Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is something I've wondered about for years; so this is not a knock on the younger generation or church;

and that is Christian songs with lyrics about being on our knees before the Lord Jesus Christ; to worship Him and to ask Him for help--on our knees.

I've seen hymns sung in churches with the words like; "we come before you Lord; on our knees again..." and no one in the entire congregation gets on their knees.

It used to be a thing years ago; back in the distant past when our church would have an "altar call" where those needing help from the Lord would come to the front of the church;

usually at the end of service; and ask God for help; and we would sing a song (doxology I think they called it) about getting on your knees before the Lord;

everyone that came forward would get on their knees--and pray through--till they felt they got an answer.

and the pastoral staff would come around and pray for each person.

And on the P&W videos; of church bands singing praise services; once in a great while you will see a person--usually a band member--get down on there knees; but it's so unusual to seem out of place.

So is this a thing of the past that is just not done anymore? And it hasn't stopped the Christian bands from writing songs about being on our knees.

Last edited:
Reactions: fwGod

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Same here. Getting to one's knees in the days of women wearing dresses or skirts, nylons and high-heeled shoes would have been awkward and difficult. Not to mention when the floor was hard wood. For men it would have been easier.

Then there's the older folk who'd find it even more difficult to get on their knees... and even more difficult to stand back up.

I'm so glad that God can look on our hearts and see us bowing in reverence to Him on the inside.

Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Same here. Getting to one's knees in the days of women wearing dresses or skirts, nylons and high-heeled shoes would have been awkward and difficult. Not to mention when the floor was hard wood. For men it would have been easier.

Then there's the older folk who'd find it even more difficult to get on their knees... and even more difficult to stand back up.

I'm so glad that God can look on our hearts and see us bowing in reverence to Him on the inside.

Sometimes I feel bad about not getting on my knees before the Lord Jesus; when I'm praying to Him; and really need His help; but from knee injuries from off-road motorcycles years ago; if I got down on my knees; I would need a small hoist to get back up.:oops: So I hope He understands.

Reactions: fwGod
Upvote 0

Gregorikos

Ordinary Mystic
Dec 31, 2019
Louisville, Kentucky
Visit site
✟113,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
People still get on their knees in lots of churches. In my church, if someone feels like getting on their knees during worship, they do it. If they fit in between the seats they might do it that way, or of not they might go out to the aisle.

Personally I feel that me singing a song about me bowing down while I am definitely not even bending my waist is missing something. Do I mean these words that I am singing? When is it, exactly, that I get on my knees before the Lord, like I say I do in this song I'm singing?

Upvote 0