Sometimes the legends the stories are more important than literal history...

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Sometimes the legends the stories are more important than literal history, or anything else, as they guided and directed our social evolution and revolutions...

I posted these post elsewhere...

The legends are real in a way, but perhaps not literally maybe, not here, at least maybe... They (the legends) are meant to teach us something very important about ourselves, and that is what is most important about them...

And it's not as if God is or was lying, cause they did, and do happen "somewhere" at "sometime", or perhaps at all times, all the time(s), somewhere or someplace in the universe...

Like described here: Is it true, that particles on their smallest level, seem to pop in and out of existence...?

All possibilities that can happen, do happen, (and have happened, and will happen again, and again, and again) as described there in that thread and post (above)...

So, it's not as if God is lying... Genesis 2:4 (non KJV translation) should read not only that "this is a history of the heavens and the earth", but, "this is a ("a" history, mind you) (not the exact actual literal history of just this earth maybe) but "a" history of the heavens and the (or their) "earths" (plural)... Or, this is the stories about mankind (and the heavens, (and the gods and God) and the "earths", and humankind) that matter (most)...

They have happened somewhere at sometime, and in that God is not lying, it just would have been too hard to explain or reveal to them back then...

The story of the flood legend and it's "meaning" as it applies to us (and God, or the gods) is what is trying to be conveyed and what matters most...

Since other cultures have a flood legend or myth of their own, but there is no physical evidence of those floods, does not mean it is not, or is unimportant... In fact the fact that most of them actually do have one (a flood legend) should tell us something about it's importance to us instead...

Jesus talked about how the last days would "like the story" of Noah and the flood... Now did he mean "literally"...? No... But perhaps metaphorically, and the way it applies metaphorically or figuratively or symbolically should be very important to us, and we should want to know it's meaning in that way and manner... Cause it should be important to us in that way...

So, the Bible and Genesis, should be very important to us, the story of Adam and Eve, the Garden of Eden, the Serpent, Tower of Babel, Noah and the flood, all of it, regardless of whether it's "literally true here" or not, certainly does apply very much to us all here in many, many ways... Our is to figure out "how" and then after that "why"...

God Bless!

What is important, is the stories or illustrations or examples in Genesis, and knowing what those are to, or should "mean" to us...

They are (and God considered them to be), much more important to tell us, than actual literal history, or science, or any of mere man's knowledge disciplines...

The question is "why" these were or are considered so very, vitally important above all and anything else, and what we are to "get out of them" or "glean" from them...

What do you think this is, or why this is...?

God Bless!

Why do you think God considered it so very, very important to tell us, and expose us to these stories...?

Why did he consider it "most important" above all and everything else...?

God Bless!

Even if they are not literal (at least here anyway) then God considered them very, very important, and so should we... But, in what "way"...?

What are the main, general purpose of all "legends" or telling stories to each generation from the previous ones...? It is usually, for one, that they (the people) considered them so very "profound" for one... But, for another, is, as they say is "the moral of", or the "point of the stories"... What is the point and purpose of their/these "illustrations"...?

That point, and those points, in Genesis, are what God felt more important than anything else he could possibly tell us, and ours, is to figure out "why"...?

Why were they, or what makes them, "that important"...?

God Bless!

Everything we have and are today we owe to God and his word the Bible...

Just try and think what state the world would be in today without them...

Every single human and civil rights revolution in the name of freedom, we owe to God...

Women would not have their rights today if it were not for God and the Bible, slavery would still exist also...

An innumerable "other things" we owe to God and the Bible and what and all that he did for us...

We most certainly would not be enjoying hardly any of the freedoms we have today without it/him/them...

God Bless!

Sometimes the "Legend(s)" are more important than literal history or "anything else" even, (and God knew that) and the Legends in Genesis are most definitely one of those times...

It guided us, led and directed us in our social evolution and revolutions, which I just stated in the post just before, and above this one...

And that was "more important"...

God Bless!

