Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
v 30, I and the Father are one. So closely are the Father and Son identified in the mission of Jesus that some idea of unity of essence is involved, although with separateness of identity. Such an understanding of these words is in complete agreement with the statement in 1:1.
New Bible Commentary

30 "I and the Father"
preserves the separate individuality of the two Persons in the Godhead; the word "one" asserts unity of nature or equality (cf. 1Co 3:8).
Expositor's Bible Commentary (Abridged Edition) - New Testament

30. I and the Father are one (Gk. hen):
The neuter gender rules out any thought of meaning ‘one Person’. This is not a comment on the nature of the Godhead. Rather, having spoken of the sheep’s security in both Himself and the Father, Jesus underlines what He has said by indicating that in action the Father and He can be regarded as a single entity, because their wills are one.
Zondervan Bible Commentary (One Volume)

John 10:30, "I and the Father are one"

one. The Greek is neuter—“one thing,” not “one person.” The two are one in essence or nature, will and purpose, but they are not identical persons. This great truth is what warrants Jesus’ “I am” declarations (see 6:35; 8:24, 58; 17:21–22 and notes).
NIV Study Bible

Last edited:
Upvote 0