

10. Wookiee

Wookiee Cool. Cool, cool, cool.

+86
    Australia
    Christian
    If you haven't changed anything it will be something like "Hotkeys" or "Keyboard Utility". It differs from laptop to laptop. But there's always a way of doing it.

If you're looking at support articles, you'll want to find one that is specifically about the keyboard.

11. mnorian

+10,266
    Christian
    Married
    I used your post as a search on google and came up with this:

How Do I Disable the Fn Key?
    There is no dedicated Fn Lock key on most Dell laptops to disable the F1 to F12 Function keys.
    The Function Lock is enabled/disabled by pressing the Escape key (on the top row next to the F1 to F12 keys) and Function key (on the bottom row next to the Windows button) together like a toggle switch.

https://www.lifewire.com/disable-function-key-on-dell-laptop-5193090#:~:text=There is no dedicated Fn,together like a toggle switch.

And it worked! Thanks!:oldthumbsup:
    It makes it a little easier to set the sound now.

If only I could find a compression sound app; now that would be great.