Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I have some personal questions for you:

1. Who or what introduced you to Christianity? If no one or thing introduced you, then what aspect of Christianity attracted you to the Church and God?
  2. What made you conclude that you wanted to make a lifetime commitment to Christianity? Did you explore other religions at all?
  3. Why did you choose your particular denomination? Why did you not choose other denominations?
  4. Why did you believe that there was only one god? Wouldn't it be safer to believe that there were many gods, each god controlling one aspect of nature (the sun god, the sea god, the earth goddess, the moon goddess, the fertility goddess, etc)?
  5. When you decided that you wanted to become a Christian, did you tell your relatives about your decision and commitment? How did they respond?
  6. If your parents are non-Christian, then do you share your faith with your parents or allow them to keep their own faith and way of life?
  7. Do you invite your relatives and best buddies to church with you? And why do you do together in church? Are your relatives and friends interested in the Christian church as much as you are? Because of you, are they converted to Christianity as well?
  8. Do Christians have to attend church every Sunday? Can Christians start a small church group within their own homes where they and their families can worship and pray together?
  9. What community service or humanitarian projects do you do?
  10. Do you consider yourself Jewish Christian or non-Jewish Christian?
  11. Do you tithe (that is, paying 10% of your income) to your church? If you cannot afford to pay 10% of your income in money, then do you offer 10% of your harvest or 10% of your merchandise to the church?
  12. How do worships go? Do everybody sit in benches, called pews, and do the same thing at the same time? Or do everybody stand up and do different things while worshiping?
  13. Do clergymen and -women live in your church, or do they have their own homes?
  14. How old and what education level does one need in order to become a clergyman or -woman?
  15. Have you ever thought of becoming a clergyman or -woman or a monk or a nun?
  16. How old were you when you were baptized in a church?
  17. Have you ever served as an altar server?
  18. Would a Confirmation for a Christian be comparable to a Bar/Bat Mitzvah for Jew?
  19. How big is your church? How many members does it have? How tall is the church? Does it have a parking lot to accommodate the modern luxury of cars? What rooms are there in your church, and who is in charge of what room? (For example, a sacristan would be in charge of a sacristy.)
  20. How do you engage in proselytism, or do you rely on professional missionaries/evangelists to proselytize?
  21. Have you ever led people to Jesus just by being in the same room with a non-Christian?
  22. How many non-Christians have you successfully converted?
  23. Have you ever become jealous when one of your Christian friends has made more converts than you have?

golgotha61

World Christian in Progress
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2011
Ohio
✟79,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who or what introduced you to Christianity? If no one or thing introduced you, then what aspect of Christianity attracted you to the Church and God?
My grandparents and parents were and are believers. I learned the basics of Christianity from them. I never committed my life to Christ until I was a teen in the midst of personal mayhem. The commitment itself was made at the leading of a friend of mine who was active in evangelism and is at this time a preacher in a small town church.

What made you conclude that you wanted to make a lifetime commitment to Christianity? Did you explore other religions at all?
I didn't decide on a lifetime commitment until I was older and had moved beyond the selfishness of getting from God what I wanted from Him. My first inclination was to read the Bible and attend church, when I felt like it, but when I entered college, this all vaporized. It took another twenty years before I finally gave in totally to God's desire for my life. In those twenty years, I had made a mess of myself and others.

I didn't care much for the mystical religions but I did get hooked up with and almost hooked by Jehovah's Witness. Education of the JW religion and prayer from friends and relatives allowed God to free me from that religion's deception.

Why did you choose your particular denomination? Why did you not choose other denominations?
The denomination I belong to is the Christian and Missionary Alliance. It agrees with me theologically. I am also mission minded, so this denomination seems to fit me well.

Why did you believe that there was only one god?
The teaching of the Bible is the purpose for a monotheistic belief. The Bible is the authority for all theology.

Wouldn't it be safer to believe that there were many gods, each god controlling one aspect of nature (the sun god, the sea god, the earth goddess, the moon goddess, the fertility goddess, etc)?
This is the religion of Baal in the Old Testament and the history of scripture has pretty well defined these gods as non-existent.

When you decided that you wanted to become a Christian, did you tell your relatives about your decision and commitment? How did they respond?
Yes and they were very happy.

If your parents are non-Christian, then do you share your faith with your parents or allow them to keep their own faith and way of life?
My parents are Christian but if they were not, there is no way I could deprive them of whatever they choose or don't choose to believe.

Do you invite your relatives and best buddies to church with you?
Yes, from time to time I do.

And why do you do together in church?
Don't know what you asking here.

Are your relatives and friends interested in the Christian church as much as you are?
Yes, some of them. However, some of my kids are not Christian and a good many of my acquaintances are not interested in church. Most of my fiends are church attenders.

Because of you, are they converted to Christianity as well?
No one that I know of is a Christian because of me. I have introduced many to Christ, the person, but the Holy Spirit is responsible for the changing of minds and hearts.

Do Christians have to attend church every Sunday?
There is an encouragement in Heb. 10:25 to not forsake the assembly of the saints. It would seem odd to not attend church and worship the one who saved us from sin. One of the chief purposes of attending church is to worship God. If one does not like attending church, heaven won't be much to look forward to.

Can Christians start a small church group within their own homes where they and their families can worship and pray together?
Absolutely, there is a movement right now that uses small groups in the place of and in conjunction with the church organization.

What community service or humanitarian projects do you do?
I participate in Compassion International and missions as a whole. My son is a missionary and his support consumes much of our resources.

Do you consider yourself Jewish Christian or non-Jewish Christian?
This is an odd question. I am follower of Christ and if I am compared to the Jew to be defined, then I am a gentile.

Do you tithe (that is, paying 10% of your income) to your church? If you cannot afford to pay 10% of your income in money, then do you offer 10% of your harvest or 10% of your merchandise to the church?
None of the above.

How do worships go?
Very well.

Do everybody sit in benches, called pews, and do the same thing at the same time? Or do everybody stand up and do different things while worshiping?
All stand during the singing worship and some clap hands, some raise hands, it just depends on the individual.

Do clergymen and -women live in your church, or do they have their own homes?
We have no parsonages. The clergy own their own homes.

How old and what education level does one need in order to become a clergyman or -woman?
For some churches, there is no education needed, especially if the church is non-denominational. Most main line churches require degrees of various sorts and some require seminary in order to be ordained.

Have you ever thought of becoming a clergyman or -woman or a monk or a nun?
Yeah, I thought about studying for the pastorate at one time.

How old were you when you were baptized in a church?

How do you engage in proselytism, or do you rely on professional missionaries/evangelists to proselytize?
Evangelizing is not proselytizing. I don't try and make people members of my particular church.

Have you ever led people to Jesus just by being in the same room with a non-Christian?
No, I don't know as this is even possible. One must hear of the Savior in order to believe in Him. It would seem contradictory to the gospel message to expect salvation sans the message.

How many non-Christians have you successfully converted?
None. I don't convert. I just inform. The Holy Spirit converts, changes, reforms the heart.

