Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think Paul's advice in 1 Corinthians 8 can help us here. Some people can hear Christian music in any style and feel just fine about it. Other people can be more sensitive. Neither is more right nor wrong than the other. We all have to obey our personal convictions.
Well, exactly.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually I don't 'celebrate' Halloween, or - what was it? - throw children into the fires of Molech, etc.

The sort of thing I do identify with is likely already clear, such as the Biblical lyrics I quoted above from the band Renascent.
The point is... if we take things that were designed to honor false gods... and rename them and give them new meaning... are we really honoring the true God or just trying to justify old habits? The Molech thing was meant lightly but it still holds a point. What if somebody decided to do that, sacrifice their children but claim it is to honor YHWH? Would that make it right? No... so why would changing words to music designed to honor satan make it right?

Now... this thread.... Sir Senior Ambassador.... was a user asking about his wife and son... not opening up debate about whether or not Christian Death Metal is an oxymoron or not. Please let it go, start another thread... I am not replying again no matter what you say. If it is that important... PM me. Thanks.

Sorry @CoolDude68 be blessed

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The point is... if we take things that were designed to honor false gods... and rename them and give them new meaning... are we really honoring the true God or just trying to justify old habits? The Molech thing was meant lightly but it still holds a point. What if somebody decided to do that, sacrifice their children but claim it is to honor YHWH? Would that make it right? No... so why would changing words to music designed to honor satan make it right?

Now... this thread.... Sir Senior Ambassador.... was a user asking about his wife and son... not opening up debate about whether or not Christian Death Metal is an oxymoron or not. Please let it go, start another thread... I am not replying again no matter what you say. If it is that important... PM me. Thanks.

Sorry @CoolDude68 be blessed
I think Paul's advice in 1 Corinthians 8 can help us here. Some people can hear Christian music in any style and feel just fine about it. Other people can be more sensitive. Neither is more right nor wrong than the other. We all have to obey our personal convictions.
:oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We can't force religion on him right now, he's not ready. I've tried some and it's not his time. I'm letting God handle that one at the moment. :)
I think you're doing the right thing. Sometimes, we have to "let go & let God".

What's most important is giving him sound council prior to his decision, so that he will be aware of what's going on, and where you stand etc.

Think about the prodigal son. The Father gave him his portion and let him go. The son had to realize himself just what a mess he got himself into. The Father didn't beg, argue, cuss him out, slap him etc

It's hard to let go when you are sure that someone is headed towards destruction, but that's their choice, and we have to let God work...

Upvote 0

tryintogrow

ContraryTwit
Sep 11, 2006
✟11,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I did not make that comment so it could be used as ammunition against a brother.

Sensitive people are often told to get over themselves and stop being a prude. Paul said in that chapter if some activity offends his brother, he would respect his brother's sensitivity and stop promoting that activity in front of him. This isn't a matter of trying to make @Ken Rank agree with you.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I did not make that comment so it could be used as ammunition against a brother.

Sensitive people are often told to get over themselves and stop being a prude. Paul said in that chapter if some activity offends his brother, he would respect his brother's sensitivity and stop promoting that activity in front of him. This isn't a matter of trying to make @Ken Rank agree with you.
I could have clicked 'like' instead of quoting it. :)

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My wife doesn't want him to join, I think we shouldn't hold him back and to pray to God for protection and allow my son to make his own choices.
Prayer is always a good option; keep praying for him.

Upvote 0

CoolDude68

Site Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟127,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just to clarify, I'm not purposely trying to make my wife look like the bad guy here, we simply share a different view point and we will continue to talk about it. The reason I posted the original topic was to gain the wisdom of how to handle it from a Christian point of view and I appreciate the comments so far. This helps me rationally speak to my wife and our son about it in a non-judgemental way. Perhaps the best thing anyone can do is pray for all of us that we come to a resolve so God can utilize His plans.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tryintogrow

ContraryTwit
Sep 11, 2006
✟11,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
CoolDude68, I would really advance with caution and keep realistic expectations. It's easy to imagine all sorts of wonderful scenarios where you befriend these boys. The truth is, those moments are easier said than done. Maybe these boys will grow to admire you, maybe they won't. Maybe God brought them to you for ministry, maybe He didn't. Either way, it won't be worth doing anything that you know deep down is a bad idea. It won't be worth having friction in your home.

I speak from personal experience. My brother joined a similar band in his early 20s. Nothing good came from it. You are entering a lion's den, and you need to keep your armor on.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Hey everyone, I would like to get some opinions from others on something. Our son (18) is a very talented drummer but he's only interested in one type of music - that hardcore death metal stuff.

Well, a talented local band recently contacted him seeking a drummer and he wants to join them. He's obviously not a Christian, nor are any of the band members, so my wife is having an issue with this and doesn't want him to join. I have an opposite view of this but would like opinions. I say let him join and learn from the experience while we pray for his safety and leave it in God's hands. If we don't let him he will rebel and his talents will go to waste. If he joins and gets the exposure then maybe some other band might discover him, which may lead to bigger and better things, or even guys who might be Christians. There are Christian metal bands. He claims he doesn't even care about the lyrics which I get, you can't even understand them and he says he just likes it because he can play fast.

