Jan 12, 2007
✟136,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
One of the only TV shows on now that I watch with any consistency is "Last Man Standing". For those who don't know, they're on their sixth season and it stars Tim Allen as a father with three daughters. One of the things that I like about the show is that its funny (duh), but unlike most it has a more conservative i.e. traditional bend on how people should live. Tim Allen's character works in an outdoor sports store and ends most episodes with a vlog that his character does that not only advertises some thing in the store, but also ties in with something going on with his family.

Their most recent episode, "Take Me to Church" deals with him and his wife (played by Nancy Travis) realizing that their two daughters who do live at home don't go to church now that they are young adults. They spend the episode thinking how they can get their kids not so much to go to church, but to want to go to church; in this show it looks either low-church Anglican or maybe even Methodist. Old-school Protestant with a choir, choir robes, an altar, and a minister who wears a collar in his off time.
Eventually they accomplish this by getting the two daughters involved in the church community. One gets involved by designing and making new choir robes and the other does so by playing her guitar and singing with the choir.

It was a very touching end to a good episode. If I could find a video clip of just the vlog portion, I'd happily post it, but for now just the closing monologue will have to do. In the episode, right about where he says to join real community is when the camera shifted to the inside of their church showing how the family has become more involved while the dialogue continued.
Hey, Mike Baxter here for Outdoor Man with a message for our online community.
"Online community" That's a contradiction in terms.
It's not a community if you can't hear, smell, or see the guy you're talking to.
You can brag in a chat room about the size of the buck you bagged, but lying to someone's face is harder, which is why it's so much more rewarding.
So, come on down see us, hear us, smell us.
We got a restaurant, a full bar, and a gun range.
And I should have said that in a different order.
Like any community, Outdoor Man is about give and take.
You give us your money and we take it.
You see, that kind of good-natured humor, you can't get online.
So get out and join a real community.
Come and meet new friends.
Try on some new threads.
We've got outdoor clothes in every size except small and medium.
Bring your kids and your grandkids.
Give a little bit of yourself, and I think you'll find you get a whole lot more back.
Take a look at yourself And you can look at others differently

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I like that one too. :)

I first saw it by watching old tv, but that one came on after. I still don't watch new episodes as they come out, mostly because I don't even know when it's on and I don't watch the channels that have current shows. But I was pleasantly surprised to learn that it's still running.

It's on Netflix too.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Wait, it's on Netflix? I didn't know that. I occasionally catch it on regular TV after work, but I never remember when it's on. It reminds me a lot of Home Improvement.
Unless they recently took it off, it should be.

They never include the current season, but I watched through all of what they had on Netflix about a year or two ago.

Upvote 0