Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have never seen such an outpouring of Christian love and compassion until today.
I see you are still hanging in there; looking for an opportunity to pounce but thank you so much for the compliment.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks! I always wonder what people from certain cities are called...so it's "Los Angelinos" or just "Angelinos"?
In the meantime...200Gs is a LOT of people. All the more shocking that there isn't a WHIFF of concern here on CHRISTIAN Forums. Sorry you live in a powerfully blue state GoldenBoy89.
I think many Right wing Christians feel LA is a loss cause. They think it's the poor welfare seekers looser city. But the people loosing their homes are middle or upper class. I'm sure many are hard cord right wing and liberals. Since not all liberal are poor. And only vote for Democrats to get free stuff from the government. Like some conservative are brain washed to believe.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,612.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
If one chooses to live in a flood plain they will most likely suffer a devastating flood. If one chooses to live on or near a fault line they will also most likely suffer tremors to an earth quake. If one chooses to live on the shore of an ocean they will most likely suffer from devastating erosion. If one chooses to live in an area constantly ravaged by wild fires they will most likely suffer from wild fires. No; no news to me. Hopefully, knowing the high risk of choosing to live in any of these areas these people had good insurance.

There is such a high percentage of much safer un-populated land in the USA. Although it may not be on the ocean it is a lot safer from any of the catastrophes mentioned above. It is too bad but if one makes their bed they got to lie in it, too. We all have to suffer consequences of our actions.
But couldnt it be unsafe, tragic and a lack of safe judement (essentially high risk tolerance)?
Or at least just sit there and let em be sad. You dont gotta rub their nose in your position. Who know maybe give them some help?

• Agree
Reactions: Aryeh Jay
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,612.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
There are so many horrifying pictures from the fires online. Here are a few my family sent that capture some of the unsettling beauty created from the catastrophic fires:

My mom took this early Tuesday morning of the view from our kitchen of the sunrise set within the smoke:
View attachment 215627

Tuesday midday with all the gray from the smoke:
View attachment 215629

View attachment 215630

It's not fog or smoke on the horizon, it's smoke:
View attachment 215631
Now imagine living in an industrial city in china. Worse than that every day.
Hug. Hope you family stays safe...and you.
Still

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I see you are still hanging in there; looking for an opportunity to pounce but thank you so much for the compliment.

The only thing I am pouncing on is the snow. You gotta love lake effect in Western Michigan.

Upvote 0

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The only thing I am pouncing on is the snow. You gotta love lake effect in Western Michigan.
Well, I don't HAVE to love the snow. But I choose to live here so I deal with it. I love the other three seasons here; except dealing with the tons of leaves which is another consequence of my choice to live here so I deal with it in spite of several painful handicaps. If the day comes when I cannot deal with things here (environmentally) any more I will move to a different environment.

Regarding previous post: True love allows another to suffer the consequences of their poor decisions. I periodically make unwise decisions and those who love me don't jump in and remove those consequences. They allow me to suffer them so I can learn what I need to so that I can make better decisions/choices about my life.

Also, calamity and hardship are ways God deals with prevalent sin; when the stench fills His nostrils, so to speak. On the perversion and such scale in the USA California ranks high or highest. How do we not know that God is dealing with California for this?

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Well, I don't HAVE to love the snow. But I choose to live here so I deal with it. I love the other three seasons here; except dealing with the tons of leaves which is another consequence of my choice to live here so I deal with it in spite of several painful handicaps. If the day comes when I cannot deal with things here (environmentally) any more I will move to a different environment.

Regarding previous post: True love allows another to suffer the consequences of their poor decisions. I periodically make unwise decisions and those who love me don't jump in and remove those consequences. They allow me to suffer them so I can learn what I need to so that I can make better decisions/choices about my life.

Also, calamity and hardship are ways God deals with prevalent sin; when the stench fills His nostrils, so to speak. On the perversion and such scale in the USA California ranks high or highest. How do we not know that God is dealing with California for this?

Leaves!!! AUGGH! After living in Grant on 10 acres, eight of the acres maple and oak trees, I knew better than to buy a house with trees. I have one little tree in my yard that drops maybe 12 leaves now, however, all my neighbors have trees with leaves and after the wind Tuesday, they are now all in my yard, as well as all the plastic water bottles that got blown out of recycling throughout the neighborhood. At least I can’t see it under the snow.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Stanfordella, post: This was from Tuesday afternoon:

Dear Bel Air Family,

As you are aware there are multiple fires that are affecting Los Angeles and surrounding counties. One of our local partners has been directly affected. Early today, Union Rescue Mission's (URM) Family Center for Women and Children, Hope Gardens, was evacuated due to fire surrounding their property in Sylmar. The families were successfully transported to URM (downtown LA) but had very little notice, some even leaving without shoes or more than one outfit. We do not yet know the extent of any damage to the Hope Gardens facility if any, but it is not safe for them to return at this time. This is where we can help and show the love of Jesus in a tangible way.

Firstly, please PRAY for these families and anyone else affected by these fires. Please also pray for the first responders including members of our church who are firefighters, fire captains, paramedics, and ER personnel.

