• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sooo....No love for LA today?

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by rambot, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli Paleoconservative

+1,834
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I recently swapped my 310 number out for a 714 one, so I didn't see that, but I can see the smoke from the Thomas fire. My wife texted me this yesterday though...
    IMG_31001.jpg

2. wing2000

wing2000 Ex Crosswalk Member Supporter

+2,694
    Christian
    Married
    Prayers for you and your family. Thank you for sharing the acts of human kindness in the midst of a tragedy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+4,147
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    All safe here, thanks. Can certainly see plumes of smoke.

My spouse got the phone emergency message, but I didn't.

A coworker came down the 405 past the fire yesterday morning, and I can't imagine how crazy that must have been.

A lot of friends have been dealing with school closures and road closures, etc., but nothing directly threatening them.

The winds are high, but (from my perspective) they carry everything out to the ocean.

It's hard for some people to grasp how big 'Los Angeles' is.

[​IMG]

Roughly speaking, I'm perched on top of the L in Los, and downtown is a bit above the s in Los.

Ventura, where the worst fires are, is in a neighboring county, though it's certainly part of the Greater Los Angeles area.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+4,739
    United States
    Married
    I was born in Ventura and grew up there and Santa Barbara. The Painted Cave fire started right after I left for Navy Boot Camp in Illinois and getting news was next to impossible.

5. essentialsaltes

essentialsaltes Stranger in a Strange Land

+4,147
    Atheist
    Legal Union (Other)
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. brinny

brinny everlovin' shiner of light in dark places Supporter

+89,652
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Have you visited the Prayer Forum and support and encouragement forums?

I didn't know anything about what is going on in California. The OP was not clear to me. Sorry if i've missed something.

Nevertheless, there IS a prayer thread for California. I can post a link if you like.

i will go there now to pray for California.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  7. Almost there

Almost there Well-Known Member

+833
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    My daughter and her husband just left Studio City and moved to the Phoenix area. I have no relatives there any more, nor do I have any love for that city. However, I don't wish that on anyone. I am a bit torn because I see it, at least in a kind of weird "justice" way as a Sodom and Gomorrah thing, except there ARE a lot of good people in that area. It's just the stronger "evil doers" that get all the press.

8. Aryeh Jay

+4,739
    United States
    Married
    I used to post prayer requests there when I was an Ambassador but it has become a Christian’s only area in the last two years.

9. brinny

+89,652
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    Then you are aware of the prayers and support there already. Also, there's nothing preventing you from reading there.

10. Aryeh Jay

+4,739
    United States
    Married
    Of course, I was just commenting that “you chose to live there” and “you made your bed, now sleep in it” didn’t sound like too much like Christian Compassion. Perhaps there are other internet sites that have some, I will look.

11. brinny

+89,652
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    I found some footage on Youtube.

The OP was confusing to me. Perhaps there should have been a request for prayer and why.

12. GoldenBoy89

GoldenBoy89 We're Still Here

+8,842
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I was a toddler the last time we had a major earthquake here so I barely remember it but the small ones we get every once in a while never really bothered me. They certainly are startling and it's not something people can just get used to and anytime an earthquake starts there's always a chance that it'll keep going and get stronger or that a small one can then trigger a much larger aftershock but, I don't really worry about it. There's plenty of other things that can get ya between the earthquakes and wildfires.

Really, I'd say the fires are a much bigger threat to life and property than an earthquake.

13. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+3,687
    Atheist
    Single
    Heck the fire were the biggest threat in the worst Earthquake in California if we make the measure loss of life. The San Francisco Quake was so devastating because both water and gas lines broke and fires spread.

Still California is hardly a dangerous place as far as nature goes. I remember both the Sylmar and Northridge quakes. My most vivid memory of the Sylmar Quake is the comments made by the cleaning lady who worked for us one day every 2 weeks. There was a pastor who post quake was leading his flock to somewhere safe, only somewhere safe was right in the middle of tornado ally. That is where she had grown up and her comments about searching for arms and legs (in a tone implying that they were hoping but not expecting them to still be attached) made it quite clear which place she considered the more dangerous.

14. keith99

+3,687
    Atheist
    Single
    818 area code for me and I'd not be surprised if I'm towards the East end of the area the next 3 numbers cover. I'm about 8 miles West and 4 North of the Skirball fire. No notifications and I just went outside and no sign of any fires. Actually that is indicative of the thing that makes these fires dangerous, the high winds. The smoke is scattered quickly. On a calm day there would be a chance to see the smoke from a fire covering just a couple of acres up there from my house.

15. GoldenBoy89

GoldenBoy89 We're Still Here

+8,842
    Humanist
    Single
    US-Democrat
    I agree. I'll take the occasional earthquakes waking me up in the middle of the night over having to watch out for flying debris in a hurricane or tornado.

16. keith99

+3,687
    Atheist
    Single
    Not to mention the biggest quake in the lower 48 since the white man has been here was not in California or even close. It was the last time the New Madrid fault system broke loose. Next time it goes may well be just as big and the local building codes will still not be up to what California has had for decades.

17. rambot

rambot Senior Member

+3,162
    Christian
    Married
    CA-Greens
    MAn...seriously guy.
    So when the next Tornado rips through the Bible belt in, oh, I don't know, a couple of months, do people get to say how disappointed God must be in the people who live there?
    These natural events happen all over the world.

In the town north of me there was a big and terrifying fire (Fort McMurray Alberta). It is THE big oil producing town in Canada. There are PLENTY of people who disagree with what that town stands for. But it was only a small, very TINY portion of those people who had the audacious rudeness to suggest there was "justice" that "climate change caused this fire and they should smarten up". It's just a jerk move to have shaudenfreude when people are escaping terror. Did you laugh at all the sinners running out of the 9/11 towers? I'm sure you didn't.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+5,634
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    This morning we talked to our friends who live on the outskirts of LA. Two days ago they were told they should evacuate. They live in a gated community where all the owners got together and decided to stay. They all soaked their homes and trees with water and still have their sprinklers running on their yards. When the fire came through on the hill behind them it missed them and any sparks on the wind landed on wet materials.
    He said that he used to look out his upstairs east windows at a grassy hills and trees, now everything is just charred black.

19. keith99

+3,687
    Atheist
    Single
    Great running the water and dropping the pressure even after the fire has past. Such good people.

20. Landon Caeli

Landon Caeli Paleoconservative

+1,834
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Risky, but very impressive!