Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The doctrine of Solus Christus is “Jesus Christ is the only savior of sinners and his atoning sacrifice is sufficient to save them.”

"Save" here does not just mean the initial forgiveness of sins. It includes all of salvation. Regeneration, saving faith, repentance, sanctification, perseverance throughout life, resurrection, and final salvation.

The doctrine teaches that Jesus' work on the cross and his continued work from heaven to apply the benefits of the cross is sufficient to save sinners. There's nothing we need to add to Jesus' work in order to be saved. He has done it all. He purchased it all at the cross.

Do you believe that Jesus is enough in this sense? Or do you believe that you need to add something to Jesus' work in order to be saved?

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
The doctrine of Solus Christus is “Jesus Christ is the only savior of sinners and his atoning sacrifice is sufficient to save them.”

"Save" here does not just mean the initial forgiveness of sins. It includes all of salvation. Regeneration, saving faith, repentance, sanctification, perseverance throughout life, resurrection, and final salvation.

The doctrine teaches that Jesus' work on the cross and his continued work from heaven to apply the benefits of the cross is sufficient to save sinners. There's nothing we need to add to Jesus' work in order to be saved. He has done it all. He purchased it all at the cross.

Do you believe that Jesus is enough in this sense? Or do you believe that you need to add something to Jesus' work in order to be saved?
Jesus is God in flesh, I believe, and God takes care of everything - well, he expects us to obey his commandments.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I don’t think person must add something. But person must be righteous to get eternal life.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

And righteousness means for example this:

He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

Righteous “tree” produces righteous “fruit”. That is good to understand. And as it is said “By their fruits you will know them.” Matt. 7:16. But still, “fruits” are not the key, only the evidence and result.

Righteousness is wisdom of the just, right understanding that makes person do right actions. The actions are not what saves, but if person is righteous, he wants freely do what is right. And tha tis why it is said also:

Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
Matt. 7:21

Righteous people are faithful to God and love God and therefore they want to do God’s will.

"The righteous will live by faith."
Galatians 3:11

• Winner
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I don’t think person must add something. But person must be righteous to get eternal life.
Hi 1213, according to the Bible, that could be a bit of a problem, yes!

Romans 3
10 THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE;
11 THERE IS NONE WHO UNDERSTANDS,
THERE IS NONE WHO SEEKS FOR GOD;
12 ALL HAVE TURNED ASIDE, TOGETHER THEY HAVE BECOME USELESS;
THERE IS NONE WHO DOES GOOD,
THERE IS NOT EVEN ONE.

Assuming for the moment that St. Paul is wrong in his assessment of fallen humanity, why does someone who is "righteous"* need of a Savior? .. cf Mark 2:17.

*(Perhaps we should also define what it means to be "righteous"? .. cf James 2:10-11 .. and perhaps how someone can 'become' righteous if they are not? .. is that even possible?? cf .. 2 Corinthians 5:21)

Thanks!

--David

Romans 3
All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God
.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blood Bought 1953

Ned Flander’s Buddy
Oct 21, 2017
Portsmouth
✟81,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was born a sinner and I will die a sinner.Thats bad news because I have to be perfect to merit HHeaven.I found a way out of this dilemma.I believe Paul’s Gospel thAt saves—1cor15:1-4.Because of that faith God sees me as perfect.Now I rest in the Finished work of Christ.I let others work añd worry for what I received as a free gift.Freedom in Christ is great.It makes for an abundant life...I got it by faith plus nothing.I reccomend it highly.

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 2:1-2
Acts of the Apostles 4:12
1 Corinthians 1:30-31

'My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly trust in Jesus’ Name.

When darkness seems to hide His face,
I rest on His unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.

His oath, His covenant, His blood,
Support me in the whelming flood.
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my Hope and Stay.

When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh may I then in Him be found.
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

On Christ the solid Rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand;
All other ground is sinking sand.'

--John Newton, 1834

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,928,887.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is God in flesh, I believe, and God takes care of everything - well, he expects us to obey his commandments.
"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven."
Hi Dread/Raymond, do you guys think we choose to obey God to become & remain saved/justified, or do we choose to obey Him because we already are (regenerated/saved/made new creatures in Christ)?

Why?

Thanks!

--David

Ephesians 2
10 We are His masterpiece, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Dread/Raymond, do you guys think we choose to obey God to become & remain saved/justified, or do we choose to obey Him because we already are (regenerated/saved/made new creatures in Christ)?

Why?

Thanks!

--David

Ephesians 2
10 We are His masterpiece, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
" There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God."

"and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him."

"No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day."

Doesnt seem like we have much of a choice. We will all hear his voice at the right time and will be drawn to him. Where else can we go? "Thou hast the words of eternal Life." Time to stop doing and choosing...and start watching and listening.....

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

So we must add our own efforts of obedience to Jesus' work in order to be saved?

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven."

Do you think that this verse supports my OP or contradicts my OP?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Are you suggesting that a person must contribute their own personal righteousness in order to be saved?

• Useful
Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

Why?

Thanks!

--David

Ephesians 2
I try to obey the Lord because there are consequences to our actions, and I know if I sin, life can get pretty unpleasant.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
So we must add our own efforts of obedience to Jesus' work in order to be saved?
The Lord saves us, but he expects us to learn from our mistakes, and he'll let us suffer if we don't.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

I hope not, what a terrifying prospect (Psalm 130:3 comes to mind).

• Agree
Reactions: Tree of Life
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Theophan

Mar 3, 2018
Colorado
✟19,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I don't understand why this is even a thread.

Jesus Christ, the Son of God, the Son of Man, fully God and fully Man, the God-man, the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords, the Good Shepherd, the Light of the World, the Resurrection and the Life, the Way, the Truth, the Life, the Gate, the Bread of Life, the I AM, the Lamb of God, the Alpha and the Omega, the Anchor, the Author and Perfector of our Salvation, the Right Hand of God, the Redeemer... the Savior.

So, Jesus Christ, is THE only Savior. God is our ONLY Savior. Who argues against this? No one who is a Christian.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

Theophan

Mar 3, 2018
Colorado
✟19,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

We must choose life in order to inherit life. Is having faith in the Son of God not of your own effort? Or do you completely discard free will and see your faith as nothing related to your own effort?

Without faith, it is impossible to please God. Right? What is the purpose of His commandments and the Apostolic injunctions if we lack the free will to accomplish them by faith in God?

My point is this: we see Jesus say many times in the Gospels, "Repent", "Believe", "Do this", "Have faith", etc. Do you dismiss these things and say that you do not exert any effort on your own part?

• Useful
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

How Can Christ's Sufferings Lack Anything? | Catholic Answers

Upvote 0

Theophan

Mar 3, 2018
Colorado
✟19,061.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does the Sun provide heat, light, and energy--in sum, life--to the whole earth? Yes.

What happens if you decide to remain inside of your home with the blinds closed? You deprive yourself of the Sun's rays.

Likewise, if we do not repent, we deprive ourselves of God's grace and salvation.

• Useful
Upvote 0