USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We as Christians are called to be careful with out time and answering as thats what 'Dont throw pearls before swine' means.

Unfortunately, Ive had a personal message exchange with this OP who blatantly admitted that he has no serious interest in The Christian Faith and is on C.F. for entertainment purposes only. Thus, he is not to be considered a serious Inquirer. How you handle his inquiries is up to you , given this information im sharing.

Why don't we thrown pearls to the swine? Do you remember? It's because they would turn on you and attack. You seem to be misinformed on what Jesus meant by "swine." It's not people who are unworthy of your time, but it's people who are hostile to the Gospel. In Jesus time, you could be killed because of your faith, and in some parts of the world, that's still true. But Hestha is not going to hunt us down and stone us to death.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Studying leads to drifting away from God, which leads to becoming anti-Christian? How were you anti-Christian? Can you tell more about that?
No, I said that not being involved with a church led to a drifting away from God. Furthermore, I had a crush on someone of my own sex, which put me at odds with God. I did not understand Romans 4:14

14 If God’s promise is only for those who obey the law, then faith is not necessary and the promise is pointless. 15 For the law always brings punishment on those who try to obey it. (The only way to avoid breaking the law is to have no law to break!)

It was this self condemnation that Paul speaks of here that caused me to become so angry with God and eventually become anti-Christian. I was anti-Christian to the point that I believed Jesus was made up. I even bought a cellphone number containing the sequence '666 666'. I remember a friend who was also anti-Christian, who actually saved me from going down that path. He said "Oh he did come to earth". I cannot forget the stress upon his face when he said it, and when God redeemed me he was one of the first people I thanked.

Why did your friends and colleagues spat at it? How did they spat at it? Are they Christians? Do they profess any religious belief?
Well I told my colleague that I had become Christian out of the blue and I had trouble concentrating at work because all I could think about was my new relationship to God. He told me to call a psychiatrist and they said I was suffering from anxiety and they gave me some medication. When I told him that they were supportive of my faith he was surprised and it was apparent that he thought Christianity was a mental disorder. I have no idea what he thought it meant to be Christian, but it was obviously not as real to him as it was to me!

Later that day I went to my friends' place, they are new age/spiritualist in faith, all I had was joy and peace, and they seemed to be angry about it. They said "you're welcome here any time", but in a sarcastic manner, as though they were jealous or something. I know they hate religion.

One time I mentioned in a job interview that I spend some of my spare time on Christian forums. The interviewer did not respond well and I did not get the job. So there is a lot of hate out there, certainly Jesus was right "if they hate you, keep in mind they hated me first".

These questions come from my head. Yes, I do have a highly religious version of Christianity, because Christianity is supposed to be religious. So, I ask these religious questions. :p No, I have never witnessed a miracle. If I did, I may not have paid close attention or have forgotten it by now. :)
I disagree. I do not believe Christianity was meant to be religious, but it became religious when corrupt leaders discovered how to make an industry of it. Jesus was against religion and all for free thought. Everywhere He went and every person He spoke to, He made them think. Without thinking you cannot develop faith. If you are eating what is spoon fed you accrue knowledge that is hollow with no life. So I say to you, pray to God, ask Him to speak to you through the bible, because His spirit spoke to the people who wrote it and it speaks to His people when they read it.

Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Furthermore, I had a crush on someone of my own sex, which put me at odds with God.

According to this page, it seems that the Bible's condemnation on homosexuality is very weak to nonexistent. One of the things it concludes is that the story of Sodom and how and why it was destroyed. It was destroyed, not because God hated homosexuals. It was destroyed, because the people were materialistic, greedy, and incharitable; therefore, the people today who discriminate against LGBT people are actually the ones who are committing the sin of Sodom! They are the wicked Sodomites! So your having a crush with someone of your own sex is nothing to be ashamed of and is perfectly normal. :)

One time I mentioned in a job interview that I spend some of my spare time on Christian forums. The interviewer did not respond well and I did not get the job. So there is a lot of hate out there, certainly Jesus was right "if they hate you, keep in mind they hated me first".

