Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
In reference to the histories given by Josephus, a solemn fast is mentioned as having occurred in the third month on two separate occasions. The first was at the conclusion of the siege by Pompey, the other on the day Herod took Jerusalem. In both cases, the city fell during “the solemnity of the fast.”

While we do have a fast on the 20th of Sivan in modern times commemorating the many tragedies the Jews suffered in Europe from the Crusades forward, there are no records I can find referencing a day of solemn fasting during the first century BCE.

My thoughts on this are leaning towards the possibility of a period of solemn fasting prior to, and in preparation for, the Feast of Pentecost, as they did prior to the Feast of Passover. I haven’t yet found any corroborating evidence of such a practice concerning Pentecost. However, it seems like a not unreasonable possibility.

SOOOOO ... I wondered if anyone could definitively confirm or rebut the notion of a solemn fast (even if it’s only a half day) leading up to the Feast of Pentecost.

Alternately, I would be interested to hear any other thoughts on what this fast may have been if not as postulated. I want to find a credible answer to this issue.