Something I didn't know about black holes that blew my mind!

Cute Tink

Blah
Supporter
Nov 22, 2002
✟102,861.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's definitely true. And scientists are awesome because they're always pushing a scraping at the boundaries of human knowledge. I'm personally hoping they can stop aging before they break the light speed barrier haha. And it actually looks like they're hot in it's heels so we'll see where that goes in our lifetime.

And here I am hoping they can make me into an android before I die, so cheers. I'll just be happy if I can get sent into space before I'm too old to enjoy it. The further I can go, the happier I'll be.

My faith, if you will, in the future of humanity as a whole will be well rewarded I think (at least long term).

Psh. You know as much as I do.

I am fascinated by black holes, which brought me into the topic. I think it would be incredibly interesting if they find a way to send in a probe that could send back information on what is going on inside one day. I'll be hoping.

Upvote 0

badtim

Vatican Warlock Assassin
Dec 3, 2010
✟8,009.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
And here I am hoping they can make me into an android before I die, so cheers. I'll just be happy if I can get sent into space before I'm too old to enjoy it. The further I can go, the happier I'll be.

Sign me up right now, i've been saying that my brain should be used as a control system in a deep space probe for 30 years now!

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I just have a minor objection to the statements like "nothing can travel faster than light" or that ships couldn't survive the forces involved. We don't really know that. It's simply a matter of our technology is not there yet. I prefer to think that nothing is truly impossible, we just aren't there yet.
Actually it is not a matter of technology. All matter is made up of quantum particles and all matter must abide by the fundamental constants that allow for matter to exist. In a singularity; Time is ZERO, and without time, space cannot exist, and thus in the centre of a black hole there is no space time and no amount of technology can change that.

Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I am fascinated by black holes, which brought me into the topic. I think it would be incredibly interesting if they find a way to send in a probe that could send back information on what is going on inside one day. I'll be hoping.
I only wish this could be possible too. The problem is that since information cannot be destroyed then all information is kept at the event horizon because beyond that everything is destroyed and ceases to exist.

Upvote 0

Agonaces of Susa

Evolution is not science: legalize creationism.
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego
Visit site
✟11,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
In a singularity; Time is ZERO, and without time, space cannot exist, and thus in the centre of a black hole there is no space time and no amount of technology can change that.
In a singularity, Cinderella has invisible pink unicorns aboard Noah's Ark.

Technology would be irrelevant because of magic and sorcery.

Anything is possible because singularities are imaginary.

Time and space are imaginary concepts not physical material objects.

Yes, black holes exist in Hollywood, but it's MTV pseudoscience.

"...the 'Schwarzschild singularities' do not exist in physical reality." -- Albert Einstein, mathematician, 1939

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mzungu

INVICTUS
Dec 17, 2010
Earth!
✟24,975.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
In a singularity, Cinderella has invisible pink unicorns aboard Noah's Ark.

Technology would be irrelevant because of magic and sorcery.

Anything is possible because singularities are imaginary.

Time and space are imaginary concepts not physical material objects.

Yes, black holes exist in Hollywood, but it's MTV pseudoscience.

"...the 'Schwarzschild singularities' do not exist in physical reality." -- Albert Einstein, mathematician, 1939
You do realise that all you are doing is spoil every debate you participate in? Your actions are identical to trolling and I request from you to please leave us alone. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Agonaces of Susa

Nov 18, 2009
San Diego
Visit site
✟11,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
You do realise that all you are doing is spoil every debate you participate in? Your actions are identical to trolling and I request from you to please leave us alone. Thank you!
You believe in the fairy tale myth of invisible black holes based upon faith and zero evidence whatsoever, but you know for a fact the universe wasn't caused by a higher intelligent power. Interesting worldview...:thumbsup:

There is a middle ground between us. Scientists now say that black holes were created by Intelligent Designers: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7972538/Are-we-living-in-a-designer-universe.html

If such designers make universes by manufacturing black holes – the only way to do it that we are aware of – there are three levels at which they might operate. The first is just to manufacture black holes, without influencing the laws of physics in the new universe. Humanity is nearly at this level, which Gregory Benford's novel Cosm puts in an entertaining context: an American researcher finds herself, after an explosion in a particle accelerator, with a new universe on her hands, the size of a baseball.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Agonaces of Susa

Nov 18, 2009
San Diego
Visit site
✟11,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I wouldn't say there was zero evidence.

New Evidence for Black Holes - NASA Science
That article is from 2001.

That's 3 years before Stephen Hawking conceded black holes do not exist.

