• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Songs about being on our knees before the Lord

Discussion in 'Christian Music' started by mnorian, Jan 29, 2020.

1. mnorian

mnorian Oldbie--Eternal Optimist Staff Member Administrator Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+7,565
    Christian
    Married
    There is something I've wondered about for years; so this is not a knock on the younger generation or church;

and that is Christian songs with lyrics about being on our knees before the Lord Jesus Christ; to worship Him and to ask Him for help--on our knees.

I've seen hymns sung in churches with the words like; "we come before you Lord; on our knees again..." and no one in the entire congregation gets on their knees.

It used to be a thing years ago; back in the distant past when our church would have an "altar call" where those needing help from the Lord would come to the front of the church;

usually at the end of service; and ask God for help; and we would sing a song (doxology I think they called it) about getting on your knees before the Lord;

everyone that came forward would get on their knees--and pray through--till they felt they got an answer.

and the pastoral staff would come around and pray for each person.

And on the P&W videos; of church bands singing praise services; once in a great while you will see a person--usually a band member--get down on there knees; but it's so unusual to seem out of place.

So is this a thing of the past that is just not done anymore? And it hasn't stopped the Christian bands from writing songs about being on our knees.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. fwGod

fwGod Psalm 119:63

+300
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Same here. Getting to one's knees in the days of women wearing dresses or skirts, nylons and high-heeled shoes would have been awkward and difficult. Not to mention when the floor was hard wood. For men it would have been easier.

Then there's the older folk who'd find it even more difficult to get on their knees... and even more difficult to stand back up.

I'm so glad that God can look on our hearts and see us bowing in reverence to Him on the inside.

3. mnorian

mnorian Oldbie--Eternal Optimist Staff Member Administrator Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+7,565
    Christian
    Married
    Sometimes I feel bad about not getting on my knees before the Lord Jesus; when I'm praying to Him; and really need His help; but from knee injuries from off-road motorcycles years ago; if I got down on my knees; I would need a small hoist to get back up.:oops: So I hope He understands.

4. Gregorikos

Gregorikos Mystic

+109
    United States
    Pentecostal
    Married
    People still get on their knees in lots of churches. In my church, if someone feels like getting on their knees during worship, they do it. If they fit in between the seats they might do it that way, or of not they might go out to the aisle.

Personally I feel that me singing a song about me bowing down while I am definitely not even bending my waist is missing something. Do I mean these words that I am singing? When is it, exactly, that I get on my knees before the Lord, like I say I do in this song I'm singing?