Visit site
✟1,027.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok..Ok..I've calmed down since my last posting. I was thinking about my daughter and wanted to share something interesting. My daughter has night terrors. She's had them since she was a few months old. They aren't like nightmares. Apparently, they don't remember them. I would love to know how the scientists figured that one out! Anyhoo, It upset me when my daughter woke from every nap, screaming. By the time I got into her room...she was back asleep! Frustrating! I heard abuot this technique being used and I tried it. It worked! Thank God!

What did I do? About a half hour after my daughter fell asleep, I would go in and wake her up (just enough to open her eyes). She would fall right back off to sleep.

What happened? Scientists have found that waking your child up (just enough) allows their brain to go immediately into REM (deep) sleep.

I must sound crazy but, it really worked. It took almost a week but, my daughter has no more night terrors.

Anyone else ever try this?

Jenna

Senior Veteran
Jun 13, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
✟4,598.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've never made a point to try that, but I recognize now that that is what I have done with my daughter in the past. Normally Anna sleeps well at night, but there are some nights when she is so stricken with night terrors that she will just cry and cry, and I have a hard time pulling her out of it. So, I would pick her up and rock her, talk to her, stroke her hair. I would only keep talking to her long enough that she woke up a little and would calm down. I could tell that time because she is a compulsive thumb sucker. lol Then, until she was completely calm, I would just stroke her hair before snuggling her back into bed. She would never fully wake up, but it was just enough to get her back into a restful sleep.

Upvote 0

LynnMcG

A reflection of the Son
Sep 20, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟20,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Wow, that's awesome I wish I knew about that when my daughter was having night terrors. She used to wake up screaming. Once, it lasted for more than 20 minutes. It was awful. I cried so hard when it was done. Now my 2 year-old has been waking up crying out in the night and you've got me thinking. Sometimes by the time I get to him he's back to sleep. Sometimes, he's sitting up in his bed twirling the corner of his blankie. Either way, I think he's asleep. So I wonder if what you did will work on him. I'll give it a shot tonight. I'm so darn tired from waking up with him!!

Upvote 0
E

EmSchmem

LynnMcG said:
Wow, that's awesome I wish I knew about that when my daughter was having night terrors. She used to wake up screaming. Once, it lasted for more than 20 minutes. It was awful. I cried so hard when it was done. Now my 2 year-old has been waking up crying out in the night and you've got me thinking. Sometimes by the time I get to him he's back to sleep. Sometimes, he's sitting up in his bed twirling the corner of his blankie. Either way, I think he's asleep. So I wonder if what you did will work on him. I'll give it a shot tonight. I'm so darn tired from waking up with him!!
oooooh creepy Lynn... the song that you have in your signature is on the radio right this second as I was reading your post.....

Upvote 0

LynnMcG

A reflection of the Son
Sep 20, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟20,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
EmSchmem said:
oooooh creepy Lynn... the song that you have in your signature is on the radio right this second as I was reading your post.....
oooooohhhh. Or maybe just overplayed?! :D And still I love that song...

Upvote 0