✟186,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not the same.

Think of your spirit as a spiritual version of your body. (in my case minus 20 pounds)

Your soul is more of an abstract than a thing. It is your mind, will and emotions.

Body and spirit can both affect your soul. So for example emotions can come from body/flesh or the spirit. Same with ideas/thoughts. The flesh and spirit are continually in conflict to control/influence the soul.

This is part of what Romans 12 is referring to when it says do not be conformed to the world by be transformed by the renewing of your mind.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Watchman Nee delved into this. The Spiritual Man is a great book.

I recognize heart (emotions), mind (thoughts), body (physical body), and spirit (inner man).

Ideally as believers, we should be ruled by the spirit. Which means the other three defer to its authority. It becomes the control center.

However, you can be ruled by your thoughts. Logic becomes the epicenter of your person. Reason has taken center stage. Atheists and Agnostics are heavily influenced by this area.

You can be ruled by your emotions and lack discretion and discernment. They’re frequently tossed to-and-fro and are susceptible to double mindedness.

You can be ruled by the flesh and succumb to its carnal desires without abstaining or an ability to do so after a while. Addictions often reside here. Satisfying the flesh is the primary aim.

But when the spirit is at the helm it corrals the others and utilizes them in the proper measure without excess. Your weakest area is usually Satan’s primary place of attack. To strengthen them we must put on our spiritual armor.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Where is your soul and your spirit? Are they the same?

Yes they are the same:

In John 12:27, Jesus said, "Now is my soul (psuche) troubled", and in John 13:21 it says, "Jesus was troubled in his spirit (pneuma) John 13:21

Here spirit and soul are used interchangeably. He was troubled in his soul, and he was troubled in his spirit.

Genesis 35:18 (KJV)
18 And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing, (for she died) that she called his name Benoni: but his father called him Benjamin.

James 2:26 (KJV)
26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

Here they are used also interchangeably since the body is dead when the soul departs and the body is also dead when the spirit departs.

Keep in mind there aren't any actual difference in the definitions of soul and spirit in both Hebrew and Greek and even English. They are synonyms.

soul (sol) noun
1. The animating and vital principle in human beings, credited with the faculties of thought, action, and emotion and often conceived as an immaterial entity.
2. The spiritual nature of human beings, regarded as immortal, separable from the body at death, and susceptible to happiness or misery in a future state.
3. The disembodied spirit of a dead human being; a shade....
5. A human being: "the homes of some nine hundred souls" (Garrison Keillor).
6. The central or integral part; the vital core: "It saddens me that this network . . . may lose its soul, which is after all the quest for news" (M. Kalb).

spir·it (spîr¹ît) noun
1. a. The vital principle or animating force within living beings. b. Incorporeal consciousness....
2. The soul, considered as departing from the body of a person at death.
6. a. The part of a human being associated with the mind, will, and feelings: Though unable to join us today, they are with us in spirit. b. The essential nature of a person or group.
7. A person as characterized by a stated quality: He is a proud spirit.(11)

SOUL (nephesh):
1) soul, self, life, creature, person, appetite, mind, living being, desire, emotion, passion
1a) that which breathes, the breathing substance or being, soul, the inner being of man
1b) living being
1c) living being (with life in the blood)
1d) the man himself, self, person or individual
1e) seat of the appetites
1f) seat of emotions and passions

SPIRIT (ruach)
1) wind, breath, mind, spirit
1a) breath
1b) wind
1c) spirit (as that which breathes quickly in animation or agitation)
1c1) spirit, animation, vivacity, vigour
1c2) courage
1c3) temper, anger
1c4) impatience, patience
1c5) spirit, disposition (as troubled, bitter, discontented)
1c6) disposition (of various kinds), unaccountable or uncontrollable impulse
1d) spirit (of the living, breathing being in man and animals)
1d1) as gift, preserved by God, God's spirit, departing at death, disembodied being
1e) spirit (as seat of emotion)
1e1) desire
1e2) sorrow, trouble
1f) spirit
1f1) as seat or organ of mental acts
1f2) rarely of the will
1f3) as seat especially of moral character(13)

So in Hebrew "soul" refers to "that which breathes" and to the mind, desire, and emotions.
And "spirit" refers to "that which breathes" and the part of us which experiences emotions and is responsible for "mental acts."

