Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I'm not going to try to say that there is some ulterior reality of motive existing within the minds of each and every atheist. It's just that when I was at the university, and being that I spent some extended time with fellow philosophy students, those with whom I interacted would often, and ultimately, tell me that 'Nietzche' was their patron.

Fair enough, but I'm not sure that represents atheists in general.

In your case, it could very well be that you're a Dawkinsite.

What's that? Does it make a difference if I've never read an atheist book by Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennett or Harris?

But, on an existential level, I get the sneaking suspicion that many atheists really do want to 'reconfigure' the world, and exert their Will to Power, even though they give lip service to democracy or whatever their favorite political/social position may happen to be.

What do you mean by that?

There's nothing undemocratic about influencing people within the democratic process.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Fair enough, but I'm not sure that represents atheists in general.
Of course, that is why I implied that it probably doesn't apply to all atheists. But, don't you have mornings when you wake up and feel like you want to have a "Will to Power" day? Or does just downing a good Macchiato do it for you? ;)

What's that? Does it make a difference if I've never read an atheist book by Dawkins, Hitchens, Dennett or Harris?
So, which one(s) did you read, Para?

What do you mean by that?
yep...you're a Machiavellian! I thought so. ;) (Just kidding, Para! Don't take it to heart.)

There's nothing undemocratic about influencing people within the democratic process.
Yeah... ... about that. Have you ever read the book, "Human Rights as Politics and Idolatry" by Michael Ignatieff?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Of course, that is why I implied that it probably doesn't apply to all atheists. But, don't you have mornings when you wake up and feel like you want to have a "Will to Power" day?

Na, I'm pretty laid-back. :D

Or does just downing a good Macchiato do it for you? ;)

Vodka and coke ;)

So, which one(s) did you read, Para?

I'm not sure I've fully read any. I didn't read any before losing faith.

yep...you're a Machiavellian! I thought so. ;)

Yeah... kill, power, oppression! ... or something?

(Just kidding, Para! Don't take it to heart.)

I'm a sensitive soul you know... I mean, a sensitive bundle of emotionless atoms.

Yeah... ... about that. Have you ever read the book, "Human Rights as Politics and Idolatry" by Michael Ignatieff?

Nope, why?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Na, I'm pretty laid-back. :D
*whew* That's good to hear! Because my sense of wit and humor (as bad as it is) got me "reported" a couple of days ago. Apparently, I stepped on someone's philosophical toe.

Vodka and coke ;)
I'd replace the coke with some mango juice ... ;)

I'm not sure I've fully read any. I didn't read any before losing faith.
Really? And here I thought you earned your philosophy degree (as I did in similar fashion), but then you had an existential spasm or something after reading a bunch of other stuff.

Yeah... kill, power, oppression! ... or something?
I just said Machievelli because it sounds like Macchiato. But, you already cleared up that little "misrepresentation" of mine. So, I guess there'll be no killing, power, or oppression from you...just some sombre sleeping on the couch instead. :rolleyes:

I'm a sensitive soul you know... I mean, a sensitive bundle of emotionless atoms.
You must be related to Darwin genetically, he had the same problem. :D [And yes, I know you're kidding...]

Nope, why?
It's a good (non-Christian) book that will give you a few things to think about. (Not that it would revolutionize your worldview or anything, but it is one area of philosophical critique that I pursue.)

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
*whew* That's good to hear! Because my sense of wit and humor (as bad as it is) got me "reported" a couple of days ago. Apparently, I stepped on someone's philosophical toe.

I don't report people... I don't believe in censorship.

I'd replace the coke with some mango juice ... ;)

I can get behind that.

Really? And here I thought you earned your philosophy degree (as I did in similar fashion), but then you had an existential spasm or something after reading a bunch of other stuff.

I started doubted my faith before university, while reading Christian books. I continued reading Christian books to try to retain my faith, but I came to the conculsion that there wasn't good reason to believe in God, with much heartache.

I just said Machievelli because it sounds like Macchiato. But, you already cleared up that little "misrepresentation" of mine. So, I guess there'll be no killing, power, or oppression from you...just some sombre sleeping on the couch instead. :rolleyes:

The kill comes only after I take control you know.

You must be related to Darwin genetically, he had the same problem. :D [And yes, I know you're kidding...]

I don't know what you mean, but I wouldn't mind being related to Darwin.

It's a good (non-Christian) book that will give you a few things to think about. (Not that it would revolutionize your worldview or anything, but it is one area of philosophical critique that I pursue.)

