the Great Basin
✟329,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
(Don't worry, no need to dance. I'm just exercising my right to respond here. Just using your statements as examples for thought...)

"The fact that the existing system won't catch every undocumented person isn't an excuse to chuck it completely"
I don't want to get rid of e-verify - its a step in the right direction. I do want to know about who I might hire, and nowadays I think it is even more important. I don't even care if a person has a criminal record, as long as I know what kind of criminal activity... etc. I think e-verify helps but as it is, it is just one more of the hundreds of hoops business has to jump through. Workers comp, workers claims, insurances of all kinds, safety standards, OSHA, legal considerations, zoning, EPA, , not to mention the work itself with building codes, inspections and regulations it drives small business owners crazy, and out of business.

"Certain industries, i.e. construction, agriculture, food processing have been benefiting from cheap illegal labor.."
True.
This state has been flooded with illegal immigrants.
Certain business' begin grow and survive here simply 'because' cheap labor is available. When you have so many people here willing to work for so much less than long time residents, business' pop up and grow simply because the labor is here and available.
If there weren't any illegal immigrants - then business and industry couldn't take advantage of them - because there wouldn't be any.

We can't expect 'business' or industry to take care of this problem, you have to allow more legal or more control over the borders, how else?

So what is your issue with eVerify? If we make it mandatory, then it will do a lot to slow down and even stop illegal immigration. Yes, there are ways to "fool" eVerify, at least temporarily, but as they also mention they are constantly improving it.

And you keep talking as if you think eVerify is a major hoop. At least as originally implemented, it takes a few minutes on a government website when you first hire an employee -- potentially being faster for the employer than getting the employee to properly fill out an I-9.

As for not not expecting business or industry "take care of the problem" -- the fact remains, if illegals can't get jobs they are going to quit coming. Making the border "tighter" doesn't fix the issue -- since so many illegal immigrants come to the US legally, then overstay a visa or other, similar, method. Getting businesses to ensure the people they employ, by using a solution such as eVerify that is (or was intended to be) a relatively quick and easy check, is one of the best ways to curb illegal immigration.

Upvote 0

zelosravioli

Believer
Site Supporter
Mar 15, 2014
Northern California
✟146,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Simply, I agree with you. I had wrote that they need to improve the process, and then it might work, but I deleted that part because:
1. I thought my post was already too long.
2. I still think too much 'personal information' available online or otherwise is really dangerous to our family liberty and freedom. Everything online these days gets hacked. The more info they have the more information is hacked, manipulated, or misused. Do I need to know absolutely everything about someone I want to hire, to paint a wall, or drive my forklift? I don't know - sounds like America operated fine for the past 200 years without such personal intrusion and tracking. I think I would rather give up some of my worries about an employee - because - the bigger threat I believe are Govts and criminals and what they can do with too much information (Russia, China for example).

"... the fact remains, if illegals can't get jobs they are going to quit coming"
I agree, in part. Improved e-verify would solve 'most' the problem, the economic problem. But nowadays the problem is alot of felons, illegal gang traffic, child trafficking, kidnapping, and illegal drugs crossing the border - I don't believe difficulty with getting a job will effect any of the criminal traffic.

'Some' people in Govt have encouraged (!) illegal immigration, set up sanctuary cities, bemoaned and prevented security agents from doing their job - and we want employers to do it instead? - our country has a logic problem not simply an immigration problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While running for president, Trump touted a national E-Verify mandate.

“We will ensure that E-Verify is used to the fullest extent possible under existing law, and we will work with Congress to strengthen and expand its use across the country,” he declared in a 2016 speech in Arizona.

But his support for E-verify does not extend to even the properties under his own control.

His golf courses in North Carolina and Doral, Fla., use it, as well as his Mar-a-Lago resort and his hotels in Washington and Chicago.

But a number of other Trump properties — including the Bedminster golf club — do not appear in that database of employers using E-Verify.

And now there are revelations (in the failing NYT) of undocumented workers at one of these properties. These workers claim that management knew of their immigration status.

Of course, this could just be Trump (or his organization - certainly not clear or likely that Trump had any direct knowledge) being smart. Getting cheap labor.

This is exactly the fear that Trump stoked on the campaign trail. Brown people will come and steal your beautiful white American jobs and depress your wages.

Despite promises of doing something about it, and control of both houses of Congress and the White House, the Republicans have done next to nothing.

I find it a bit offensive that you equate doing something illegal with skin color. I oppose illegality. I find that a reasonable thing to do. People ought to obey laws. To suggest, as you seem to be doing here, that only those of a darker complexion do not obey them is at the very least unwarranted.

Upvote 0

PreviouslySeeking...

May 9, 2017
Seattle
✟85,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
The reality is this - we need to make eVerify more robust and likely take on a (gasp) national ID system that incorporates a lot of the traditional paper docs (birth certificate/ SSN). We need to require the use of eVerify. Failing to use it should result in the leverage of heavy fines that could close a business.