Was this all the beginning of our "program" or programming, to guide, lead and direct us in our evolution(s) all the way up to "now"...

This is what I am referring to: Are we all the result of (prior) conditioning or programming...?

And was that "more important" (to God) than "anything else", even literal history...?

God Bless!

• Winner
Reactions: JackRT

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Why do you repeatedly write "God bless" throughout this diatribe? Is it to try and give it legitimacy?

To believe that the Word of God is nothing more than a series of great hypothetical object lesson stories, denies and destroys the legitimate power of the Almighty. In your estimation, there was no Jesus and He didn't really suffer and die for us... it was all just a metaphor, right? Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try... no hell below us, above us only sky, right?

I always thought your user name sounded like you believed in spiritualism... with this post, I have to doubt no longer.

Upvote 0

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
It should be kept in mind that our way of recording history is an aberation. In the modern West we attempt an objective account of events. Historically, history was recorded for the valence thereof - not what was, but what was the meaning of what was. So legends are very much how history was anyway written until recently. Lucian even wrote an account of how to write history, in which he says it matters more to write something to show the spirit of events, even if not really true. This is why ancient history was a literary affair, with parallels drawn, lessons pointed out, etc. that our modern historians are far less likely to do. For instance, Alexander refusing to drink his soldiers' water is essentially juxtaposed to Darius III drinking from the helmet of Polycrates. Did either of these events ever happen? Who knows, but if they didn't, they should have, as the meaning they ellicit is simply too good.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Why do you repeatedly write "God bless" throughout this diatribe? Is it to try and give it legitimacy?

To believe that the Word of God is nothing more than a series of great hypothetical object lesson stories, denies and destroys the legitimate power of the Almighty. In your estimation, there was no Jesus and He didn't really suffer and die for us... it was all just a metaphor, right? Imagine there's no heaven, it's easy if you try... no hell below us, above us only sky, right?

I always thought your user name sounded like you believed in spiritualism... with this post, I have to doubt no longer.
I explained those were other posts... Which I always put at the end of most of my posts, just something I've been doing for a long time...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Sometimes the legends the stories are more important than literal history, or anything else, as they guided and directed our social evolution and revolutions...

The legends are real in a way, but perhaps not literally maybe, not here, at least maybe... They (the legends) are meant to teach us something very important about ourselves, and that is what is most important about them...

And it's not as if God is or was lying, cause they did, and do happen "somewhere" at "sometime", or perhaps at all times, all the time(s), somewhere or someplace in the universe...

Like described here: Is it true, that particles on their smallest level, seem to pop in and out of existence...?

All possibilities that can happen, do happen, (and have happened, and will happen again, and again, and again) as described there in that thread and post (above)...

So, it's not as if God is lying... Genesis 2:4 (non KJV translation) should read not only that "this is a history of the heavens and the earth", but, "this is a ("a" history, mind you) (not the exact actual literal history of just this earth maybe) but "a" history of the heavens and the (or their) "earths" (plural)... Or, this is the stories about mankind (and the heavens, (and the gods and God) and the "earths", and humankind) that matter (most)...

They have happened somewhere at sometime, and in that God is not lying, it just would have been too hard to explain or reveal to them back then...

The story of the flood legend and it's "meaning" as it applies to us (and God, or the gods) is what is trying to be conveyed and what matters most...

Since other cultures have a flood legend or myth of their own, but there is no physical evidence of those floods, does not mean it is not, or is unimportant... In fact the fact that most of them actually do have one (a flood legend) should tell us something about it's importance to us instead...

Jesus talked about how the last days would "like the story" of Noah and the flood... Now did he mean "literally"...? No... But perhaps metaphorically, and the way it applies metaphorically or figuratively or symbolically should be very important to us, and we should want to know it's meaning in that way and manner... Cause it should be important to us in that way...

So, the Bible and Genesis, should be very important to us, the story of Adam and Eve, the Garden of Eden, the Serpent, Tower of Babel, Noah and the flood, all of it, regardless of whether it's "literally true here" or not, certainly does apply very much to us all here in many, many ways... Our is to figure out "how" and then after that "why"...