Have you ever become jealous when one of your Christian friends has made more converts than you have?
No.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Who or what introduced you to Christianity? If no one or thing introduced you, then what aspect of Christianity attracted you to the Church and God?
I was raised Christian, so that would be my parents.
What made you conclude that you wanted to make a lifetime commitment to Christianity? Did you explore other religions at all?
God spoke to me and brought me to the point of taking this religion I identified with seriously. If it's real, it needs to be taken seriously and followed, and I believed that it was indeed real.
Why did you choose your particular denomination? Why did you not choose other denominations?
Dad was a Catholic who dropped out of seminary and became Protestant because he saw the differences between what the Bible teaches and what the Catholic Church had taught him. He then met and married my mom, who came from a conservative Presbyterian church. They've been Bible first, denomination second Christians who have always gone to church together, and the churches I was raised in were both non-denominational churches. These principles formed my (non)denominational beliefs.
Why did you believe that there was only one god? Wouldn't it be safer to believe that there were many gods, each god controlling one aspect of nature (the sun god, the sea god, the earth goddess, the moon goddess, the fertility goddess, etc)?
There have been better philisophical/religious treatises written on this than what I'm going to tell you, but nature is so vast yet it works together so well. Imagine if the scientific progress we have made in the past two centuries took place in a pagan context instead of a Christian one - we'd have quite the expanding pantheon, wouldn't we? And that would require the stories to get rewritten, wouldn't it? We don't just have "earth" anymore, we have atoms and subatomic particles. Our understanding of how nature interacts with itself has evolved and changed. You can't make doctrine, which is supposed to be preserved and lasting, based on observations that can so quickly change.
Besides, while this refers to specific gods and goddesses rather than the concept of polytheism itself, I will say it anyway: With gods and goddesses like them, who needs the devil. I would not want to live next to mortals who behaved like they do in myth.
When you decided that you wanted to become a Christian, did you tell your relatives about your decision and commitment? How did they respond?
I did, and they were supportive.
If your parents are non-Christian, then do you share your faith with your parents or allow them to keep their own faith and way of life?
N/A
Do you invite your relatives and best buddies to church with you? And why do you do together in church? Are your relatives and friends interested in the Christian church as much as you are? Because of you, are they converted to Christianity as well?
My best friends go to either my church or other churches, and my relatives mostly go to church - those that don't know that we are basically a Christian family, so they know where to look should they become interested again. As far as interest goes, there's a full gamut of interest.
Do Christians have to attend church every Sunday? Can Christians start a small church group within their own homes where they and their families can worship and pray together?
They can do that, and that would technically be church as well. But really, asking if a Christian has to go to church to be a Christian is like asking if someone needs to eat and drink to be a human. We need church to sustain and grow us, and while God has preserved those in persecuted countries who are the only Christians they know, we should not deprive ourselves of the very things that enemies of the faith try to deprive the faithful of.
None currently, I'm a recovering night shifter on a swing shift. Which limits my regular opportunities.
Non-Jewish.
Do you tithe (that is, paying 10% of your income) to your church? If you cannot afford to pay 10% of your income in money, then do you offer 10% of your harvest or 10% of your merchandise to the church?
I don't feel comfortable answering that question, we are to give in secret. 10% minimum is a good rule of thumb, and those who cannot afford 10% should give what they can and work their way up to 10%. Super-rich people probably need to give more than 10%.
How do worships go? Do everybody sit in benches, called pews, and do the same thing at the same time? Or do everybody stand up and do different things while worshiping?
We sit and stand together, most of the time.
Their own homes.
How old and what education level does one need in order to become a clergyman or -woman?
Youth ministers tend to be closer to fresh out of college than the rotation of teaching pastors that my church has.
I have, but the church doesn't need more pastors, it needs more good Christians in the regular world.
10. It happened again at 18 after my faith had recovered from a severe crisis a couple years earlier, but I have since been convicted that the second baptism was not necessary.
Have you ever served as an altar server?
No incense altars to serve at either church I was raised in.
Would a Confirmation for a Christian be comparable to a Bar/Bat Mitzvah for Jew?
We didn't have confirmation classes, and the ceremonies are very different.
How big is your church? How many members does it have? How tall is the church? Does it have a parking lot to accommodate the modern luxury of cars? What rooms are there in your church, and who is in charge of what room? (For example, a sacristan would be in charge of a sacristy.)
3,000ish attenders, I don't know how many members. There's enough parking, we actually have a newer building as we had outgrown the last one despite planting several churches. You had to arrive early if you were going to have a place to park at the old building!
How do you engage in proselytism, or do you rely on professional missionaries/evangelists to proselytize?
It's supposed to be a natural extension of your life, you stay attentive for opportunities. I haven't had very many of late, people I work with just don't seem to be interested. And if they are, they're Christians already.
Have you ever led people to Jesus just by being in the same room with a non-Christian?
"Just being in the same room" will not do anything. There needs to be at bare minimum prayer for that, and in most cases, at least one conversation as well.
Unsure of the number.
Have you ever become jealous when one of your Christian friends has made more converts than you have?
Nah. We're all on the same team, we all have different gifts, and we all have different seasons in life. Whoever brings somebody else in, that's a time for celebration. Period.

Upvote 0

GrizzlyMonKeH

Chemical Engineering Undergraduate
Jul 23, 2012
Iowa State University
✟8,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Who or what introduced you to Christianity

I grew up in church, but I never really made it my own faith until I was in high school.

I had a traumatic experience, prayed, and experienced a medical miracle. To put it briefly, the most reputable eye-surgeon in the midwest could not believe my eye was preserved so perfectly after a four-wheeling accident in the summer after my 8th grade year. Pictures of my before-and-after injury were taken and placed in a textbook by interns from University of Iowa's medical school.

I'm non-denominational because I simply don't like legalistic rules in churches. I think anyone can be saved regardless of what they've done, how they dress, or the color of their skin.

Why did you believe that there was only one god? Wouldn't it be safer to believe that there were many gods, each god controlling one aspect of nature (the sun god, the sea god, the earth goddess, the moon goddess, the fertility goddess, etc)?

If there were multiple gods, objective morality would not exist. Which god would you obey? Which would you disobey? It's all rather absurd to me.

Yeah, they were overjoyed.

Do you invite your relatives and best buddies to church with you? And why do you do together in church? Are your relatives and friends interested in the Christian church as much as you are? Because of you, are they converted to Christianity as well?

Yeah, my best friend is a former agnostic who became a Christian in high school after attending my church with me for awhile. All of the glory goes to God, I just delivered the message.

Do Christians have to attend church every Sunday? Can Christians start a small church group within their own homes where they and their families can worship and pray together?

I think attending church on Sunday should be the basis on which optional small groups and study sessions are built upon.

I've participated in numerous short-term community outreach projects through both churches and school. Nothing I would call long-term.

non-Jewish Christian

I tithed back when I had a part-time job in high school. Now that I'm a job-less college student, I don't really have an income. I still devote a decent amount of time to helping with Christian organizations and events on campus.

How do worships go? Do everybody sit in benches, called pews, and do the same thing at the same time? Or do everybody stand up and do different things while worshiping?

The church I currently attend consists of about 2,000 college-aged individuals. It's very contemporary. Our services use guitars and drums, and for the most part, people stand while singing, sometimes clapping or whatever. Nothing crazy.

They have their own homes.

I'm pretty sure each of our pastors have at least a Masters degree in biblical studies.

No, not really.

I was baptized when I was 8, but I really didn't dedicate my life to Christ until I was 14, when I chose to be baptized again.

No, I've never been given the opportunity.

Would a Confirmation for a Christian be comparable to a Bar/Bat Mitzvah for Jew?

I don't believe in Confirmation as a way of obtaining salvation, or whatever that might imply.

How big is your church? How many members does it have? How tall is the church? Does it have a parking lot to accommodate the modern luxury of cars? What rooms are there in your church, and who is in charge of what room? (For example, a sacristan would be in charge of a sacristy.)