Things to think about such as?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't report people... I don't believe in censorship.
You're such a swell person, Para! (But, I'll bet you still don't let your boyfriend get away with too much at all, do you?) ;)

I started doubted my faith before university, while reading Christian books. I continued reading Christian books to try to retain my faith, but I came to the conculsion that there wasn't good reason to believe in God, with much heartache.
Yep...those Christian books will "do in" a person's faith every time. :rolleyes: (By the way, which books were you reading when it 'hit' you that your faith was just a bunch of fanciful, existential thought? I'm just wondering.)

The kill comes only after I take control you know.
LOL!!! Oh,...I see how you work! Thanks for the warning, Para. :)

I don't know what you mean, but I wouldn't mind being related to Darwin.
I'm just implying that you feel you have difficulty with Christian faith as he did. However, this isn't to say that you have the same thought patterns that he did, or that you're prone to bouts with depression or quasi-nihilistic (or maybe existential) thoughts as he did. :(

Things to think about such as?
That book I mentioned posits that the modern day concept of 'human rights' isn't impervious to philosophical criticism.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
You're such a swell person, Para! (But, I'll bet you still don't let your boyfriend get away with too much at all, do you?) ;)

Boyfriend? Ha! Next you'll think I'm a balanced person.

But na, I not a fussy person when I have someone to such to.

Yep...those Christian books will "do in" a person's faith every time. :rolleyes: (By the way, which books were you reading when it 'hit' you that your faith was just a bunch of fanciful, existential thought? I'm just wondering.)

I don't remember what book I was reading at the time, but it was more of a process than anything else. A knocking down of the cards that held the belief up.

Perhaps the pivotal was after a night out, starting hysterically laughing, emotionally realizing there was no God, on the way home. I think it was that I felt free. Religion lost it's grip on controlling who I should be, or believing what I thought was right.

LOL!!! Oh,...I see how you work! Thanks for the warning, Para. :)

That's okay.

I'm just implying that you feel you have difficulty with Christian faith as he did. However, this isn't to say that you have the same thought patterns that he did, or that you're prone to bouts with depression or quasi-nihilistic (or maybe existential) thoughts as he did. :(

Well, only mild depression, for a time. But I'm not a nihilist.

That book I mentioned posits that the modern day concept of 'human rights' isn't impervious to philosophical criticism.

I agree.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Boyfriend? Ha! Next you'll think I'm a balanced person.

But na, I not a fussy person when I have someone to such to.
lol! ... I'll keep in mind that you placed a delimitating term in your statement as to the frequency of your 'fussiness,' Para. ;) ("when?")

I don't remember what book I was reading at the time, but it was more of a process than anything else. A knocking down of the cards that held the belief up.
wow. ok. Maybe that's the problem; in the game of life, you're supposed to hold the cards in your hand as you play them---not make houses of cards. :rolleyes: (That's meant to be taken as wit or humor...however bad it may be.)

And it could be the book you were reading just wasn't very robust philosophically ...

Perhaps the pivotal was after a night out, starting hysterically laughing, emotionally realizing there was no God, on the way home. I think it was that I felt free. Religion lost it's grip on controlling who I should be, or believing what I thought was right.
So...let me get this straight. You were out having an evening on the town...then you started laughing...and that washed away all of your lingering religious beliefs. I'm prone to think that someone actually slipped you a 'mickey' in your drink and gave you some subliminal suggestions about what to believe...or not to believe. o_O :D

Well, only mild depression, for a time. But I'm not a nihilist.
Yeah............I have occasional bouts with depression myself. That's not fun. But, at least your not a nihilist.

So......................have your ever thought about taking an alternative approach to faith? :cool: What would you have to lose existentially by doing so?

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
lol! ... I'll keep in mind that you placed a delimitating term in your statement as to the frequency of your 'fussiness,' Para. ;) ("when?")

I'm not fussy, I just want to be Queen and dictator.

wow. ok. Maybe that's the problem; in the game of life, you're supposed to hold the cards in your hand as you play them---not make houses of cards. :rolleyes: (That's meant to be taken as wit or humor...however bad it may be.)

Or make a clock out of them.

And it could be the book you were reading just wasn't very robust philosophically ...

I'm not say I lost belief because of a book.

So...let me get this straight. You were out having an evening on the town...then you started laughing...and that washed away all of your lingering religious beliefs. I'm prone to think that someone actually slipped you a 'mickey' in your drink and gave you some subliminal suggestions about what to believe...or not to believe. o_O :D

Well I was in the middle of a field by that point.

That was more the time I let it go.

Yeah............I have occasional bouts with depression myself. That's not fun. But, at least your not a nihilist.

I don't believe in nihilism. ;)

So......................have your ever thought about taking an alternative approach to faith? :cool: What would you have to lose existentially by doing so?

