Something about humor that I've always wondered..

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why do many people find slapstick humor so funny? We see somebody fall out of a tree or walk into a pole, and as long as they're ok, we laugh our heads off. I wonder if chimps laugh at each other when that happens..

I can't imagine what evolutionary pressures would cause humor at the misfortune of others to come up... taken to higher levels it's antisocial behavior.
Do you guys know?

Stan (AKA Otaku-chan)

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
✟7,789.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Bahaha! I actually tend to laugh at people even if they break a leg. For example, one guy at school was jumping from ridiculous heights and doing all these things after school and it was only me and a buddy on some stairs. We watched him and laughed when he kept on falling and getting up, and when he tried to climb up a pole and jump down we thought it was real funny (a teacher stopped him though).

It all depends on what a person thinks it's funny I guess.

Upvote 0

Ectezus

Beholder
Mar 1, 2009
✟8,683.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I can't imagine what evolutionary pressures would cause humor at the misfortune of others to come up... taken to higher levels it's antisocial behavior.
Do you guys know?

The first thing that pops into my head is: Self-preservation.

Ok that needs explaining:;)

"Self preservation is part of an animal's instinct that demands that the organism survives. Pain and fear are parts of this mechanism. Pain causes discomfort so that the organism is inclined to stop the pain. Fear causes the organism to seek safety [...]" (wiki)

So we have an inherent fear against certain things to prevent us from making mistakes. Obviously having a fear is not an emotion we like to feel. Just like pain, we need it but we don't like it.

I think seeing someone being in such a situation that we 'fear' and then find out he's ok with no harm done reasures us and reduces that inherent fear.

It's kinda like I could be afraid for.. lets say; bungee jumping. Afterall it doesn't really seem logical to jump of a bridge! (Love it though :)). However if I see 10 other people jumping off before me that can comfort me and remove the fear, which would mean a bad feeling went away.

Could be plenty of other reasons though. This one just popped up first.

- Ectezus

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why do many people find slapstick humor so funny? We see somebody fall out of a tree or walk into a pole, and as long as they're ok, we laugh our heads off. I wonder if chimps laugh at each other when that happens..

Do you guys know?

I am glad to see you pondering on this. Evolution does not work on humanity. There is nothing more obvious than that.

Upvote 0

Ectezus

Beholder
Mar 1, 2009
✟8,683.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Another possibility is that it simply makes you feel good because relatively speaking to the person getting 'slapsticked' you're better of.

Think of it as children bullying a nerdy kid. By teasing him they won't be better human beings, however by lowering his value, they automatically become better than him (in their mind). Which obviously, is a nice feeling.

- Ectezus

Reactions: gaara4158
Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
Juv sez
am glad to see you pondering on this. Evolution does not work on humanity. There is nothing more obvious than that. QUOTE////

Hespera sez

wrong. Only thing obvious here is that an ideolog cant see past the end of his ideology.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Another possibility is that it simply makes you feel good because relatively speaking to the person getting 'slapsticked' you're better of.

Think of it as children bullying a nerdy kid. By teasing him they won't be better human beings, however by lowering his value, they automatically become better than him (in their mind). Which obviously, is a nice feeling.

- Ectezus
I like both of your explanations; neither of them had occurred to me. Check your rep :thumbsup:
I think connecting it to bullying is a very astute observation, and more people will be likely to do it because there's less guilt in simply getting entertainment from another's injury than there is with causing it. Perhaps pranks would fall into this category as well?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am glad to see you pondering on this. Evolution does not work on humanity. There is nothing more obvious than that.
So when a question is too hard, just answer goddidit. Nothing new here.

Upvote 0

plindboe

Feb 29, 2004
In my pants
✟10,498.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Do you guys know?

Laughing is a social behaviour. Sure, the person who got kicked in the scrotum might feel left out when we laugh, but we strengten the bonds to other potential observers standing close to us. Being social animals we continuously seek to divide ourselves into groups, and laughing at others could simply be another tool in this pursuit. That's one possible explanation.

Another point that needs to be made and that might also help to explain slapstick humour is that evolution doesn't result in all traits being explainable as optimal adaptions. Rather evolution works by working with the genetic potential at hand, producing trade offs and coming up with general solutions. For instance we've evolved the trait of panicking in life-threatening situations. This trait can be a benefit or a disadvantage depending on the situation. If we evolved in an environment where the life-saving situations outweigh the life-costing situations then the trait will be selected for. Lifewise, the curious aberration of our adoration of baby animals can be explained by us evolving a fondness of features inherent in our own offspring (small size, clumsiness, big eyes, big head etc.). With humour, a similarly general approach taken by evolution can explain why we might find some examples that could be counterproductive, simply because the overall benefits of having humour outweighs the disadvantages.

Peter :)

Upvote 0

Hespera

Dec 16, 2008
usa
✟8,850.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private
So when a question is too hard, just answer goddidit. Nothing new here.

Yep goddidit can only explain why SOME things are funny.
A sensibly evolving organism would see that its goal was to be a better critter than that, and evolve a really good sense of humor.

Upvote 0

MoonLancer

The Moon is a reflection of the MorningStar
Aug 10, 2007
✟22,024.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
In Relationship

lol. I think evolution explains it just fine. laughter is a stress relief. someone elses pain reminds of our own mortality and imperfect nature, thus laughter kicks in to subside that so we don't get heart attacks.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,588.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
This question reminds me of a documentary I once saw. A bunch of lions chased prey (dunno what it was, maybe antilopes). All Antilopes ran away from them, but one was caught. When the Lions killed that antilope and started to om nom nom nom on it, the other antilopes just stood there and watched from a marginally safe distance. They didn't do anything, but I had the nagging feeling that, in their own, silent antilope ways, they were laughing their asses of that Steve got eaten.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

milkyway

Jun 9, 2006
London
✟7,912.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Do you guys know?
I can't believe that I'm the only one to notice the spelling mistake in the OP!

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can't believe that I'm the only one to notice the spelling mistake in the OP!
after carefully proofreading, i've failed to find anything. I trust you're not referring to "humour," vs "humor," so i'm at a loss. enlighten me!

Upvote 0

atomweaver

Nov 3, 2006
"Flat Raccoon", Connecticut
✟10,391.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
They didn't do anything, but I had the nagging feeling that, in their own, silent antilope ways, they were laughing their asses of that Steve got eaten.

...That's just your Inner Gary Larson Fan talking. ;)

(Oh, wait, a Deutscher? Nope, I'm wrong... that's the Schadenfreude talking)

Gaara, for your reading pleasure (some primary sources from the Schadenfreude entry of wikipedia);

1. ^ St. John, Warren. "Sorrow So Sweet: A Guilty Pleasure in Another's Woe". New York Times, Aug. 24, 2002.
  2. ^ Singer T, Seymour B, O'Doherty JP, Stephan KE, Dolan RJ, Frith CD (January 2006). "Empathic neural responses are modulated by the perceived fairness of others". Nature 439 (7075): 466–9. doi:10.1038/nature04271. PMID 16421576. Lay-summary
  3. ^ Science (February 13, 2009) "When Your Gain Is My Pain and Your Pain Is My Gain: Neural Correlates of Envy and Schadenfreude" by Hidehiko Takahashi et al.
  4. ^ New York Times (February 17, 2009) "In Pain and Joy of Envy, the Brain May Play a Role" by Natalie Angier

Upvote 0