soul sleep

Do you go to heaven or hell immediately when you die?

• yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRabbit

just trying to understand
Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am not sure if I did or not.

The passages I alluded to in my post #276 do present a rather compelling case for the presence of the souls of the faithful departed being with God.

i don't see that in the bible.

what i see is that man is a soul and a soul can die per ezk 18:4.

the spirit that is in man goes to heaven, however, the spirit in man is not alive, just imparts intellect to the brain.

the man lives and the man dies.

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
i don't see that in the bible.

what i see is that man is a soul and a soul can die per ezk 18:4.

the spirit that is in man goes to heaven, however, the spirit in man is not alive, just imparts intellect to the brain.

the man lives and the man dies.

See post #280

Upvote 0

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Soul is defined in this way

The bottom line is it doesn't really matter how you define the different parts of our humanity for the whole person (i.e., all his parts) are polluted with iniquity. Therefore, as Paul states, "I know that in me, that is my flesh, nothing good dwells".

Therefore we cannot claim sinlessness & immortality. We receive this only at the 2nd coming.

Soul sleep is simply a metaphor to describe a truth.

You see the believer is promised that his first death will not be his last death. Therefore he will live again. Metaphorically speaking that's equivalent to one going to sleep at night and being awaken by the alarm clock the next morning.

The alarm clock will be "the last trumpet" at the 2nd coming. The dead will come up just like they had a nap. They will be restored. That's why the 1st death is referred to by Christ as a sleep death.

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

God tells us what He is, which is a spirit being (jn 4:24).
God has everlasting life and is able to create and sustain life.

God tells us what angels are, spirit beings (ps 104:4).
angels have everlasting life because spirit cannot die, however, angels cannot reproduce or create life.

God tells us what man is, dust (gen 3:19)
man is flesh and blood (gen 2:23-24) and not spirit. man possesses a temporary physio-chemical existence and therefore, is subject to death. man can reproduce himself in the physical sense, but cannot create life.

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
man's life is dependent on the environment in which God placed him.

we all know that if we could literally jump into space that we would die (no air to breathe).

in fact, man possesses the same type of life that the animals have, a temporary physio-chemical existence:

Ecclesiastes 3:18-20(NKJV)
18I said in my heart, “Concerning the condition of the sons of men, God tests them, that they may see that they themselves are like animals.”
19For what happens to the sons of men also happens to animals; one thing befalls them: as one dies, so dies the other. Surely, they all have one breath; man has no advantage over animals, for all is vanity.
20All go to one place: all are from the dust, and all return to dust.

seems that abraham knew what he was. referring to himself, he said:

Genesis 18:27(NKJV)
27Then Abraham answered and said, “Indeed now, I who am but dust and ashes have taken it upon myself to speak to the Lord:

i wonder why abraham didn't say that he was a spirit? :confused:

that's because abraham believed God (gen 2:7, 3:19)!

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
the problem comes with understanding the spirit in man.

automatically, it seems we want to believe we are a spirit, and moreover, a spirit in a physical body.

we simply are not.

God says so (3:19)!

it also seems that some see gen 2:7 as showing that man is spiritual

Genesis 2:7(NKJV)
7And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.

Genesis 2:7(KJV)
7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

the words "being" and "soul" are translated from the hebrew "nephesh".

Strong's H5315

נֶפֶשׁ

nephesh

neh'-fesh

From H5314; properly a breathing creature, that is, animal or (abstractly) vitality; used very widely in a literal, accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental):—any, appetite, beast, body, breath, creature, X dead (-ly), desire, X [dis-] contented, X fish, ghost, + greedy, he, heart (-y), (hath, X jeopardy of) life (X in jeopardy), lust, man, me, mind, mortality, one, own, person, pleasure, (her-, him-, my-, thy-) self, them (your) -selves, + slay, soul, + tablet, they, thing, (X she) will, X would have it.

a soul is a breahting creature!

Upvote 0

Setyoufree

Mar 2, 2013
Southern USA
✟5,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's why the 1st death is referred to by Christ as a sleep death.

