Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please address the actual verses instead of making broad sweeping statements of opinion.

You want us to discuss those verses within the context of accepting your opinions as fact. That's not how things work. You don't get to start off with a false premise and then demand people accept it.

:wave:

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You want us to discuss those verses within the context of accepting your opinions as fact. That's not how things work. You don't get to start off with a false premise and then demand people accept it.

:wave:

No, dear sir. You need to explain the verses I brought forth with other Scripture verses to prove you are right and I am wrong. Just stating your opinion here with no Scripture to back up your claims does not mean anything. But if you are to do so (which I am not expecting you to do), then start another thread please.

May God bless you.

Upvote 0

Apex

Radical Centrist & Ethicist
Jan 1, 2017
the South
✟40,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Did you read 1 Corinthians 8? Is food offered to idols Christian? It's not anything but food to the strong and knowledgeable Christian. It is the weak and unknowing Christian who finds this food defiling.

1 Corinthians 8:8-9
Food will not commend us to God. We are no worse off if we do not eat, and no better off if we do. But take care that this right of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak.

The strong and knowledgeable Christians were advised by Paul that if they do eat foods offered to idols that they ensure they were not stumbling their fellow brothers in the process. I explained what it meant to stumble your brother and how to prevent stumbling your brother in the comment your quoted. This isn't walking on egg shells, this is about educating the uninformed brother to prevent their conscience from being injured.

This principle can be applied to this topic.

Upvote 0

CoolDude68

Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟105,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Update:

We went away as a family this weekend to a cabin in the woods. There was zero noise from human beings, only nature. (how nice) I walked off alone to pray a lot and I sat quietly and listened. I did this for a few days. Saturday morning it was so quiet I could hear an insect fly by 30 feet away. It was a surreal feeling to experience nature in the pure raw. Anyway, something in my head, or mind or spirit repeatedly started saying "Let him play...let him play". Now, I wasn't thinking about anything, just sitting there, listening. Where did that come from? My self-conscious? I don't know. But this whole time, and through talking to my son about all this I finally told him that he's old enough to know right from wrong and he agreed. I also told him he would be responsible for his choices from now on. He also agreed. He mentioned if I would have said "no" he said he was going to sell his drums and never play again. He actually had this planned out in his mind. Here's the interesting part...If I were to tell him he couldn't join the band, his God-given talents would end right there. What a shame. I felt bad and I didn't even say he couldn't. I also had a discussion with my wife before I talked to my son and she agreed to let him go and make his own choices now. After I gave him the green light he was the happiest kid on the planet and became a changed personality immediately! He's been very depressed for many months because we kept denying his interest in his music and him wanting to join a metal band. Either way, it wasn't working. We could continue to say "no...no...no..." forever and he'd go into a downward spiral, probably eventually move away from home and always be bitter towards us. Instead, we have embraced his interests, put trust in him and will pray...pray...pray for his protection and I told him that he should invite the band members over sometime so we can grill out, build a fire, place bad toss, etc...and get to know them. He smiled and said, "cool". lol

Look, I know a lot of you would have kept telling your son "No". Well, that's your choice, but he's our son and we know him better than anyone on this forum. We didn't want to ruin a God-given talent, then him sell his drums, become more depressed and potentially quit college, leave home and never talk to us. If that's good enough for you and your child then that's fine, we will just have to agree to disagree. However, I felt like we have done the right thing and I believe God spoke the words I was wanting to hear. After all, it's His plan for our son, not your's, or even ours. Praise God!

Thanks to those who have contributed to this post. I really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CoolDude68

Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟105,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
UPDATE #2 ~

God works in mysterious ways! After we told our son he could play in the band, I guess things fell through or something and he just came up to me and asked if he could sell his drums and get a piano instead. God is good! :) Keep in mind, he's been playing drums for over six years and has been with two bands already, so this is not something new. I've been praying that God show my son the way and be it His will, I'm leaving it in His hands. Now we are going to look into keyboards/arrangers that we both can learn together. God is truly amazing.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
UPDATE #2 ~

God works in mysterious ways! After we told our son he could play in the band, I guess things fell through or something and he just came up to me and asked if he could sell his drums and get a piano instead. God is good! :) Keep in mind, he's been playing drums for over six years and has been with two bands already, so this is not something new. I've been praying that God show my son the way and be it His will, I'm leaving it in His hands. Now we are going to look into keyboards/arrangers that we both can learn together. God is truly amazing.

Well, while I disagree that it was God talking to you to let your son play in a Death Metal band, I am very happy things turned out whereby he is going to play the kind of music that is more in line with what God would consider as real music that could sooth the soul instead of disturbing it.

God bless you and your son;
And I am relieved to hear that things turned out for you.
I will continue to pray for you and your son (and for him to have an encounter with Jesus someday).

Reactions: CoolDude68
Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟206,608.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Well, while I disagree that it was God talking to you to let your son play in a Death Metal band, I am very happy things turned out whereby he is going to play the kind of music that is more in line with what God would consider as real music that could sooth the soul instead of disturbing it.

Not necessarily. There are death metal bands that use keyboards... ;)

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not necessarily. There are death metal bands that use keyboards... ;)

No. He is talking about a piano and not a synthesizer. Also, it is generally common knowledge that if somebody is going to play the piano, it is going to be things like in the style of Mozart, Frank Sinatra, etc. with an instrument called a piano (and not a clammering of noise like death metal, which is not true music). Anyone can make a clammering of noise and say it is music. But the reality is that Death Metal is not true music but, it is a sound of evil.

But what about music that sounds evil or worldly and lustful and it not a clammering of noise like Death Metal? Yes, there is music you can hear at a haunted house or in a horror movie. Music can effect your mood and either build up either good emotions or bad emotions like the fear of dark things, despair, and anger. That is why Death Metal is evil. It stirs up bad emotions on top of the clammering of noise they call music (So falsely called). I mean, why do you think Hollywood uses certain kinds of music for certain movies? Do you think they play horror music in a romance film? Music fits with one's emotions that can be either good or bad. This is not a matter of debate. It is like saying the sun is not warm when you go outside and feel it's rays beating down upon you. It is insanity to say otherwise. 1 Corinthians 8 is not a case for Death Metal. It is just silly to suggest that it is the same thing. Food is not evil in itself because it is not behavioral like Death Metal but it is a thing that we use for nourishment.

Oh, and yes. I believe a Christian can eat foods sacrificed to idols (As long as it is not offered to them by their person who sacrificed it). But we are not talking about a thing here but a behavior. Behavior is related to sin. A thing like food in and of itself is not evil. So 1 Corinthians 8 and Death Metal are in no way related. It is an attempt to quote a passage out of context within the Bible to satisfy one's darker lusts or emotions (Which is wrong). God is not going to lead you into anger and hate (Which is what Death Metal is all about).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CoolDude68

Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟105,045.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The point is God is the only one who could change his mentality overnight where he thought nothing else in life mattered besides playing drums. He was addicted. Praying over the course of this past weekend, along with others here who have been praying I have no doubt about God's intervention. God has a plan for our son so we have to trust in Him and see where it leads. Thanks to all who have been praying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,187,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The point is God is the only one who could change his mentality overnight where he thought nothing else in life mattered besides playing drums. He was addicted. Praying over the course of this past weekend, along with others here who have been praying I have no doubt about God's intervention. God has a plan for our son so we have to trust in Him and see where it leads. Thanks to all who have been praying.

I will continue to pray for him.

Upvote 0