Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know the panels have substantially dropped in price, but its still pretty pricy to add them to a home, and the payoff is still years off if they do, so over all, I still need convincing.

Still, I hope you are correct, or that it won't be long before we have cheap, clean power.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Using toilet paper is causing deforestation and destroying the environment.

Coronavirus pandemic worsens environmental damage from toilet paper

The only solution I see is that you all should just wipe with your hands and then wash them. Obviously, I won't be doing this....that's gross....but you all definitely should if you're serious about the environment. Switching to solar is nice....but it won't matter if we destroy all the trees.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat

The only solution I see is that you all should just wipe with your hands and then wash them. Obviously, I won't be doing this....that's gross....but you all definitely should if you're serious about the environment. Switching to solar is nice....but it won't matter if we destroy all the trees.

Nobody chops down trees just to get toilet paper. Toilet paper is made from waste from the logging industry.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Nobody chops down trees just to get toilet paper. Toilet paper is made from waste from the logging industry.

Oh I see....

If they didn't chop down trees for other reasons, they wouldn't chop them down for toilet paper?

Maybe you're not aware of this but....they don't just use oil for electricity, they also use it for....basically everything.

So this solar power electricity plan doesn't solve anything.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh I see....

If they didn't chop down trees for other reasons, they wouldn't chop them down for toilet paper?
They would, but it wouldn't be nearly as much, and there's other ways to make toilet paper. We now get stuff made from bamboo.

And yes, oil is used for more than just producing electricity. But wide usage of salary panels will help decrease the need for electricity produced via gas, oil, and coal. That's a good thing.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The solution is clear...buy recycled. I have for years and don't notice any difference. Sadly we have more paper than we know what to do with.

The recycling crisis

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,451.00
Faith
Pentecostal
They would, but it wouldn't be nearly as much, and there's other ways to make toilet paper. We now get stuff made from bamboo.

And yes, oil is used for more than just producing electricity. But wide usage of salary panels will help decrease the need for electricity produced via gas, oil, and coal. That's a good thing.

I bet oil is used in the construction of solar panels.

I'm not sure the OP is shocking. I think we all knew that solar panels would produce cheap electricity. The issue is the cost of installation and how long people would need to pay for cheap electricity to make up for the cost of installation and maintenance of the system.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,451.00
Faith
Pentecostal

This from the report.

While the report focuses on CO2 emissions from the energy system, it also alludes to the high levels of methane and nitrous oxide resulting from global agriculture and livestock farming in particular.

It notes that without shifts towards vegetarian diets it will be “very difficult to achieve rapid emissions reductions”.

The authors acknowledge that universal adoption of the proposed behaviour changes is unlikely, but suggest there are “alternative ways” in which such changes could combine to yield similar results.

So it appears they are also concerned About us eating meat. And they are wanting behavioral changes including universal adoption. More control over our lives by governmental powers who just know better.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟336,451.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Also this from the reports.

So the statistic “20 to 50 percent cheaper” is based on a calculus of companies building solar projects, not something that has throughput for consumers or even solar homeowners.

So we still have a long way to go for the average Joe to have this as his supply. One could say, by the general speculation by climate change alarmists that it's too little to late. We can't get this going in time to stop the change and the end of life as we know it.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟947,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
From my understanding you get a bigger bang if you build with green in mind. I'd design an LEED home or purchase one before I'd do a conversion.

P. Allen Smith showcased several techniques for the Garden Home. Similar techniques were shown on This Old House.

Yours in His Service,

~bella

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This from the report.

While the report focuses on CO2 emissions from the energy system, it also alludes to the high levels of methane and nitrous oxide resulting from global agriculture and livestock farming in particular.

It notes that without shifts towards vegetarian diets it will be “very difficult to achieve rapid emissions reductions”.

The authors acknowledge that universal adoption of the proposed behaviour changes is unlikely, but suggest there are “alternative ways” in which such changes could combine to yield similar results.

So it appears they are also concerned About us eating meat. And they are wanting behavioral changes including universal adoption. More control over our lives by governmental powers who just know better.

Overpopulation combined with human nature...a deadly mix. :eek: The good news is that people are blissfully unaware of what they have wrought. Best not to wake them up.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
One could say, by the general speculation by climate change alarmists that it's too little to late. We can't get this going in time to stop the change and the end of life as we know it.

That is just daft.

“We can’t do everything so let’s do nothing”

Where in life does that apply ? Your personal health ? Education of kids ? Littering ? Showing affection to your spouse ? Designing safer aircrafts ?

We do what we can and hope it works out. There is no certainty what kind of technologies we come up with future so every bit helps.

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”

Edmund Burke

Upvote 0

Tanj

Redefined comfortable middle class
Mar 31, 2017
Australia
✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Meanwhile. elsewhere in the world...

Australia's newest $1.2b coal-fired power station is now worthless as solar reigns supreme

A relatively new (only 10 years old) coal fired power station has been written down to $0 because it cannot compete with solar

And if we zoom into Western Australia...

Cost of power to drop during day, spike at night in WA trial

Electricity prices would be slashed [in a limited 400 household trial] by more than two thirds during the middle of the day under a trial aimed at encouraging households to soak up excess solar power flooding into Western Australia's biggest grid.

There are now more than 300,000 solar installations — or 30 per cent of households — on the state's main power grid, which spans from Geraldton in the north to Albany in the south

He said the "abundance" of solar power that flooded on to the system during the middle of the day meant supply was increasingly at risk of outstripping demand.
--------

It's clear from the article storage and distribution when the sun isn't shining is a major issue, but I like the idea that there's more energy flowing into the system during the day than the state knows what to do with.

Could everyone please turn their air conditioners up to maximum!!

Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

prosperity4all

Jul 30, 2019
new york
✟25,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0