The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I haven't read a Christian self-help (ironic) book since I was a teen and dealing with self-esteem issues.

I did read a book called "Radical" last year as part of my Bible study group and it was good. Looking for suggestions on books that focus on... Well... I don't honestly know.

Normally, I would go to the Christian bookstore and just browse and see what piques my interest and just be led by the Spirit, hopefully, into choosing something.

There is no Christian bookstore in either of the medium-sized college towns in my area. Asked the folks in my Bible study last night and none knew of a Christian bookstore within 100 miles.

I really do live in an area best described as a "Spiritual Wasteland" with the lack of churches, lack of Christian resources, lack of Christian bookstores, etc.

My church has a small library, so I'll be stopping by there to look. But the absolute dryness of the sermons there is what is leaving me craving more spiritual meat.

Just wondering if there are any popular books on strengthening faith, overcoming negative self images, apologetics, etc.

No Christian fiction, please. I read the "Left Behind" series and found it sad that the most popular and successful fiction book series in Christian history was written at the 5th grade level.

Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I haven't read a Christian self-help (ironic) book since I was a teen and dealing with self-esteem issues.

I did read a book called "Radical" last year as part of my Bible study group and it was good. Looking for suggestions on books that focus on... Well... I don't honestly know.

Normally, I would go to the Christian bookstore and just browse and see what piques my interest and just be led by the Spirit, hopefully, into choosing something.

There is no Christian bookstore in either of the medium-sized college towns in my area. Asked the folks in my Bible study last night and none knew of a Christian bookstore within 100 miles.

I really do live in an area best described as a "Spiritual Wasteland" with the lack of churches, lack of Christian resources, lack of Christian bookstores, etc.

My church has a small library, so I'll be stopping by there to look. But the absolute dryness of the sermons there is what is leaving me craving more spiritual meat.

Just wondering if there are any popular books on strengthening faith, overcoming negative self images, apologetics, etc.

No Christian fiction, please. I read the "Left Behind" series and found it sad that the most popular and successful fiction book series in Christian history was written at the 5th grade level.
For these two areas I would recommend Joel Osteen. He may not everyones cup of tea for listening to preach, but I can assure you..The things that people say he lacks in his speaking ministry, he well makes up for in his books.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would never help line that charlatan's pockets. Sorry.
And that is why your blessings are going to be stifled if you don't change your attitude, my friend. I'm just saying. You don't speak out against God's anointed and expect God's best. Have a great day.

• Haha
Reactions: Grandpa2390
Upvote 0

Paulie079

Site Supporter
May 5, 2014
✟238,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And that is why your blessings are going to be stifled if you don't change your attitude, my friend. I'm just saying. You don't speak out against God's anointed and expect God's best. Have a great day.

There is nothing "anointed" about preaching a false gospel. Blessing comes from God's grace and our obedience to Him. The only thing anointed about Osteen is all of the product he uses in his hair. I would tell you to have a good day, but then again every day is a Friday for you anyway, hey?

Reactions: Servant68
Upvote 0

Paulie079

Site Supporter
May 5, 2014
✟238,749.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I would recommend checking out basically any of Tim Keller's titles. He planted a church in downtown New York City in 1989, and just has a very practical, intelligent, and down-to-earth perspective on things as he is used to ministering to young skeptics. I have personally read The Reason for God, which is a great Christian apologetics book. He also has really shaped my understanding of idolatry in the human heart in his book Counterfeit Gods. And he has books called The Prodigal God and Walking With God Through Pain and Suffering that I have heard various people say were really foundational for them.

A couple of books that have been very foundational in my walk with God as well are Don't Waste Your Life and Desiring God by John Piper. And one book that came to mind in talking about self-esteem/identity in Christ is Who Do You Think You Are? by Mark Driscoll. But I know Driscoll has rightly gained a bad rep and I haven't read the book myself so I can't speak to how good or helpful it is.

Also, I know you said you aren't so much interested in Christian fiction, but if you are ever interested in something that might redeem that genre for you, The Oath, This Present Darkness, and Piercing the Darkness by Frank Peretti are all fantastic books.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Erasing Hell by Francis Chan and Preston Sprinkle is a good book. It makes the case for the traditional Hell in Christianity as opposed to a temporary Purgatory-like state. But it's more than just that, it really stirs compassion for the lost, as they clearly have a heart for the lost. Going through that book has the serious potential to make you into a more loving person.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NurseAbigail

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2017
NC
✟48,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
started reading this...so far, very good book...

Attachments

• 20180122_113334.jpg
    20180122_113334.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm a fan of his books.

View attachment 218630

Oh that is Excellent. It's amazing how fast the mind thinks. In the moment that it took me to read what you said and then look at the title I thought to myself "oh no... Oh yes, hahahaha"

anyways, John MacArthur has some great books."Right thinking in the a World Gone Wrong" for example.

His sermon's on the Beatitudes and the Armor of God are very excellent. If he has a book about them...

Reactions: kittysbecute
Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Oh that is Excellent. It's amazing how fast the mind thinks. In the moment that it took me to read what you said and then look at the title I thought to myself "oh no... Oh yes, hahahaha"

anyways, John MacArthur has some great books."Right thinking in the a World Gone Wrong" for example.

His sermon's on the Beatitudes and the Armor of God are very excellent. If he has a book about them...
I have his study Bible and am a fan of his sermons.

Reactions: kittysbecute
Upvote 0

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have his study Bible and am a fan of his sermons.

You have already listened to those, but are they in the vein of what you are looking for? At first it sounded like you wanted Joel Osteen's stuff, but then you called him a charlatan (agreed), and so I figured you might one christian self-help that is practical. and John MacArthur's stuff I find to be practical. solid, scripture-based wisdom that you can actually apply.

Upvote 0

redblue22

You Are Special.
Jan 13, 2012
✟73,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I recommend checking christianbook.com for browsing.

Evans, A Guide to Biblical Commentaries and Reference Works is worth searching.

New Testament Commentary Survey is a fun read by D A Carson.

Tremper Longman has a book similar to Carson but on the Old Testament. Longman and Carson have very different approaches.

Glynn, Commentary and Reference Survey. A little dated but a little more well rounded.

Danker, Multipurpose Tools for Bible Study. More a history of tools than up to date.

Bauer, Essential Bible Study Tools for Ministry.

Reactions: Unix
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Grandpa2390

The Grey
Feb 24, 2017
New Orleans
✟42,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
then

that last one stood out to me and put a slightly different interpretation on strengthening faith than you intended. Sounded like a Joel Osteen type deal. But I also saw apologetics and your reaction to Joel Osteen and went with that :)

Upvote 0