Soul goes to heaven before Resurrection? Soul goes to heaven after resurrection?

Do we immediately go to heaven when we die or no?

• the soul ascends to heaven BEFORE the resurrection

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • the soul ascends to heaven AFTER the resurrection

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Prior to Jesus, no one had ever gone into heaven:
John 3:13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.

Jesus, upon death, gave up his spirit to God:
Luke 23:46 Then Jesus called out in a loud voice, “Father, into Your hands I commit My Spirit

Even though Jesus gave up his spirit to God, it does not mean he ascended to heaven right after his death:
John 20:17 Do not cling to Me,” Jesus said, “for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go and tell My brothers, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, to My God and your God.’”

If Jesus did not ascend to the Father until AFTER his resurrection, why would we ascend to the Father BEFORE the resurrection?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE= ]Prior to Jesus, no one had ever gone into heaven:
John 3:13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.

Luke 23:46 Then Jesus called out in a loud voice, “Father, into Your hands I commit My Spirit

Even though Jesus gave up his spirit to God, it does not mean he ascended to heaven right after his death:
John 20:17 Do not cling to Me,” Jesus said, “for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go and tell My brothers, ‘I am ascending to My Father and your Father, to My God and your God.’”

If Jesus did not ascend to the Father until AFTER his resurrection, why would we ascend to the Father BEFORE the resurrection?
[/QUOTE

Tradition. (not in line with all Scripture)

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
2 Corinthians 5:6 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:
2 Corinthians 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
Philippians 1:21 For me to live is Christ and to die is gain.
1:22 But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not.
1:23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:
1:24 Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

Paul was under the impression when he died that he would be the presence of Jesus.

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Cor 5:8 We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

2 Corinthians 5:6 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:
2 Corinthians 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
Philippians 1:21 For me to live is Christ and to die is gain.
1:22 But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not.
1:23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:
1:24 Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

Paul was under the impression when he died that he would be the presence of Jesus.

I would argue Paul believed that because he also believed he was the living at the end of the ages:

Now these things happened to them as an example, but they were written down for our instruction, on whom the end of the ages has come.
1 Corinthians 10:11 -

And that the resurrection was about to be:

having a hope in God, which these men themselves accept, that there is about to be a resurrection of both the just and the unjust.
Acts 24:15 -

Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne. They cried out with a loud voice, “O Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long before you will judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?” Then they were each given a white robe and told to rest a little longer, until the number of their fellow servants and their brothers should be complete, who were to be killed as they themselves had been. ~Revelation 6:9-11

This is apparently where we go and rest until the resurrection.

Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Or maybe "heaven" is more than one spot.

http://www.[bless and do not curse]...ion/are-there-different-levels-of-heaven.html

And since time doesn't exist for God, chronological sequencing of events outside of earth doesn't really make sense. God is the Alpha and the Omega...He is the Beginning and the End...all at once

Why is Bible study dot org considered cursing?

The link is www. bible study dot org (one word) /question/are-there-different-levels-of-heaven.html

• Haha
Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2 Cor 5:8 We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord.

2 corinthians 5 is about the resurrection, of which the spirit is the guarantee:

He who has prepared us for this very thing is God, who has given us the Spirit as a guarantee.
2 Corinthians 5:5 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=2 Corinthians 5:5&version=ESV

In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.
Ephesians 1:13-14 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Ephesians 1:13-14&version=ESV

Upvote 0

claninja

Jan 8, 2017
indiana
✟298,336.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When he opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne. They cried out with a loud voice, “O Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long before you will judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?” Then they were each given a white robe and told to rest a little longer, until the number of their fellow servants and their brothers should be complete, who were to be killed as they themselves had been. ~Revelation 6:9-11

All believers rest underneath a literal alter before the resurrection? It says only the souls of those slain for the gospel, no?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

Appearances as such are not all they seem to be.
Read every instance in Scripture of what Yahweh Says, and ask for His Understanding.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Perhaps in prayer.

Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
All believers rest underneath a literal alter before the resurrection? It says only the souls of those slain for the gospel, no?
Yeah probably but it's clear that there is a resting place for them under the altar so there should be resting places for everyone else regardless. The fact that they are there when they are saved by God shows that we are held in resting places, all of us, until the resurrection.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

I believe heaven is what our lives turn into when we repent of our sin. I believe the resurrection is where we go after we die.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
John 3:13
And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

John's Gospel supposedly was written late, about 50 years after the death of Christ and 25 years after 2Cor 5:8 was written, the absent, present verse that everybody misinterprets. There has been NOTHING since then to indicate that this has changed. No one except Christ has ever ascended to Heaven, just like the Bible says. Everybody that has ever died is still dead and is still in hades, the grave. Those saints that are dead, waiting for a resurrection, are said to be asleep, a figure of speech. To them, however, it will be like sleep, in that no time has seemed to have passed.

When the Bible is silent, we also should be silent.

Upvote 0

ac28

Oct 29, 2013
✟46,442.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
When the Bible is silent, we also should be silent.
OH ?! Then there would be so few posters, so few threads..... not money to make (not enough income) to keep a site going !
That's true. And, of course, Catholics would not be allowed on the forum

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟799,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There has been NOTHING since then to indicate that this has changed.

I disagree.
I am of the view that 1 Thess 4:13-17 is a discussion of when the O.T. dead would escape Hades/Sheol and be united to Christ in the heavenlies. In short, Paul says that their release from Hades was about to happen, as the impending historic change of the covenants (Heb 8:13/2 Cor 3:6-11) was to be marked by the Temple's profanation/desecration (2 Thess 2:3-4/Matt 23:33-24:2) and God's wrath on their disobedient Jewish countrymen (1 Thess 2:15-16/Mt 23:33-38/Acts 3:22-24).

A great many Christians get off on the wrong foot by PRESUPPOSING that the bible teaches Resurrection of the Dead would be something tied to the "end of the NEW covenant age." For certain, the bible explicitly teaches there is no end to the New Covenant Age (Eph 3:21; Heb 13:20), and Paul's teaching in 1 Cor 15:55-56 shows how Resurrection of the Dead saints out of Hades is tied TO THE END OF THE OLD COVENANT AGE. Paul indicates this, saying:

1 Cor 15:54-56
"then shall be brought to pass the word that hath been written, 'The Death was swallowed up -- to victory; Where, O Death, is thy sting? Where, O Hades is thy victory?' And the sting of the death is sin, AND THE POWER OF SIN IS THE LAW

This simple passage, which all agree is the victory slogan at the time of the Resurrection of the Dead, clearly teaches that the victory over death came at the close of the MOSAIC LAW AGE, not some close of the New Covenant Age (again, there is no end of the New Covenant Age). It was sin and the Law of Moses which empowered sin that kept the dead from being released from Hades and taken to Heaven.

No one except Christ has ever ascended to Heaven, just like the Bible says. Everybody that has ever died is still dead and is still in hades, the grave. Those saints that are dead, waiting for a resurrection, are said to be asleep, a figure of speech. To them, however, it will be like sleep, in that no time has seemed to have passed.

If one should deny that 1 Cor 15:54-56 is fulfilled then they MUST agree with the Roman Catholics on the doctrine of Purgatory, for the Hades of 1 Cor 15:55-56 does not become part of Hell until Revelation 20:12-15! For futurists, this means Hades ("Sheol" in hebrew and "Purgatorio" in Latin) is still in existence exactly as the Catholic Church teaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: claninja
Upvote 0