Also, if you or anyone you know has been evacuated, please let us know. We want to help. Email Joanne Marcos.

Secondly, if you are able, please CONSIDER DONATING one or more of the items below that Hope Gardens is specifically requesting.

Bring or Ship directly to URM:

Clothing for Teen Boys, Girls, Boys, and Women

Diapers, Wipes, and Bottles

Towels, Body Wash, Linens, and Air Mattresses

Union Rescue Mission
Attn. Lucy Rivas
545 S. San Pedro Street
Los Angeles, CA 90013

If you use Amazon to purchase/ship your donation, you can set Bel Air Presbyterian Church as your Amazon Smile recipient and Amazon will give a portion of your purchase to the church. It's a win-win! If you are interested in volunteering, visit URM's website and get involved.

On the journey with you,

Rev. Dr. Drew Sams
Senior Pastor and Head of Staff

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
MAn...seriously guy.
So when the next Tornado rips through the Bible belt in, oh, I don't know, a couple of months, do people get to say how disappointed God must be in the people who live there?
These natural events happen all over the world.

In the town north of me there was a big and terrifying fire (Fort McMurray Alberta). It is THE big oil producing town in Canada. There are PLENTY of people who disagree with what that town stands for. But it was only a small, very TINY portion of those people who had the audacious rudeness to suggest there was "justice" that "climate change caused this fire and they should smarten up". It's just a jerk move to have shaudenfreude when people are escaping terror. Did you laugh at all the sinners running out of the 9/11 towers? I'm sure you didn't.
Please take the part you bolded within the context of the post surrounding it. I was speaking of "feelings" vs facts. I was sharing that "gut reaction" or "karma" concept, while bringing it down to the fact that it is like any place else in the world, regarding the quality of each individual.

Think of it this way: I was sharing that it was like, after being passed by a crazy tailgating speeder, you then come around a corner and see his car wrapped around a tree with his dead body hanging out of it. Part of you says, serves him right, and the larger part of you says, this was just a flawed human like me and this is a tragedy.

That's all I was saying about the area.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well with 40 million people we are naturally going to stick out a bit more. That doesn't mean your neighbors aren't as bad as anyone here.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,612.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Please take the part you bolded within the context of the post surrounding it. I was speaking of "feelings" vs facts. I was sharing that "gut reaction" or "karma" concept, while bringing it down to the fact that it is like any place else in the world, regarding the quality of each individual.

Think of it this way: I was sharing that it was like, after being passed by a crazy tailgating speeder, you then come around a corner and see his car wrapped around a tree with his dead body hanging out of it. Part of you says, serves him right, and the larger part of you says, this was just a flawed human like me and this is a tragedy.

That's all I was saying about the area.
IF I see a dude getting a ticket, I think HA. IF I see a dead body I think "Oh man. That poor family that lost a loved one. That is a tragedy".

Different approaches I guess.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I was a toddler the last time we had a major earthquake here so I barely remember it but the small ones we get every once in a while never really bothered me. They certainly are startling and it's not something people can just get used to and anytime an earthquake starts there's always a chance that it'll keep going and get stronger or that a small one can then trigger a much larger aftershock but, I don't really worry about it. There's plenty of other things that can get ya between the earthquakes and wildfires.

Really, I'd say the fires are a much bigger threat to life and property than an earthquake.

Years ago I paid attention to a bad quake in Turkey. 10s of 1000s dead. Stone buildings and below zero temperatures every night is a bad combination. Here in Los Angeles it is almost always above freezing at night and most people own a car. Spending the night in your car when the temps are in the low 50s may be unpleasant but it is far from fatal.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I was a toddler the last time we had a major earthquake here so I barely remember it but the small ones we get every once in a while never really bothered me. They certainly are startling and it's not something people can just get used to and anytime an earthquake starts there's always a chance that it'll keep going and get stronger or that a small one can then trigger a much larger aftershock but, I don't really worry about it. There's plenty of other things that can get ya between the earthquakes and wildfires.

Really, I'd say the fires are a much bigger threat to life and property than an earthquake.

Certainly to life. In the last 100 years it looks like there have been under 200 deaths in California due to Earthquakes.

MAJOR CALIFORNIA EARTHQUAKES

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IF I see a dude getting a ticket, I think HA. IF I see a dead body I think "Oh man. That poor family that lost a loved one. That is a tragedy".

Different approaches I guess.
Yes. Getting a ticket is a better reflection of what I'm trying to communicate.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟367,612.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Yes. Getting a ticket is a better reflection of what I'm trying to communicate.
Whew!!! Thanks for clarifying.

At the same time losing every thing you own. Is going to illicit only sympathy from me and nothing else.

Having had a house fire myself and losing (luckily) only a few things i cant imagine the life impact that would be to be permanently displaced and having to do it all again

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
True fact -- on the same day of the Great Chicago Fire, there was an even greater fire in Wisconsin, the Peshtigo Fire, which killed more than a thousand people. Presumably, because the gods knew these people's descendants would grow up to be Packers fans.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟572,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status