I think the interviewer is concerned about how well you manage your time. You may want to say about your extracurricular activities, if you are a student, or you may want to say how you contribute your spare to the community in some way (i.e. volunteering at the local library or a research facility).

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Who or what introduced you to Christianity? If no one or thing introduced you, then what aspect of Christianity attracted you to the Church and God?
Freedom from the Law./Orginally a girl that I liked.

What made you conclude that you wanted to make a lifetime commitment to Christianity?
God or rather my experiences with him did.

Did you explore other religions at all?
yes

Why did you choose your particular denomination?
I've gone through several. As I grow my needs change. when I started out I need strict rules and guidelines, as I grew spiritually i found that these things were not needed for a biblical relationship.

Why did you not choose other denominations?
We are commanded to worship God with all of our Strength, Mind, Heart, Spirit. You will find not all denominations will allow you to do this. as we are all different our faiths and methods of worship will be different. Even so one thing must remain the same. A Jesus Christ centered worship/church.

Why did you believe that there was only one god?
Because the one I am answerable to said so.

Wouldn't it be safer to believe that there were many gods, each god controlling one aspect of nature (the sun god, the sea god, the earth goddess, the moon goddess, the fertility goddess, etc)?
Not if the one God says it is more 'dangerous' to worship that way.

When you decided that you wanted to become a Christian, did you tell your relatives about your decision and commitment?
At first no.

How did they respond?
"Don't judge us. Keep your religion to yourself"
My mom was happy.

If your parents are non-Christian, then do you share your faith with your parents or allow them to keep their own faith and way of life?
let them know, share you faith when asked. Believe or understand that even if they are not from a christian back ground they are aware as they want to be. Let them ask question, and follow up with their concerns but when they end it let it come to an end.

Do you invite your relatives and best buddies to church with you?
yes

And why do you do together in church?
???

Are your relatives and friends interested in the Christian church as much as you are?
Some are others not so much.

Because of you, are they converted to Christianity as well?
No one in my family is converted to christianity because of me.

Do Christians have to attend church every Sunday?
The short answer is no. The longer answer is we are to treat each day as if we are in church. Sunday is just the day we all come together to 'recharge' with God in each others company.

Can Christians start a small church group within their own homes where they and their families can worship and pray together?
Yes! Most churches start this way, but also know it is easy to become corrupt in your beliefs like this as well. There needs to be some authority or accountablity structure. You watching football with your dad on sunday and praying for a touchdown together is not church!

What community service or humanitarian projects do you do?
I answer questions on line.

Do you consider yourself Jewish Christian or non-Jewish Christian?
Just a Christian as i do not have jewish ancestery.

Do you tithe (that is, paying 10% of your income) to your church? If you cannot afford to pay 10% of your income in money, then do you offer 10% of your harvest or 10% of your merchandise to the church?
I do not tithe a percentage. i give whatever I can. some weeks it is nothing other it is more that the standard 10%. The weeks I give no money i try and double up on my time.. If you live by the philosphy: See a need and then do you best to fill it. you will not fall short in your efforts to give to the church.

How do worships go?
It depends on the church

Do everybody sit in benches, called pews, and do the same thing at the same time?
In older more traditional churches yes but in other no. it all depends on what you like and what church you goto.

Do clergymen and -women live in your church, or do they have their own homes?
I think the majority have their own homes.

How old and what education level does one need in order to become a clergyman or -woman?
It depends on the task or role you wish to play in the church and the denomination it is apart of.

Have you ever thought of becoming a clergyman
yes

or -woman or a monk or a nun?
no

How old were you when you were baptized in a church?
21 maybe 22

Have you ever served as an altar server?
yes

Would a Confirmation for a Christian be comparable to a Bar/Bat Mitzvah for Jew?
for those who confirm, yes.