I looked up the guys on FB and they are the typical kids. No, they aren't Christian and they do some cussing and normal fallen-world behavior stuff but that's expected. Nothing they were posting really surprised me. They don't post stuff like Satan worship or anything extreme going against God. Really, there's no mention of religion in their posts so they're typical lost souls like most of the world.

Now, I haven't listened to their lyrics because I can't understand that type of scream singing and I can't find their words online. Anyway, what I'd like to do is invite the group over the our home and show an example and get to know them. After all, who am I to judge? The problem is the wife wants absolutely no part of that. She's quick to judge so-to-speak.

Any advice on how to handle this or what to say to my wife? I'd really like to meet these guys and I don't want to keep denying our talented son from enjoying his gift God has given him.

I would be curious to explore the root of your wife's hesitancy. If it were a group of non-Christians who wanted him to join a non-Christian country band would she feel the same way? If it were a group of Christians who wanted him to join a Christian death metal band would she feel the same way? What about the situation is most troubling to her?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What sins do you draw the line at? Would you allow your son to bring prostitution and drugs into your home? I would say to your son, while he lives under your roof, he is not to listen or join any death metal bands. You invite demons into your home by him having that stuff in your house. You also invite drug use into your home because of these bands, as well. These bands promote sex, violence, drugs, satanism, and everything else that is wrong in the world. My stand for Jesus and what is good and right comes before the love I have for any family member. I mean, if Jesus was living in your home, would you want your son to bring evil things into your home with the Son of God there? Surely not.

I used to listen to Metallica, and some Megadeath before I was saved. After coming to Christ, I listened to a few Christian metal songs, but I couldn't get into them. For that type of music just didn't make any sense to me anymore. Heavy Metal music leads a person into a violent, angry, and prideful state. Yes, God does get angry at sin. But we are not to get angry or hateful in our worship with God. If someone here really loves Jesus, they should try giving up the Heavy Metal for 1 year and just listen to real praise and worship music and devote more time in the Bible. If they come back to it after 1 year, they should notice a difference in how dark that music is then. Personally, it vexes my soul to even hear such music; And I used to love it. Why? Because I used to be different. The old man. But I am now the new man. A new creature in Christ where all things have become new.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tryintogrow

ContraryTwit
Sep 11, 2006
✟11,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
tryingtogrow: Do you know the band Renascent ? (post #7)

I don't know that particular band, but I've heard my share of Christian bands with "unorthodox" music styles. Overall, I tend to see them as harmless but not edifying. They rarely induce worship. We may be able to "redeem" Halloween with more positive activities, but we can't go back in time to change its origin, and we can't wedge it into biblical tradition. Church Halloween activities are always in this gray area of something positive but not exactly worshipful. I see the redemption of Satanic music in the same way.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know that particular band, but I've heard my share of Christian bands with "unorthodox" music styles. Overall, I tend to see them as harmless but not edifying. They rarely induce worship. We may be able to "redeem" Halloween with more positive activities, but we can't go back in time to change its origin, and we can't wedge it into biblical tradition. Church Halloween activities are always in this gray area of something positive but not exactly worshipful. I see the redemption of Satanic music in the same way.
Their Biblical lyrics are in post #9, anyway.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Just to clarify, I'm not purposely trying to make my wife look like the bad guy here, we simply share a different view point and we will continue to talk about it. The reason I posted the original topic was to gain the wisdom of how to handle it from a Christian point of view and I appreciate the comments so far. This helps me rationally speak to my wife and our son about it in a non-judgemental way. Perhaps the best thing anyone can do is pray for all of us that we come to a resolve so God can utilize His plans.

You and your wife need to be on a united front, as one, before having a three way conversation with your son. Your wife should never be undermined or dishonored or disrespected, especially in front of your son. You and your wife need to iron this out, preferably with some spiritual guidance and counsel before approaching your son to discuss it.

Tread wisely here, brother.

God bless all three of you.

Praying.

• Agree
Reactions: CoolDude68
Upvote 0

tryintogrow

ContraryTwit
Sep 11, 2006
✟11,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I used to listen to Metallica, and some Megadeath before I was saved. After coming to Christ, I listened to a few Christian metal songs, but I couldn't get into them. For that type of music just didn't make any sense to me anymore.

I hear you, bro. I was full-blown into Marilyn Manson, Type O Negative, Danzig, etc. That type of music leaves behind something in your psyche. It damages you in a way that's very similar to inappropriate contentography.

Upvote 0

tryintogrow

ContraryTwit
Sep 11, 2006
✟11,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Their Biblical lyrics are in post #9, anyway.

You truly don't seem to be listening to the issue here. No one is denying the Biblical base of their lyrics. No one said they don't promote Christian lyrics. The issue is whether Biblical lyrics can flourish in that environment.

• Winner
Upvote 0