ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am saved and was raised baptist..mainly southern..I have been attending an independent baptist church for 4 months regularly as of late. have decided am wanting to grow as a christian..my question is why if people who throw out questions about faith or particular beliefs , that there is also those who say, well if you dont know all of the bible or believe all of the bible, you are a not a true christian? this hasn't happened to be but have seen it online lately. why is seeking answers or conviction considered wrong if it isn't what that one person believes...or why are you labeled as a non christian... I am sorry , but I and the only one who know my true relationship with God. He knows me, so why do people not see it as studying god's word?

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
?
I can understand someone not reading all the bible as it does take a while to read.
I dont know what you mean about not believing all of it, as it is Gods word to us. Maybe some of the online posters are just being a bit arrogant. They shouldnt say that.

We need to search scriptures to see if these things are so. Maybe they just annoyed you dont believe THEM. Also Some ppl interpret the bible a bit strangely, esp theologians.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Because some people see the Bible as a historical text that was written by fallible men, whose perceptions and sociological influences at the time may have skewed the hard facts of any particular situation at the time.

These people do not trust that God would have preserved His Breathed Scripture.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I do know that some independent baptist churches teach different things and interpret the bible differently from the mainstream baptist churches. Eg dispensationalism.

Why are you going to an independent baptist if you are affiliated with the southern baptists? Just wondering.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I am saved and was raised baptist..mainly southern..I have been attending an independent baptist church for 4 months regularly as of late. have decided am wanting to grow as a christian..my question is why if people who throw out questions about faith or particular beliefs , that there is also those who say, well if you dont know all of the bible or believe all of the bible, you are a not a true christian? this hasn't happened to be but have seen it online lately. why is seeking answers or conviction considered wrong if it isn't what that one person believes...or why are you labeled as a non christian... I am sorry , but I and the only one who know my true relationship with God. He knows me, so why do people not see it as studying god's word?
That's immaturity and clearly a modern false belief. The invention of the printing press made it possible to mass produce printings of the Bible at a cost affordable to more and more people. Prior to the printing press it was only the church and the most wealthy who could afford to pay a Scribe. I've gone to church for all practical purposes my entire 47 years and I have yet to read the entire Bible. I am not going to produce a false sense of guilt for that. It is honestly the responsibility of the church pastor to disciple his hearers. Not mine. Today's church is screwed up. Discipleship is a optional idea.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The most important thing we could do is ask questions and search out the truth. Not sure what in particualr you may be referring to, but God exhorts us to seek Him. So please, give that endeavor ALL you've got! Isaiah 1:18

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do know that some independent baptist churches teach different things and interpret the bible differently from the mainstream baptist churches. Eg dispensationalism.

Why are you going to an independent baptist if you are affiliated with the southern baptists? Just wondering.

i have visited a few over last few years..didn't feel right...this one i received an invitation to go to a camp meeting...and went..felt the spirit there..and folks were welcoming...make you feel like family...the post was made based on people saying stuff online..not from actual church...only things that bother me are also things that happen at other baptist churches too..

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
?
I can understand someone not reading all the bible as it does take a while to read.
I dont know what you mean about not believing all of it, as it is Gods word to us. Maybe some of the online posters are just being a bit arrogant. They shouldnt say that.

not believing all , but like interpreting a different way...some believe full immersion for baptism..but i found somewhere and i swear there was scripture to back up...that baptism does not have to be full immersion ..just depends what water is on hand...stuff like that...or that maybe parts of the bible are more concrete..you have more conviction over

We need to search scriptures to see if these things are so. Maybe they just annoyed you dont believe THEM. Also Some ppl interpret the bible a bit strangely, esp theologians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well I think the majority are lovely people, no church is perfect, and baptists aren't so I don't know, shall I say, intellectual or emotional as other church denoms I found, but I think where I am suits me. Also, everyone is learning and we are all looking through a glass 'darkly' as it is, we aren't face to face with God to know everything.

I have been labeled as a non christian or questioned my salvation by people who weren't baptists, one because I wouldn't leave my family and go on a mission overseas with her and the other because this guy thought my skirts were too short.

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i consider myself baptist because i agree with a lot of their beliefs, however, a lot b/c most of churches I have attended have been baptist, guess I feel more comfortable. what do you mean by intellectual and emotional? I consider myself an intelligent person , i like to analyze, learn, and ponder things. Do you mean emotional as in quiet during worship?

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well. Some churches you can jump up and down and scream and shout and cry during times of worship baptists tend to be more subdued and orderly.

Intellectual well some churches put a great store by theological arguments but I notice baptists will always refer back to scripture not their own ideas and then try and fit scripture in.
In a sense then baptists have humility and ready to admit they may be mistaken, and are not trusting in mans wisdom.

Well thats what I noticed anyway.

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
most baptists are quiet..but actually we are not the quietest..lol...really depends on the church...some preachers are very monotone in sermon...some are screamers and shouters..walk around...and some just stay behind their pulpit..it varies..i tend to like an exciteable preacher..one that will scream a little to get his point across..or to show his emotion..

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Actually our preachers have big voices and they walk around but they dont yell or scream.
Ive been to some pente type churches where they jump up and down, even throw things into the congregation.