John 11:11 "Our http://www.biblestudytools.com/nas/john/11.html#cr-descriptionAnchor-13friend Lazarus http://www.biblestudytools.com/nas/john/11.html#cr-descriptionAnchor-14has fallen asleep ; but I go, so that I may awaken him out of sleep." 12 The disciples then said to Him, "Lord, if he has fallen asleep, he will http://www.biblestudytools.com/nas/john/11.html#fn-descriptionAnchor-arecover." 13 Now http://www.biblestudytools.com/nas/john/11.html#cr-descriptionAnchor-15Jesus had spoken of his death, but they thought that He was speaking of http://www.biblestudytools.com/nas/john/11.html#fn-descriptionAnchor-bliteral sleep. 14 So Jesus then said to them plainly, "Lazarus is dead,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnRabbit

Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
what about the breath of life?

is it man's spirit?

no!

it's the air we breathe. the air the animals breathe.

as in, we don't breathe we die!

speaking of the flood, the bible says:

Genesis 7:21-22(KJV)
21And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:
22All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.

and, remember?

Ecclesiastes 3:19(NKJV)
19 ...Surely, they all have one breath..!

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
now, maybe we can understand the spirit that's in man.

Job 32:8(KJV)
8But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.

1 Corinthians 2:11(NKJV)
11For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God.

the key question to ask?

is the spirit in man alive?

the answer is no!

the man is alive (by breathing - nephesh), and God tells us how when He told the COI that He didn't want them to eat blood:

Leviticus 17:10-14(NKJV)
10‘And whatever man of the house of Israel, or of the strangers who dwell among you, who eats any blood, I will set My face against that person who eats blood, and will cut him off from among his people.
11For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood that makes atonement for the soul

Christ shed His blood for our sins!(lk 22:20)!

12Therefore I said to the children of Israel, ‘No one among you shall eat blood, nor shall any stranger who dwells among you eat blood.’
13“Whatever man of the children of Israel, or of the strangers who dwell among you, who hunts and catches any animal or bird that may be eaten, he shall pour out its blood and cover it with dust;
14for it is the life of all flesh. Its blood sustains its life. Therefore I said to the children of Israel, ‘You shall not eat the blood of any flesh, for the life of all flesh is its blood. Whoever eats it shall be cut off.’

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
so, the spirit that is in man is not alive, rather, it imparts intellect to the brain.

you, the breathing soul, are alive and reading this post and you understand what the post says due to the spirit in you that gives you the ability to understand.

just like paul said (1cor 2:11)!

this spirit in man allows us to have a relationship with God, because we can communicate with God because of it.

notice this:

2 Chronicles 36:22-23(NKJV)
22Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of the Lord by the mouth of Jeremiah might be fulfilled, the Lord stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, so that he made a proclamation throughout all his kingdom, and also put it in writing, saying,
23 Thus says Cyrus king of Persia:
All the kingdoms of the earth the Lord God of heaven has given me. And He has commanded me to build Him a house at Jerusalem which is in Judah. Who is among you of all His people? May the Lord his God be with him, and let him go up!

God got a message to king cyrus through his spirit!

and also notice the the bible says "the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia", in other words, something that cyrus possessed!

another example:

Ezra 1:5(NKJV)
5Then the heads of the fathers’ houses of Judah and Benjamin, and the priests and the Levites, with all whose spirits God had moved, arose to go up and build the house of the Lord which is in Jerusalem.

God communicated to these men through the spirit that gave them power of intellect!

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
now what happens at death?

the flesh dies!

Ezekiel 18:4(NKJV)
4 “Behold, all souls are Mine; The soul of the father As well as the soul of the son is Mine; The soul who sins shall die.

the soul or the air breathing man dies, remember man became a living soul (gen 2:7).

and man's spirit, although not alive, goes back to God (eccl 12:7).

and this:

Ecclesiastes 9:10(NKJV)
10Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might; for there is no work or device or knowledge or wisdom in the grave where you are going.

so, it's simple.

the soul or you, who are the soul, dies and goes to the grave (back to dust) and the spirit in you goes to God.