The church I'm attending has approximately 2,000 members, and I would guess that 80% of them are ages 18 to 26. It has a large parking lot, multiple sanctuaries, an athletics center that opens to neighborhood families, and a multitude of classrooms.

I don't really care if someone attends my particular church. I just want them to know the Lord.

I don't really understand the question.

I'm not going to boast. There is always more of God's work to be done.

No. If anything, it inspires me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Forge3
Upvote 0

Forge3

Forge
Aug 26, 2009
Toronto
✟13,441.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So many questions.

I walked many different paths, in darkness and in and through many different spiritual disciplines. I used escapism through drugs when I was young yet also drawn to the mind altering experiences. So New age, Shamanism, Hinduism, Buddhism all with attraction to the 'mystical' side of any path.The flame of desire for a deeper commitment grew in me. I almost joined the Hare Krishnas. My mother prayed with tears and I too was torn. To follow a path toward God but which path? In silent prayer after lifting this question up to God a voice entered upon and from within in a gentle voice "Come Follow me".

That somewhat describes the journey to my walk/path.

Your questions in general can be illumined in the Light of Divine love. It's power, and it's most lovely calling. Calling us how to live and be. What flows or cascades from our union with Him are fruits of the harvest. In this includes understanding unto wisdom.

I chose to summarize at this point. I will reflect upon any particular question that really has you in confusion and respond. Others have answered in length. May God bless them for such witnessing.

And you for the interest and inquiring.

Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1. Who or what introduced you to Christianity? If no one or thing introduced you, then what aspect of Christianity attracted you to the Church and God?

My family is pretty much all Christian. I have two grandfathers who are both pastors, so it is practically in my blood. After college, however, my parents became atheist and agnostic. When I came along, they wanted to become Christian again. So while my parents raised me to be Christians, they were sort of my first converts.

2. What made you conclude that you wanted to make a lifetime commitment to Christianity? Did you explore other religions at all?

My life has been surrounded by miracles even before it began, starting with my grandmother who was diagnosed by several doctors to be unable to have children who later gave birth to four children.

I have always been a deep analytical thinker, even from a young age, and religion was always the thing at the forefront of my mind. The notion that the world and self-conscious life could just spontaneously come into existence never made any sense to me.

There's also the detail that unless there is an afterlife, nothing we do matters. Whether we feed millions of starving children in Africa or we go as a mass murdering rampage, we'd all end up in the same place: non-existance. Living life to its fullest doesn't mean a thing unless there is actually something to gain from it. Sure, there are other religions that offer an afterlife, but they've never made sense to me either.

3. Why did you choose your particular denomination? Why did you not choose other denominations?

I'm currently attending a Baptist church. I've also been a part of Pentecostal, Lutheran, and non-denominational churches, and even one Christian cult. I've learned a lot from all of them, including how easy it is to manipulate the Bible for your own purposes. The Baptists are the denomination I've found to be most Biblically accurate from my experiences so far.

However, I don't really like to call myself Baptist. I only use the word because it gives people some idea of what I believe. But the division between the churches are largely only in name. The core beliefs of Christianity are shared by most. I'm a Christian first, Baptist second. The second could possibly change, but the first will never change.

4. Why did you believe that there was only one god? Wouldn't it be safer to believe that there were many gods, each god controlling one aspect of nature (the sun god, the sea god, the earth goddess, the moon goddess, the fertility goddess, etc)?

The problem with polytheism is that it cannot answer the question, "How did everything start?" With God, He always existed before anything else and He created all that exists. But you can't have that with multiple gods. Multiple gods cannot exist in eternity past because they would be subject to change. Can you imagine a conversation between two gods that has no beginning? They'd always be learning something from one another, but you can't have that kind of progress without a beginning. Just trying to make sense of it can give you a headache. And how can you pick one point in time in that infinite conversation for them to decide to create the world? Wouldn't that part of the conversation have inevitably come up an infinite number of times already?

With the Greeks, they knew that they couldn't have multiple gods who have always existed, so they attempted to think up something to create the gods. Chaos, the gap, void, yawning. It doesn't exist, yet from it the first goddess was created. She then gave birth to the first male god so that they could procreate and make other gods.

This explanation doesn't do anything for me. The Christian God, however, makes perfect sense to me. He knows everything, and He is all-powerful. Because of this, He never changes. And because He never changes, He can exist in a reality where He is all that there is. Time isn't an issue for the Christian God.

7. Do you invite your relatives and best buddies to church with you? And why do you do together in church? Are your relatives and friends interested in the Christian church as much as you are? Because of you, are they converted to Christianity as well?

I haven't had much success with getting people to come with me to church. Most of my friends either already have a church or I met via my church.

8. Do Christians have to attend church every Sunday? Can Christians start a small church group within their own homes where they and their families can worship and pray together?

One thing you have to understand about Christianity, there are very few "have to"'s in it. We don't come to church because we have to, but because we want to. It's something we benefit from, and we very much enjoy it. For myself specifically, there is no place I'd rather be.

Small church groups are perfectly fine. Historically speaking, that's how all churches started out. In the first century, Christians didn't have big church buildings to gather in. They met in their houses.

There are a variety of things I've volunteered my service for, most of which was through the church. We have a ministry specifically geared towards helping people in need. Through them, I've helped move furniture for women who either couldn't afford to hire movers or preferred not to. The church recently had a big thing one Saturday morning when they sent hundreds of their members to two neighboring schools to paint, sand, dig, etc.. We even put down a brand new tennis court.

My church is very big on service. I can't count the number of things they have going on every year for service abroad or local. They've even been known to help out churches in financial trouble.

Non-Jewish, although we typically call ourselves Gentiles.

11. Do you tithe (that is, paying 10% of your income) to your church? If you cannot afford to pay 10% of your income in money, then do you offer 10% of your harvest or 10% of your merchandise to the church?

If I can find a job and have an income, I do plan on giving 10% to the church, yes.

12. How do worships go? Do everybody sit in benches, called pews, and do the same thing at the same time? Or do everybody stand up and do different things while worshiping?

Worship is in the heart, not in the things we do. We have music to sing to, two different styles depending on the service you go to. Some sing along, some listen. Some lift their hands, some bow their heads. Some churches have different styles, but none of it matters. We also worship as we serve, which I would guess is God's favorite kind of worship.

13. Do clergymen and -women live in your church, or do they have their own homes?

They have their own houses. At church, they have an office, and sometimes a private prayer room.

14. How old and what education level does one need in order to become a clergyman or -woman?

I don't think there's an age limit. One guy around my age was ordained by my church this year. I believe he was just finishing his degree in...whatever degree it is you need to be a pastor.

I don't don't believe we have monks or nuns at our church. I've thought about possibly getting ordained, but I don't plan on becoming a pastor. There wouldn't be any point to it.

I don't remember. I've been baptized at least twice. The last time was two years ago, because my church believed in full water baptism. My last baptism was Lutheran, which do sprinkling instead of submersion.

18. Would a Confirmation for a Christian be comparable to a Bar/Bat Mitzvah for Jew?

Not really. A Bar Mitzvah is a rite of passage, an initiation into adulthood. Confirmation is training in the theology of the church. After you're done, then you are allowed to participate in Communion. I believe it is more of a Catholic/Lutheran thing.

19. How big is your church? How many members does it have? How tall is the church? Does it have a parking lot to accommodate the modern luxury of cars? What rooms are there in your church, and who is in charge of what room? (For example, a sacristan would be in charge of a sacristy.)

