Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,295,375.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Well - read what you can get your hands on for the present. Your are going to have to introduce them to Orthodoxy very slowly and carefulyl - don't push them too hard.

Answer their questions carefully and be honest - If you don't know say so.

Upvote 0

Andrew21091

Jun 21, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
✟17,221.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Which the different nationality churches do services in English?

The Antiochian and OCA churches will have services in English. Many Greek churches still use Greek as with Serbs and some Russians.

What are some good books on the theology of Eastern Orthodox? Thanks

The Orthodox Church by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware is choice for inquirers to the Faith.

You can find it at some bookstores like Barns and Noble or Borders, if not. http://www.amazon.com/Orthodox-Church-New-Timothy-Ware/dp/0140146563

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Ok the closest one to me is Russian so thats going to be hard, I better learn Serbian or Russian fast lol. The college town where I plan on moving has a Greek and an Antiochan one which puts me better off I suppose lol.

I'm low on money for now but I will keep those book searches in mind, thanks.

Upvote 0

ikonographics

In patience I waited patiently on the Lord
Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

What are some good books on the theology of Eastern Orthodox? Thanks

I recommend you take a look at the site Orthodox Outlet for Dogmatic Enquiries, which has a many excellent articles/ books. I highly recommend the Dogmatics Lessons by Metropolitan John Zizioulas
You can find free downloadable Orthodoxy theology books by renowned theologians in Word/pdf fromat over here.
Enjoy!:)

Upvote 0

Barky

Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2008
Philadelphia, USA
✟24,242.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ok so say I was to join an Orthodox church, do they recognize Baptisms from outside their church? (Catholic or Protestant?) what would be needed to have communion there or say join the church?

The OCA and ROCOR Churches tend to baptize ones coming into the Orthodox faith from another Christian group. The Greek Church (at least the one I'm attending) only chrismates you through economia into full communion with the Church. The practice varies from church to church, bishop to bishop. You should ask the priest when you attend the Liturgy what their practice is.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Ok the closest one to me is Russian so thats going to be hard, I better learn Serbian or Russian fast lol. The college town where I plan on moving has a Greek and an Antiochan one which puts me better off I suppose lol.

I'm low on money for now but I will keep those book searches in mind, thanks.

Does the Russian parish have a website? Did you check it out? I'm only asking because a lot of "Russian" parishes are full of American converts and have most, if not all, of their services in English.

Welcome to TAW btw! :wave:

Mary

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrew21091

Jun 21, 2007
Grand Rapids, MI
✟17,221.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ok so say I was to join an Orthodox church, do they recognize Baptisms from outside their church? (Catholic or Protestant?) what would be needed to have communion there or say join the church?

I was born and baptized into the Roman Catholic Church and when I came to Orthodoxy, I only had to recieve chrismation. I go to an Antiochian parish.

Upvote 0

choirfiend

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Pennsylvania
✟54,941.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Orthodox Church doesn't recognize actions outside the Church, whether it be baptism, christening, eucharistic actions, etc.

However, it does accept the form of baptism performed in the Roman Catholic Church in many instances. Generally speaking, persons who come to Orthodoxy from the RCC are received through Chrismation (kinda like Christening/Confirmation), the sacramental grace thereof filling and completing whatever was missing from the substance of whatever form they underwent earlier.

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
I'll check the Russian Orthodox site or at least see if that local church has services in english.

Ok I see on the matter of baptism and what not, thank you for clearing that up. I'm sure I will have more questions haha

Upvote 0

cassc

Veteran- I am an Orthodox Christian
Jan 24, 2007
New England
✟16,923.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

It depends on the parish, all jurisdictions have some parishes that will be mostly or entirely in English, check the websites or call the church office if needed, don't assume it will or will not be in English based on the nationality

Generally many bishops will take into account Christian Baptisms done in the name of the Trinity and only require Chrismation but it's another thing you shouldn't assume as it will depend (some take a better safe than sorry approach and require a full baptism)

You would not be able to take Communion until you were formally received into the Orthodox Church however you could become a member...

Upvote 0

Julina

Veteran
Apr 14, 2008
New Joisey
Visit site
✟10,785.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It depends on the parish, all jurisdictions have some parishes that will be mostly or entirely in English, check the websites or call the church office if needed, don't assume it will or will not be in English based on the nationality

very true. one church i called didn't have services in English and gave me the number of another one that did.