Upvote 0

JohnRabbit

Site Supporter
Feb 12, 2009
i am in alabama
✟55,288.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
the spirit in man is also like a spiritual recording of you.

when you die, the spirit in you has recorded everything about you.

we could liken it to copying a cd disk to your hard drive on your computer.

you copy a cd to the computer as an iso or virtual disk.

the virtual disk is an excact copy of the disk although it's not the disk, just a digitized representation.

if the actual disk you copied is destroyed, then you can burn another copy to have another physical disk.

it is similar to this analogy that when a person dies (and it doesn't matter by what manner of death), God is able to bring that exact person back to life (resurrection).

Romans 4:17(NKJV)
17...God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did;

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
...The debate with the Sadducees when Jesus observed that God is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and that God is the God of the living and not of the dead. Jesus said that before his crucifixion. He told the Sadducees that Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob were alive with God....
One at a time:

I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living. Matthew 22:32

In quoting Matthew, let us continue to quote the context...

The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him, Matthew 22:23

Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. Matthew 22:29

For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. Matthew 22:30

But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, Matthew 22:31

The context is the Resurrection, which is "at the last day"...

Abraham is dead asleep, buried, awaiting the call of Jesus at the last trump, and therefore not in heaven:

Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death. John 8:52

Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself? John 8:53

Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people. Genesis 25:8 [gathered to his people, see also "And he charged them, and said unto them, I am to be gathered unto my people: bury me with my fathers in the cave that is in the field of Ephron the Hittite," Gensis 49:29, as a parallel]

And his sons Isaac and Ishmael buried him in the cave of Machpelah, in the field of Ephron the son of Zohar the Hittite, which is before Mamre; Genesis 25:9

The field which Abraham purchased of the sons of Heth: there was Abraham buried, and Sarah his wife. Genesis 25:10

And it came to pass after the death of Abraham, that God blessed his son Isaac; and Isaac dwelt by the well Lahairoi. Genesis 25:11

And Isaac digged again the wells of water, which they had digged in the days of Abraham his father; for the Philistines had stopped them after the death of Abraham: and he called their names after the names by which his father had called them. Genesis 26:18

There they buried Abraham and Sarah his wife; there they buried Isaac and Rebekah his wife; and there I buried Leah. Genesis 49:31

By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. Hebrews 11:8

These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. Hebrews 11:13

Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. John 5:25

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, John 5:28
Job Concurs:

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease. Job 14:7

Though the root thereof wax old in the earth, and the stock thereof die in the ground; Job 14:8

Yet through the scent of water it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant. Job 14:9

But man dieth, and wasteth away: yea, man giveth up the ghost, and where is he? Job 14:10

As the waters fail from the sea, and the flood decayeth and drieth up: Job 14:11

So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep. Job 14:12

O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me! Job 14:13

That "wrath" is the 7 last plagues, see Revelation. The appointed time is one of the resurrections.

If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come. Job 14:14

Thou shalt call, and I will answer thee: thou wilt have a desire to the work of thine hands. Job 14:15

The dead wait in the house and bed of the grave, in the dust of the earth, and sleep. When is that Call? At the Last Day, with the voice of Jesus and the Trump of God sounding:

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 1 Thessalonians 4:16

Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead. Isaiah 26:19

Our God shall come, and shall not keep silence: a fire shall devour before him, and it shall be very tempestuous round about him. Psalms 50:3

He shall call to the heavens from above, and to the earth, that he may judge his people. Psalms 50:4

Gather my saints together unto me; those that have made a covenant with me by sacrifice. Psalms 50:5

And he sends forth His angels to gather the ones which slept and are now alive and changed and the ones which were still living at the time and then changed.

Upvote 0
Jn.8:52, 53 "Abraham died" is the commentary of the Jews themselves on their expression, "shall not at all taste of death." Now we don't want to be as blind as them do we? Ie, with superficial blindness they substitute physical death for eternal death and thus pervert the Word of Jesus. V.53 second wrong deduction, ie, self explanatory.

You definitely get a "A" for caring.