I'm not sure on the specifics. We're pretty big. Most of the church is two stories. We have a children's building, a small chapel, an auditorium used primarily for the contemporary services today, and a new building. Throughout the whole facility are a variety of rooms used for tons of purposes. Some are used for something different depending on the hour or the day. We have parking, but we do max out on occasion, especially on Easter and Christmas.

EDIT: Also, I don't believe our church has any pews. Chairs are more in style these days, but they do pretty much the same thing.

20. How do you engage in proselytism, or do you rely on professional missionaries/evangelists to proselytize?

I'm still new to this and am not not very comfortable doing it. On one mission trip, we went to the University of Washington to talk to people. I didn't do so well at that. Some had different methods, some holding signs saying "need prayer?" on them, but some people thought that they were asking to be prayed for.

Later, I helped to advertise for a local church by hanging things on people's doorknobs. This was something I felt more comfortable doing, although I was still a little nervous. We had a rule that if people had a sign saying "no soliciting," we would pass them up, although we weren't technically soliciting.

21. Have you ever led people to Jesus just by being in the same room with a non-Christian?

Not that I know of, but I can't be sure of exactly how far my influence has reached. I've been reminded on occasion that people are watching me even when I'm not aware of it. Some who had known me for years, even if not personally, have seen how I've changed. My youth pastor had told me about someone who seemed to think my changes were bizarre and wondered what could have been the cause of it. I'm not sure what became of that person. Never even knew their name.

The correct answer for any Christian should be zero. We don't convert people. We plant the seeds, spreading the Gospel wherever we can, and God is the one who causes them to grow. We could call the seeds that grow our converts, but that puts too much credit on us. In many cases, we never know what happens to those seeds. We share the Gospel with people we never see again.

23. Have you ever become jealous when one of your Christian friends has made more converts than you have?
[/list]

Why should I? We're all playing for the same team, aren't we? The pastor may be the one to see people after they've made a decision to convert, but what about the people in the media team who help the pastor be heard clearly throughout the whole room? What about the team of greeters who make guests feel welcome from the moment they walk through the doors? We all work towards the same goal, and we are strengthened by the contributions of others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oi_antz

Opposed to Untruth.
Apr 26, 2010
New Zealand
✟7,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Hestha! These are good questions! What are you going to do with all the information you get?
I was raised in a Christian family and the Sunday school taught us the nature of God and the big bible stories. I spent a bit of time as a teenager living with my Nana who was extremely religious, but we faught a lot. I was a rebellious teenager. Just before she passed away I was baptized in her church, which had suffered a splitting up. Two of the three trustees had taken the majority of the church into a modern fashion, while the remaining few kept up the traditional fashion according to the constitution. I went away to study after that and never got involved with a church so I drifted away from God and even became severely anti-christian.
Well when God put the truth of Christianity in perspective for me, I just couldn't believe against Jesus anymore.
I go to any denomination. There are some churches (not denominations, but leaderships) whose corruption offends me. I don't go back to those churches.
No it doesn't make sense to me I'm sorry. Saying so is just like saying that walking under a ladder is bad luck.
Yes my relatives were warm to Christianity anyway. It was my friends and colleagues who spat. There seems to be a serious energy against Christianity, and countless reasons why. Anyway, I had great peace and that was a testimony to me.
There is a nice quote from Paul, I can look it up if you like, basically he says "They belong to Jesus, and who are you to condemn another person's servants?".
Well churches tend to be led by specialist's. Needless to say not everyone is a specialist theologian. Many church leaders make a profession of it, their entire life is dedicated to it. This is why I attend churches. My closest friends aren't in a position to attend, various reasons.
That is how it started ;)
I just finished building a website for a lady who sells heirloom seeds from her back yard. I did that for free. I also donate money to a few causes, and the Samaritan's Purse is incredibly rewarding :)
I'm not Jewish.
Depends whether God tells me to.
Depends on the church.
Ditto.
Ditto.
Yes, though it wasn't my calling.
17yo.
No, but I was the song leader in that small church I mentioned.
Do you mean baptism?
Depends on the church.
Just occasionally there will be an opportunity to correct a person's thoughts. We shouldn't force people to think our way though.
Not sure.
For me it is not about converting people, since that is God's role. Even Jesus said that. I go about contributing to shed a positive light on Christianity, encouraging people to seek the light rather than the darkness. The apostle Paul described it as sowing and watering. He said "I have sowed the seed, Apollos has watered and God gave the increase". He also said some of us build with straw, some with fine gems. There will be a fire to test our works.
Not at all, we are different parts making up the same body. If Jesus wants someone to be part of His church then He will get through to them one way or another.

Where have all these questions come from? It sounds like you have observed a highly religious version of Christianity. Have you ever witnessed a miracle?

Upvote 0
P

Publius

1. Who or what introduced you to Christianity?
I was born in the South, which, at that time, had a very strong Christian culture.

If no one or thing introduced you, then what aspect of Christianity attracted you to the Church and God?

The Holy Spirit.

What made you conclude that you wanted to make a lifetime commitment to Christianity?

Regeneration by the Holy Spirit.

Did you explore other religions at all?

A little.

Many denominations have virtually identical doctrine to my denomination, so I could have joined any one of them. But this is the one where I am most comfortable with the culture and the secondary issues.

Why did you believe that there was only one god?

Because the Bible says so.

Wouldn't it be safer to believe that there were many gods, each god controlling one aspect of nature (the sun god, the sea god, the earth goddess, the moon goddess, the fertility goddess, etc)?

No.

They didn't really care one way or the other.

I have. My dad is a Christian and my mother knows the Gospel. There is a wise way to approach things and an unwise way. I've presented it to her as clearly as I know how and to keep on doing it would not be wise.

Do you invite your relatives and best buddies to church with you?

No.

Do Christians have to attend church every Sunday?

"Have to"? No. Want to? Yes.

Can Christians start a small church group within their own homes where they and their families can worship and pray together?

I thought all Christian families do this.

I didn't realize you could "consider" yourself Jewish. I thought you either are or you aren't.

Do you tithe (that is, paying 10% of your income) to your church?

No.

Worship is to be reverent and orderly.

Well, since I guess I would be considered a "clergyman", yes. I do live my own home.

How old and what education level does one need in order to become a clergyman?

Depends on the church and the ministry. I've known old men in Kentucky who barely passed the third grade who are some of the greatest preachers I've ever known. And yet, we see examples of men who graduate from the finest seminaries who have no business being behind a pulpit.

Have you ever thought of becoming a clergyman?

Yes.

I was an accolyte when I was a child. My uncle was our church sexton. I helped him.

No.

How big is your church? How many members does it have?

About 320 members.

We have an evangelism team of about 60 people.

No. I don't see how that's possible.

Me, personally? None. The Holy Spirit? Millions.

No.

gray angel said:
Not really. A Bar Mitzvah is a rite of passage, an initiation into adulthood. Confirmation is training in the theology of the church. After you're done, then you are allowed to participate in Communion. I believe it is more of a Catholic/Lutheran thing.

Methodists do it, too. Looking back, mine was rather embarrassing. I was attending an extremely liberal church at the time (yes, I know "Methodist" and "extremely liberal" is redundant). I was just asked to watch a movie and I was considered "confirmed" and a member of the church. Nothing about my testimony or my understanding of doctrine or my fruit or sanctification. Just a couple of classes where we ate a lot of pizza and played a couple of games and watched a movie.