How big is your church? How many members does it have?
last church less than 500 new one between 500 and 700 (between two services)

How tall is the church?
don't know

Does it have a parking lot to accommodate the modern luxury of cars?
yes

What rooms are there in your church, and who is in charge of what room? (For example, a sacristan would be in charge of a sacristy.)
The church building is just a building or meeting place for the express purpose of worship. the Church itself are the people. So the building manger cares for and maintains the building, and the various pastors maintains and cares for the church flock.

How do you engage in proselytism, or do you rely on professional missionaries/evangelists to proselytize?
The church does, but i do my own evangelism.

Have you ever led people to Jesus just by being in the same room with a non-Christian?
no

How many non-Christians have you successfully converted?
Conversion is a process. Christ likened it to the tillers of the field, the broad casters of the seed/good news and the harvesters (who convert) all have a role in this process even though not all are apart of the harvest. That said i do not believe i have witnessed any of those who have given themselves to God.

Have you ever become jealous when one of your Christian friends has made more converts than you have?

:) no. i am happy in my role.

Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
According to this page, it seems that the Bible's condemnation on homosexuality is very weak to nonexistent. One of the things it concludes is that the story of Sodom and how and why it was destroyed. It was destroyed, not because God hated homosexuals. It was destroyed, because the people were materialistic, greedy, and incharitable; therefore, the people today who discriminate against LGBT people are actually the ones who are committing the sin of Sodom! They are the wicked Sodomites! So your having a crush with someone of your own sex is nothing to be ashamed of and is perfectly normal. :)
Thanks Hestha, it was more that Jesus said "If you look with lust then you commit adultery". But I was much less mature back then, I did not understand that sin happens and Jesus forgives, and I didn't understand the chemistry of lust and that light entering the eyes in various ways can be sexually stimulating, and that it is nature and sometimes nature expresses itself that way. I think I read the bible a bit differently these days. I think sex is only another form of materialism, that can become an obsession which impairs our spiritual lives. I'm all better now anyway, just so you know :wave:
I think the interviewer is concerned about how well you manage your time. You may want to say about your extracurricular activities, if you are a student, or you may want to say how you contribute your spare to the community in some way (i.e. volunteering at the local library or a research facility).
No, you have no right to say that, you weren't there. I saw the expression on his face and witnessed his reaction to my confession. I just know better now and try to tread lightly on the topic. Many people have grudges. You are giving me good advice though, thanks for that :)

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
1. I was raised in a Christian environment, as such I've always believed.

2. Faith has been an ongoing, life-long journey. I had a profound experience, what I describe as an encounter, at the age of sixteen. The best way I've been able to describe it is a profound encounter with the Risen Jesus, that experience was coupled with me praying for a life of faith that I might surrender myself to Jesus. That was, in a sense, a major turning point in my faith, from simply sharing in my family's religion to an active participation in religious life.

With that said, I see it less as a single commitment having been made once; rather I see being a Christian as a life-long commitment made throughout the course of the day, all day and every day. Being a Christian is a lifetime of choices and commitments.

3. I don't know that I chose Lutheranism, it's more like that it snagged me without me really trying to get there. It began by me questioning a number of things I had been raised to believe, which led to investigating the history of the Christian faith, which led me to better appreciate traditional Christian teachings concerning the Sacraments.

This, followed up by the fact that my entire life I'd been bothered by the notion that salvation had to be my choice, and knowing myself and just how faithless I acted and unsure of how to ascertain how much I really believed, and how to know if I could know if I meant it when I "accepted Jesus"--all of that resulted in much despair. Because of that, when I read some of Martin Luther's personal struggles, which led ultimately to Protestant Reformation and the affirmation that one is justified as an act of God's freely given grace, through faith He Himself gives, and that it's not about my choices, my thinking, believing the right things, or whatnot--it simply seemed liberating to realize that God was not a condescending Judge waiting to smite me, but a loving and doting Father who freely and willfully comes down to where we are to save us in spite of ourselves. That this is what St. Paul is getting at when he speaks of the free gift. Suddenly, much of the New Testament came alive in ways I had never imagined before, a living faith right there in the pages of Scripture.

