Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Today was a very frustrating day for me for various reasons, and I let my patience wear thin. At one point when my patience was almost out my 3 year old son came up and swatted me on the leg with a broken shoe string (which stung pretty good), in anger I swatted back (not hard) but I shouldn't have...

This made my day even worse, his tears went away pretty quickly since his feelings were hurt more than anything else, but the words from his mouth "daddy, you hurt my heart" still ring in my ears...I can't go into it all, but it's a continual struggle for me to break a cycle that existed between me and my father and he and his father...etc. I could really use your prayers.

I sat down and wrote these words, then spent the next 30 minutes on my knees talking to my Heavenly Father...it's is reconciled with Him I know, but please pray with me for the strength to break a cycle...

God, how do I get forgiveness from my three year old?
It means absolutely everything to me,
The warmness of his smile uncorrupted by trepidation
Is what I live to see.

Yet today, general frustration overtook me
Just before he unexpectedly swatted my bare skin
And before I could again think rationally
I lashed out in kind to him.

Redness on his tummy,
In the shape of my backhand.
It was not equal to the deed,
And his eyes clearly didn’t understand.

And the stinging of my leg
Already beginning to subside
Immediately paled
To the pain I felt inside.

I saw my father’s anger
In the redness that was there.
I again saw the hands around my throat.
The angry face from my nightmares.

It took only seconds for realization
To creep into my son’s purity.
That what his father had just done
Was very painful indeed.

But taking him up in my arms
Did not stem the tide
It had gone beyond the redness now
The tears reflected what was inside.

Daddy could not take it back.
Could not make him understand.
Cannot explain why he needs forgiveness
From this one innocent little man.

Will he do as I
And one day scream he hates me.
Or can I explain forgiveness
To a child who is only three?

Thanks ahead of time.

altya

Servant of God
Apr 28, 2002
South Africa
Visit site
✟14,320.00
Faith
Non-Denom
To acknowledge you were wrong is the first step to break a stronghold like this. By writing this poem you admit plus you specify where the stronghold come form.

HEAVENLY FATHER, IN THE NAME OF JESUS AND BY THE POWER OF THE HOLY SPIRIT, I CAST DOWN ALL IMAGINATIONS, AND EVERY HIGH THING THAT EXALTES THEMSELVES AGAINST THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD. I BRING INTO CAPTIVITY EVERY THOUGHT TO THE OBEDIENCE OF CHRIST.
I PULL DOWN ALL STRONGHOLD AND BREAK ALL GENERATION CURSES IN JESUS NAME. - AMEN

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
SCJ,

I do not condem you, but I encourage you to seek Christian counseling.  I have walked in your shoes.  It is a curse past down to you, but you must break this curse.  It is a control issue.

Realize, your son belongs to God.  I doubt very seriously you would harm someone else's child.  I can't remember the verse, but Jesus said something like this: "Whatever you do unto the least of these, you have done it unto me."  SCJ, I tell you a truth, you hit Jesus.  Please don't let my words bring more dispair on you, I am hoping you can use my words to help break the curse.  And do not mentally beat yourself up, but allow God's love to pour into your heart.  Forgive your earthly father and forgive yourself.  I am praying for you.:pray:

Upvote 0

SCJ

Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2002
Middle Georgia
✟29,764.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks Auntie, I have tried to forgive my father really recently and he wasn't accepting of it. I tried to share Christ with him and when he asked why I was doing it I told him because I was going to heaven and since I loved him I wanted him to be there too. His last words in that conversation were how he thought I was going to fail.

I spent a good amount of time on my knees yesterday prior to posting. I spent some quality time with my son last night, and talked with my wife about it when she got home. My wife knows the stuff I went through and the nightmares (it almost broke up our marriage once).

Interestingly enough (God works in amazing ways sometimes) I am scheduled to have a private lunch with our Senior Pastor on Monday about something related to this cycle that I am in.

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by SCJ

Thanks Auntie, I have tried to forgive my father really recently and he wasn't accepting of it. I tried to share Christ with him and when he asked why I was doing it I told him because I was going to heaven and since I loved him I wanted him to be there too. His last words in that conversation were how he thought I was going to fail.

SCJ,

Don't give up on your earthly father, but you must put his salvation in God's hands.  Let go and let God.  Many years ago, I prayed to God that He would be my earthly father in addition to being my heavenly Father, and that prayer has blessed me and broke the generational curse.  SCJ, see yourself as a son of the King of Kings.  Regardless of who you were born to, you have been adopted into the family of God, and now you are my brother and God is truely our actual and literal Father, as He created us from above.

As soon as you are able, try to put the past of your childhood behind you, and be free from the bondage of those dreadful memories and the pain those memories bring upon you.

Forgiveness is difficult when we have been hurt so deeply, but forgiveness helps free us of the bondage of anger and depression.  I pray every night: "God, help me to forgive others who have sinned against me".  Forgiveness is something we have to do everyday, as an act of our will, and it is a process that happens gradually.  It is a spiritual and healing process within us, and is not hinged on the acceptance of others.

I hope and pray you can one day have the closeness that you long to have with your earthly father, but for now, if he is not willing, then you must find peace within your heart about the situation, by letting go of it and giving it to God.  Lay it at the foot of the Cross.  Continue to love your dad, but let it be a new kind of love, a love that is born of the Holy Spirit within you, a love that is free of all the bondage of pain from your childhood.

Interestingly enough (God works in amazing ways sometimes) I am scheduled to have a private lunch with our Senior Pastor on Monday about something related to this cycle that I am in.

Isn't God wonderful??:hug:  God loves you so much SCJ, more than we can begin to know or understand.  You are so blessed!:hug::pray:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
You know, the power of sin is often broken once you confess. Go to your little one and tell him that hitting him in anger was a sin against him and that you are very sorry. Then confess to God.

My uncle had a problem with hitting his kids out of anger until he confessed and asked his kids to forgive him. Once he said, "My big regret in life is that I hit you kids," his anger was dissipated and he never felt the urge to hit them again. It also healed the strained relationships he had with his children.

The Bible says we are to confess our sins to one another. Your child is someone you should confess this to and get forgiveness from. Don't wait 20 years. The hurt in his heart could be a big wound by then!

Upvote 0

SCJ

Veteran
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2002
Middle Georgia
✟29,764.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally posted by lambslove
You know, the power of sin is often broken once you confess. Go to your little one and tell him that hitting him in anger was a sin against him and that you are very sorry. Then confess to God.

My uncle had a problem with hitting his kids out of anger until he confessed and asked his kids to forgive him. Once he said, "My big regret in life is that I hit you kids," his anger was dissipated and he never felt the urge to hit them again. It also healed the strained relationships he had with his children.

The Bible says we are to confess our sins to one another. Your child is someone you should confess this to and get forgiveness from. Don't wait 20 years. The hurt in his heart could be a big wound by then!

Was done to him about 2 seconds after the incident. His favorite saying now is 'you can be a bad daddy sometimes...' My wife left earlier today and we spent about 3 hours just playing ball and tickling. As for God, the first change I had alone I spent a lot of time on my knees...it is reconciled in those regards.

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
Then God will start healing it. Honestly.

Talk to your son about changing his favorite saying from "you can be a bad daddy," to "you can be a loving daddy." Afterall, you've been more loving to him than bad, haven't you? Help him to see that one smack doesn't make you a bad daddy, just human, and all the loving things you do make you a good daddy.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.