The movie was stupid, too. I remember it portrayed Jesus as a slacker teenager who was not co-equal with the Father and had a sister named "Grace" (she was black, while "Jesus" was white...Even at twelve years old, I thought it was a little odd that God had two children by two obviously different mothers...kind of made me wonder about the whole "thou shalt not commit adultery" commandment). I also remember that every time "Grace" would say something, "God" would reply, "That's amazing, Grace!", as though it was a clever play on words.

But I digress.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GrayAngel

Sep 11, 2006
USA
✟21,292.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Methodists do it, too. Looking back, mine was rather embarrassing. I was attending an extremely liberal church at the time (yes, I know "Methodist" and "extremely liberal" is redundant). I was just asked to watch a movie and I was considered "confirmed" and a member of the church. Nothing about my testimony or my understanding of doctrine or my fruit or sanctification. Just a couple of classes where we ate a lot of pizza and played a couple of games and watched a movie.

The movie was stupid, too. I remember it portrayed Jesus as a slacker teenager who was not co-equal with the Father and had a sister named "Grace" (she was black, while "Jesus" was white...Even at twelve years old, I thought it was a little odd that God had two children by two obviously different mothers...kind of made me wonder about the whole "thou shalt not commit adultery" commandment). I also remember that every time "Grace" would say something, "God" would reply, "That's amazing, Grace!", as though it was a clever play on words.

But I digress.

"Oh sweet me, that sounds lame." -- Jesus

Seriously, that just sounds incredibly stupid. When I went through Confirmation at a Lutheran church, I was expected to take a series of classes, answer questions in a book, memorize the books of the Bible in the order of their appearance, etc.. No movies were involved, although I do remember watching parts of Bible Man in church on a separate occasion. *Gag*

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I was raised in Catholic school but never really believed it or thought about it. I was introduced to Christianity in a more adult sense by a friend from university (who is now my long term girlfriend).

I still have a fascination in Eastern religions and Indian philosophy. I spent a lot of time exploring Taoism and Buddhism as well. The thing that kept coming back again and again is the fact that people consistently fail in their goals and morals. It is our imperfections that drew me to the Christian philosophy. I also found Jesus' moral message to be more compelling than others (like Lao Tze or the Buddha) because it was so selfless and unintuitive.

I think the role of denominations is dropping off. My generation and those younger than me don't seem to really care whether they go to a Baptist or Episcopalian or non-denominational church. Its more about finding a church and pastor that fits with you. That being said, I still find Catholic church to be way too boring and ritualized. I go to a Baptist church simply because its nearby and I have a good relationship with the pastor.

I believe that there is only one Truth and one Ground to Reality and that is God. I don't think God is one "god" (little g) among many, I think God is more of an all-encompassing truth and source and power and creator. So I end up looking at polytheism as a human endeavour to describe this truth by breaking it up into parts. Perhaps it isn't "wrong" to interpret one manifestation of God's power as one thing and another manifestation as another. But by doing this I don't think they're getting the whole picture.

Neither of my parents are Christian, they both ascribe to more Eastern traditions and philosophies (which is why I'm inclined to those as well). They have nothing against religion and they see beliefs as a personal thing so I don't think they really care.

I've had some pretty good theological and philosophical discussions with both my mom and dad (they are both quite philosophical, as am I). I don't think my goal is to "convert" them but perhaps more to get rid of some of the stereotypes and misconceptions about Christianity that so many non-Christians hold.

My sister took an Alpha course with me and has some interest and has come to church a few times. Other than that, not really.

I think its important to have a community. That being said, based on my background, I tend to view faith as a personal endeavour and tend to have my more intense spiritual experiences while alone. It might just be because I'm an introvert too. I don't think Christians have to attend church, but ideally, you should find a church that you WANT to attend. I love church and if I miss a week then I feel disappointed that I didn't get to go. I also think, in a social justice sense, a larger group can do more. Much of Jesus' mission was a social mission and so I think larger communities can accomplish greater things.

Not as many as I'd like. I'm in my last year of a uni degree in geophysics and I'm already swamped. :(

My dad is involved with the local food bank and homeless shelter so I would like to get involved in that if time allows this year.

I'm not sure what you mean.

I try to give 10% and when I consistently do give 10% I find myself happier and less worried about money and finances. Give it up to God and don't worry.

We just have chairs, although I've been to many churches with pews too. Generally we all stand to sing although some people choose to sit. Some people put their hands in the air. Some people clap. Some people bow their heads. Some people dance. Its really quite a free for all and you can do pretty much whatever you want. We had one guy who used to come and just sit in a chair the whole time with his eyes closed, unmoving. I'm assuming he was meditating or something.

They have their own homes. Not sure if they're called "clergymen" either. I think that's a Catholic term.

I don't know if they're set rules but I think for the Senior Pastor (the one that is the "leader" and does most of the sermons or talks), they want someone "up in years" to have the wisdom and knowledge to lead. They also generally want someone who has gone through some sort of theological training. For our Youth Pastor (the pastor that leads youth activities) they generally want someone much younger so that kids can relate better. The Music Pastor will be someone who knows music etc.

I have considered going to Bible School or Theological Seminary. Again, I think "monk" and "nun" are more Catholic or Orthodox terms.

6. In a Catholic church. I haven't been baptized again.

No

Confirmation is a Catholic thing. I guess it would be comparable in some ways.

The church proper (where everyone congregates) hold about 300 people. We probably have around 250 members. Not sure of the height. It does have a paved parking lot as well as a large field used for overflow. There's a bunch of rooms and offices on the second floor; some are used for administrative stuff, others are for smaller group meetings or after school activities. We also have a larger room upstairs that is used for "deaf church" as well as a Japanese church where services are held in sign language and Japanese, respectively.

I'm not sure how I feel about proselytism as this time. I like to engage people by acting and living a Jesus-centered life. I also wear a cross around my neck and it has sparked some good discussion from time to time.

Nope.

None that I explicitly know of.

Nope. I don't know if modern proselytism is really what Jesus or Paul had in mind when seeking to change people's lives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

5. When you decided that you wanted to become a Christian, did you tell your relatives about your decision and commitment? How did they respond?
  6. If your parents are non-Christian, then do you share your faith with your parents or allow them to keep their own faith and way of life?

Could you please indicate your motive behind asking all these questions ? What level of sincere interest do you have ?
How might recieving answers help you in your personal life ?
Are you asking these questions for entertainment purposes , or is there a more genuine reason ?

Thank you for clarifying .

Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I went away to study after that and never got involved with a church so I drifted away from God and even became severely anti-christian.

Studying leads to drifting away from God, which leads to becoming anti-Christian? How were you anti-Christian? Can you tell more about that?

Yes my relatives were warm to Christianity anyway. It was my friends and colleagues who spat. There seems to be a serious energy against Christianity, and countless reasons why. Anyway, I had great peace and that was a testimony to me.

Why did your friends and colleagues spat at it? How did they spat at it? Are they Christians? Do they profess any religious belief?

Where have all these questions come from? It sounds like you have observed a highly religious version of Christianity. Have you ever witnessed a miracle?

These questions come from my head. Yes, I do have a highly religious version of Christianity, because Christianity is supposed to be religious. So, I ask these religious questions. :p No, I have never witnessed a miracle. If I did, I may not have paid close attention or have forgotten it by now. :)

Upvote 0

Hestha

Jun 1, 2012
✟8,272.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Depends on the church and the ministry. I've known old men in Kentucky who barely passed the third grade who are some of the greatest preachers I've ever known. And yet, we see examples of men who graduate from the finest seminaries who have no business being behind a pulpit.

Can you explain why? What exactly do you like about a "good sermon"?

What do you mean by "extremely liberal"? Do you focus more on orthodoxy more than orthopraxy?