Thayer's Greek words for soul (psuche) and spirit (pneuma):

SOUL (psuche):
1) breath
1a) the breath of life
1a1) the vital force which animates the body and shows itself in breathing
1a1a) of animals
1a12) of men
1b) life
1c) that in which there is life
1c1) a living being, a living soul
2) the soul
2a) the seat of the feelings, desires, affections, aversions (our heart, soul etc.)
2b) the (human) soul in so far as it is constituted that by the right use of the aids offered it by God it can attain its highest end and secure eternal blessedness, the soul regarded as a moral being designed for everlasting life
2c) the soul as an essence which differs from the body and is not dissolved by death....

SPIRIT (pneuma)
2) the spirit, i.e. the vital principal by which the body is animated
2a) the rational spirit, the power by which the human being feels, thinks, decides
2b) the soul
3) a spirit, i.e. a simple essence, devoid of all or at least all grosser matter, and possessed of the power of knowing, desiring, deciding, and acting
3a) a life giving spirit
3b) a human soul that has left the body
4) the disposition or influence which fills and governs the soul of any one
4a) the efficient source of any power, affection, emotion, desire, etc.(14)

Thus in Greek "soul" refers to the animating principle which feels, desires, and can attain everlasting life with God.
And "spirit" is also the animating principle which feels, thinks, and decides. And notice once again, the use of the word soul to define spirit (twice in fact: 2b,3b). Only #4 for spirit gives so much as a hint the two might be distinct.

Again using the Strong's:

Spirit
G4151
pneuma
pnyoo'-mah
From G4154; a current of air, that is, breath (blast) or a breeze; by analogy or figuratively a spirit, that is, (human) the rational soul, (by implication) vital principle, mental disposition, etc., or (superhuman) an angel, daemon, or (divine) God, Christ’s spirit, the Holy spirit: - ghost, life, spirit (-ual, -ually), mind. Compare G5590.

Soul
G5590
psuche
psoo-khay'
From G5594; breath, that is, (by implication) spirit, abstractly or concretely (the animal sentient principle only; thus distinguished on the one hand from G4151, which is the rational and immortal soul; and on the other from G2222, which is mere vitality, even of plants: these terms thus exactly correspond respectively to the Hebrew [H5315], [H7307] and [H2416]: - heart (+ -ily), life, mind, soul, + us, + you.

Summing up, overall the definitions of the English words and lexical entries for the Hebrew and Greek words indicate that "soul" and "spirit" are interchangeable terms, with common characteristics ascribed to both.[/quote]

Spirit: "by analogy or figuratively a spirit" and "the rational soul"
Soul: "(by implication) spirit" and "the rational and immortal soul"

Same exact meanings.

Unfortunately scripture doesn't provide any reasoning why the two have their own names or why we need two of something that is essentially two of the same thing with no provided difference between them. It's kind of like having a two headed coin, the same on both sides yet one side is not the other side per se'.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Where is your soul and your spirit? Are they the same? Are they in the heart or head or where?

Debatable.

I believe they are the same and they are different, depending on the context. It seems that in the Greek mindset, they are different. In the Hebrew mindset, they are the same.

We seem to understand the soul to be the seat of God's image; the heart is the seat of our affections; the mind is the seat of our intellect and reason.

Reactions: ilovejcsog
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
They are the same in Greek.

Is it?

"Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." - 1 Thessalonians 5:23

Upvote 0

BrotherJJ

Jul 23, 2019
North America
✟166,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Where is your soul and your spirit? Are they the same? Are they in the heart or head or where?

Short answer: Man is a spirit, that has a soul, that abides in a body.

Our spirit that was breathed into us by God Himself. Is the everlasting eternal part of each of us.

Our soul is our thoughts & emotions that direct the actions we take.

Our body, well look into a mirror.

God is Spirit: John 4:24

Gen 2:7 The LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and "breathed" into his nostrils the "breath of life"; and man became a living soul.
(NOTE: God breathed SPIRIT into a body He had prepared. And man became a living soul)

Our becoming a "living soul" is in relation to & in conjunction with the body.

1 Thess 5:23 (B) I pray God your whole "spirit" "soul" & "body" be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
(NOTE: Our spirit is our connection plug to God. Our soul is our mind/will/emotions. Our body is flesh & bones. Believers, thru faith (Faith is the conduit that connects to our plug) quickened/made spiritually alive, connected to God (1 Cor 2:11; Heb 4:12; Ja 2:26). While unbelievers are spiritually dead & remain separated from God (Eph 2:1-5; Col 2:15)

Heb_4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
(NOTE: I believe this verse say's: Although the spirit & soul are connected. God has the ability to divide/disconnect them.)

When the body dies & the two are no longer one. Yet, the spirit continues to lives on.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Matthew 16:26 & Mark 8:36 What would it profit a man. To gain the whole world & lose his soul.
(NOTE: A soul can be lost).