Just ol' old Jack that also cares
Those "Jews" understood that Abraham was dead, even as Jesus did not correct that point, but more fully revealed to them what that meant, but they didn't understand what Jesus stated in regards to the resurrection, and thus Abraham was merely sleeping until that time:

Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. John 8:51

Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death. John 8:52

There was a huge heresy of the Sadducees that went around in those days, and many rejected the idea of the resurrection, though the Pharisees believed in the resurrection.

See what Jesus stated to the Sadducees here:

One at a time:

I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living. Matthew 22:32

In quoting Matthew, let us continue to quote the context...

The same day came to him the Sadducees, which say that there is no resurrection, and asked him, Matthew 22:23

Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. Matthew 22:29

For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. Matthew 22:30

But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying, Matthew 22:31

The context is the Resurrection, which is "at the last day"...

Abraham is dead asleep, buried, awaiting the call of Jesus at the last trump, and therefore not in heaven:

How about:

Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself? John 8:53

Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people. Genesis 25:8 [gathered to his people, see also "And he charged them, and said unto them, I am to be gathered unto my people: bury me with my fathers in the cave that is in the field of Ephron the Hittite," Gensis 49:29, as a parallel]

And his sons Isaac and Ishmael buried him in the cave of Machpelah, in the field of Ephron the son of Zohar the Hittite, which is before Mamre; Genesis 25:9

The field which Abraham purchased of the sons of Heth: there was Abraham buried, and Sarah his wife. Genesis 25:10

And it came to pass after the death of Abraham, that God blessed his son Isaac; and Isaac dwelt by the well Lahairoi. Genesis 25:11

And Isaac digged again the wells of water, which they had digged in the days of Abraham his father; for the Philistines had stopped them after the death of Abraham: and he called their names after the names by which his father had called them. Genesis 26:18

There they buried Abraham and Sarah his wife; there they buried Isaac and Rebekah his wife; and there I buried Leah. Genesis 49:31

By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. Hebrews 11:8

These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. Hebrews 11:13

Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live. John 5:25

Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, John 5:28

Job Concurs:

For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease. Job 14:7

Though the root thereof wax old in the earth, and the stock thereof die in the ground; Job 14:8

Yet through the scent of water it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant. Job 14:9

But man dieth, and wasteth away: yea, man giveth up the ghost, and where is he? Job 14:10

As the waters fail from the sea, and the flood decayeth and drieth up: Job 14:11

So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep. Job 14:12

O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me! Job 14:13

That "wrath" is the 7 last plagues, see Revelation. The appointed time is one of the resurrections.

If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come. Job 14:14

Thou shalt call, and I will answer thee: thou wilt have a desire to the work of thine hands. Job 14:15

The dead wait in the house and bed of the grave, in the dust of the earth, and sleep. When is that Call? At the Last Day, with the voice of Jesus and the Trump of God sounding:

For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 1 Thessalonians 4:16

Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead. Isaiah 26:19

Our God shall come, and shall not keep silence: a fire shall devour before him, and it shall be very tempestuous round about him. Psalms 50:3

He shall call to the heavens from above, and to the earth, that he may judge his people. Psalms 50:4

Gather my saints together unto me; those that have made a covenant with me by sacrifice. Psalms 50:5

And he sends forth His angels to gather the ones which slept and are now alive and changed and the ones which were still living at the time and then changed.
Abraham is dead, except as he is asleep in Christ Jesus, who will "raise him up at the last day":

And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. John 6:39

And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day. John 6:40

No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. John 6:44

Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. JOhn 6:54

Upvote 0
...The passage in Ecclesiastes that tells us that the spirit return to God. ...
Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern. Ecclesiastes 12:6

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. Ecclesiastes 12:7

Psalms 146:4:

Psalms 146:4
תצאH3318 רוחוH7307 ישׁבH7725 לאדמתוH127 ביוםH3117 ההואH1931 אבדוH6 עשׁתנתיו׃H6250 ...

Psalms 146:4 ThTSh'a UrVChV YShB L'aDMThV BYVM HHV'a 'aBDV 'yShThNThYV.

