London
✟55,992.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why did God use the three astrologers if they used astrology to find jesus's star?And balaam
if he was a diviner?
The wise men didn't use astrology to find Christ. They were probably earnest seekers and knew that the star was what they were seeking. It was the ultimate sign which made all their star-scrying inconsequential.

When they saw it they recognised the object of their longing. God does the same with each of us. Many of us came from other traditions where we sought Christ unawares. Eventually we see Christ and realise that He is the answer to our questioning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Num 24:17
17 I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth.
KJV

Reactions: tryphena rose
Upvote 0

Eftsoon

Mar 26, 2021
London
✟55,992.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Num 24:17
17 I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth.
KJV

Remarkable. I wasn't aware of this. Thank you Davy.

Reactions: Davy
Upvote 0

2BeholdHisGlory

Still on vacation!
Mar 20, 2021
Outer Space
✟11,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The mystery of the stars in his hands in revelation are shown to be angels. Just as there is shown a star at his birth (as there was an angel at his conception). There is a star in the east just as there is an angel in revelation shown in the east. The star also went before them to the place where he was, just as an angel is shown being sent before the children of Isreal

When Jesus was born in
Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,

The wise men just knew before the King and all Jerusalem

Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.

When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.

You would think they would be looking for, waiting for, and desiring to see, but rather, they were troubled concerning the one born King of the Jews

And the King (to whom the wise men came) to see the one born King of the Jews hadnt the slightest clue what they were talking about, so the King had to call the religious people to clue him in on where Christ, their King and savior should be born according to the prophecies in the prophets.

And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.

And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,

And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.

And it seems since the religious folks missed it Herod, privily called the wise men, enquired of them diligently what time the star appeared (which they saw) and all Jerusalem apparently missed.

And he (Herod) sent them (the wise man, not the religious folks) to Bethlehem, saying, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also.

When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.

When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,996.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Astrology is the study of the stars and believe their position predicts life on earth and is divination while astronomy is the laws of the stars and isnt superstitution.

Several books have been written such as Marilyn Hickey's "Signs in the Heavens" a Biblically based study that reveals Jesus' redemption story.

"And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:" Gen 1:14

Balaam - God can use whomever He desires. God didnt want Balaam speaking against His people. "God said unto Balaam, Thou shalt not go with them; thou shalt not curse the people: for they are blessed." "...the angel of the Lord said unto Balaam, Go with the men: but only the word that I shall speak unto thee, that thou shalt speak. So Balaam went with the princes of Balak." Num 22

But he loved money. "Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core." Jude 1:11

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: BoB/335
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why did God use the three astrologers if they used astrology to find jesus's star?And balaam
if he was a diviner?

Three principle gifts were mentioned. No indication of how many Magi were there. Jes' sayin'.

Upvote 0

ClaytonP

Mar 24, 2021
Salem
✟9,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
if he was a diviner?
The "wise men" were there to warn Herod of the birth of Jesus and to mock God. They were Maji, Zorastan priests of Persia.
The devil knew the Christ was born, and by sending the "wise men," he was mocking the people to whom God had explained the birth, life, and death of the Messiah. Having lost that understanding, the Maji were there to mock them. And us.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,996.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Matt 2:1-12 will provide accurate information includes: (2BeholdHisGlory has already posted some)
but these

-"Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him." Matt 2:2
-'When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy." Matt 2:10
-"And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense and myrrh." Matt 2:11
-"And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way." Matt 2:12

"And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:" Gen 1:14

There were Old Testament prophesies about Jesus. When Herod gathered the chief priests and scribes and demanded they tell where the King of the Jews was to be born "And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet," Matt 2:4

Looks like Herod believed Scripture more than some believers.

Even the wiseman were prophesied "the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising." Isa 60:3

(Just reading about James Drury who wanted to become an actor after being in a play as King Herod. insp.com). Probably in a church play.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,155.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
if he was a diviner?

They were astronomers. But astrology itself was not the same then as it is now.
And God can use, work and speak through anyone. In the OT he used pagan nations to punish Israel.

Also, God comes to us where we are. These astronomers were studying stars; so God used a star to announce the birth of his Son.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,155.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The "wise men" were there to warn Herod of the birth of Jesus and to mock God.

The Magi did not mock God; they worshipped Jesus, and then they were warned by an angel not to return to Herod.
The idea that they were there to mock anyone, is not Scriptural.

Upvote 0