Im like, that wouldnt happen in a baptist. Well, the baptist church I go to has a more elderly congregation, and I dont think they appreciate having things thrown at them, or like one church i went to one time, doing something like a mexican wave.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's immaturity and clearly a modern false belief. The invention of the printing press made it possible to mass produce printings of the Bible at a cost affordable to more and more people. Prior to the printing press it was only the church and the most wealthy who could afford to pay a Scribe. I've gone to church for all practical purposes my entire 47 years and I have yet to read the entire Bible. I am not going to produce a false sense of guilt for that. It is honestly the responsibility of the church pastor to disciple his hearers. Not mine. Today's church is screwed up. Discipleship is a optional idea.

Just suppose you are a pastor. Your congregation is about 250, but only 100 actually attend, and less than 35 give a dine, which is pretty close to facts. Your day off is Monday. You are on call 24 hours a day, with 100 attenders and 1050 that think if something happens they call call you any time that hits them. Believe me they do. In this week you have done 2 funerals, and been to four or five nursing homes. Handed out meals on wheels every day for lunch the last 3 weeks. Prepared three sermons. Driven some elderly people to the doctor, Attended a local Ministerial food bank meeting. Printed off the bulletin. Not to mention counseling people and wedding planning.

A church must have Deacons to help fill in the places to help disciple, that is a job they need to be involved in. So being a pastor is not a 40 hour a week job. Often pastors do not get a day off for a month or better. Being a pastor is a calling and with that calling come the responsibility to handle their own stress and family life. Stress is a part of ministry, and most pastors do a pretty good job at doing Gods will.

To be honestly blunt, your idea It is YOU who is responsible for your growth as a Christian. The pastor may give direction, and give tools to grow by or give personal counseling for those desiring to grow. Being involved in Sunday School, Sunday evening and Wednesday services are all opportunities for discipleship.

You may not have read the complete Bible, but surely you have read the New Testament, haven't you. Without a working knowledge of at least the Gospels, a person who says they are a born again Christian is seriously in danger. On what basis would they say they are a Christian?

If you joined the Elks Club you have expectations to keep. Pay dues, attend meetings do your share of the chores, and so forth. A Baptist Church is one of just a very few organizations you can join and not financially support, not attend, and do nothing to help, you don't have to pray, read the Bible, and yet call yourself a member!

Most of have gone through dry times in our Christian life, I am not talking about that. I am talking about a continual life pattern.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Er, not sure how the above post has any releveance to the topic.

I would say if a person doesnt bother to read their bible and is always trying to argue aginst what it says is not truly born again.

This does take a while to discern though...new christians need milk, more mature christians need meat.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think with the baptist churches, whats happened is that, since theres no obligations, unlike in a say, catholic church organisation, it really is up to your own free will to decide how much you want to be involved..if the holy spirit is leading you to love one another as in the second commandment, and you do what you are led to do...you belong and identify your self with christ because youve taken up your cross and decided to follow him.

Unbelievers will quickly tire of the whole church life thing and often there will come a point where they have a crisis in faith and need to either lean into God or leave the church environment and follow their own desires.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Just suppose you are a pastor. Your congregation is about 250, but only 100 actually attend, and less than 35 give a dine, which is pretty close to facts. Your day off is Monday. You are on call 24 hours a day, with 100 attenders and 1050 that think if something happens they call call you any time that hits them. Believe me they do. In this week you have done 2 funerals, and been to four or five nursing homes. Handed out meals on wheels every day for lunch the last 3 weeks. Prepared three sermons. Driven some elderly people to the doctor, Attended a local Ministerial food bank meeting. Printed off the bulletin. Not to mention counseling people and wedding planning.

A church must have Deacons to help fill in the places to help disciple, that is a job they need to be involved in. So being a pastor is not a 40 hour a week job. Often pastors do not get a day off for a month or better. Being a pastor is a calling and with that calling come the responsibility to handle their own stress and family life. Stress is a part of ministry, and most pastors do a pretty good job at doing Gods will.

To be honestly blunt, your idea It is YOU who is responsible for your growth as a Christian. The pastor may give direction, and give tools to grow by or give personal counseling for those desiring to grow. Being involved in Sunday School, Sunday evening and Wednesday services are all opportunities for discipleship.

You may not have read the complete Bible, but surely you have read the New Testament, haven't you. Without a working knowledge of at least the Gospels, a person who says they are a born again Christian is seriously in danger. On what basis would they say they are a Christian?

If you joined the Elks Club you have expectations to keep. Pay dues, attend meetings do your share of the chores, and so forth. A Baptist Church is one of just a very few organizations you can join and not financially support, not attend, and do nothing to help, you don't have to pray, read the Bible, and yet call yourself a member!

Most of have gone through dry times in our Christian life, I am not talking about that. I am talking about a continual life pattern.
I understand your point and certainly agree there is need for deacons. I still stand by my position on pastors should be the discipler, via sermon. We are certainly blessed in this time in history to have Bibles, this is not the norm through church history. My issue with others discipling is probably my same issue with my Sunday School. They do the best they can, but they don't necessarily disciple. But then again, they teach like many pastors today do they respect and like from radio, tv or podcasts. It's very possible most in this forum would say those sermons are discipling. I would not. So there is a theological worldview clash occurring.

Upvote 0