• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Sometimes I feel like I need to give something up to show God I care

Gingerine

Nov 18, 2016
il
✟24,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is this true? Sometimes I think that to prove to God that I love Him or to show Him that I truly love him I need to sacrifice something I like, for instance a television show, reading a book I like or writing about a story I spent a lot of time developing.
sometimes I also feel like I need to do this when I mess up even when I repent I feel like if I don't give up something I like God will think I'm greedy and not really sorry, and that I need to make it up to Him by banning myself from something I like even if the object is completely unrelated to my sin.
To make matters worse sometimes my thoughts speak as I'd they were God saying "if you really loved Me you would do X." or "if you really wanted to be saved you would give up X" I have banned myself from one of favorite book series because of these thoughts please help my new year is starting off kinda rough.

• Winner
Reactions: Shawb

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
"If you love Me, you will keep my commandments" (not "if you love Me you will give things up to please me").

What things? (You don't have to answer.) If it's a thing God has commanded we not do, then yes, you should give it up. But if not ... the commandments are summed up in love. Are you loving others (in action, not in fuzzy feelings)? Do you spend time with Christ, in prayer, worship, reading Scriptures, seeking Him? Are you cooperating with God's grace to be transformed into His likeness?

Those are more sure "proofs" of your love and discipleship than arbitrarily giving something up to "prove" your love.

In fact, choosing a sacrifice or fast yourself and applying it can be detrimental to your spiritual life. If you succeed, you risk being tempted to pride for having done something for God. And if you fail, you risk being tempted to despair over a thing God never demanded of you anyway. The enemy will often try to set us up for such a fall, if we are not careful.

Upvote 0

Gingerine

Nov 18, 2016
il
✟24,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"If you love Me, you will keep my commandments" (not "if you love Me you will give things up to please me").

What things? (You don't have to answer.) If it's a thing God has commanded we not do, then yes, you should give it up. But if not ... the commandments are summed up in love. Are you loving others (in action, not in fuzzy feelings)? Do you spend time with Christ, in prayer, worship, reading Scriptures, seeking Him? Are you cooperating with God's grace to be transformed into His likeness?

Those are more sure "proofs" of your love and discipleship than arbitrarily giving something up to "prove" your love.

In fact, choosing a sacrifice or fast yourself and applying it can be detrimental to your spiritual life. If you succeed, you risk being tempted to pride for having done something for God. And if you fail, you risk being tempted to despair over a thing God never demanded of you anyway. The enemy will often try to set us up for such a fall, if we are not careful.

Thank you, the things I think I should give up aren't sinful they're things like novels ( since a lot of books are not Godly I primary read books aimed at younger teenagers and kids, I used to read the series of unfortunate events, I had a worry problem with them too but I haven't read them recently, and shows which are also aimed at younger kids, I have a little sister so we are careful what she's exposed to we've been watching miraclous ladybug together but honestly I don't like that show and don't feel an urge to get rid of it. I really like writing and making up stories I try to make sure they are all biblically themed in some way but since I really like writing this is where I feel the largest pull to ban myself. for instance I spent a while formulating a story plot and was really happy about it I was sure God had given it to me and I thanked Him for it. but a few days later I ended up banning myself from writing about key plot points.

I really do want to make God happy, but I feel like I'm not doing enough for God, I read the Bible and pray but I often feel like my prayers are weak and that God is displeased with them. I will try to focus on what God asks of us in the bible thank you for your post it was helpful.

Upvote 0

Gingerine

Nov 18, 2016
il
✟24,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So I suppose that means if you didn't give something up God would have no clue.

That really isn't what I meant, I know God knows everything, however I do not know everything which is why I was asking if this is something God would require of me or if this is manifestation of my condition.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, the things I think I should give up aren't sinful they're things like novels ( since a lot of books are not Godly I primary read books aimed at younger teenagers and kids, I used to read the series of unfortunate events, I had a worry problem with them too but I haven't read them recently, and shows which are also aimed at younger kids, I have a little sister so we are careful what she's exposed to we've been watching miraclous ladybug together but honestly I don't like that show and don't feel an urge to get rid of it. I really like writing and making up stories I try to make sure they are all biblically themed in some way but since I really like writing this is where I feel the largest pull to ban myself. for instance I spent a while formulating a story plot and was really happy about it I was sure God had given it to me and I thanked Him for it. but a few days later I ended up banning myself from writing about key plot points.

I really do want to make God happy, but I feel like I'm not doing enough for God, I read the Bible and pray but I often feel like my prayers are weak and that God is displeased with them. I will try to focus on what God asks of us in the bible thank you for your post it was helpful.