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Wow, that is a lot of questions. I like answering your questions, though, if only because they help me to articulate things..... I'm skipping the ones that don't apply, but the numbers changed - sorry if that's confusing.

my mom - she was a new Christian when I was a child, and that was exciting for me.
  2. What made you conclude that you wanted to make a lifetime commitment to Christianity?
    I was just a little girl back then - but when I was older I explored other things. Nothing worked for me, and I knew I had walked away from the Truth. I had to go back. This is a short, short version of a long story.
    I grew up United Methodist, went mostly to an Episcopal church in college and shortly thereafter, moved to a Baptist church where the Holy Spirit was moving, then Assembly of God, then moved and went to a Mennonite church that became non-denominational and have been in charismatic non-denominational churches since. I don't think God reads the sign over the door. I will go where I feel I'm supposed to be.
    I feel plenty safe worshiping the God who created all things - He's God, infinitely powerful - He can multitask.
  5. Do you invite your relatives and best buddies to church with you? And why do you do together in church? Are your relatives and friends interested in the Christian church as much as you are? Because of you, are they converted to Christianity as well?
    The Holy Spirit has to draw people's hearts, and sometimes it seems to take a long time. I do invite people to church sometimes, but not all the time....
  6. Do Christians have to attend church every Sunday? Can Christians start a small church group within their own homes where they and their families can worship and pray together?
    Absolutely they can start small groups - but it is healthy to fellowship with other believers who are not in our families - because all Christians are children of God - we're one family, so we should associate with one another. And no, we don't have to attend church every Sunday.
  7. What community service or humanitarian projects do you do?
    We do various projects helping poor families and kids here in Tegucigalpa. Right now there are two young men apprenticing with my husband, learning carpentry and being discipled, and we have another missionary working with us who is a house mom for some young single women, sort of a halfway-house as they become too old for children's ministries / orphanages. We are helping to send one of those girls to school to become a preschool teacher.
  8. Do you consider yourself Jewish Christian or non-Jewish Christian?
    Well, I am not Jewish by race, and I am a Christian - but of course the roots of our faith are Jewish, and I do not deny that.
  9. Do you tithe (that is, paying 10% of your income) to your church? If you cannot afford to pay 10% of your income in money, then do you offer 10% of your harvest or 10% of your merchandise to the church?
    We live on what we need, we only have one old pickup and we don't live in a fancy neighborhood.. and we give away what we don't need, in various forms. This is our ministry.
  10. How do worships go? Do everybody sit in benches, called pews, and do the same thing at the same time? Or do everybody stand up and do different things while worshiping?
    I really hope that the congregation comes together, hears from the Spirit and obeys. It can look different ways on different occasions. This is what I would like. In the church I go to, we do not sit on pews; we have chairs. Everyone pretty much does the same thing at the same time.
  11. Do clergymen and -women live in your church, or do they have their own homes?
    I don't know of any clergymen or -women who live in the church. Some have their own homes, while others live in homes provided by their churches.
  12. How old and what education level does one need in order to become a clergyman or -woman?
    I don't really think there is a hard and fast rule.....
  13. Have you ever thought of becoming a clergyman or -woman or a monk or a nun?
    I am an ordained pastor.
  14. How old were you when you were baptized in a church?
    In a church - if you count the infant one, there's that one, and then again at confirmation when I was about twelve, if you count sprinkling. The Baptist church I went to later didn't, so I was immersed when I was in my twenties - in a river in Siberia. :D
  15. Have you ever served as an altar server?
    Yes.
  16. Would a Confirmation for a Christian be comparable to a Bar/Bat Mitzvah for Jew?
    I don't really know..... sort of?
  17. How big is your church? How many members does it have? How tall is the church? Does it have a parking lot to accommodate the modern luxury of cars? What rooms are there in your church, and who is in charge of what room? (For example, a sacristan would be in charge of a sacristy.)
    My home church in the States is about 200 members - it meets in a fairly modern (80's) building (not really tall) with a parking lot that has railroad gravel. The building has a lobby area, and office area, a sanctuary, a nursery, a parlor, a dining area with kitchen, some Sunday school rooms, and a youth room, plus a playground, a barbecue area, a storage room, and a custodial area.
  18. How do you engage in proselytism, or do you rely on professional missionaries/evangelists to proselytize?
    I am a "professional missionary".
  19. Have you ever led people to Jesus just by being in the same room with a non-Christian?
    I'm not sure what you mean by that.
  20. How many non-Christians have you successfully converted?
    I'm not sure. I haven't kept a record of that, and I'm not sure how I would define "successfully converted".
  21. Have you ever become jealous when one of your Christian friends has made more converts than you have?
    haha, no! I am happy when someone is converted, no matter who was instrumental in it

Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
1. Born into a Christian home.

2. I explored everything. I sat down and for about a year, tried to find what religion was true, wether that be atheism, Buddhism, Islam, et cetera. I finally rested on Christianity.

3. I was raised Baptist, but now I care not for denominations and wish they would all go away.

4. Hinduism is a lot like that, but it is far too contradictory.

5. Everyone expected it, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

7. All my friends are Christians, but we don't all go to the same church.

8. We are supposed to have fellowship with other believers. How that gets fulfilled is entirely subjective.

9. Until i graduated high school, I was a part of a ministry/outreach team in which I have done hundreds of hours of community service.

10. I have no idea my lineage as I am adopted.

11. Don't got no job yet... :( But if I did, I would do more than 10%

12. I switch between churches. The first one is one where we all stand up when the pastor asks us to, and we can raise our hands or sway abck and forth, but other than that it is a distraction. This is my "meat" church when I need a good preaching. The next is my worship church. There, I can dance, do flag worship, jump up and down, or whatever I feel like doing to worship my God.

13. Nope.

14. I have no idea, but to my knowledge no criteria is needed, just the vote of the congregation or elders.

15. I thought about being a monk, but I talk too much and love music waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much for silence. i would get a headache. Of course, if God convicts me to be one, I guess I would.

16. Eight???

17. No idea, but I don't think so.

18. This is the first time the term "Confirmation" has tickled my ears.

19. The first church ha sits own building, with a small parking lot, and a lot of the cars have to park on the street. Also, they bought a house across the street for the youth which has a nice two-car driveway. My other church rents out the local Grange Hall every Wednesday and Sunday.

20. I enjoy street-preaching, but I prefer to go in groups.

21. Not to my knowledge.

22. I'm not sure. I have been a part of numerous people's conversions, but I have not directly led someone through the prayer. But I have witnessed to many, and led a few back to the Lord.

23. I would say a "righteous-jealous". I am competitive, so when someone does better than me, it pushes me to do better. I don't hate them for it, I encourage them, but they make me go harder.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PureDose

Pinball Wizard
Sep 18, 2012
✟850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

1. Who or what introduced you to Christianity? If no one or thing introduced you, then what aspect of Christianity attracted you to the Church and God
I had a number of anomalous supernatural experiences which led me eventually to the Bible. These experiences and perhaps simply what was in my heart forced me to seek until I found answers which were true.

1. What made you conclude that you wanted to make a lifetime commitment to Christianity? Did you explore other religions at all

I explored just about every other religion first, I suppose because I realized it would all end at Christ down deep inside.

I continue to explore other religions and everything else. When you have the truth you are unafraid to be absolutely open minded.

1. Why did you choose your particular denomination? Why did you not choose other denominations?
I do not belong to a particular denomination. If I must choose, I generally choose a Charismatic Church, one which is far from legalistic but believes in miracles.