Have you thought about taking an alternative approach to elves? :)

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I like Dostoevsky better. Kierkegaard sometimes comes across as a mentally ill man hiding behind self-styled religious sentiments. Dostovesky's Christian faith doesn't leave one standing alone against their fellow human being.
My brother said a similar thing but Dosteovsky could do no wrong in his eyes.
Don't some regard Kirkegaard as the father of existentialism? I admire his courage and originality though. He was ahead of his time I think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm not fussy, I just want to be Queen and dictator.
:ahah:

Or make a clock out of them.
I guess only time will tell, existentially speaking ...

I'm not say I lost belief because of a book.
Well, it doesn't sound like that book didn't help with an existential crisis.

Well I was in the middle of a field by that point.
So, I guess you were out making crop-circles. (C'mon, Para...I know it was you! ;))

That was more the time I let it go.

I don't believe in nihilism. ;)
Wow. We've got something common. :rolleyes:

Have you thought about taking an alternative approach to elves? :)
Actually, now that you've brought it up, I have. :cool: In fact, this would fit with my alternative approach to dragons that I took up ... a while back. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Well, it doesn't sound like that book didn't help with an existential crisis.

The double negative means you think the book did help. I'm not sure that's what you mean.

But either way, cheese sandwiches didn't help either... that doesn't mean they are bad.

So, I guess you were out making crop-circles. (C'mon, Para...I know it was you! ;))

How'd you figure out I was an alien? Phone home....

Actually, now that you've brought it up, I have. :cool: In fact, this would fit with my alternative approach to dragons that I took up ... a while back. :D

Can I have a dragon? I want to be Queen of Dragons too.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The double negative means you think the book did help. I'm not sure that's what you mean.
Yeah, that double negative was an accident. I was having an existential brain lapse when I wrote that sentence.

So, let's just say the book you read didn't have any bearing on the existential feelings and notions you were contemplating and experiencing while you were making crop circles. :rolleyes:

But either way, cheese sandwiches didn't help either... that doesn't mean they are bad.
Aha! I think I know what your problem is now, Para! You're cheesy! Don't you know that cheese sandwiches are fraught with all kinds of spiritual complications? You probably need to consider taking some spiritual prune juice...:confused:

How'd you figure out I was an alien? Phone home....
Well, I knew you were from "over there"; so something had to be amiss! ;) Plus, I followed your Reese's Pieces trail, and I discovered the truth about you.

Can I have a dragon? I want to be Queen of Dragons too.
I don't think dragons like to share their mountain habitations, at least they didn't last I checked. :)

2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Yeah, that double negative was an accident. I was having an existential brain lapse when I wrote that sentence.

So, let's just say the book you read didn't have any bearing on the existential feelings and notions you were contemplating and experiencing while you were making crop circles. :rolleyes:

Leave me circular corn alone!

Aha! I think I know what your problem is now, Para! You're cheesy! Don't you know that cheese sandwiches are fraught with all kinds of spiritual complications? You probably need to consider taking some spiritual prune juice...:confused:

Well Ebenezer Scrooge thought Marley was a crumb of cheese.

Well, I knew you were from "over there"; so something had to be amiss! ;) Plus, I followed your Reese's Pieces trail, and I discovered the truth about you.

Britain is basically space.

('Reese's Pieces trail' seems like an American reference).

I don't think dragons like to share their mountain habitations, at least they didn't last I checked. :)

They do with me. :D

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Leave me circular corn alone!
:rolleyes:

Well Ebenezer Scrooge thought Marley was a crumb of cheese.
Wasn't the key word in the self-dialogue of Scrooge's that his seeing Marley 'might' be the remnants of a (tainted) crumb of cheese?

Britain is basically space.
A very watchful space, at that. o_O

('Reese's Pieces trail' seems like an American reference).
That's from the movie, "E.T." :doh:

They do with me. :D
... ok. then. Dragon Queen. :rolleyes: I see we need to talk philosophy on a serious level at some point. That is, if you're up for it. You might not be since you're probably worn out from making crop circles.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paradoxum

Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Wasn't the key word in the self-dialogue of Scrooge's that his seeing Marley 'might' be the remnants of a (tainted) crumb of cheese?

Maybe...

That's from the movie, "E.T." :doh:

Seen the film, but I don't know the quote.

... ok. then. Dragon Queen. :rolleyes: I see we need to talk philosophy on a serious level at some point. That is, if you're up for it. You might not be since you're probably worn out from making crop circles.

Sure. Crop circles as so last decade.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
'Maybe' is good. It opens up possibilities.

Seen the film, but I don't know the quote.
...it wasn't a quote really, but a scene from the film. The kids in the film actually laid out a trail of Reese's Pieces for E.T. to follow.

Sure. Crop circles as so last decade.
So now what? (2PhiloVoid lobs formidable existential question at Para...)

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Crop circles are now fake news ;)

My question wasn't actually directed to crop circle making, but rather to the existential direction to which our discussion might take at the moment. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Upvote 0