Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Walking by the spirit to me is ultimately to be like Jesus in that He only did what He saw His Father doing. We need to be attuned to the voice of our Shepherd and obedient - completly honest with ourselves before Him, keeping our accounts short, so that we don't become estranged. I certainly fall short, but the Lord is working on me!

Walking according to the soul would be to be self-centered and self-directed. Do what you want. It's how the world lives. Not listening to the voice of the Shepherd.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What do you guys think the difference is between soul and spirit?

How do we live and walk by spirit?

also, specifically, how do we do this in practical daily terms?

A great topic. I've always been uncertain about this because many learned Christians do speak of the two virtually interchangeably. It doesn't seem that they'd do so if there were a hard and fast difference.

By walking and living in the spirit, I suppose we mean according to the spiritual side of life and not the carnal side, also that we are guided by the Holy Spirit who is of course not seen, having no material presence among us as Christ did.

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,622.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
A great topic. I've always been uncertain about this because many learned Christians do speak of the two virtually interchangeably. It doesn't seem that they'd do so if there were a hard and fast difference.

By walking and living in the spirit, I suppose we mean according to the spiritual side of life and not the carnal side, also that we are guided by the Holy Spirit who is of course not seen, having no material presence among us as Christ did.
One thing I found helpful was when it was pointed out to me that in a number of places where Paul refers to the "flesh" or the "natural man" he is using the greek word Psuche, which refers to the soul.

I recently heard a sermon as well which asserted that when the scripture speaks of the 'heart' it is speaking of the soul. So far in my consideration, I think that to be true.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
yes, I agree with that, Simon. Furthermore, I have heard teaching (and it seems true to me) that the heart or soul can be broken down into the mind, the will, and the emotions. But I don't know scripture for that. Probably it was made up by a Westerner who just had to annnnnnalyze it....... ;)

Upvote 0

Simon_Templar

Not all who wander are lost
Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
✟34,622.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
yes, I agree with that, Simon. Furthermore, I have heard teaching (and it seems true to me) that the heart or soul can be broken down into the mind, the will, and the emotions. But I don't know scripture for that. Probably it was made up by a Westerner who just had to annnnnnalyze it....... ;)
I think that is basically true.

I've thought about that alot, and there isn't a lot of scripture one way or the other on the issue. I used to be of the opinion that both the spirit and the soul had aspects of mind, emotion, and will.

However, the same sermon I made reference to previously put forward the idea that the mind emotion and will are the soul, and the soul is what makes us who we are, its our personality. The spirit, on the other hand is essentially the house of God within us.

Thus what I was thinking of previously as the mind or emotion of the spirit, or the will of the spirit would really be, the degree to which your spirit (or the life of God in your spirit) has impacted your soul, and has reformed your soul.

The question I've been looking at for some time, is how, in practical terms do we see that happen and how do we cultivate it.

I've been interested to see that much of what I've heard from some current charismatic sources is nearly identical to what I've read from ancient and medieval Christian mystics.
Its interesting to me also because I was specifically praying for confirmation after reading some of the ancient and medieval sources because some of it seems fairly different to the modern mind, and then not long after asking God to show me the truth of it (or lack there of) a friend directed me to some sermons by current charismatic leader, and I stumbled across another charismatic website dealing with similar issues, and in both cases it was almost verbatim what I had already seen, plus it also answered some questions I had about the stuff I had read.

Even given that though, it is often difficult to translate that stuff into daily action. To know what to expect, whats normal etc.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
One thing I found helpful was when it was pointed out to me that in a number of places where Paul refers to the "flesh" or the "natural man" he is using the greek word Psuche, which refers to the soul.

I recently heard a sermon as well which asserted that when the scripture speaks of the 'heart' it is speaking of the soul. So far in my consideration, I think that to be true.

That seems right to me.

Many times when "soul" is used in another context, even by clergy, I recognize that they are using it in the offhand way that most moderns talk about this. That is to say, as a synonym for spirit.

Perhaps that is done so as not to confuse the listener with technicalities. An example that comes to mind is the Roman Catholic practice of speaking of "the poor souls in Purgatory" when these spirits is what is meant by that.

Upvote 0