Earth
✟64,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the creation of my thread on sex found here:
Sex... losing a part of yourself!?!?

I came across some new bologna I've never heard before... this idea of "soul ties". When I read that I had to do a double take. I've never heard the term used in the Bible, and furthermore, I've never even gleaned the idea from the text itself.

After some thought, my position would be in line with these sources:

"The term “soul ties” was coined by false teachers to misrepresent the meaning of certain passages of scripture. The term soul ties never appears in scripture, and neither does the concept it describes. The term refers to supposed uniting or tying of one person’s spirit to the spirit of another person in some way. The Bible never describes such a possibility nor teaches that it exists."
For the entire post... go here:
Are soul ties biblical? | Verse By Verse Ministry International

"The phrase “soul ties” is not in the Bible; rather, the idea of soul ties is a man-made speculation which some teachers superimpose onto Scripture in an attempt to explain certain human behaviors. Soul ties are said to be connections from one person's soul to (or into) another person's soul, a concept that has no basis in Scripture."
What does the Bible say about soul ties?

Also, please don't even compare this to the Trinity. That seems to be a common analogy, as the Trinity, while not specifically called the Trinity in the Bible, is demonstrated in Scripture. This isn't remotely analogous, because you can actually glean from the Scripture the existence of the Trinity... trying to glean "soul ties" from Scripture takes some real imagination and effort.

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In the creation of my thread on sex found here:
Sex... losing a part of yourself!?!?

I came across some new bologna I've never heard before... this idea of "soul ties". When I read that I had to do a double take. I've never heard the term used in the Bible, and furthermore, I've never even gleaned the idea from the text itself.

After some thought, my position would be in line with these sources:

"The term “soul ties” was coined by false teachers to misrepresent the meaning of certain passages of scripture. The term soul ties never appears in scripture, and neither does the concept it describes. The term refers to supposed uniting or tying of one person’s spirit to the spirit of another person in some way. The Bible never describes such a possibility nor teaches that it exists."
Are soul ties biblical? | Verse By Verse Ministry International

"The phrase “soul ties” is not in the Bible; rather, the idea of soul ties is a man-made speculation which some teachers superimpose onto Scripture in an attempt to explain certain human behaviors. Soul ties are said to be connections from one person's soul to (or into) another person's soul, a concept that has no basis in Scripture."
What does the Bible say about soul ties?

Also, please don't even compare this to the Trinity. That seems to be a common analogy, as the Trinity, while not specifically called the Trinity in the Bible, is demonstrated in Scripture. This isn't remotely analogous, because you can actually glean from the Scripture the existence of the Trinity... trying to glean "soul ties" from Scripture takes some real imagination and effort.
I believe in soul ties. Its just when two people become one flesh. If its a harmful soul tie it can be broken with God's help.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There is a very developed teaching of soul ties that I am not a fan of. The concept of soul ties is built on a teaching that is Biblical, the two become one flesh. The people that talk about soul ties also claim that they can be undone, either as part of the forgiveness the Christian has received, or separate from it, as if there is a promise to claim when you do that. The fact of the matter is, there is no Biblical promise that I have read which teaches that the making of two people into one flesh will be undone in this life. Is anything possible? Yes, but not every faithful Christian who prays for the dead to be raised or the blindness or cancer to be healed gets that. And at least when God does raise the dead or heal the blindness or the cancer, there's evidence that he did it - the dead person lives, the blind person sees, there is no more cancer in the patient's body. We can objectively verify those circumstances. Praying for the two to not be one flesh anymore - there is no way I know of to verify that. There is nothing more than the claims of the person who was allegedly "healed." The claims of a person who was very troubled about his or her state, and likely has a lot of wishful thinking on the matter.

Upvote 0