As long as the economic carrot exists- people will take risks. Remove the carrot & they won't. The reason why we can't stop drugs is because they make too much $$$$. The risk is worth it. The same with undocumented workers - the businesses & the workers make money - that is why it continues. If people couldn't come here and make money - they wouldn't come.

Expanding the guest worker program would address needed workers and needed documentation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I find it a bit offensive that you equate doing something illegal with skin color. I oppose illegality. I find that a reasonable thing to do. People ought to obey laws. To suggest, as you seem to be doing here, that only those of a darker complexion do not obey them is at the very least unwarranted.

I was not describing my own position, but the one that Trump has promulgated on the campaign trail and during his time in office.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was not describing my own position, but the one that Trump has promulgated on the campaign trail and during his time in office.

Please quote us where he mentioned brown people and white jobs.

• Agree
Reactions: zelosravioli
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Please quote us where he mentioned brown people and white jobs.

I was using poetic license to characterize Trump's flowery speech.

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best,” he said in the same speech. “They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists."

"These aren't people. These are animals."

But of course: “I am the least racist person that you have ever met.”

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
2. I still think too much 'personal information' available online or otherwise is really dangerous to our family liberty and freedom. Everything online these days gets hacked. The more info they have the more information is hacked, manipulated, or misused. Do I need to know absolutely everything about someone I want to hire, to paint a wall, or drive my forklift? I don't know - sounds like America operated fine for the past 200 years without such personal intrusion and tracking. I think I would rather give up some of my worries about an employee - because - the bigger threat I believe are Govts and criminals and what they can do with too much information (Russia, China for example).

The E-Verify system works with existing data at the Social Security Administration and at the Department of Homeland Security. So it isn't really adding any new information to use, as that information is going to be there. I have concerns about data as well, but I think in this case the benefit of the information outweighs the risk.

Now, if you don't care about verifying the info for someone you are getting to paint a wall or drive a forklift, I'm good with that. I just think it means you cannot argue much about illegal immigration when you can't be bothered to check if you are hiring citizens.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was using poetic license to characterize Trump's flowery speech.

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best,” he said in the same speech. “They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists."

"These aren't people. These are animals."

But of course: “I am the least racist person that you have ever met.”

So where is the brown people and and where are the white jobs. He says that the Illegal aliens from Mexico are not the best of the Mexican population. That they have lots of problems and bring those problems with them that they bring drugs and crime including rape. He doesn't claim they do that because of the color of their skin does he? Nor does he say that the jobs that they are seeking belong only to white people. As a matter of fact, he often speaks about Black and Hispanic employment as being negatively affected by illegals and brags about the fact the unemployment rate of both of those groups are at historic lows under his administration. Shouldn't he be chagrined that those white jobs you spoke of hadn't gone to white people if he is so set upon stopping illegals to come here based upon their ethnicity and nothing more?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
  • Haha
Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
There may be brown people there but there is no such thing as a white job.

I agree. However...

upload_2018-12-11_7-49-30.jpeg

A few of Donald's more radical supporters might not.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree. However...

View attachment 246818

A few of Donald's more radical supporters might not.

I never give much credence to radicals. They tend to spout slogans rather than think. They tend to make simplistic statements and demonize the opposition with what they consider catchy phrases like as saying the opposition wants to stop brown people from taking white jobs.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I never give much credence to radicals. They tend to spout slogans rather than think. They tend to make simplistic statements and demonize the opposition with what they consider catchy phrases like as saying the opposition wants to stop brown people from taking white jobs.

Agreed, and if all they ever did was talk, i'd suggest ignoring them entirely.

However, since radicals have a habit of occasionally acting radically and putting their words into deeds:

James Fields Guilty of First-Degree Murder in Death of Heather Heyer

It would seem that the prudent thing to do would be to take them seriously, but not literally...

...a strategy, coincidentally(?), recommended by the President's supporters for dealing with him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟827,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,423,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Federal and state investigators are scrutinizing the employment documents of immigrants without legal status who say they worked at President Trump’s golf club in New Jersey, according to their attorney.

Anibal Romero, a Newark attorney who represents five undocumented immigrants who say they worked at the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, said in an interview Saturday that he met with investigators from the New Jersey state attorney general’s office and two FBI agents in November, before the workers began to go public with their stories.

Romero said he turned over fake green cards and Social Security numbers that supervisors at the golf club allegedly gave one of his clients, Victorina Morales, a 44-year-old Guatemalan national. He also gave investigators the pay stubs of Sandra Diaz, a 46-year-old Costa Rican native who now has legal status but said she was undocumented when she worked at the club for three years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...1c95106d96a_story.html?utm_term=.59818361cc61

• Informative
Reactions: cow451
Upvote 0