Carterville Illinois
✟36,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I have been wondering where my anxiety comes from. I have heard from a pastor on a radio station while going for a drive one day, that anxiety/fear comes from sin, which somewhat hit home. I also heard from an online article that anxiety is caused by sin sometimes. When I worry if some things are sinful (music, tv, some fandoms etc), is this caused by sin? What exactly does my anxiety come from? Sin? Legalism? Or something else? Maybe even something I am not even aware of? I know anxiety is bad, even sinful, but why does it seem so hard to overcome at times? Fortunately, I have discovered a way to stop habitual sin—finding the root cause. But how do I find the root cause of my anxiety? What even is the root cause of my anxiety?

Another thing to mention— about what God likes. What I mean by this is, how do I find out what things God is pleased with and what He is not pleased with? Do I ask Him or does He do it on His own time? Last year when I got saved I don't remember really if I prayed to Him to show me things I needed to get rid of, (it's time to sprinkle some of my testimony on here!) but I do remember having a desire to stop liking a particular anime (it was Blue Exorcist), reading certain fanfiction (don't want this thread deleted, but I read inappropriate stuff), and looking at certain art on Deviantart (again, more inappropriate stuff), so was this God telling me which things He wanted me to stop doing? Does both prayer and His own time work? (Obviously yes, but is it normal that both are needed?)

Anyways, those who do like Blue Exorcist, I have no intention to accuse you of sin, I am just curious. Do you think liking this anime was a sin? For me, it was. I just want to hear your opinions. Why do you think watching this show isn't a sin for you personally? What is it that you like about this show? Also, what are your thoughts of me "getting away" from the show? (I don't want to get off topic here, so don't talk about this last paragraph too much, and don't focus on it a lot).

Well, that last bit was random. Also, do I sound less crazy than usual? I feel like my posts are more normal now. Am I also getting better? What do you guys think?

It feels good to post again. I love making these long informational posts like these. I'm glad I'm here, and that you're here, I hope this thread will be a joyful time to have conversations about this vital topic of Sanctification.

• Prayers
Reactions: WDSobieski

Melody Suttles

SingPeace
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2018
Atlanta
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have been wondering where my anxiety comes from. I have heard from a pastor on a radio station while going for a drive one day, that anxiety/fear comes from sin, which somewhat hit home. I also heard from an online article that anxiety is caused by sin sometimes. When I worry if some things are sinful (music, tv, some fandoms etc), is this caused by sin? What exactly does my anxiety come from? Sin? Legalism? Or something else? Maybe even something I am not even aware of? I know anxiety is bad, even sinful, but why does it seem so hard to overcome at times? Fortunately, I have discovered a way to stop habitual sin—finding the root cause. But how do I find the root cause of my anxiety? What even is the root cause of my anxiety?

Another thing to mention— about what God likes. What I mean by this is, how do I find out what things God is pleased with and what He is not pleased with? Do I ask Him or does He do it on His own time? Last year when I got saved I don't remember really if I prayed to Him to show me things I needed to get rid of, (it's time to sprinkle some of my testimony on here!) but I do remember having a desire to stop liking a particular anime (it was Blue Exorcist), reading certain fanfiction (don't want this thread deleted, but I read inappropriate stuff), and looking at certain art on Deviantart (again, more inappropriate stuff), so was this God telling me which things He wanted me to stop doing? Does both prayer and His own time work? (Obviously yes, but is it normal that both are needed?)

Anyways, those who do like Blue Exorcist, I have no intention to accuse you of sin, I am just curious. Do you think liking this anime was a sin? For me, it was. I just want to hear your opinions. Why do you think watching this show isn't a sin for you personally? What is it that you like about this show? Also, what are your thoughts of me "getting away" from the show? (I don't want to get off topic here, so don't talk about this last paragraph too much, and don't focus on it a lot).

Well, that last bit was random. Also, do I sound less crazy than usual? I feel like my posts are more normal now. Am I also getting better? What do you guys think?

It feels good to post again. I love making these long informational posts like these. I'm glad I'm here, and that you're here, I hope this thread will be a joyful time to have conversations about this vital topic of Sanctification.

The surest way to find out what does please God is first, by going to his Word to see what He says are specific things that matter most to Him. I listed some verses below.

Regarding specific sins, He definitely mentions fear and anxiety more than 350 times – God says we are commanded to not let fear live in us.

As for sins of today that aren’t mentioned in the Bible, they are still covered by what God says concerning our hearts. I listed those last.

Anxiety and fear

Philippians 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything [every anxiety] by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus [for He is pleased with you].

2 Timothy 1:7
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and a sound mind.

Joshua 1:9
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

Psalm 55:22
Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.

Psalms 19:14
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be pleasing in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for your well being and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Pleasing Him

Romans 12:2
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect [and pleasing to Him].

1 Peter 1:13
Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

Psalm 119:11
I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.

When we are unsure what is sin.

James 4:17
If anyone, then, knows to do good and doesn’t do it, it is [the same as] sin for them.

Hebrews 13:16
Do not neglect to do good [what you know in your own heart is right] and to share what you have [especially with those less fortunate], for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.

Galatians 6:9
And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.

Galatians 5:22-23
[Let this fruit be in you], but the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard T
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sin can cause anxiety. But anxiety is not always a sign that you sinned. Anxiety is in the New Testament is not treated like greed or lust or lying or murder. Rather, we are taught that we don't have to be anxious, and we are invited to rest in the truth God has for us. Any interpretation which shames a person for being anxious is a wrong one.

Upvote 0

WDSobieski

Remember you're still loved!
Mar 25, 2020
Hessen
✟26,485.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I gave up overthinking these stuff as from the last few months, such obsessive thinking from the dogmatic past and sheltered upbringing (even before my parents became Christians, dad atheist mom lukewarm Catholic before) is just too damaging to my mental wellbeing. Anime, as in all different media forms are just fiction and most of the elements are just for artistic license or just superficial, all the magic, mythology and whatever are used in these works just for some exoticness and superficial, but not luring people into the occult. In fact Christian anime fans are everywhere and a vast majority of them just enjoy them (they know it's just fiction) and it has the same effect like watching popular series such as Harry Potter (might be a hot button issue but most of the paranoia is overreaction), the DC or Marvel Universe and just some good old Disney shows. Magic is everywhere in fairy tales and they're where Disney films were inspired from.

Why the fuss and is that some hypocrisy or even cultural racism (anime being relatively recent and also from Asia) inside? Same as video games why they tend to receive lots of attention and magnified? Even in classical literature or even in books general there're no short of very questionable contents (sex, violence, discrimination...)? This again reminded me of an incident of a parent allowing their 14-year-old teen reading Fifty Shades of Gray since they thought like “Ah, books, reading is good for her and go for it! Better than those freaking slasher video games!”

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If you are rooted in the Word and rooted in God you won't be shaken and anxious.

Upvote 0