4. In simplest terms, because Jesus, following the teachings of the Hebrew Prophets, teaches us that there is only one God. The same God who called Abraham out from Ur, that made Himself known to Moses as the I AM, and who spoke saying, "I am God, there is no other." Further, Jesus repeats the Shema as foundational to the faith of His followers: "Hear O Israel, the Lord your God, the Lord is one." (Shema Yisrael YHVH (Adonai) Eloheinu YHVH (Adonai) echad)

5. As I said, I grew up in the faith. However, not being an Evangelical anymore does place me the odd one out on both sides of my family. I don't usually have many theological discussions with my family as it stands, if only to maintain the peace.

6. N/A

7. If my friends wanted to come share in the liturgy, I'd certainly bring them.

8. We are encouraged to go regularly, but there is no law that says how often we must gather. I don't go nearly as often as I'd like, generally because I find myself sleeping in too often. That said, the gathered community doing corporate worship (liturgy) is a communal activity that involves the hearing of the Word and the receiving of the Eucharist. Word and Sacrament makes church church. There's nothing wrong with small home get togethers to read Scripture, pray, and share together. But this isn't really the same thing as the gathered worship we partake in that is centered around the Word and Sacrament. Home Bible studies are no substitute for the full course meal we receive as gathered community.

9. I'm not currently involved to the degree I would like. I'm presently unemployed and without transportation, but I would like to connect with people in my area to volunteer at soup kitchens or other community aid.

10. I'm a non-Jewish Christian. I'm a Gentile, never having gone through bris.

11. When I have money I give what I can. Our pastor and other workers in the church need to be able to feed their family, and our church building needs the utilities paid for after all.

12. We follow the liturgy, which follows the basic order that all Christian liturgies have used since the beginning, many of our customs having themselves been borrowed from Jewish worship customs of the first century--Scripture readings, the saying of prayers, call-and-response, etc.

13. Not sure. But I'd imagine many live in parsonages owned by the church, while others have their own residence. Depending on circumstance.

14. One should go through seminary to be trained in order to fully live out their calling as ministers of Word and Sacrament for the service of the community. Not because it's a commandment, but out of responsibility and good order.

15. I've never felt called to the pastoral ministry. There have been times that the monastic life has seemed quite attractive, but thus far I haven't felt an especial calling to the monastic life.

16. Seventeen.

17. Nope.

18. Confirmation, in the Western Church, is equivelant to what the Eastern Church calls Chrismation, and it is part of the Baptismal Rite. Chrismation is the anointing or sealing with oil performed on the baptized, indicating that they have received the Holy Spirit. In the West, this act ended up being separated from the Baptismal Rite because Western practice made it manditory that bishops alone be able to perform this, while in the East any priest may Chrism. Lutherans have retained Confirmation, not as a Sacrament, but as a "churchly rite", it's purpose isn't to seal with the Spirit (which we believe happens in Baptism) but is rather an opportunity for the baptized to affirm, publically, their faith in Jesus Christ and acknowledge their desire actively participate in the life of the Christian community.

19. We have a small-medium sized church. I'd say maybe 50 or so people per service, and there are two services on Sunday. I have no idea the total number of members, I assume over 100, but I honestly don't know. There are some office rooms and rooms used for mid-week gatherings depending on the time of the year and what not.

20. There's no systematic approach. Missionary activity is generally for the purpose of humanitarian aid. Gospel-preaching isn't really about proselytizing, but simply announcing God's work in the world and what He has done in and through Christ Jesus for the world. How we go about doing that is really a matter of whatever an individual's circumstances may be. Ultimately, it's really about not shutting the doors on anyone, rather than trying to argue someone and trying to drag them in (which is, ultimately, impossible anyway).