Therefore,
'his breath' [that which is given of God to animate, nothing conscious in it], and not 'himself', for the passage reads clearly that 'he returneth to his earth' and in that 'very day' 'his thoughts perish'.

...the
"thoughts" "perish": 'abad 'aBDV, meaning:
"1) perish, vanish, go astray, be destroyed
a) (Qal)
1) perish, die, be exterminated
2) perish, vanish (fig.)
3) be lost, strayed
b) (Piel)
1) to destroy, kill, cause to perish, to give up (as lost), exterminate
2) to blot out, do away with, cause to vanish, (fig.)
3) cause to stray, lose
c) (Hiphil)
1) to destroy, put to death
a) of divine judgment
2) object name of kings (fig.)"

God, even at the very beginning, in Genesis, ever so clearly defines "man" thus, "dust of the ground" + "breath of life" [being "breathed into the nostrils" by God] = "man" [a complete and total being, 'a living soul']...

" And the LORD God formed
man [of] the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." Genesis 2:7

...thus, this very
"breath of life" was "breathed into [the] nostrils" of "man" and it is this "breath of life" that returns back unto God "who gave it", and so in "death", "man" then "sleeps" without consciousness/awareness ["in that very day" his "thoughts perish"], being "return[ed] unto his earth", from which "he" was "taken", "sees corruption"...

Yes, the spirit of God, which is His, not ours, returns unto Him, even as it does for the other creatures:

For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity. Ecclesiastes 3:19

And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and every thing that is in the earth shall die. Genesis 6:17

And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life. Genesis 7:15

All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died. Genesis 7:22

In whose hand is the soul of every living thing, and the breath of all mankind. Job 12:10

All the while my breath is in me, and the spirit of God is in my nostrils; Job 27:3

Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things; Acts 17:25

By the way, all that breath of life of God returns unto Him, from the righteous, to the wicked, to the beasts of the earth. Where is God? He is in Heaven. Will Roman theology now suggest, unscripturally as always, that the wicked 'spirit' [as Rome would designate it] enters Heaven in the very presence of God, though the scriptures are clear that no such thing happens?

And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life. Revelation 21:27

They shall go down to the bars of the pit, when our rest together is in the dust. Job 17:16

One dieth in his full strength, being wholly at ease and quiet. Job 21:23

And another dieth in the bitterness of his soul, and never eateth with pleasure. Job 21:25

They shall lie down alike in the dust, and the worms shall cover them. Job 21:26

For ye say, Where is the house of the prince? and where are the dwelling places of the wicked? Job 21:28

That the wicked is reserved to the day of destruction? they shall be brought forth to the day of wrath. Job 21:30

Where are they reserved? In the grave, in the dust of the earth, buried, dead, asleep.

Yet shall he be brought to the grave, and shall remain in the tomb. Job 21:32

Upvote 0
There are other passages that speak of the "spirits of just men made perfect"
  • Hebrews 12:22-24 KJV But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, 23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, 24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.
God bless.
Hebrews 12 [vs 23]

Let us look at the texts in the Light of the Word of God and continue with a little more context...:

But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, Hebrews 12:22

To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, Hebrews 12:23

And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than [that of] Abel. Hebrews 12:24

See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more [shall not] we [escape], if we turn away from him that [speaketh] from heaven: Hebrews 12:25

Whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven. Hebrews 12:26

According to the text [vs. 24], Paul is speaking again about the comparison of the Old and New Covenants, in that the New Covenant is more Glorious [and "speaketh better things than [that of ] Abel"].

Again, as Paul elsewhere does [Galatians 4], He uses the events at Mt. Sinai [Exoodus 19 and 24, "all that the Lord hath said we will do", promises of the people of their own strength to obey GOD, which elsewhere in Hebrews, are found with "fault" [Hebrews 8:8]] to represent the Old Covenant [vs. 18-21, "the mount that might be touched", etc] and the Heavenly Jersualem, which is Above, being free, to represent the New Covenant [vs. 22]. This comparison is again found in Galatians 4:24-26:

Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. Galatians 4:24

For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. Galatians 4:25

But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. Galatians 4:26

So in Hebrews 12:22, "unto the city of the living GOD, the heavenly Jerusalem" is the same as "Jerusalem which is above is free...the mother of us all" in Galatians 4:26. Thus we can directly see the parallels that Paul is making in each Letter between the two Covenants, of Old and New.

