May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
According to the article:

” Eck brought the real issue to the table: who had final authority, God’s Word or the pope? For Eck, Scripture received its authority from the pope. Luther strongly disagreed, arguing instead that Scripture has authority over popes, church fathers, and church councils, all of which have erred.

It's obvious both are wrong. And now that theres been 500 years since the above debate we can easily see both these men and both of their institutions have been wrong. I guess the apple doesn't fall to far from the tree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Are you saying the EOC is not guided spiritually by the Bible?

The Church aka ISRAEL has been around before the Bible. Even before the Torah was written down, the Church aka ISRAEL has existed.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, I do not.

I am trying to learn about the EOC.

Are you saying the EOC is not guided spiritually by the Bible?
You said why is the Orthodox Church not called the Church of Christ and then you gave a scriptural verse where it's called the Church of Christ!!(Rom 16:16). These churches of Christ Paul talked about are still there ! They didn't go extinct (a few did but just recently under Mustafa Attaturk purge) , but most are still thriving. You can jump on an airplane and visit them Thessaloniki, Damascus, Corinth, Cyprus, even a few in Asia Minor , they are still there.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Xenophon
Upvote 0

Nova2216

If truth is discounted then lies become normal.
May 16, 2020
America
Visit site
✟40,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
The Church aka ISRAEL has been around before the Bible. Even before the Torah was written down, the Church aka ISRAEL has existed.

Well then, the church of christ and the EOC must be different churches.

(Dan 2:44) (Isa. 2:1-5) and (Joel 2:28) point to (Acts 2) as "WHEN" the kingdom was to be established. This is when the church of Christ was established, In jerusalem, after the death burial and ress. of Christ, upon the first pentecost after the death of Jesus on the cross.

The fact that the EOC was established long before the NT was ever written proves the EOC and the coC are two different religious groups.

So which one is of God?

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well then, the church of christ and the EOC must be different churches.

(Dan 2:44) (Isa. 2:1-5) and (Joel 2:28) point to (Acts 2) as "WHEN" the kingdom was to be established. This is when the church of Christ was established, In jerusalem, after the death burial and ress. of Christ, upon the first pentecost after the death of Jesus on the cross.

The fact that the EOC was established long before the NT was ever written proves the EOC and the coC are two different religious groups.

So which one is of God?

Yes, EOC only became "EOC" after the Great Schism of 1054 to distinguish itself from the Latin schismatics when Rome split off and became "Roman Catholicism". Before the split Rome was included in the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.

Are you familiar with the Great Schism of 1054?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nova2216

May 16, 2020
America
Visit site
✟40,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes, EOC only became "EOC" after the Great Schism of 1054 when Rome split off and became "Roman Catholicism" to distinguish itself from the Latin schismatics. Before the split Rome was included in the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church.

Are you familiar with the Great Schism of 1054?

I am familiar with 1000s of divisions (or churches).

There is one faith, one body (one church), one lord. (Eph.4:5)

Are you now saying the EOC came out of the Roman Catholic Church which was established in 606AD?

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Are you now saying the EOC came out of the Roman Catholic Church which was established in 606AD?

No. I posted a video with my previous reply so you can better educate yourself.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟751,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There was a point in history where the Latin rite of the Church tried to force positions on the Greek rite of the Church that would have undermined its faith. 1054 is the flashpoint where long term tensions became set in conflict and unresolvable.

The people within each group are no better or worse than the other. Overall, we kept the faith of the Lord & His Apostles. We cannot share communion with Rome as it defines its faith. Reunion in today’s world would probably undermine the Christian faith still implicitly shared by Orthodox & Catholic Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,462,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

no, the Church of Christ (the Eastern Orthodox Church) is the Israel of God in the Light and fullness of the Incarnate Word.

Upvote 0

Nova2216

May 16, 2020
America
Visit site
✟40,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
no, the Church of Christ (the Eastern Orthodox Church) is the Israel of God in the Light and fullness of the Incarnate Word.

The prophecies of (Jer.31:31-34) (Dan. 2:44) (Isa.2:1-5) (Joel 2:28) point to (Acts 2).

(Acts 2) is when the coC was established (Mt. 16:18) (Rom. 16:16).

If the EOC was established before (Acts 2) the coC and the EOC are two different churches.

The EOC was established long before the coC. This means they cannot be the same.

I am a member of the church of Christ. (Rom. 16:16)

...the body of Christ (Eph. 4:12)

Upvote 0

Justin-H.S.

May 8, 2020
The Shire
✟115,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thought you were just here to learn about us. By your own words:

I am trying to learn about the EOC.

Turns out you’re just here to debate with us. Not that I’m surprised by it.

The prophecies of (Jer.31:31-34) (Dan. 2:44) (Isa.2:1-5) (Joel 2:28) point to (Acts 2).

If the EOC was established before (Acts 2) the coC and the EOC are two different churches.

The EOC was established long before the coC. This means they cannot be the same.

I wonder if those Ephesian and Roman churches had the entire New Testament canon in their possession to confirm that they were in the churches of Christ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,462,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

you quoted me as saying they are not the same. if the Church is Israel in the fullness of Christ, then prior to the Incarnation the fullness wasn't there, hence not being the same. did you read what I wrote before you quoted it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟434,488.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think “strawmane” is an interesting verb. You really can make a mane out of straw. Maybe it means something like “fake lionizing”?

(I have to teach spelling conventions among other things for a living, and the concept of reverse engineering - double consonant means original verb infinitive was short vowel sound, single means long vowel sound with silent “e” removed in the process of creating the gerund (-ing form).)

Upvote 0

Nova2216

May 16, 2020
America
Visit site
✟40,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Thought you were just here to learn about us. By your own words:

Turns out you’re just here to debate with us. Not that I’m surprised by it.

I wonder if those Ephesian and Roman churches had the entire New Testament canon in their possession to confirm that they were in the churches of Christ?

I am trying to honestly learn about truth (Jn 8:3132 ; 17:17).

Truth will always harmonize (Ps 119:160).

What you are teaching me about the EOC does not harmonize.

The apostles "CONFIRMED" the revelation of God by miracles (Heb. 2:3,4) (Mark 16:20) (2Cor.12:12).

Those MIRACLES made the revelation of God just as much truth as if it was written down (in epistles).
In fact the apostles did write it down (1Cor.14:37).

If you have the truth why do you get so defensive?

Judging my motive is wrong.

Upvote 0