God Bless!

What is important, is the stories or illustrations or examples in Genesis, and knowing what those are to, or should "mean" to us...

They are (and God considered them to be), much more important to tell us, than actual literal history, or science, or any of mere man's knowledge disciplines...

The question is "why" these were or are considered so very, vitally important above all and anything else, and what we are to "get out of them" or "glean" from them...

God Bless!

Why do you think God considered it so very, very important to tell us, and expose us to these stories...?

God Bless!

Even if they are not literal (at least here anyway) then God considered them very, very important, and so should we... But, in what "way"...?

What are the main, general purpose of all "legends" or telling stories to each generation from the previous ones...? It is usually, for one, that they (the people) considered them so very "profound" for one... But, for another, is, as they say is "the moral of", or the "point of the stories"... What is the point and purpose of their/these "illustrations"...?

That point, and those points, in Genesis, are what God felt more important than anything else he could possibly tell us, and ours, is to figure out "why"...?

God Bless!

Every single human and civil rights revolution in the name of freedom, we owe to God...

Women would not have their rights today if it were not for God and the Bible, slavery would still exist also...

An innumerable "other things" we owe to God and the Bible and what and all that he did for us...

We most certainly would not be enjoying hardly any of the freedoms we have today without it/him/them...

God Bless!

Sometimes the "Legend(s)" are more important than literal history or "anything else" even, (and God knew that) and the Legends in Genesis are most definitely one of those times...

It guided us, led and directed us in our social evolution and revolutions, which I just stated in the post just before, and above this one...

God Bless!

Was this all the beginning of our "program" or programming, to guide, lead and direct us in our evolution(s) all the way up to "now"...

This is what I am referring to: Are we all the result of (prior) conditioning or programming...?

And was that "more important" (to God) than "anything else", even literal history...?

God Bless!
Was the "program" more important than literal history or anything else...?

Are we all the result of (prior) conditioning or programming...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I explained those were other posts... Which I always put at the end of most of my posts, just something I've been doing for a long time...

God Bless!
Do you even believe in God? In your analysis, He could just be a figment of our collective imagination, right? Then what blessing do you hope to confer with that?

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Do you even believe in God? In your analysis, He could just be a figment of our collective imagination, right? Then what blessing do you hope to confer with that?
I believe more than you know (apparently), and no it does not mean that at all...

Knowledge, wisdom is the blessing in it... To know God and the mind and heart of God, among many other things (is the blessing in it)...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I believe more than you know (apparently), and no it does not mean that at all...

Knowledge, wisdom is the blessing in it... To know God and the mind and heart of God, among many other things (is the blessing in it)...

God Bless!
Faith... the EVIDENCE of things not seen. If you need more than that, you lack faith.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Faith... the EVIDENCE of things not seen. If you need more than that, you lack faith.
I have plenty of evidence of things not seen, and my faith is very strong, thank you very much... (yours may not be however, maybe)...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Micah888

Apr 20, 2018
CALGARY
✟21,176.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Looks like you've been listening to those crazy Higher Critics. Ignore them and get back to reality. God's reality.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I'm trying to "free" apparently, your puny little minds, but "whatever"...

Accuse, Accuse, Accuse, Judge, Judge, Judge, that which you do not understand and know nothing about, namely, "me"...

Whatever...

God Bless!
But, maybe I'm in the wrong forum for that maybe...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
To free our "puny little minds" from Christianity, apparently.
No, but/and sorry you think that...

Maybe from your "current definitions" of Christianity and what Christianity is maybe...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

God Bless!

God Bless!

God Bless!

God Bless!

God Bless!

God Bless!

God Bless!

God is Spirit, so the ideas are important.

Christianity is unique (and real) becasue it is based on historical events
that God often (perhaps always) caused to occur in reality.
In the case of the book of Revelations we get the Spiritual story
before the horse, before the events occur.

Upvote 0