Let us also immediately notice that these of the "general assembly and church of the firstborn" are merely "written in heaven" [apogegrammenwn; meaning "1) to write off, copy (from some pattern);2) to enter in a register or records;a) spec. to enter in public records the names of men, their property and income;b) to enrol" (Strong's Concordance) ie written down, recorded, registered, enrolled, etc] and are not actually and/or physically present there yet, since the Great Resurrections have not taken place yet, either the special, First [before 1000 years] or Second [after 1000 years; Revelation 20].

We find this elsewhere in scripture, where those who are in Christ Jesus are recorded, written, etc in the Lamb's Book of Life, while those not in Christ Jesus are to be removed, blotted, etc from it:

"Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be written with the righteous." Psalms 69:28

"...whose names [are] in the book of life." Philippians 4:3;p

"...the book of life..." Revelation 3:5

"...written in the book of life of the Lamb..." Revelation 13:8;p

"...written in the book of life from the foundation of the world..." Revelation 17:8;p

"...the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is [the book] of life..." Revelation 20:12;p

"...found written in the book of life..." Revelation 20:15;p

"...they which are written in the Lamb's book of life..." Revelation 21:27;p

"And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and [from] the things which are written in this book." Revelation 22:19

These church members need Christ Jesus as their "mediator" [vs 24] of the New Covenant.

Paul is describing the life of the Christian and their experience in the New Covenant in these Hebrew verses, not ethereal immortal incorporeals.

Jesus Christ clearly said:

In my Father's house are many mansions: if [it were] not [so], I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. John 14:2

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, [there] ye may be also. John 14:3

Jesus Christ bodily ["flesh and bones"] and physically ascended into Heaven to a very real place with real "foundations", a real city in Heaven, that even Abraham looked forward to, that "place" Jesus has gone to "prepare", and Abraham still awaits for in death [sleep] until His resurrection, in which Jesus said "I will come again", even as stated in Acts 1:11 "this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven":

"For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker [is] God." Hebrews 11:10

"And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb." Revelation 21:14

"And the foundations of the wall of the city [were] garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation [was] jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald;" Revelation 21:19

So as Paul says in Hebrews 12, a Christian comes to:

[1.] "to Mount Zion ... the city of the living God." [vs 22] Of which even Peter speaks the same of the Church on earth saying that they are, "lively stones, ... an spiritual house." [1 Peter 2:4-6], becoming a citizen of that Heavenly City, becoming part of the Temple of God.

[2.] "to an innumerable company of angels" [vs 22] of which explains the angelic ministry to the church here on earth in other verses, like "Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire:" [Psalms 104:4] and "And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire." [Hebrews 1:7]

[3.] "to the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven" [vs 23], which is still yet another description of the Body of Christ, the Church which is on this earth. Paul says basically the same elsewhere in Philippians 4:3, "And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and [with] other my fellowlabourers, whose names [are] in the book of life."

[4.] "to God the Judge of all" [vs 23], and parallels Pauls usage elsewhere in Hebrews by saying, "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." [Hebrews 4:16] and "Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them." [Hebrews 7:25], so we must come to GOD the Father, through Christ Jesus, by the Holy Spirit, while He is still able to make intercession for us.

[5.] "to the spirits of just men made perfect" [vs 23], this not meaning immortal incoporeal beings, ghost-men-essences floating in Heaven [a platonic dualism, which scripture no where teaches], but rather is speaking of the kindred spirit of Christian and Christian. Paul contrasts those who are walking "after the flesh", with those who are now Christians and are walking "after the spirit" [Romans 8:5]. So, these are Christians fellowshipping with other Christians on earth, who have been transformed by the renewing of the mind, by the power of GOD, comparing spiritual things with spiritual, in their experiencing the New Covenant, as even Hebrews 10:14 [and context] shows, "For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified." This is referring to "born-again" Christians, washed in the Blood of the Lamb, having the New Covenant and Law [Ten Commandments of God] written upon the Heart [Jeremiah 31:31-33; Ezekiel 37:26-28 [and context]; Hebrews 8:8-10, 10:16].Also see, "And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;" [Ephesians 4:23] and "...ye stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel;" [Philippains 1:27;p]

The people who have died [wicked and righteous], remain in their graves together, in death, in sleep [and thus are "alive unto God"] since they have not died the Second Death.