Just one little thing .... often if you feel a sense of compulsion to do this or that (or not do it) along with anxiety related to displeasing God ... this needs to be discerned VERY carefully. Especially if it puts up any kind of wall between you and God. If the enemy can't tempt us to turn away from God and play with bad things, he will usually attempt to turn our good thoughts toward God into something bad and drag us into a maze it's hard to find our way out of.

You can expect conviction and a desire to repent if you engage in blatant sin, or even if you do a thing that God makes you realize could really hurt someone (even emotionally, spiritually, whatever) that perhaps you didn't know when you did it. In this way (and others) He grows and refines us.

But you should not feel a generalized sense of disapproval for obscure reasons when you approach Him. Especially with anxiety, compulsion, etc. The enemy likes to try to confuse us like this.

Consider Jesus' response to the woman caught in the act of adultery. That WAS blatant and serious sin, yet He forgave her.

Some denominations teach that God does these kinds of subtle things, turning from us, rewarding us, punishing us, but we are never sure why, and it's our job to figure it out so we can follow Him. God really doesn't treat us in such ways. Scripture teaches us what is right and wrong. And God understands that we begin at one point, and we should progress. He will slowly make us aware of sins and progressively transform us into His likeness if we just do what we know to do. He doesn't play dark, confusing games with us. Those are from another source, designed to confuse us and make us give up.

Writing fiction is a very specialized thing though, and one I'm interested in the dynamics of myself. My best suggestion if you are interested is to find really good writers of that sort, and read their works, and analyze what they are saying.

(The reason it is specialized is that opening up our imagination is always dangerous to a degree - having it properly trained and formed is a good safeguard.)

I'm only giving partial information on what is really a big subject. I hope it helps.

God be with you.

Reactions: Gingerine
Upvote 0

Gingerine

Nov 18, 2016
il
✟24,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just one little thing .... often if you feel a sense of compulsion to do this or that (or not do it) along with anxiety related to displeasing God ... this needs to be discerned VERY carefully. Especially if it puts up any kind of wall between you and God. If the enemy can't tempt us to turn away from God and play with bad things, he will usually attempt to turn our good thoughts toward God into something bad and drag us into a maze it's hard to find our way out of.

You can expect conviction and a desire to repent if you engage in blatant sin, or even if you do a thing that God makes you realize could really hurt someone (even emotionally, spiritually, whatever) that perhaps you didn't know when you did it. In this way (and others) He grows and refines us.

But you should not feel a generalized sense of disapproval for obscure reasons when you approach Him. Especially with anxiety, compulsion, etc. The enemy likes to try to confuse us like this.

Consider Jesus' response to the woman caught in the act of adultery. That WAS blatant and serious sin, yet He forgave her.

Some denominations teach that God does these kinds of subtle things, turning from us, rewarding us, punishing us, but we are never sure why, and it's our job to figure it out so we can follow Him. God really doesn't treat us in such ways. Scripture teaches us what is right and wrong. And God understands that we begin at one point, and we should progress. He will slowly make us aware of sins and progressively transform us into His likeness if we just do what we know to do. He doesn't play dark, confusing games with us. Those are from another source, designed to confuse us and make us give up.

Writing fiction is a very specialized thing though, and one I'm interested in the dynamics of myself. My best suggestion if you are interested is to find really good writers of that sort, and read their works, and analyze what they are saying.

(The reason it is specialized is that opening up our imagination is always dangerous to a degree - having it properly trained and formed is a good safeguard.)

I'm only giving partial information on what is really a big subject. I hope it helps.

God be with you.

I've read about the devil distorting our view of God before, but I've never reallyapplied it to myself until I read your post. When I think about it though, these thoughts are distorting my view of God, when I used to think of God I imagined Him as always smiling I used to think He was fond of me I still do but now when I think of God I often imagine Him as annoyed or frustrated with me. I'm starting to understand that I need to stop acknowledging these thoughts and focus on the bible says not what my mind says. I'll definitely try to find some great writers and safe guard my imagination thank you again you've been a big help!
God bless

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I've read about the devil distorting our view of God before, but I've never reallyapplied it to myself until I read your post. When I think about it though, these thoughts are distorting my view of God, when I used to think of God I imagined Him as always smiling I used to think He was fond of me I still do but now when I think of God I often imagine Him as annoyed or frustrated with me. I'm starting to understand that I need to stop acknowledging these thoughts and focus on the bible says not what my mind says. I'll definitely try to find some great writers and safe guard my imagination thank you again you've been a big help!
God bless

If it could help you, then Glory to God! I'm happy for that.

