Visit site
✟11,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Sounds more like a new government trying to control the people than anything to do with religion.

O rly?

Those who do not follow the prayer edict after three days have elapsed, "will definitely be beheaded according to Islamic law," Rage told The Associated Press by phone. "As Muslims we should practice Islam fully, not in part, and that is what our religion enjoins us to do."

Upvote 0

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, threatening people with their lives will make them "believers"

Yeah, makes one wonder ... how were South American Indios or Australian Aborigines or North American indians "converted" to Christianity again?:doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Shhh! Bringing up past American atrocities to point out hypocrisy makes babies cry.
Actually, if you really think about it, bringing up past atrocities to point out current hyprocies is a failure of logic. Current atrocities apply to current atrocities, this would equate to current hypocriesy.
How did the american Indians treat each other? Were Indian lands decided in group hugs? If you want to throw logic out the door let's do some real research.

Upvote 0

I <3 Abraham

Go Cubbies!
Jun 7, 2005
✟18,730.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Actually, if you really think about it, bringing up past atrocities to point out current hyprocies is a failure of logic. Current atrocities apply to current atrocities, this would equate to current hypocriesy.
How did the american Indians treat each other? Were Indian lands decided in group hugs? If you want to throw logic out the door let's do some real research.
So while were tossing logic out the window, why dont we ignore the Hopis. If folks are throwing around the popular snide attack on islam, scare quoting religion of peace, then I am going to be less than generous in my assessment of our country's own actions. It's not like we have recognized our mistake and given back any lands that we took from the tribes. Heck, that would be impractical and, after all, that stuff is in the past!

And slavery, that has nothing to do with discrimination today, that's in the past!

And segregation, that has nothing to do with racial disparities today, that's in the past!

And extraordinary rendition of prisones in order to have lackies torture them for us, that has nothing to do with today, talk about old news!

How recent does an atrocity have to be before you admit that America has just about zero moral capital in the world? Heck, almost every other developed country in the world has outlawed the death penalty, and here we are quibbling over whether Somalia is correct in deciding what crimes deserve barbaric treatment? Sorry dude, I'm not gonna knuckle under to the argument "indians were violent too", you'll need to do a lot better.

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yeah, makes one wonder ... how were South American Indios or Australian Aborigines or North American indians "converted" to Christianity again?:doh:
I don't remember converting any American Indians or Australian Aborigines. How about you? Anyone else here?

Alright then. Let's stop with the guilt trips.

Reactions: MrJim
Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Shhh! Bringing up past American atrocities to point out hypocrisy makes babies cry.
Since I have never committed any atrocities spoken of here, I am free to condemn these actions without any stain of "hypocrisy."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
The actions, yes, but not so much the religion in general.
I have not condemned the religion. And those I have just responded to were also arguing against individuals that did not condemn the religion.

Upvote 0

Rochir

By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!
Sep 27, 2004
In your lap
Visit site
✟31,151.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Yes, American Christians "converted" by force, but so did the British in Australia and the Europeans in S- America. So, I wasn't talking specifically about American history, but about the many brutal facets of world Christianity in general!

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,518.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Oh, maybe some tripe about the "religoon of peace".
Firstly this is a good argument for the separation of Church and State.

Secondly this kind of thing happened in the puritan towns of early America where being a Baptist or Quaker could, and in some places did equal time in the stocks or even death.

Christianity has no leg to stand on here, we have done just as badly or worse in the name of the 'Prince of Peace.'

Upvote 0