Over the years I studied many different beliefs, the history of the church, the various denominations, and am constantly looking and listening for more true information which I find from all manner of places.

1. Why did you believe that there was only one god? Wouldn't it be safer to believe that there were many gods, each god controlling one aspect of nature (the sun god, the sea god, the earth goddess, the moon goddess, the fertility goddess, etc)?
As some said during his time of him, "no one speaks as he does". And no one acted as he did. His life and teachings were consistent with who he was. Not all of the world teachers were teachers of myth. But, when they are, I find it is simply easy to tell.

The strongest advocates against Christ I have met - and I have met some really strong ones - have always had to distort who Jesus was, what he said, what he did to make their points.

That manner of rhetoric simply does not impress me. I am serious about truth.

1. When you decided that you wanted to become a Christian, did you tell your relatives about your decision and commitment? How did they respond?
My family was nominally Christian, so for me to become more seriously Christian was not an issue. I always felt like that was where the truth was.

1. If your parents are non-Christian, then do you share your faith with your parents or allow them to keep their own faith and way of life?
When I have had disagreements or concern with my family, I usually have my own say, state things positively, and then move on knowing well it is too hard for someone close to you to hear you.

1. Do you invite your relatives and best buddies to church with you? And why do you do together in church? Are your relatives and friends interested in the Christian church as much as you are? Because of you, are they converted to Christianity as well?
Those are multiple questions. I normally let people close to me be as they are, but am open about my own beliefs. From what I have heard, I have been a very positive influence in their lives.

Salvation to me has nothing to do with "going to Church", though. The Church is the body, and one might find believers anywhere.

Even in the places you least expect.

1. Do Christians have to attend church every Sunday? Can Christians start a small church group within their own homes where they and their families can worship and pray together?
First question, no. We are saved by believing Jesus and keeping his word, which are recorded in the Gospels.

Second question, Christians can meet anywhere.

Fellowship in the West is trivial, in tyrannical countries, of course, it is much more difficult as it was in the beginning of Christianity. Christianity was seen as dynamite to tyranny. Totalitarianism. And it is. So, no surprise it is deeply hated and outlawed by every tyrant. And if there has been any tyrant who has claimed otherwise -- they have been liars and followed a false Christianity.

1. What community service or humanitarian projects do you do?
Oh... one could call it a sort of art. Free form poetry, living theater sort of thing.

1. Do you consider yourself Jewish Christian or non-Jewish Christian?
As I am racially not Jewish as far as I know, I am therefore not a Jewish Christian.

"In Christ there is neither Jew nor Gentile"... such racial thoughts and considerations are of the flesh.

1. Do you tithe (that is, paying 10% of your income) to your church? If you cannot afford to pay 10% of your income in money, then do you offer 10% of your harvest or 10% of your merchandise to the church?
No, I do not *literally* tithe.

1. How do worships go? Do everybody sit in benches, called pews, and do the same thing at the same time? Or do everybody stand up and do different things while worshiping?

I worship God wherever I go through continual wonderment at him.

1. Do clergymen and -women live in your church, or do they have their own homes?
  2. How old and what education level does one need in order to become a clergyman or -woman?
  3. Have you ever thought of becoming a clergyman or -woman or a monk or a nun?
  4. How old were you when you were baptized in a church?
  5. Have you ever served as an altar server?
  6. Would a Confirmation for a Christian be comparable to a Bar/Bat Mitzvah for Jew?
  7. How big is your church? How many members does it have? How tall is the church? Does it have a parking lot to accommodate the modern luxury of cars? What rooms are there in your church, and who is in charge of what room? (For example, a sacristan would be in charge of a sacristy.)

All of the above questions do not apply to me, I do not go to a physical church, and have not for many years.

The Christians I work with are far flung and of many different belief systems (on the surface).

One could say I belong to a very large, but very underground Church. :)

^_^
  1. How do you engage in proselytism, or do you rely on professional missionaries/evangelists to proselytize?
My church - though I accept Christians from everywhere - but, the group I work with... everyone does their own work. Everyone works seamlessly as a team, even when they - we - really, really seem not to.

Maybe we get that from Joel. ^_^

1. Have you ever led people to Jesus just by being in the same room with a non-Christian?
Ohhh... probably.

^_^

There is such a thing as presence.

1. How many non-Christians have you successfully converted?

Excuse me for a moment while I check the chalk marks on my bedboard. (Joking. Sorry.)

I do not consider myself an evangelist. I consider my self an engineer and a spiritual demolitionist.

1. Have you ever become jealous when one of your Christian friends has made more converts than you have?
That is really weird to me.

I just am and don't judge who I am dealing with, taking things as they are presented to me.

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Wow, that is a lot of questions. I like answering your questions, though, if only because they help me to articulate things..... I'm skipping the ones that don't apply, but the numbers changed - sorry if that's confusing.

my mom - she was a new Christian when I was a child, and that was exciting for me.
  2. What made you conclude that you wanted to make a lifetime commitment to Christianity?
    I was just a little girl back then - but when I was older I explored other things. Nothing worked for me, and I knew I had walked away from the Truth. I had to go back. This is a short, short version of a long story.
    I grew up United Methodist, went mostly to an Episcopal church in college and shortly thereafter, moved to a Baptist church where the Holy Spirit was moving, then Assembly of God, then moved and went to a Mennonite church that became non-denominational and have been in charismatic non-denominational churches since. I don't think God reads the sign over the door. I will go where I feel I'm supposed to be.
    I feel plenty safe worshiping the God who created all things - He's God, infinitely powerful - He can multitask.
  5. Do you invite your relatives and best buddies to church with you? And why do you do together in church? Are your relatives and friends interested in the Christian church as much as you are? Because of you, are they converted to Christianity as well?
    The Holy Spirit has to draw people's hearts, and sometimes it seems to take a long time. I do invite people to church sometimes, but not all the time....
  6. Do Christians have to attend church every Sunday? Can Christians start a small church group within their own homes where they and their families can worship and pray together?
    Absolutely they can start small groups - but it is healthy to fellowship with other believers who are not in our families - because all Christians are children of God - we're one family, so we should associate with one another. And no, we don't have to attend church every Sunday.
  7. What community service or humanitarian projects do you do?
    We do various projects helping poor families and kids here in Tegucigalpa. Right now there are two young men apprenticing with my husband, learning carpentry and being discipled, and we have another missionary working with us who is a house mom for some young single women, sort of a halfway-house as they become too old for children's ministries / orphanages. We are helping to send one of those girls to school to become a preschool teacher.
  8. Do you consider yourself Jewish Christian or non-Jewish Christian?
    Well, I am not Jewish by race, and I am a Christian - but of course the roots of our faith are Jewish, and I do not deny that.
  9. Do you tithe (that is, paying 10% of your income) to your church? If you cannot afford to pay 10% of your income in money, then do you offer 10% of your harvest or 10% of your merchandise to the church?
    We live on what we need, we only have one old pickup and we don't live in a fancy neighborhood.. and we give away what we don't need, in various forms. This is our ministry.
  10. How do worships go? Do everybody sit in benches, called pews, and do the same thing at the same time? Or do everybody stand up and do different things while worshiping?
    I really hope that the congregation comes together, hears from the Spirit and obeys. It can look different ways on different occasions. This is what I would like. In the church I go to, we do not sit on pews; we have chairs. Everyone pretty much does the same thing at the same time.
  11. Do clergymen and -women live in your church, or do they have their own homes?
    I don't know of any clergymen or -women who live in the church. Some have their own homes, while others live in homes provided by their churches.
  12. How old and what education level does one need in order to become a clergyman or -woman?
    I don't really think there is a hard and fast rule.....
  13. Have you ever thought of becoming a clergyman or -woman or a monk or a nun?
    I am an ordained pastor.
  14. How old were you when you were baptized in a church?
    In a church - if you count the infant one, there's that one, and then again at confirmation when I was about twelve, if you count sprinkling. The Baptist church I went to later didn't, so I was immersed when I was in my twenties - in a river in Siberia. :D
  15. Have you ever served as an altar server?
    Yes.
  16. Would a Confirmation for a Christian be comparable to a Bar/Bat Mitzvah for Jew?
    I don't really know..... sort of?
  17. How big is your church? How many members does it have? How tall is the church? Does it have a parking lot to accommodate the modern luxury of cars? What rooms are there in your church, and who is in charge of what room? (For example, a sacristan would be in charge of a sacristy.)
    My home church in the States is about 200 members - it meets in a fairly modern (80's) building (not really tall) with a parking lot that has railroad gravel. The building has a lobby area, and office area, a sanctuary, a nursery, a parlor, a dining area with kitchen, some Sunday school rooms, and a youth room, plus a playground, a barbecue area, a storage room, and a custodial area.
  18. How do you engage in proselytism, or do you rely on professional missionaries/evangelists to proselytize?
    I am a "professional missionary".
  19. Have you ever led people to Jesus just by being in the same room with a non-Christian?
    I'm not sure what you mean by that.
  20. How many non-Christians have you successfully converted?
    I'm not sure. I haven't kept a record of that, and I'm not sure how I would define "successfully converted".
  21. Have you ever become jealous when one of your Christian friends has made more converts than you have?
    haha, no! I am happy when someone is converted, no matter who was instrumental in it

We as Christians are called to be careful with out time and answering as thats what 'Dont throw pearls before swine' means.

Unfortunately, Ive had a personal message exchange with this OP who blatantly admitted that he has no serious interest in The Christian Faith and is on C.F. for entertainment purposes only. Thus, he is not to be considered a serious Inquirer. How you handle his inquiries is up to you , given this information im sharing.

Upvote 0

lillivanilli

May the schwartz be with you.
Dec 5, 2011
✟8,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We as Christians are called to be careful with out time and answering as thats what 'Dont throw pearls before swine' means.

Unfortunately, Ive had a personal message exchange with this OP who blatantly admitted that he has no serious interest in The Christian Faith and is on C.F. for entertainment purposes only. Thus, he is not to be considered a serious Inquirer. How you handle his inquiries is up to you , given this information im sharing.

How do we know that his being here, then, isn't actually the result of God working behind the scenes and trying to gently lead him to faith? Perhaps some small thing in somebody's answer might just be that one tiny seed that gets sown and leads to his salvation.

Jesus certainly didn't limit his interactions with only the believers.

Upvote 0

lillivanilli

May the schwartz be with you.
Dec 5, 2011
✟8,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
  1. Who or what introduced you to Christianity? If no one or thing introduced you, then what aspect of Christianity attracted you to the Church and God? - My parents did.
  2. What made you conclude that you wanted to make a lifetime commitment to Christianity? Did you explore other religions at all?- I was raised Lutheran but really made my decision to make a lifetime commitment last year when we joined a non-denominational church.
  3. Why did you choose your particular denomination? Why did you not choose other denominations?- I like the church, I love the service & the message, I feel more "at home" there than the old one. I haven't explored other denominations.
  4. Why did you believe that there was only one god? Wouldn't it be safer to believe that there were many gods, each god controlling one aspect of nature (the sun god, the sea god, the earth goddess, the moon goddess, the fertility goddess, etc)? - The existence of these multiple gods & goddesses is false teaching. There is only one God.
  5. When you decided that you wanted to become a Christian, did you tell your relatives about your decision and commitment? How did they respond? - Well, since I was always a Christian, I didn't really need to tell anyone. Most of my family are dead now so I really have nobody to tell anyway.
  6. If your parents are non-Christian, then do you share your faith with your parents or allow them to keep their own faith and way of life? - My parents are deceased. But they were Christian, and either way their beliefs were theirs. I couldn't tell them what to do or what to believe even if they were here.
  7. Do you invite your relatives and best buddies to church with you? And why do you do together in church? Are your relatives and friends interested in the Christian church as much as you are? Because of you, are they converted to Christianity as well? - my sister in law came to my new church with me and we joined together. My friends all live far away from me so them coming with me is not realistic. I have told them about it, though.
  8. Do Christians have to attend church every Sunday? Can Christians start a small church group within their own homes where they and their families can worship and pray together? - Jesus is the head of the church, and the church is the body of Christ. You can't have one without the other.
  9. What community service or humanitarian projects do you do? Donate to various charities, volunteer work.
  10. Do you consider yourself Jewish Christian or non-Jewish Christian? I simply consider myself a Christian.
  11. Do you tithe (that is, paying 10% of your income) to your church? If you cannot afford to pay 10% of your income in money, then do you offer 10% of your harvest or 10% of your merchandise to the church? - I give what I can. I don't have a harvest or merchandise...?
  12. How do worships go? Do everybody sit in benches, called pews, and do the same thing at the same time? Or do everybody stand up and do different things while worshiping? - We don't have pews, we have regular chairs. Worship service is lively and joyful - lots of song followed by the teaching of our pastor. You are free to stand or sit as you are comfortable doing.
  13. Do clergymen and -women live in your church, or do they have their own homes? - they have their own homes.
  14. How old and what education level does one need in order to become a clergyman or -woman? - I imagine at least a 4 year degree, you could get a master or doctorate, but I don't know for certain
  15. Have you ever thought of becoming a clergyman or -woman or a monk or a nun? - no
  16. How old were you when you were baptized in a church? - 4 months
  17. Have you ever served as an altar server? - yes
  18. Would a Confirmation for a Christian be comparable to a Bar/Bat Mitzvah for Jew? - I don't know, I'm not Jewish and haven't practiced any Jewish traditions.
  19. How big is your church? How many members does it have? How tall is the church? Does it have a parking lot to accommodate the modern luxury of cars? What rooms are there in your church, and who is in charge of what room? (For example, a sacristan would be in charge of a sacristy.) - I'm fairly new in my church so I don't know exactly how many members there are. 1000 maybe? Of course there's a parking lot, and we have rooms for education classes, a library, a kitchen, offices, etc. I don't think there are particular people "in charge" of individual rooms.
  20. How do you engage in proselytism, or do you rely on professional missionaries/evangelists to proselytize? - I talk openly about my faith.
  21. Have you ever led people to Jesus just by being in the same room with a non-Christian? Not that I'm aware of
  22. How many non-Christians have you successfully converted? - none that I'm aware of
  23. Have you ever become jealous when one of your Christian friends has made more converts than you have? - no, of course not. I never thought it was a competition.

Upvote 0

ForceofTime

Type, Pray, Edit, Repeat...
Feb 28, 2011
✟8,997.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Brother Dave, do we not have the same Spirit? I agree with Lillivanilli when she says we do not know to what purpose God has for Hestha, but I would also add that we don't know to what purpose God has for us as well.

I feel blessed to have Hestha here because the questions have for the most part provoked a deeper revelation of God in me and it may well be that God is proving me to see what I will do.

As for Hestha, let him believe what he wants. He is here, has come to learn about religion, so let us teach Christ instead. :)

Peace and grace of our Lord Jesus be with you. :wave:

Upvote 0