• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Son of God, the Movie

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by JimR-OCDS, Mar 4, 2014.

1. FlaviusAetius

FlaviusAetius Well-Known Member

+455
    Agnostic
    Single
    I thought I heard Son of God basically is "The Bible" History channel miniseries clipped together with about 20 minutes of actual new footage.

2. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+39,695
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
  3. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+6,421
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Greatest Story Ever Told was thin, I agree. I like Max Von Sydow, but he wasn't right for the role and the movie took so many liberties and went off the tracks pretty badly. The ONLY scene in the film I adore is the raising of Lazarus, which was SPLENDIDLY done! They really hit a home run on that. The rest...not so much!

The Passion raised the bar pretty darn high, didn't it!:)

4. I honestly thought the series 'The Bible' (of which 'Son of God' is just an extended version of the gospel chapters) was terrible. The best part was that it got me into the series 'Vikings.'

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
  5. WarriorAngel

WarriorAngel I close my eyes and see you smile Supporter

+7,448
    Catholic
    Private
    Well, at least it put your mind on God. Sort of.

6. AvilaSurfer

AvilaSurfer Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,647
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    Finally got around to seeing 'Son of God' yesterday. Very good movie. All the naysayers here I think were just looking to complain about something.

'Noah' looks like it has possibilities, although I'm not a big Russell Crowe fan. The Muslims are already trying to shut it down, so I'm sure the producers appreciate that publicity.

7. I went into The History Channel's The Bible with moderately high hopes, not looking to complain about something. And I honestly liked the first segment, the Abraham story. But then Moses and a fat Ramses showed up and an obese black Samson and things went seriously downhill. The David and Daniel segments improved upon those slightly, but by the time we got to the New Testament I was really just waiting through every episode to get to 'Vikings' (which, being that it looks like it could be on FX or AMC, didn't help make its frontrunner look any better).

The fact is, The Bible and The Son of God look and feel like they belong on The History Channel. Their production quality was embarrassing, and the script feels like it was workshopped by Scriptwriting 101 students. 'Noah,' on the other hand, actually looks like a feature film of the highest caliber, directed by Darren Aronofsky no less (which shocked me- how will it fit into his usual theme of obsession?).

8. AvilaSurfer

AvilaSurfer Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,647
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican
    Sure sounds like you're looking to complain. Whatever. I enjoyed both productions and I got the general idea of the story. Those were my expectations and they were met. Feel free to complain all you want.

9. Forest Wolf

Forest Wolf Magical And Blessed

+30
    Pantheist
    Married
    US-Others
    History channel rebroadcast The Bible just recently in light of the Son of God theater premier.

I caught parts of it from time to time. But I stopped looking in to see how it was going when it so happened I tuned in on the Sodom and Gomorrah story. Having angels fight the villagers using martial arts was too much. I don't remember that being in scripture. Not hand to hand combat with angels much less the rest.

I'll wait for the DVD of Son of God to arrive at the library.

10. JimR-OCDS

JimR-OCDS God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love

+1,885
    United States
    Catholic
    Married

Why is a critique of the movie a complaint ?

They either did a good job producing Son of God, or they didn't.

My opinion is that it was poorly done.

The movie Jesus of Nazareth and The Passion are far above Son of God, as far as movie productions go.

Jim

11. Praisegod Barebones

Praisegod Barebones Newbie

+10
    Catholic
    Married
    Yes, I went to see `Son of God`last night with my son. We both agreed it was very flat. There were a few scenes that bordered on the inspirational, but overall it was quite lacking. It felt rushed as well, and seemed to jump about too much. I don`t want to be too critical however because it`s extremely difficult to do the Gospel justice in a 2 hour movie.

I think `Jesus of Nazareth` mini series with Robert Powell, Michael York, Sir Laurence Olivier, James Earl Jones, Anthony Quinn, et. al. is BY FAR the BEST depiction of the Gospel story on film. It is 6 hours, 22 mins of excellent acting and is very well written and directed. We may never see the likes of that again.

12. Chococat

Chococat I love Jesus and kittycats

+129
    Christian
    Private
    Well I don't think the movie is out over here and I want to see it but have heard that it is a bit New Agey and apparently, at least according to the Fundamentalists, that Jesus in it looks a lot like a New Age "Master" that is speaking through channelers in the NAM. I have also heard that the people responsible for it are New Agers or at least have links to the NAM. I'm not saying this to stir up arguments merely to say I honestly don't know whether to go seeing it or not. I do many Fundamentalists can be pretty paranoid and see the New Age/Illuminati/Freemasons (or often all three!) everywhere. I do know they left out the temptation by Satan scene which I definitely think was wrong. I would be interested in other opinions. Here is a link to what I have been talking about. Now I'm not saying it is all true and I know nothing about Roma Downey or her husband to know if the accusations are true or not but I do hear strong warning bells.

Something is very seriously wrong with the “Son of God” movie! | True Discernment

13. JimR-OCDS

JimR-OCDS God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love

+1,885
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Not at all.

Although the movie is weak, it's not New Agey as you put it. Jesus does look more like a rock star with an ego, but not a new age master.

The movie can't touch Jesus of Nazareth nor the Passion, from a scriptural or spiritual aspect.

Jim

14. Fenwick

Fenwick ☩ Broman Catholic ☩

+9,117
    United States
    Catholic
    Single
    US-Others
    I had a feeling this would be the case. It looked like they largely just patched together footage already used from The Bible series. Then people started calling Diogo Morgado "Hot Jesus" (or something along those lines) and I just knew they were trying to capitalize on the success of the miniseries. The immense number of inaccuracies bothered me a lot so I didn't care to see it.

15. Is a critique always a complaint? Did I spend ten-plus hours of my life watching the series so I'd be able to complain about the series months later on an online message board?