Sound, Catholic methods of meditation and stress reduction?

TexasCatholic

Jun 8, 2004
TEXAS
✟2,249.00
Faith
Catholic
Hi guys,

I am interested in methods of stress-reduction that are Catholic and sound, preferably prayer-oriented. Some suggest meditation, but I honestly don't know what that means. I know how to pray... sort-of, but I don't know what meditation means. I know that I need to do something to lower my stress and to get closer to God at the same time...

The obvious answer is Rosary... but I'm open. Anyone do other forms of meditation for stress relief? Methods that can be used on-demand are useful, because of late single moments at work can ruin my whole day and crank my blood pressure to dangerous levels.

Thanks!

Krentis

Sep 22, 2009
✟783.00
Faith
Catholic
1) Learn to breathe.
2) (you guessed it!) Rosary. If at work, you can say just a hail mary or two at a time. Theres's no rule stating how quickly you must finish it and there's no rule that says you have to use a rosay to prar the rosary. Your head works just as well as the beads do.
3) See your Doctor. Stress is at least partially a medical problem, your doctor may be able to assist you in finding a sollution. Prayer will probably be part of the answer for you, but it might not be the whole answer.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,135.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
It seems as if work day pressures are usually the result of unreasonable demands placed upon us by other people or difficult interactions with other people.

And so, to me a good short prayer to alleviate that stress would be something like the Serenity Prayer or a conscious prayer to forgive the people who are bugging you, realizing that they may be under pressure at work, too, or that we may not realize the various stressors in their lives that might be causing them to take it out on you.

I am fortunate to have a very congenial work environment, but I have been helping my hubby cope with work day stress for almost 40 years...

Upvote 0

Winter

Jesus, let it be ok
Jan 18, 2009
New England
✟25,253.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Meditation means quieting the mind - taking quiet moments alone, closing your eyes, taking deep breaths and trying not to think of anything. Literally - do not think of anything. After your mind is quiet, you can focus on something (like a Bible verse, a place, a mystery, or a seasonal time like Advent) or someone - like Jesus or a favorite saint. If you focus on Jesus, just focus on being in His presence. If you converse with Christ then that begins to become more like prayer rather than meditation. It also naturally leads to thinking - and the point of meditation is to not think. Some folks choose not to focus on anything at all and just want to quiet the mind.

And yes, the Rosary is a great way to meditate because we are focusing on Christ and His mysteries. However before you do that, quiet your mind first. Think of absolutely nothing. No thought. Get your mind at peace - because thoughts tend to bring chaos to our hearts and minds. Then proceed with a focus, such as the Rosary.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In the time right after my mother's death, I was shocked to find that I couldn't concentrate long enough to meditate on the Rosary. It was then that I discovered that the Chaplet of Divine Mercy was possible for me--it was like breathing. Calming.

Adoration is also calming and has had an added benefit of being a great "stress reducer" for me.

And above the Tabernacle is the DVM painting "Jesus I trust in you". I would imagine being able to prostrate myself at His feet and being covered by the hem of His robes.

Upvote 0

Called2Grace

My body, my birth my choice!
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2005
Australia
✟49,719.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Labor
I found that breathing exercises which you can find all over the web really helps. It actually does slow down your heart rate, etc.

You can use this with a favourite short bible verse.

So when you breathe in say the first part of the verse and then as you breathe out, the second part.

Like, breathe in "Lord Jesus Christ"

Breathe out "Grant me peace"

or something like that.

Upvote 0