21. I've known one or two people in my life who told me that even though I never preached to or at them, played a role in them becoming Christians.

22. I've never converted anyone. It's impossible for a Christian to convert a non-Christian. Conversion is a supernatural work of God acting through His Word and Sacraments. The Church's job isn't to convert, but to preach and to administer the Sacraments.

23. LOL, no.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,827.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have some personal questions for you:

Who or what introduced you to Christianity? If no one or thing introduced you, then what aspect of Christianity attracted you to the Church and God?
I was born into a Christian family so that was my introduction to it, from ages 4-12 I went to a Christian school that's run by my church. I would say I really didn't "make my faith my own" until I reached middle school and started looking at my faith as independent of my parents.

What made you conclude that you wanted to make a lifetime commitment to Christianity? Did you explore other religions at all?

Technically I first made the decision when I was four, I was riding in the car one night looking out the window and asked my mom if I can be a Christian. I don't recall my actual thought process but that's when it first happened. When I was 12, at a junior high camp, I really considered my decision deeply and wanted to make it again, though "more informed". Since I grew up in a Christian home, was surrounded by Christian friends, was plugged into a great youth group, etc etc, there really wasn't a time when I explored other religions.

Why did you choose your particular denomination? Why did you not choose other denominations?

I didn't necessarily choose mine, as my family had been a part of the CMA church for well over twenty years by the time I was born in 1987. I know my mom chose it because she was disgusted with the Southern Baptist Church she was raised in and all of the legalism, my dad chose it because he couldn't stand the AOG church his mom forced him to go to as a kid because of the hypocrisy.

Why did you believe that there was only one god? Wouldn't it be safer to believe that there were many gods, each god controlling one aspect of nature (the sun god, the sea god, the earth goddess, the moon goddess, the fertility goddess, etc)?

That was never something that was taught, going to a Christian school. From then on the best way to explain it is that I essentially viewed the different forms of polytheism as "primitive".

When you decided that you wanted to become a Christian, did you tell your relatives about your decision and commitment? How did they respond?

Yeah, my mom and dad were the ones that prayed with me.

If your parents are non-Christian, then do you share your faith with your parents or allow them to keep their own faith and way of life?

N/A

Do you invite your relatives and best buddies to church with you? And why do you do together in church? Are your relatives and friends interested in the Christian church as much as you are? Because of you, are they converted to Christianity as well?

Most of my relatives already go to church, albeit different churches. I haven't invited a friend to go to church in a long time either because they already go somewhere or because they're not interested or in a precarious place in their faith at the moment and disillusioned with church.

Do Christians have to attend church every Sunday? Can Christians start a small church group within their own homes where they and their families can worship and pray together?

Some say yes, some say no. I'm of the opinion that the purpose of church isn't just to instill good teaching, but it's mean to keep Christians theologically accountable. A lot of non-denominational and fundamentalist Christians will argue that just because they're not a part of a local church community doesn't mean they're not a part of the church—which I say isn't the point.

I'm saying this from personal experience. My mother-in-law lives a completely isolated Christian existence and as a result has adopted a plethora of heretical beliefs, in addition she also carries an arrogant disposition towards church goers as though they were inferior for allowing someone to teach them. For a while I followed in her footsteps, and eventually saw how completely and utterly unhealthy this lifestyle was.

What community service or humanitarian projects do you do?

I've had the opportunity to work with at a couple of homeless shelters and food banks down in the Bay Area, and I've also been able to go to Mexico to build houses and Uganda to work with some orphan homes. Going to Uganda was profound for me, and I really want to do everything I can to stay involved with that ministry (Uganda Orphans Fund) but it's hard at this stage in my life. The best I can do at this point is advocate awareness and endorse projects like Charity:Water and Uganda Orphans Fund so others can get involved if they want to.

Do you consider yourself Jewish Christian or non-Jewish Christian?

