Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Some peddle the doctrine of soul sleep - that once the body dies, the soul goes into a state of "sleep" or non-conscious existence.

This is proved Biblically impossible by the appearance of Moses and Elijah to Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration. Elijah's body was assumed into heaven, but Moses' body died and returned to dust. He was buried by God. And yet, the person of Moses appears in some sort of bodily (visible) form to Jesus on the Mount.

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Some peddle the doctrine of soul sleep - that once the body dies, the soul goes into a state of "sleep" or non-conscious existence.

This is proved Biblically impossible by the appearance of Moses and Elijah to Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration. Elijah's body was assumed into heaven, but Moses' body died and returned to dust. He was buried by God. And yet, the person of Moses appears in some sort of bodily (visible) form to Jesus on the Mount.
I've never heard the term "soul sleep," but I do sometimes wonder if we will join the others who are already in the resurrection, or will we all wake up at the same moment? With the Lord, anything is possible.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,077.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I've never heard the term "soul sleep," but I do sometimes wonder if we will join the others who are already in the resurrection, or will we all wake up at the same moment? With the Lord, anything is possible.

This is not about what's logically possible with the Lord. This is about what he's revealed to be the case. Soul sleep is not a false doctrine because of a deficiency in God. It's a false doctrine because it's contrary to Scripture.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
This is not about what's logically possible with the Lord. This is about what he's revealed to be the case. Soul sleep is not a false doctrine because of a deficiency in God. It's a false doctrine because it's contrary to Scripture.
My dad once told me you can find anything you want in the Bible, and I find a lot of people have opposing views and can support their views by scripture. I do tend to agree with you on this one, though. If the other point of view were true, then there would have to be a final day here in this world, and I don't see that happening.

Reactions: daffers234
Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I don’t pretend to argue for soul sleep, but could it not be argued that the Transfiguration was a specific special occurrence that may not represent the state of all souls at all times? Clearly, the Transfiguration was used to send a message that Jesus was the Son of God, and Elijah and Moses were used as witnesses to that. Could God, in Holy Trinity, not have suspended the usual state of affairs for this unique occurrence?

(That said, I think there are other arguments against soul sleep - like the rich man and Lazarus - that speak more to the issue).

Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟193,956.00
Faith
Christian

Yeh, I agree with that. There are a lot more Biblical evidences against soul sleep. You have Jesus' description of life after death in Luke 16 of Lazarus and the rich man. Both conscious. And prior to the resurrection as the rich man pleads for his brothers who are still alive.

Another is Php 1:22-24 "If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body." Paul saw the options as either dying and being with Christ, or staying to do more fruitful labor. But if soul sleep were the case then Paul would not view himself as immediately being with Christ upon death, and thus there would be no reason to desire to die since he could continue doing fruitful labor rather than sleeping.

Upvote 0

StephenDiscipleofYHWH

Jul 11, 2018
Ransom county
✟69,666.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single

Not at all if anything it reaffirms that the soul sleeps, as they appeared in the spirit to Christ on the Mount by God's will. Elijah's body was taken to the second part of heaven(2 Kings 2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.), not the third. Spiritual forms are indeed visible as Christ was visibly seen by Paul while he was in the spirit(Acts 9:3-6, Acts 22:6-10, Acts 26:14-18)

• Agree
Reactions: salt-n-light
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

While I am not going to state it as biblical fact, I do believe that it is possible there is a partial soul sleep. This lines up with reality because we partially sleep even in our own reality. The Bible many times parallels the spiritual with the real world.

You can check out more in this CF thread I created a while back (if you are interested):

https://www.christianforums.com/threads/could-there-be-a-partial-soul-sleep.7912841/

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

I agree with your reasoning.........
I actually believed in the Soul Sleep Theory from 1972 - 1990 but gave it up once I read some near death experience accounts. I had became an Atheist after being turned away by a Hellfire and Brimstone sermon.................... So it did help me personally to start reading the Bible.......

Once I read the following though.... many scriptures that I had overlooked and misunderstood came to my mind..... and I knew the Soul Sleep idea had been a serious error.

https://www.near-death.com/experiences/notable/george-ritchie.html#a05c

c. His Experience of the "Receiving Station"

Jesus then takes Ritchie to another realm and is shown a kind of "receiving station" where spirits would arrive in a deep hypnotic sleep because of a particular religious belief they held to be true. Here there were "angels" trying to arouse them and help them realize, "God is truly a God of the living and that they did not have to lie around sleeping until Gabriel or someone came along blowing on a horn." These are the spirits of people who believe they must sleep in their grave until the second coming of Christ (i.e., soul sleep.)

• Useful
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I believe the Bible's accounts of the afterlife. I don't believe in other people's visions or accounts. I believe they are all a part of the deception to make a person doubt God's Word in some way. For usually these accounts add something to the Bible that is not biblical or true. In fact, one of them even talks about a rainbow pony. One of them even talks about how a child was in fear of Jesus so they needed an angel to sing to them to calm them down. An angel? Really?! What is the devil? He is an angel.

Upvote 0

LaSorcia

Supporter
Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
In a way, it doesn't really matter. Whether we are instantly in heaven or our 'soul sleeps' for a thousand years, the next thing we will be conscious of after death is being in God's presence.

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don’t pretend to argue for soul sleep, but could it not be argued that the Transfiguration was a specific special occurrence that may not represent the state of all souls at all times? Clearly, the Transfiguration was used to send a message that Jesus was the Son of God, and Elijah and Moses were used as witnesses to that. Could God, in Holy Trinity, not have suspended the usual state of affairs for this unique occurrence?

(That said, I think there are other arguments against soul sleep - like the rich man and Lazarus - that speak more to the issue).
The best argument against soul sleep is to ask if Jesus meant what He said:

Luke 23: NASB

46Then Jesus called out in a loud voice, “Father, into Your hands I commit My Spirit.”f And when He had said this, He breathed His last.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
The best argument against soul sleep is to ask if Jesus meant what He said:
Luke 23: NASB
46Then Jesus called out in a loud voice, “Father, into Your hands I commit My Spirit.”f And when He had said this, He breathed His last.
what does this mean to you ?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
It’s apparent no?

Jesus Christ truly God and truly man.

Two natures One Person.
i.e. nothing at all to do with soul sleep, or where someone is when they die/'sleep' as Jesus put it a few times in the New Testament ?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i.e. nothing at all to do with soul sleep, or where someone is when they die/'sleep' as Jesus put it a few times in the New Testament ?
Sure it does. Jesus has to be just as human as we are. When He committed His spirit to the Father what does that mean to you?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Jesus trusted His Life to His Father.

Similarly Abraham trusted his son's life to Yahweh.

Similarly Daniel trusted his life to Yahweh , and would not deny Yahweh even to be spared from the lion's den.

Similarly Shadrack, Meshack and Abednego trusted their lives to Yahweh and would not deny Him even to the point of martyrdom being thrown in the super hot furnace.
Sure it does. Jesus has to be just as human as we are. When He committed His spirit to the Father what does that mean to you?

Upvote 0