"[There is] no man that hath power over the spirit to retain the spirit; ..." Ecclesiastes 8:8

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. Ecclesiastes 12:7

His sons come to honour, and he knoweth [it] not; and they are brought low, but he perceiveth [it] not of them. Job 14:21

But man dieth, and wasteth away: yea, man giveth up the ghost, and where [is] he Job 14:10

... well "Where is he?" [context]

Notice, the "spirit shall return to God who gave it", that is "gave it" to you/I for the time you/I we were allowed to be alive and once removed and returned back unto God, you/I no longer have "it" [spirit] [you/I no longer "retain" it] and are dead, in "sleep", the body returning unto dust which "thou" are, for out of "it" [dust] were we "taken", nothing but "dust and ashes" [Genesis 3:19, 18:27; etc].

For the Roman Catholic, listen to it stated every Ash Wednesday in Roman Catholic services:

"Remember man that thou art dust and unto dust thou shalt return." - Roman Catholic Online Encyclopedia; "A"; "Ash Wednesday"

Said so many times, but never heard... I know...

We cannot retain the spirit, it is not ours, our life is derived from God's life, which is His.

There is no man that hath power over the spirit to retain the spirit; neither hath he power in the day of death: and there is no discharge in that war; neither shall wickedness deliver those that are given to it. Ecclesiastes 8:8

Upvote 0
...The passage in Wisdom that tell us that the souls of the just are with God; in his hands and safe from harm. ...
If this is referring to apocryphal material, or as known amongst the Roman faith the 'deuterocanon', it need not be addressed at all, since it is not scripture, no matter what the Jesuit Council of Trent [biblelight . net/bssb-1443-1444 . htm] declares, and is not accepted by myself for numerous reasons, beginning with its unscriptrual contradictions to scripture {Isa 8:20}, their historicity and inaccuracies therein, there language written in, their late appearance/insertions and 'acceptance' by Rome/Alexandria {both occultic centers and of greek philosophy}, and their tonation, as they do not read like the rest of scipture in chisams, parallels and poetry so on, and others are not found in the dead sea scrolls, such as the Roman accepted sections of Daniel-

www . biblelight . net/hebrew-canon . htm

"The decree of Council of Trent in 1546 declares everyone anathema, (cursed or condemned to destruction) who "does not accept as sacred and canonical the aforesaid books (the Apocrypha) in their entirety and with all their parts." So the question naturally comes up, why were they included in virtually all the early English Bibles and yet they are not in our most non-Catholic Bibles today? The influence toward crediting these writings with Bible authority did not begin until the 4th Century in the North African church. In fact, as we have seen, the Jewish Canon centered on the so-called Masoretic Text, which is written in Hebrew.

The apocryphal books were not included in the original Hebrew Old Testament preserved by the Jews. These books were written during the 200 years proceeding and the 100 years following the birth of Christ. Romans 3:2 tells us that God entrusted His Word to the care of the Jews.

Hence, since the apocryphal books were only a part of the Greek Septuagint canon and not the Hebrew canon, it is easy to see why the Jewish scribes believe that God guided them in the rejection of the Apocryphal books from the canon of Scripture."According to Torrey, the Jews not only rejected the Apocrypha, but after the overthrow of Jerusalem in 70 A.D., they went so far as to ‘destroy, systematically and thoroughly, the Semitic originals of all extra-canonical literature,’ including the Apocryphal. ‘The feeling of the leaders at that time,’ Torrey tells us, ‘is echoed in a later Palestinian writing (Midrash Qoheleth, 12,12): "Whosoever brings together in his house more than twenty-four books (the canonical scriptures) brings confusion.’" (The King James Version Defended by Dr. Edward F. Hills; Chapter 4). But there are those who maintain that these extra books were part of a so-called Alexandrian canon for it was in that city that the Septuagint translation was produced. But, the famous Jewish philosopher Philo of Alexandria (1st century), although quoting extensively from the Old Testament canon "never once quotes from any apocryphal books" (Archer 1974:73).

