Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
First time posting in this section, just really don't know what else to do besides pray which I have been doing.

Last night I went to get on our computer, and my son had left a word document open. I thought it was homework (which it was). So I read it. It was a monologue and it was about how he hates his pitiful life. It made me cry. Said he hates every inch of his body and soul and wishes for it's destruction. He feels his life is mundane, hopeless, and pointless! He says as a junior in high school, he is smarter than most other people and thinks it's absurd that he needs a stupid piece of paper (college degree) to get the career he wants. He says he wants to go back to enjoy being a child. He hates the person he has become and he wants to escape this desolate planet. He says he's done caring, done living and he regrets ever taking his first breath.
After reading this, I went to his folder (which he doesn't know I did) and read his rough draft which had ALOT more info like this including how he has a job he hates (he works at KFC 3 days a week, 1st job) and he hates school because he's bored and he thinks it's all a waste of time. (He is 6th in his class in grade point average 4.55).
He is a straight A student, has a job, car, girlfriend for 2 years, and a new puppy that he purchased. He is in a band with some friends. He believes in Christ. His girlfriend does not, but his best friend is a Christian.
His dad passed away 5 years ago from cancer and he has been extremely angry in the past, but since he started getting into music I thought he had gotten "thru" that stage and had NO IDEA that he felt ANY of this. For the first 2 years he didn't want to be anything like his dad (which he is SO much like and can't escape) but then something happened and he came to me one night and apologized for being mad at dad for leaving us. We talked. He felt better. Then he started embracing all the ways he was like his dad. Guitar playing, music in general, oil painting.
And the worst part? I told him I read it and he's mad ABOUT THAT! Just mad that I shouldn't have read it. But he's gonna turn it in for an assignment! I don't know what to do...except pray. I know he doesn't want to do anything about it cuz he just thinks I shouldn't have read it and he's mad at himself for leaving it up.
When he told me he was mad I knew he wouldn't want to talk about it so I wrote my thoughts to him and left it for him this morning. Not sure what he will think about it. In the reading of the draft he says, he's not planning on taking his life and would just like to die an easy fast death (wouldn't we all like to go this way?) in the letter I told him life was about choices and attitudes and only he could choose to have a different attitude and that I wanted to talk to him and please talk to me when he's ready (I highly doubt he will though).
What to do now? IDK. I feel so bad that he feels this way. I have tried to make his life as good as I can since his dad passed. He knows this. He hates how he is and who he is.

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
NO he didn't tell me, but in his draft it says that he is angry, a racist, greedy, and he feels he is smarter than most other people, and he does not like who he has become. He doesn't want to feel this way, but doesn't know how to make it stop. I don't either. I know when his dad died (well I didn't know then, but I know NOW) he was really angry at his dad for dying and leaving us. He felt it was his dad's fault that he got cancer (probably cuz he smoked even though he didn't get lung cancer). When he told me about this one night, we talked and I asked him why did he feel it was dad's fault. I also told him that I believe that the Bible says we have an appointed time to die and it was just his time and did he ever consider that. Anyway alot of good came out of that conversation, but I can't remember what brought it about. Anyway that was over a year ago, so I didn't think he was still mad or angry but I guess he is. I just don't understand why he is mad that I read his paper and that's it. I told him this morning I cared more that he was feeling the way he feels.

Upvote 0

simonpeter

Jan 30, 2010
✟16,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It'd be better if you could talk to his best friend (or his gf). He could've opened up to them, same age-group and all; he may feel uncomfortable talking to you about it. So try to find out as much as you can.

If it's about his father, then perhaps he needs counseling; you said he was angry at his father for leaving him. This 'anger' may not be anger at all. It could also be guilt born of helplessness - the helplessness he must've felt as a kid while watching his father pass. And this guilt might well have manifested as anger.

All this could have led to a lot of frustration and, in such cases, the victim usually ends up blaming himself. This results in self-hate. And the situation gets trickier than ever because he now has everything - car, girlfriend, good grades - yet he doesn't have the thing that matters most: a father to share his joy with. So maybe, this is the real problem, and others you mentioned - his greed, racism etc. - could be the consequences of such guilt and self-hate.

But anyway, you may have to talk to his best friend to find out more; in all probability, he had opened up to him.

Take care, and I hope your son gets better.

Simon Peter

Upvote 0

memoriesbymichelle

Senior Veteran
Jun 8, 2007
Arizona
✟22,350.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you Simon Peter. Yesterday he played dodge ball, meaning he dodged me and left for his band practice before I got home from work and then.....didn't come home until 11:30 (usually he's home by 10, though he doesn't really have a curfew except he can't drive after midnight cuz of his age and the law) and when he did get home he immediately took a shower so I had to wait until he was out of the shower to tell him things I needed him to know about todays activities. I decided NOT to berade him about making me worry and not calling because I figured he was expecting that, and I was trying to play against that. When I did call out his name to talk to him (cuz he just got out of the shower) his voice did not reflect any anger I could recognize.
Then he texted me today asking about when our contract for our cell phones expire so he can get a new phone so......I guess the feelings he wrote were semi typical teenage feelings. My BIL is coming for Thanksgiving so hopefully they can go and do some male bonding fun stuff so his (my son's ) life won't be so mundane. Thanks for listening and responding. I feel much better today even though I know this issue will not be resolved quickly or easily.

Upvote 0