If you're asking about my position towards Israel, I support them just as much as any other nation in the Near East but I don't favor them like many Evangelical's do. If you're asking about my ethnicity or if I practice "Messianic Judaism", no I'm not Jewish.

Do you tithe (that is, paying 10% of your income) to your church? If you cannot afford to pay 10% of your income in money, then do you offer 10% of your harvest or 10% of your merchandise to the church?

My wife and I give as much as we can afford to, but often times we consider our donations to charity our tithe. Part of it's because we feel like the work they do is more worthwhile, and part of it's because we're not in complete agreement with our churches use of funds. (I guess those reasons are more or less the same)

How do worships go? Do everybody sit in benches, called pews, and do the same thing at the same time? Or do everybody stand up and do different things while worshiping?

Nowadays people seem to do different things but overall people will stand and sing along with the worship team, some raise their hands, some sit in the pews and pray—some of the more "flamboyant" people wave flags around or stuff like that.

Do clergymen and -women live in your church, or do they have their own homes?

They all have their own homes, though there is a parsonage on the property but I think it's used to compensate interns (i.e. Jr. High youth leaders get free lodging in the parsonage instead of monetary compensation).

How old and what education level does one need in order to become a clergyman or -woman?

My old youth pastor just took over as the lead pastor and he hit the 40 mark last year I think, so I'm not so sure there's an age requirement. I imagine that the board requires a pastor to have their Masters of Divinity degree at least, in the 40+ years the church has been around none of the pastors have had less. I can't say for sure though...

Have you ever thought of becoming a clergyman or -woman or a monk or a nun?

For a long time I was considering going to Fuller Theological Seminary with the hopes of entering into some form of ministry. Never considered a monastic role though since that's not a very common thing in Protestantism.

How old were you when you were baptized in a church?

Have you ever served as an altar server?

N/A.

Would a Confirmation for a Christian be comparable to a Bar/Bat Mitzvah for Jew?

I'm not very educated on the Jewish faith and the significances of some rituals. A confirmation/chrismation, as I understand it, is an acceptance into the church as having accomplished certain things in coming to faith in Christ, to put it roughly.

How big is your church? How many members does it have? How tall is the church? Does it have a parking lot to accommodate the modern luxury of cars? What rooms are there in your church, and who is in charge of what room? (For example, a sacristan would be in charge of a sacristy.)

How big is it in terms of physical size or the size of the congregation? The congregation, last I heard, had about 600 people that attended regularly. It's pretty big, but it's shrunk considerably over the last 10 years or so, in fact about 4-5 years ago a large number of people left the church over some stuff.

In terms of physical size it's pretty huge, the church has about 37 acres of land south of town which has about 18 buildings on it including a giant dome as the main sanctuary. There's also a preschool and K-8 school. All kinds of buildings from a commercial kitchen to a gymnasium and everything between—but everything except for 1-2 buildings is 25-40 years old.

How do you engage in proselytism, or do you rely on professional missionaries/evangelists to proselytize?

There's a number of ways our church engages in proselytizing. Since we're a Christian & Missionary Alliance church there's a pretty strong emphasis on missions and evangelism (though admittedly less so in recent years). Our local congregation has several long-term missionaries all over the world. We also engage regularly at the local level with the homeless shelter and related organizations. Our church also participates with all the other churches to spend one Sunday out of the year serving the city with maintenance and beautification projects.

Have you ever led people to Jesus just by being in the same room with a non-Christian?

I don't think so. I mean, I try to be available for people and to listen to their stories and their joy and their pain but I'm not certain what kind of an impact I'm actually having. I've had one friend tell me I had a role in his becoming a Christian, but I'm not sure how much I really had an effect.

How many non-Christians have you successfully converted?

I don't know, I'm not really sure to be honest. I have a few friends who I've invited to youth groups and church services and such, and they subsequently became Christians in the months and years that followed but I'm really not sure if I had any sort of influence in that.

Have you ever become jealous when one of your Christian friends has made more converts than you have?

I don't think any of us have ever kept a tally...

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0