In addition, the Jewish Aquila version of the Old Testament (early 2nd century), which supplanted the Septuagint, did not contain the Apocrypha." (The Apocrypha also called Deutero-Canonical Writings by Lloyd Thomas; ftp . iafrica . com/ l/ll/lloyd/ Apocrypha . htm). Even, Josephus (AD 30-100), Jewish historian, explicitly excludes the Apocrypha, both by his count of the canonical books and his statement that from the time of Malachi no further canonical writings were composed, although records were kept - "because the exact succession of the prophets ceased" and "no one has dared to add anything to them, or take anything from them, or alter anything in them." I also want to point out that the Jewish scholars of Jamnia (AD 70) did not recognize the apocrypha.

No canon or council of the Church for the first four centuries recognized the Apocrypha as inspired. In fact, many, but not all, of the great church Fathers of the early church spoke out against the Apocrypha or confirm the exclusion of the Apocrypha by their count of the Old Testament books. Included are Athanasius, Origen, Cyril of Jerusalem, Bishop Melito of Sardis (170 AD), Tertullian, and Hilary of Poitiers.

So, why was the Apocrypha included in the early English Bibles. Simply stated, it was because of pressure by the Roman Catholic Church. Yet, we need to go way back to Jerome, translator of the Latin Vulgate in 405 AD for the answer. He counseled that those books not available in Hebrew canon were to be reckoned among the apocryphal writings. Jerome at first refused even to translate the Apocryphal books into Latin, but later he made a hurried translation of a few of them. While he did include some them in his translation, he noted that they should not be used to establish doctrine.

In an article titled, The Old Testament Canon the author says, "Jerome produced the standard Latin translation of the Bible, the Vulgate, and he felt that it was important for this purpose that he learn Hebrew. He discovered the opinion of the Jews in the matter of the canon, the falsity of the legend of the translation of the LXX (Septuagint), and as a result made many disparaging remarks about the disputed books, calling them apocrypha." (The Old Testament Canon; www . columbia . edu/cu/augustine/arch/ sbrandt/canon . htm; section 3.2).

In fact, "after his death, and literally 'over his dead body,' the Apocryphal books were brought into his Latin Vulgate translation directly from the Old Latin Version." (Outlines on Church History:The Collection of the Old Testament Scriptures - The Canon; thechristian . org/church_history/ ot_history . html; p.2)

Alexander McClure, who was a biographer of the KJV translators, writes:

"...the Apocryphal books in those times were more read and accounted of than now, though by no means placed on a level with the canonical books of Scripture" (Translators Revived, Alexander McClure, p. 185). He then lists several reasons assigned by the KJV translators for rejecting the Apocrypha as inspired.
1. The Thirty-nine Articles of the Church of England clearly states that the Apocrypha have no scriptural authority.

2. "...[the Church of England] doth not apply to them to establish any doctrine."

3. The Westminster Confession says, "The books commonly called Apocrypha, not being of divine inspiration, are no part of the canon of the Scripture; and therefore are of no authority in the Church of God, nor to be any otherwise approved, or made use of, than other human writings."

4. Luther included a note on the Apocrypha which stated, "These are books not to be held in equal esteem with those of Holy Scripture..."
So, returning to the question posed earlier: Why was the Apocrypha included in the early translations of the English Bible. First, the Roman Catholic influence played a major part. Secondly, the Apocrypha was considered to be of some literary and historical value. Some of the books do fill in some of the 400-year gap between the end of the Old Testament and the beginning of the New." - www . firstbaptistchurchoc . org/Sermons_06/apocrypha . htm

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.