Oregon City
✟26,155.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Geriald Oniel in the book the third industrial revolution suggested we build a string of solor satilites in orbit around the earth. These satilites can send converted microwaves to receiving stations on Earth to produce electrical power and solve the energy crisis.

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Geriald Oniel in the book the third industrial revolution suggested we build a string of solor satilites in orbit around the earth. These satilites can send converted microwaves to receiving stations on Earth to produce electrical power and solve the energy crisis.[/QUOTE

It sounds like an extraordinary and complex solution to a much simpler problem. The only disadvantage to ground based solar is cloud cover. That reduces the solar panel output. It can be solved by careful siting and by increasing the number of panels. I just wonder what benefit there is to a space based system?

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Geriald Oniel in the book the third industrial revolution suggested we build a string of solor satilites in orbit around the earth. These satilites can send converted microwaves to receiving stations on Earth to produce electrical power and solve the energy crisis.

That system would fry a lot of wild life. Particularly birds.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Solor power is affected by the angle of the sun after midday and clouds also they don't work at night. In space all these problems are not a factor.
That is true but it's a huge cost to get anything into space. I used to work on high power microwave transmitters. They can boil the fluid in the eye. Supposedly birds and aircraft won't be affected. Really? We turned a transmitter onto some steel wool that had been loaded with oxygen. It burst into flames. It was less power than your normal microwave oven, just a different frequency

Upvote 0

Dan1988

Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2018
Sydney
✟204,276.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I've never heard of any energy crisis. Here in the land down under, we have enough coal to supply the whole world for 100 years and we have enough gas to supply the world for another 100 years.
We have enough oil to meet our needs for a long time to come.
Those solar satellites sound very expensive, coal, oil and gas are cheap and they provide instant energy 24/7 so I don't think anyone will be interested in funding other sources of energy while we have so much already available.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Wind power kills thousands of birds a year.As for microwaves that is just the price for having affordable energy.
I'm not sure that society would accept killing thousands of air travellers.

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

The system can easily be weaponized!:doh::doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
There is a company in Australia that has developed sensors and software to track space junk. Fragments of satellites can put working satellites out of action quite easily. Space is not as big as you think directly above the earth. Those massive new satellites will break up eventually, leaving more debris to deal with.

• Agree
Reactions: timewerx
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That is true but it's a huge cost to get anything into space. I used to work on high power microwave transmitters. They can boil the fluid in the eye. Supposedly birds and aircraft won't be affected. Really? We turned a transmitter onto some steel wool that had been loaded with oxygen. It burst into flames. It was less power than your normal microwave oven, just a different frequency

They'd probably use MASERS to achieve high transmission efficiency but the concentrated beams are more dangerous.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I really don't like the idea.

A spy, terrorist, disgruntled, suicidal employee at the controls can destroy a whole city with this system by artificially creating a firestorm.

They can also use the system to destroy responding army units like tanks, fighter planes, etc.

A well thought-out take over can be difficult to repel, short of destroying the satellites one-by-one in space. Which in itself leads to further big problems (destroyed satellite debris which either fall to earth and also deny space travel for years)

The whole system is essentially a superweapon.

Who says it can't be used at night as well?? Dayside satellites can simply relay microwave energy to other satellites via MASERS until it reaches nightside satellites.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Geriald Oniel in the book the third industrial revolution suggested we build a string of solar satellites in orbit around the earth. These satellites can send converted microwaves to receiving stations on Earth to produce electrical power and solve the energy crisis.

There is no energy crisis. Just an imagination crisis.

We Could Power The Entire World By Harnessing Solar Energy
www.forbes.com › sites › quora › 2016/09/22

That means 1.2% of the Sahara desert is sufficient to cover all of the energy needs of the world in solar energy.

renewable energy in resources Archives - Saving with Solar
www.savingwithsolar.com.au › category › renewable-energy-in-resou...

Mar 4, 2020 - New research in Science magazine shows that installing solar and wind farms in the Sahara Desert could generate massive amounts of electricity

Upvote 0