Generally many bishops will take into account Christian Baptisms done in the name of the Trinity and only require Chrismation but it's another thing you shouldn't assume as it will depend (some take a better safe than sorry approach and require a full baptism)
is it only up to the Bishop? like what if i wanted to be more "safe than sorry"?
You would not be able to take Communion until you were formally received into the Orthodox Church however you could become a member...
?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I'll check the Russian Orthodox site or at least see if that local church has services in english.

Ok I see on the matter of baptism and what not, thank you for clearing that up. I'm sure I will have more questions haha

English is becoming more common in the Greek churches too. The ones that I've been to have alternated between English and Greek...and things like the Creed and the Lord's Prayer will first be said in Greek then followed by English, and sometimes other languages too. I admit that it can be strange and overwhelming at first...and maybe a little intimidating (it was for me), but that feeling quickly passes. The hardest step for me was to make that first visit. But then again, I'm pretty shy.

For now, learn what you can...and try to make a visit if possible. It will be worth it. The services are absolutely beautiful.

My recommendations on books:

Orthodox Spirituality by Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos (link)
The Mind of the Orthodox Church by the same,
and Life After Death also by the same. :)

and read the lives of Orthodox Saints!
Saint Seraphim of Sarov
Saint Silouan the Athonite are a couple of really good ones to start with.

In Christ,
Photini

Upvote 0

ikonographics

In patience I waited patiently on the Lord
Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
[/size]

One very good book is Orthodox dogmatic theology by Protopresbyter Michael Pomazansky

I'm afraid that I have to disagree with this. Pomazansky's Dogmatics is highly scholastic and trapped in Western dogmatic categories. It lacks the very foundations of Orthodox Theology. Nowhere does it make any mention of the distinction between uncreated and created nor does it make the distinction between God's essence and energy. The book doesn't even make a single mention of the word "energy"! Any "Dogmatics" that lacks these is unfortunately not Orthodox Dogmatics. I highly recommend that you read the Dogmatics Lessons by Metropolitan John Zizioulas of Pergamus from when he was professor at the Theology School in Thessaloniki. There you will se the difference between Patristic Orthodox Theology and Weternized Scholastic "Orthodox Theology". Pomamzansky's book is also available free in Word format on the other site that I mentioned in post #27 that has downloadable books be renowned Orthodox theologians, so you can compare if you wish.

Upvote 0

27B6

Veteran
Oct 14, 2006
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I'm afraid that I have to disagree with this. Pomazansky's Dogmatics is highly scholastic and trapped in Western dogmatic categories. It lacks the very foundations of Orthodox Theology. Nowhere does it make any mention of the distinction between uncreated and created nor does it make the distinction between God's essence and energy. The book doesn't even make a single mention of the word "energy"!

Julia, Perhaps you have a different copy? Look in the index under terms like Energy, Divine (Uncreated Energy) (p.417 in my copy).

Most of his discussions on these topics are in footnotes, usually making reference to Lossky or Palamas. See for example p.166 where he discusses the Catholic view of Grace as created vs. the Orthodox view of Grace as the Uncreated Energy of God.

So your statements above are false on the face of it and a bit unfair to the author. He does indeed make numerous mentions of the Created/Uncreated and Essence/Energies distinctions.

That being said, I think it is true that he gives these topics a very light treatment. The emphasis of his work is on dogmatics, and so it is not surprising that his primary interest is less on St. Gregory Palamas and more in discussing the dogmas of the Church as put forth by the seven Ecumenical Councils.

Therefore, with this narrower theological focus, I would not recommend his work as a point of entry for those wanting to learn about the fullness of Orthodox theology, particularly Orthodox spirituality. If Pomazansky's were the only Orthodox theological work read by an inquirer, they could easily come away with the impression that there isn't much difference in emphasis, style, or approach between Orthodox and Catholic theology, and that would be incorrect.

With love in Christ.

Upvote 0

angrylittlefisherman

the worst of sinners
Jun 22, 2008
occidental ca
✟15,926.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Julia, forgive me, I am a catechumen and I have found Pomozansky's lay out incredibly useful. When i had questions regarding sacraments (or fill in the blank) it usually had several pages on the topic. I find it a very helpful book when I need to understand or learn a little about the topic. However I will say that I usually follow up my reading in this book with questions for my priest.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.