Overbye, D., About Those Fearsome Black Holes? Never Mind, The New York Times, Jul 2004

Meet the Indian who took on Steven Hawking, Rediff.Com, Aug 2004

Hogan, J., Hawking Concedes Black Hole Bet, New Scientist, Jul 2004

Did you even read the article?

Black holes cannot be observed by an x-ray telescope because x-rays cannot escape a black hole...:thumbsup:

either a black hole or neutron star.
"According to electric star theory, neutron stars belong in the same category with invisible pink unicorns." -- Stephen Smith, journalist, November 2008
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6193-hawking-concedes-black-hole-bet.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ar Cosc

I only exist on the internet
Jul 12, 2010
Scotland
✟3,511.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

Overbye, D., About Those Fearsome Black Holes? Never Mind, The New York Times, Jul 2004

Meet the Indian who took on Steven Hawking, Rediff.Com, Aug 2004

Hogan, J., Hawking Concedes Black Hole Bet, New Scientist, Jul 2004

Did you even read the article?

Black holes cannot be observed by an x-ray telescope because x-rays cannot escape a black hole...:thumbsup:

"According to electric star theory, neutron stars belong in the same category with invisible pink unicorns." -- Stephen Smith, journalist, November 2008

Is this your magic electric universe where mass doesn't attract mass and Jesus flies around in the Millenium Falcon again? I'm glad to see you at least have the internet in there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Agonaces of Susa

Nov 18, 2009
San Diego
Visit site
✟11,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Ar Cosc

Jul 12, 2010
Scotland
✟3,511.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Why do you think electricity is magic?
I never said electricity was magic (just like most of the people you quote-mine from never meant what you make them out to have said)

Do you deny the fact that the moon falls away from the Earth at the rate of 3.8 centimeters per year?
Do you deny centrifugal force?

No wonder you believe in evolution.
You're right. It makes much less sense than a spacefaring Vishnu and his pal Enkai, giving cows to the Masai out the window of their flying saucer (quickly flying away to avoid being nuked by Pythagoras)

Upvote 0

Agonaces of Susa

Nov 18, 2009
San Diego
Visit site
✟11,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Ar Cosc

Jul 12, 2010
Scotland
✟3,511.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Yes you did: http://www.christianforums.com/t7530897-6/#post56638479

You said the electric universe is magic.
The "electric universe" is not the same as electricity. One is a crackpot theory only accepted by people with a supreme ignorance of almost all areas of science. One is a collection of phenomena relating to the presence or movement of electric charge. Your imaginary "electric universe" could not work with our known laws of physics, therefore it must be magic.

You claim centrifugal force is the dominant force in the universe? Why don't we fly off the Earth then?

I didn't claim that. You'd think you'd be better at quoting people after having so much practice.

I think you'll find that the lengthening of the distance between the earth and the moon and the fact that we don't fly off into space are quite adequately explained by a combination of gravitational and centrifugal force.

How would you* explain these phenomena in your fantasy universe?

*you, not a collection of quotes cobbled together, none of which even approach making a coherent argument

Upvote 0

Agonaces of Susa

Nov 18, 2009
San Diego
Visit site
✟11,653.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The "electric universe" is not the same as electricity.
LOL.

In fact it is.

Your dichotomy is absurd and indicates a crank worldview.

Why do you think electricity is a crackpot theory?

Why do you think electrons are magic?

Because the atheist deity called "Gravitation" can't account for them?

Just because gravitation [the atheist god] can't explain electromagnetism doesn't mean electromagnetism is magic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ar Cosc

Jul 12, 2010
Scotland
✟3,511.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
LOL.

In fact it is.
It really isn't

Your dichotomy is absurd and indicates a crank worldview.
Dichotomy? Do you know what that word means?

Why do you think electricity is a crackpot theory?
I don't

Why do you think electrons are magic?
I don't

Because the atheist deity called "Gravitation" can't account for them?
I thought we worshipped the Demon Lord Darwin. Try and keep track of your own lunacy!

Just because gravitation [the atheist god] can't explain electromagnetism doesn't mean electromagnetism is magic.

And the zeroth law of thermodynamics can't explain friction. So what? Do you think you're being clever?

Upvote 0

Frumious Bandersnatch

Contributor
Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
✟15,931.00
Faith
Unitarian
Do you deny the fact that the moon falls away from the Earth at the rate of 3.8 centimeters per year?
I probably shouldn't ask but what does the recession of the moon due to tidal dissipation have to do with the arguments here?

Upvote 0

KhlulHloo

It's not pronounced Kuh-THOO-loo
Nov 28, 2007
In a sunken city where the angles are wrong
✟8,709.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

Finally!!
FINALLY, my child, my spawn :clap:
Finally your deceptions are clear to the world!

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Good for you, keep going my child!!

Upvote 0