Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is why, the old adage; a grand jury could indict a ham sandwich, is actually pretty accurate.
I agree.

The addition of the "racist" claim doesn't change that, but since it was inaccurate, it deserved a rebuttal.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Here is the reality about a grand jury.
They are led by the prosecutor and that prosecutor, presents to them, whatever he wishes to and in whatever style they wish.
This is why, the old adage; a grand jury could indict a ham sandwich, is actually pretty accurate. If a prosecutor wants to indict someone, they can get a grand jury to do it. If a prosecutor does not want to indict someone, and has to go through a grand jury to make it look good, they change the way they present the case.
Not entirely true.

I am reminded of the Irving Mall "Vigilante Killer" some thirty years ago who shot and killed a man who had just shot and killed a woman outside the mall. The grand jury refused to indict.

It never made sense for the DA to try for an indictment against a good samaritan in Texas anyway. Even though the judge instructed the grand jury to indict, someone on the jury understood the concept of "jury nullification" and the grand jury simply disregarded the judge's explicit instruction.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not entirely true.

I am reminded of the Irving Mall "Vigilante Killer" some thirty years ago who shot and killed a man who had just shot and killed a woman outside the mall. The grand jury refused to indict.

It never made sense for the DA to try for an indictment against a good samaritan in Texas anyway. Even though the judge instructed the grand jury to indict, someone on the jury understood the concept of "jury nullification" and the grand jury simply disregarded the judge's explicit instruction.
Your anecdotal example actually reinforces that grand juries that are capable of preventing an injustice are the exception.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Your anecdotal example actually reinforces that grand juries that are capable of preventing an injustice are the exception.
Up is down? Interesting.

Could it be that grand juries where you live don't care about justice? Or, maybe, instead, you have a very biased view of what grand juries do?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ferguson? Really?

Do you know the truth?
Didn’t read the whole thing? It’s lengthy and lots of references. Try again when you have more time as it’s about process and legitimate use and ways the system needs improving.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Didn’t read the whole thing? It’s lengthy and lots of references. Try again when you have more time as it’s about process and legitimate use and ways the system needs improving.
When the basic premise is flawed, there's little reason for in-depth analysis.

Did you take the time to learn the truth about Ferguson?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not entirely true.

Do they have judges in grand juries in Texas? Grand juries typically don't have judges.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Do they have judges in grand juries in Texas? Grand juries typically don't have judges.
I didn't know grand juries in other places didn't have judges present.

Here's how it works where I used to live in Texas:
Grand Jury

A grand jury consists of 12 Tarrant County citizens selected by a district judge who presides over the grand jury.​

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I didn't know grand juries in other places didn't have judges present.

Here's how it works where I used to live in Texas:
Grand Jury

A grand jury consists of 12 Tarrant County citizens selected by a district judge who presides over the grand jury.​

In most grand juries, judges are not present.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,472.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

Lying media makes up articles and idiots give them hits.
Trump is for all Americans. That is the truth, but not very exciting.

So much truth.....and on the internet too!!!

• Haha
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes and Ferguson isn’t the rabbit trail I’m going down. That’s why I gave you another option.

Reactions: camille70
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Except that there is NO supporting proof of any of it.

To believe your idea I have to accept a report from a gossip magazine that cites no supporting documentation or names.

It lack this little thing called proof
The New York Post is not a "gossip magazine"; it's a tabloid with a conservative slant. Page Six is their gossip page - it featured The Donald, as he was then known*, quite frequently, to his delight. The NYP is mostly read for its sports and its Page Six, but people here have been known to quote its other pages as if they meant something.

And hey, the National Enquirer did break the John Edwards scandal.

*other rags referred to him as "a short-fingered vulgarian".

Reactions: camille70
Upvote 0