• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Soul Sleep Biblically Impossible

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Tree of Life, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Survives on Coffee and Whiskey

+5,211
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    Some peddle the doctrine of soul sleep - that once the body dies, the soul goes into a state of "sleep" or non-conscious existence.

This is proved Biblically impossible by the appearance of Moses and Elijah to Jesus on the Mount of Transfiguration. Elijah's body was assumed into heaven, but Moses' body died and returned to dust. He was buried by God. And yet, the person of Moses appears in some sort of bodily (visible) form to Jesus on the Mount.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. dreadnought

dreadnought Lip service isn't really service. Supporter

+3,395
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    I've never heard the term "soul sleep," but I do sometimes wonder if we will join the others who are already in the resurrection, or will we all wake up at the same moment? With the Lord, anything is possible.

3. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Survives on Coffee and Whiskey

+5,211
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    This is not about what's logically possible with the Lord. This is about what he's revealed to be the case. Soul sleep is not a false doctrine because of a deficiency in God. It's a false doctrine because it's contrary to Scripture.

4. dreadnought

dreadnought Lip service isn't really service. Supporter

+3,395
    United States
    United Methodist
    Celibate
    My dad once told me you can find anything you want in the Bible, and I find a lot of people have opposing views and can support their views by scripture. I do tend to agree with you on this one, though. If the other point of view were true, then there would have to be a final day here in this world, and I don't see that happening.

5. “Paisios”

“Paisios” Sinner Supporter

+3,552
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I don’t pretend to argue for soul sleep, but could it not be argued that the Transfiguration was a specific special occurrence that may not represent the state of all souls at all times? Clearly, the Transfiguration was used to send a message that Jesus was the Son of God, and Elijah and Moses were used as witnesses to that. Could God, in Holy Trinity, not have suspended the usual state of affairs for this unique occurrence?

(That said, I think there are other arguments against soul sleep - like the rich man and Lazarus - that speak more to the issue).

6. bcbsr

bcbsr Newbie

+1,437
    Christian
    Yeh, I agree with that. There are a lot more Biblical evidences against soul sleep. You have Jesus' description of life after death in Luke 16 of Lazarus and the rich man. Both conscious. And prior to the resurrection as the rich man pleads for his brothers who are still alive.

Another is Php 1:22-24 "If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body." Paul saw the options as either dying and being with Christ, or staying to do more fruitful labor. But if soul sleep were the case then Paul would not view himself as immediately being with Christ upon death, and thus there would be no reason to desire to die since he could continue doing fruitful labor rather than sleeping.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. StephenDiscipleofYHWH

StephenDiscipleofYHWH Well-Known Member

+301
    United States
    Apostolic
    Single
    Not at all if anything it reaffirms that the soul sleeps, as they appeared in the spirit to Christ on the Mount by God's will. Elijah's body was taken to the second part of heaven(2 Kings 2:11 And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and horses of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.), not the third. Spiritual forms are indeed visible as Christ was visibly seen by Paul while he was in the spirit(Acts 9:3-6, Acts 22:6-10, Acts 26:14-18)

8. yeshuaslavejeff

yeshuaslavejeff simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua

+8,250
    Anabaptist
    Yahweh created everything simple.
    Man came up with many devices (traditions, doctrines, dogmas) ..... complicated errors...

9. Jason0047

Jason0047 Give in secret & you will be rewarded openly. Supporter

+4,513
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    While I am not going to state it as biblical fact, I do believe that it is possible there is a partial soul sleep. This lines up with reality because we partially sleep even in our own reality. The Bible many times parallels the spiritual with the real world.

You can check out more in this CF thread I created a while back (if you are interested):

https://www.christianforums.com/threads/could-there-be-a-partial-soul-sleep.7912841/

10. DennisTate

DennisTate Newbie Supporter

+1,094
    Canada
    Messianic
    Married
    CA-Conservatives

I agree with your reasoning.........
    I actually believed in the Soul Sleep Theory from 1972 - 1990 but gave it up once I read some near death experience accounts. I had became an Atheist after being turned away by a Hellfire and Brimstone sermon.................... So it did help me personally to start reading the Bible.......

Once I read the following though.... many scriptures that I had overlooked and misunderstood came to my mind..... and I knew the Soul Sleep idea had been a serious error.

https://www.near-death.com/experiences/notable/george-ritchie.html#a05c

11. Jason0047

Jason0047 Give in secret & you will be rewarded openly. Supporter

+4,513
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    I believe the Bible's accounts of the afterlife. I don't believe in other people's visions or accounts. I believe they are all a part of the deception to make a person doubt God's Word in some way. For usually these accounts add something to the Bible that is not biblical or true. In fact, one of them even talks about a rainbow pony. One of them even talks about how a child was in fear of Jesus so they needed an angel to sing to them to calm them down. An angel? Really?! What is the devil? He is an angel.

12. LaSorcia

LaSorcia I Love Lucy. Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+30,734
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    In a way, it doesn't really matter. Whether we are instantly in heaven or our 'soul sleeps' for a thousand years, the next thing we will be conscious of after death is being in God's presence.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  13. Original Happy Camper

Original Happy Camper One of GODS Children I am a historicist

+805
    United States
    SDA
    Married
    John 8:32
    And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

The Bible says that it does matter.

• Prayers Prayers x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. yeshuaslavejeff

+8,250
    Anabaptist
    The Bible also says most people never know.

15. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+26,012
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    The best argument against soul sleep is to ask if Jesus meant what He said:

Luke 23: NASB

46Then Jesus called out in a loud voice, “Father, into Your hands I commit My Spirit.”f And when He had said this, He breathed His last.

16. yeshuaslavejeff

+8,250
    Anabaptist
    what does this mean to you ?

17. redleghunter

+26,012
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    It’s apparent no?

Jesus Christ truly God and truly man.

Two natures One Person.

18. yeshuaslavejeff

+8,250
    Anabaptist
    i.e. nothing at all to do with soul sleep, or where someone is when they die/'sleep' as Jesus put it a few times in the New Testament ?

19. redleghunter

+26,012
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Sure it does. Jesus has to be just as human as we are. When He committed His spirit to the Father what does that mean to you?

20. yeshuaslavejeff

+8,250
    Anabaptist
    Jesus trusted His Life to His Father.

Similarly Abraham trusted his son's life to Yahweh.

Similarly Daniel trusted his life to Yahweh , and would not deny Yahweh even to be spared from the lion's den.

Similarly Shadrack, Meshack and Abednego trusted their lives to Yahweh and would not deny Him even to the point of martyrdom being thrown in the super hot furnace.