Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I guess it depends on who the media chooses to interview.

Florida Hospitals Have Sufficient Capacity As Coronavirus Cases Surge, Officials Report

It might have been advisable for Florida health officials to issue warnings to peaceful protesters over three weeks ago. May have stopped this potential spike.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My son is an RN at an ICU in El Paso

There is an overflow unit to the ICU, the regular ICU is full
El Paso apparently had a similar capacity issue a week after Mother’s Day.

'Close to reaching capacity': UMC plans for patient overflow as El Paso virus cases surge - KVIA

The intent of the March-April shutdown was to build hospital capacity. It seems the hospitals are a lot more prepared for these surges now then they were 6-8 weeks ago.

As the article indicates, now that elective surgeries opened up there are competing needs for ICU beds.

• Informative
Reactions: Broken Fence
Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
This is just gonna get worse. Healthcare professionals are tracking 2 strains around the world. Both are mutating and becoming more infectious. I would be cautious, practice social distancing.

The coronavirus has mutated and appears to be more contagious now, new study finds
There are caveats for that paper. No, the COVID-19 virus is not getting more contagious - Alliance for Science

Theres another study like this Mutation could make coronavirus more infectious, study suggests - CNN. But if I understand it, the resulting strain is the one we already got from Europe.

Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess it depends on who the media chooses to interview.

Florida Hospitals Have Sufficient Capacity As Coronavirus Cases Surge, Officials Report

It might have been advisable for Florida health officials to issue warnings to peaceful protesters over three weeks ago. May have stopped this potential spike.
Florida reopened bars, massage parlors, theaters, theme parks, hair salons and barbershops had something to do with it.

Protests and political rallies did not seem concerned.

Reported new deaths in Florida have dropped to one a day. Either hospital care improved, the government reporting methods are crooked, the virus is weakening, or at risk people are sheltering themselves.

High level officials have predicted a spike in new COVID deaths by the middle of July.

• Agree
Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Florida reopened bars, massage parlors, theaters, theme parks, hair salons and barbershops had something to do with it.

Reported new deaths in Florida have dropped to one a day. Either hospital care improved, the government reporting methods are crooked, the virus is weakening, or at risk people are sheltering themselves.

High level officials have predicted a spike in new COVID deaths by the middle of July.
I saw something recently from the CDC saying that reported deaths lagged new cases by almost a month. That’s why it’s expected in mid July I’d guess.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I saw something recently from the CDC saying that reported deaths lagged new cases by almost a month. That’s why it’s expected in mid July I’d guess.
This chart shows daily US COVID deaths dropping. There were only 267 COVID deaths reported in the USA yesterday. That is close to 100,000 reported deaths per year (rounded) in a nation of 330,000,000. That is about 1 in 330 people dying of COVID per year. Many of these were elderly or sick with preexisting illness.
United States Coronavirus: 2,356,802 Cases and 122,250 Deaths - Worldometer

Hospitals being overwhelmed by new COVID patients is a worry as some antiviral drugs and therapy were administered in hospitals. Normal hospital functions were impaired during the epidemic.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These may be indicators of younger people contracting the virus. But does not tell the story of hospital capacity. What would have been interesting if there was data on which age ranges are in ICU. Florida is the Senior Citizen capital of the US. Meaning most people who would occupy their ICU wards would be elderly. But are they there for COVID or other reasons.

I would say the virus does not care if someone is protesting or sunbathing.

I think Florida did a decent job protecting the vulnerable populations in long-term care facilities, independent retirement communities and assisted living facilities.

Of course they do.

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

I would not that this hospital overflow is in South Florida, which if I remember correctly was the first part of the state to be locked down and the last to be opened back up.

High level officials predicted 3,000 deaths a day nationwide by June.

As it turns out, they're down to the levels they were at in late March.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
These may be indicators of younger people contracting the virus. But does not tell the story of hospital capacity. What would have been interesting if there was data on which age ranges are in ICU. Florida is the Senior Citizen capital of the US. Meaning most people who would occupy their ICU wards would be elderly. But are they there for COVID or other reasons.

I would say the virus does not care if someone is protesting or sunbathing.

I think Florida did a decent job protecting the vulnerable populations in long-term care facilities, independent retirement communities and assisted living facilities.

Of course they do.
The governor of Texas asked residents to wear face masks in spite of their feelings it takes away their freedom.

The spike in Texas COVID cases has caused some concern:
Local leaders warn Texas is heading down a dangerous path as coronavirus cases and hospitalizations surge in big cities

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The governor of Texas asked residents to wear face masks in spite of their feelings it takes away their freedom.

The spike in Texas COVID cases has caused some concern:
Local leaders warn Texas is heading down a dangerous path as coronavirus cases and hospitalizations surge in big cities
Makes sense. I think the “political debate” over mask wearing is ridiculous. If you can’t social distance properly then wear a mask. Pretty simple makes sense. Some people may think it infringes their liberty not to cover a sneeze but we know better.

I ate at a restaurant with family north of Dallas this weekend. To get in you needed a mask. Once you sat at your properly spaced out table you could take it off. Get up to go to the bathroom, put it back on.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
This chart shows daily US COVID deaths dropping. There were only 267 COVID deaths reported in the USA yesterday. That is close to 100,000 reported deaths per year (rounded) in a nation of 330,000,000. That is about 1 in 330 people dying of COVID per year. Many of these were elderly or sick with preexisting illness.
United States Coronavirus: 2,356,802 Cases and 122,250 Deaths - Worldometer

Hospitals being overwhelmed by new COVID patients is a worry as some antiviral drugs and therapy were administered in hospitals. Normal hospital functions were impaired during the epidemic.
Your math is bad.... 0.1 in 330 or 1 in 3300 as you would have to have 1,000,000 deaths to make it 1 in 330. Actual number based upon your figures equates to 0.037% death rate or a little over about 1/30th of a percent

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Your math is bad.... 0.1 in 330 or 1 in 3300 as you would have to have 1,000,000 deaths to make it 1 in 330. Actual number based upon your figures equates to 0.037% death rate or a little over about 1/30th of a percent
Thanks for the correction. They are worried more people will die if the hospitals get overwhelmed with patients and people can not get skilled care.

They might or might not have a vaccine by the end of the year. The earliest of any projections for a vaccine approval I recall is September. There are an estimated 100 vaccine candidates in the development pipeline. Oxford University of London was developing a MERS coronavirus vaccine. They modified it for COVID SARS. They seem to be in the lead.

The Chinese were hacking university computers looking for solutions. They have a product in testing.

Upvote 0