And thank you and God bless you. Prayers for you as well. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Is this true? Sometimes I think that to prove to God that I love Him or to show Him that I truly love him I need to sacrifice something I like, for instance a television show, reading a book I like or writing about a story I spent a lot of time developing.
sometimes I also feel like I need to do this when I mess up even when I repent I feel like if I don't give up something I like God will think I'm greedy and not really sorry, and that I need to make it up to Him by banning myself from something I like even if the object is completely unrelated to my sin.
To make matters worse sometimes my thoughts speak as I'd they were God saying "if you really loved Me you would do X." or "if you really wanted to be saved you would give up X" I have banned myself from one of favorite book series because of these thoughts please help my new year is starting off kinda rough.
The Lord is not saying, "If you really loved Me you would do X," or "If you really wanted to be saved you would give up X." This is what the Lord desires:

For I desire steadfast love and not sacrifice,
the knowledge of God, rather than burnt offerings. Hosea 6:6 RSV

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
God bless
It's very important, in order to properly understand and appreciate any verse of the Bible or of any statement for that matter, to see it in it's greater context. For times sake, read them in their immediate context, then read them in the context of the whole writing together. Ultimately, the goal should be to understand the whole Bible within its own entire context. My point is, you're asking a question that essentially boils down to 'what is God's will for my life?' All of the answers are essentially found in the Word of God. If you want to show God that you love Him, then you need to study that Word He's provided so that you might know how He wants you to live, Psalms 19:7-9. There are many other good books, not with same authority or authenticity as the Bible, but they are very useful nonetheless.

For instance, "The Christian's Daily Walk" by Henry Scudder. It takes the reader through an ordinary person's daily routine suggesting thoughts to help him be spiritually minded. For example, when you wake on a given day, immediately think and pray about how one day you will wake with a glorified body and sinless soul in the new Heavens and new Earth.

When God saves a sinner, He doesn't necessarily expect them to find new vocations or new roles in life. What He does expect is that they carry out their vocations and roles and hobbies in a manner that focuses all their motivation, energy, and decisions on pleasing Him, no longer living for ourselves to please ourselves, but to please Him, 2 Corinthians 5:15. Does this mean we denounce pleasure? Of course, if it involves sin. But each man needs to instruct his own conscience by the Bible and prayer, then adjust His life accordingly, 1 Timothy 1:5. The heart of the matter is that we rejoice in the things He has given to us with praise and thanksgiving to Him, Philippians 4:6. His word will ensure that we are being careful to conduct ourselves in a manner worthy of the Gospel. Colossians 1:9-14

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This sounds very typical of OCD/scrupulosity. I could give you my opinion - and I will, if you want. But first I would like to know, what do you think? How would you answer your own question? (If you feel like you don't know, give your best guess!)

Upvote 0

Gingerine

Nov 18, 2016
il
✟24,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This sounds very typical of OCD/scrupulosity. I could give you my opinion - and I will, if you want. But first I would like to know, what do you think? How would you answer your own question? (If you feel like you don't know, give your best guess!)
at the moment I don't think it's God but sometimes I feel like it's better to believe them just in case they are from God so He won't punish me.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,002.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
at the moment I don't think it's God but sometimes I feel like it's better to believe them just in case they are from God so He won't punish me.
That sounds very much like OCD to me! :) I do the same thing. It's super hard to tell the difference, especially with issues that are ambiguous to start out with. One thing I try to do is look for the feeling accompanying the thought. I find that with OCD, I usually feel a sense of dread and oppression. The key is to not do whatever the OCD is telling you, when you feel that it might be OCD. So going ahead and writing your story anyway, or doing whatever the OCD is telling you not to do. A general rule of thumb is that if you don't know that it's NOT OCD, it probably is. :) I read a helpful post about discerning between OCD and one's real conscience, so I'll share the link here: http://ocdandchristianity.com/?p=610

Reactions: Gingerine
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gingerine

Nov 18, 2016
il
✟24,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That sounds very much like OCD to me! :) I do the same thing. It's super hard to tell the difference, especially with issues that are ambiguous to start out with. One thing I try to do is look for the feeling accompanying the thought. I find that with OCD, I usually feel a sense of dread and oppression. The key is to not do whatever the OCD is telling you, when you feel that it might be OCD. So going ahead and writing your story anyway, or doing whatever the OCD is telling you not to do. A general rule of thumb is that if you don't know that it's NOT OCD, it probably is. :) I read a helpful post about discerning between OCD and one's real conscience, so I'll share the link here: http://ocdandchristianity.com/?p=610
thank you so much!

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm starting to understand that I need to stop acknowledging these thoughts and focus on the bible says not what my mind says.
Great advice for all of us! :)

Philippians 2.5-11 is a great passage which focuses on what the Lord Jesus did when He went to the Cross.

Upvote 0