KirkPsalm

Mar 28, 2016
Texas
✟26,721.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
St. Mark writes as a matter of fact-ly. He goes of to write that other thought Jesus might has been Elijah.

Why is it at that time people were not surprised by this? When i read this it seems like their conjecture on who Jesus is is something like just another someone back from the dead.

Did people come back from the dead a lot in those days?

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
St. Mark writes as a matter of fact-ly. He goes of to write that other thought Jesus might has been Elijah.

Why is it at that time people were not surprised by this? When i read this it seems like their conjecture on who Jesus is is something like just another someone back from the dead.

Did people come back from the dead a lot in those days?
Could you reference the scripture verses you are talking about?

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Jews thought Scripture said that they would know it is the Messiah b/c Elijah would come again & preach it is the Messiah. That’s why Mark says the Jews were wondering if John the Baptist was Elijah.

I don’t know of a verse that says they thought Jesus was John the Baptist.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The Jews thought Scripture said that they would know it is the Messiah b/c Elijah would come again & preach it is the Messiah. That’s why Mark says the Jews were wondering if John the Baptist was Elijah.

I don’t know of a verse that says they thought Jesus was John the Baptist.

Matthew 16:14

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
St. Mark writes as a matter of fact-ly. He goes of to write that other thought Jesus might has been Elijah. Why is it at that time people were not surprised by this? When i read this it seems like their conjecture on who Jesus is is something like just another someone back from the dead.
Mar 8:27 Jesus went out with his disciples to the villages of Caesarea Philippi. And on the road he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that I am?”

28 They answered him, “John the Baptist; others, Elijah; still others, one of the prophets.”

It is obvious from several passages in the Gospels that the Jesus' contemporaries believed in reincarnation. The Lord never corrected their belief, rather He himself affirmed that John the Baptist was in fact Elijah:

Mat 17:12 “But I tell you: Elijah has already come, and they didn’t recognize him. On the contrary, they did whatever they pleased to him. In the same way the Son of Man is going to suffer at their hands.”13 Then the disciples understood that he had spoken to them about John the Baptist.

• Informative
Reactions: DragonFox91
Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting post Andrewn.

Jesus & John the Baptist were alive at the same time (tho John would've already been dead when they asked that - if we are to assume it's chronological). You can't really be a reincarnation of someone alive at the same as you. There's got to be another reason they were wondering if Jesus was John.

I'm not exactly sure what Jesus's contemporaries thought about reincarnation in regards to John vs Elijah.. I've always had it taught John had the 'spirit' of Elijah. He was metaphorically filling the prophecy.

Reactions: Andrewn
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,481.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting post Andrewn.

Jesus & John the Baptist were alive at the same time (tho John would've already been dead when they asked that - if we are to assume it's chronological). You can't really be a reincarnation of someone alive at the same as you. There's got to be another reason they were wondering if Jesus was John.

I'm not exactly sure what Jesus's contemporaries thought about reincarnation in regards to John vs Elijah.. I've always had it taught John had the 'spirit' of Elijah. He was metaphorically filling the prophecy.
That was my understanding as well since the Jews (at the time) did not believe in reincarnation. *

*(it appears some modern Jews accept reincarnation but that is off topic)

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The idea that Jesus could have been John the Baptist does not fit w/ reincarnation, considering that they were contemporaries. And the idea that John the Baptist had been risen from the dead does not make sense either for the same reason.

Mar 6:14 King Herod heard of Him, for His name was spread publicly. He said, “John the Baptist has been raised from the dead, and therefore these miracles are at work in him.” 15 But others said, “He is Elijah.” And yet others said, “He is the Prophet, or like one of the prophets.” 16 But when Herod heard of it, he said, “It is John, whom I beheaded. He has been raised from the dead!”

Mat 14:1 At that time Herod the tetrarch heard of the fame of Jesus, 2 and said to his servants, “This is John the Baptist; he has risen from the dead. And therefore mighty works are at work in him.”

Luk 9:7 Now Herod the tetrarch heard of all that was done by Him. And he was perplexed, because it was said by some that John had risen from the dead, 8 and by some that Elijah had appeared, and by others that one of the old prophets had risen. 9 But Herod said, “I have beheaded John. But who is this of whom I hear such things?” And he tried to see Him.

I'm not exactly sure what Jesus's contemporaries thought about reincarnation in regards to John vs Elijah..
Jesus himself confirmed this to be the case (Mat 17:12-13).

I've always had it taught John had the 'spirit' of Elijah. He was metaphorically filling the prophecy.
This is the usual interpretation. But consider the healing of the man blind from birth:

Joh 9:1 As Jesus passed by, He saw a man blind from birth. 2 His disciples asked Him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” 3 Jesus answered, “Neither this man nor his parents sinned. But it happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him.

He was born blind because he had sinned? How could he have sinned before being born? The interesting observation is that the Lord did not refute the possibility, He only refuted that it happened that way.

That was my understanding as well since the Jews (at the time) did not believe in reincarnation. *
Belief in reincarnation was common in the Greco-Roman world and it appears to have been known (if not universally believed) in Israel.

*(it appears some modern Jews accept reincarnation but that is off topic)
This is true. Reincarnation is called "gilgul" in Hebrew.

Gilgul - Wikipedia

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums