United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Enjoy :

bf37d6237dc4196e0eb732a27988283d.png

EskZy9SXMAMj830

"Our Lord Jesus Christ Himself says that it is above all by their love that His true disciples are to be distinguished."

- Fr. Seraphim Rose

(God's Revelation to the Human Heart, pg 28)

Last edited:

Melily

Feb 3, 2021
Noblesville
✟33,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
His book Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future really helped me understand some of the confusing experiences I had in a charismatic setting as a teenager. It was one of the first five orthodox books I read. I loved God’s Revelation to the Human Heart too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Lawrence87

Jan 23, 2021
No
✟32,311.00
Country
Western Sahara
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Did you read his books? It's nothing but (If you don't share my worldview or opinions you're wrong) kind of crap. I'm someone who greatly dislikes groupthink mentality. That's what I get from him. He has this cult like following as well. So many orthodox people I've spoken to on the internet are like. "You have to check out Fr. Seraphim Rose man, he's super based. You have to buy his books." I'm tired of people who just regurgitate arguments and have no arguments or theories of their own. Circle Jerking is the worst

Fr. Seraphim Rose has single handedly brought many, many people to the Orthodox faith, I don't think this is something that one should criticise lightly.

Whilst he might touch on some controversial topics from time to time, I don't think your assessment is particularly charitable. He was a staunch defender of Orthodoxy, and thus can seem strident at times. But it was an approach that paid off. People are passionate about him because his works brought them to Orthodoxy. Many figures in Orthodoxy develop a cult of followers around them, usually it is considered a sign of greatness.

I understand that he is not for everybody, but I do not agree with your assessment of him. He was a great and holy man, responsible for a flourishing in Orthodoxy that is still under way. Something, which I reiterate, should not be criticised lightly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lawrence87

Jan 23, 2021
No
✟32,311.00
Country
Western Sahara
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Unfortunately I don't have sources for these but here are some things I put in my little red note book of inspiring quotes:

Take guidance and inspiration from Holy Fathers of our own and recent times, those who lived in conditions similar to our own and yet kept undamaged and unchanged the same ever-fresh teaching.

The Orthodox man feels himself constantly a sinner because he falls short of the Church's exalted standard (in spirit if not in letter), whereas the 'modern' man wishes to feel himself justified, without any twinge of conscience over falling short of the Church's standard.

In our present day conditions, there must be a conscious effort to get away from involvement in the world - [...] from television, newspapers, telephone, etc.

Upvote 0

Platina

Nov 3, 2017
Mechanicsburg
✟227,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
For me, the fact that Fr. Seraphim didn't have arguments of his own, and that his followers don't try to present arguments of their own is one of the very best things about him.

Upvote 0