• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Sondland: Trump dictated my text response about "no quid pro quo"

Discussion in 'American Politics' started by evoeth, Oct 12, 2019 at 8:16 PM.

1. evoeth

evoeth Man trying to figure things out

+1,327
    Atheist
    Married
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+9,842
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    We'll see. I have a hard time believing these kinds of statements. Sondland is a Trump loyalist, I don't think he's going to share anything that he isn't specifically asked.
    So unless it's in his written statement, that the committee has been sharing from other witnesses, we might never know what he says.

3. DaisyDay

DaisyDay blind squirrel

+9,356
    United States
    Unitarian
    Married
    US-Others
    He's not a professional foreign service person, but how much do you think he would be willing to risk for Donald's sake?
    He's just a big donor.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/10/04/gordon-sondland-ukraine-texts-ambassador/

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 8:57 PM
  4. Hank77

+9,842
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I really don't know. I would think he will give honest answers when under oath. He doesn't need Trump, he's been successful on his own. idk

5. mark46

mark46 Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,837
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Democrat
    I expect most of testimony from witnesses to be eventually released; almost nothing is classified. They should start behind closed doors to reduce the public spectacle.

6. Hank77

+9,842
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I agree but I think there will be a report but maybe not actual testimony.

7. evoeth

+1,327
    Atheist
    Married
    Sondland is not going to jail to protect Trump.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  8. evoeth

+1,327
    Atheist
    Married
    Oh wow. I just saw this (from the article in the OP)

Sondland is expected to say that for months before the Sept. 9message, he worked at the direction of Rudolph W. Giuliani, Trump’s personal attorney, to secure what he would call in another text message the “deliverable” sought by Trump: a public statement from Ukraine that it would investigate corruption, including mentioning Burisma, a Ukrainian energy company, by name. In exchange for the statement, the president would grant Ukraine’s new president a coveted White House audience.

“It was a quid pro quo, but not a corrupt one,” the person familiar with Sondland’s testimony said.
    It's totally not corrupt! Just standard extortion for Trump's personal gain.

9. Cimorene

Cimorene Ciao! Supporter

+4,510
    Canada
    Methodist
    Private
    I think that was obv by how the text was worded & when it was sent.

Ok obv to most who aren't going to just defend everything Trump ever does regardless.

10. Kentonio

Kentonio Well-Known Member

+3,967
    France
    Atheist
    Single
    I think that’s the key point. Sonderland certainly won’t be alone in that either.

11. evoeth

+1,327
    Atheist
    Married
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Hank77

+9,842
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    For me the biggest problem here is inviting a foreign country to taken part in our elections. That is exacting what Trump did.

13. Cimorene

Cimorene Ciao! Supporter

+4,510
    Canada
    Methodist
    Private
    He literally did it right after Mueller testified about the extensive meddling of Russia in the 2016 election & how there was zero chance they wouldn't repeat that in 2020.