Our faith choice in this life will determine whether our spirit spend eternity in the presents of God with our soul in tact. Or eternity separated from God.

• Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

Our soul is in the space-time continuum...spirit is dimensionless and timeless.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟122,609.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Short answer: Man is a spirit, that has a soul, that abides in a body.

Our spirit that was breathed into us by God Himself. Is the everlasting eternal part of each of us.

Our soul is our thoughts & emotions that direct the actions we take.

Our body, well look into a mirror.

God is Spirit: John 4:24

Gen 2:7 The LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and "breathed" into his nostrils the "breath of life"; and man became a living soul.
(NOTE: God breathed SPIRIT into a body He had prepared. And man became a living soul)

Our becoming a "living soul" is in relation to & in conjunction with the body.

1 Thess 5:23 (B) I pray God your whole "spirit" "soul" & "body" be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
(NOTE: Our spirit is our connection plug to God. Our soul is our mind/will/emotions. Our body is flesh & bones. Believers, thru faith (Faith is the conduit that connects to our plug) quickened/made spiritually alive, connected to God (1 Cor 2:11; Heb 4:12; Ja 2:26). While unbelievers are spiritually dead & remain separated from God (Eph 2:1-5; Col 2:15)

Heb_4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
(NOTE: I believe this verse say's: Although the spirit & soul are connected. God has the ability to divide/disconnect them.)

When the body dies & the two are no longer one. Yet, the spirit continues to lives on.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Matthew 16:26 & Mark 8:36 What would it profit a man. To gain the whole world & lose his soul.
(NOTE: A soul can be lost).

Our faith choice in this life will determine whether our spirit spend eternity in the presents of God with our soul in tact. Or eternity separated from God.

This sounds like some sort of philosophical Greek thinking, that we are only spirits and that we part with the body forever. In the Scriptures, humans are not just spirits, but flesh too. There is also a resurrection of our bodies, fitly designed to exist in the new earth that will be created. Once we die, we enter a temporal paradise, but after the resurrection we enter into the manifested kingdom of God on a renewed earth. We will live in a united body and soul forever there.

• Informative
Reactions: ilovejcsog
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Soul has two definitions.

1: the word soul is an old English term that could be used in place of the word "person" or "human being". Basically if you had a soul you could be called a soul.

2: the word soul is also the spiritual part of human beings (its moral aspect), and survives death and is subject to reward or punishment after judgment.

1Th_5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Here we have all the parts that comprise a person: 1. body, 2. soul and 3. spirit. The soul here is definition 2 not 1.

1Pe_3:20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.

Here soul is speaking of all three, body soul and spirit together as a complete person and would be the soul of definition 1.

Upvote 0

Tone

Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Our soul is in the space-time continuum...spirit is dimensionless and timeless.

They are not the same.

The heart and head are components of the soul.

The spirit can't be pointed to...

*it is the whole, which also transcends temporal limitations.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
They are not the same.

The heart and head are components of the soul.

The spirit can't be pointed to...

*it is the whole, which also transcends temporal limitations.

Heart and mind reside in the soul. Which is what the term soulish refers to. But some Christian traditions don’t believe in a division. I’m aware that’s true for some Evangelicals.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tone

Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Heart and mind reside in the soul. Which is what the term soulish refers to. But some Christian traditions don’t believe in a division. I’m aware that’s true for some Evangelicals.

Division between soul and spirit?

Upvote 0

Tone

Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Yes. It came up at a church I once attended when we were studying James.

I can tell because of my gifts and the warfare I experienced prior to and after my deliverance.

They are not the same, but there is also no division...unless one is lost. What do you say?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟933,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
They are not the same, but there is also no division...unless one is lost. What do you say?

They are not the same. But the spiritual affects differ when you’re not in Christ than when you are. I address them as regions to pinpoint holes in my armor and areas of weakness prone to attack. I look at patterns to determine what strongholds he’s trying to erect.

As to true division, I cannot say and the information isn’t necessary for me to address a spiritual malady or detect it.

• Informative
Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

Tone

Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
They are not the same. But the spiritual affects differ when you’re not in Christ than when you are. I address them as regions to pinpoint holes in my armor and areas of weakness prone to attack. I look at patterns to determine what strongholds he’s trying to erect.

As to true division, I cannot say and the information isn’t necessary for me to address a spiritual malady or detect it.

Interesting. Yah bless you and please pray for me.

*I believe your prayers are effectual that's why...thank you.

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0