Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Question is, is there a line between offensive and acceptable? For example these people were being offensive it would seem. But what if a white teen wants to dress up as Black Panther and puts on blackface to look more the part? Is that racist or not?

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Question is, is there a line between offensive and acceptable? For example these people were being offensive it would seem. But what if a white teen wants to dress up as Black Panther and puts on blackface to look more the part? Is that racist or not?
Still racist, skin color is not a costume.

It's quite easy to do a costume without changing the color of your skin, we do it all the time.
47627d06c85f97e44d6652b17609524d.jpg

Conley-TheBatman2.jpg

No-Blackface-Halloween-Costumes-11-compressed.png

No-Blackface-Halloween-Costumes-8-compressed.jpg

No-Blackface-Halloween-Costumes-10-compressed.jpg

You can dress up like someone, emulate their clothes, their hairstyle, their mannerisms, but you don't slap on makeup to change your skin color. There is a line, don't wear blackface.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Apologists in 3... 2...

But, But, But...
Eddie Murphy dressed up as a White Jew...

And, And, And Dave Chappelle...

(I got tired of waiting…)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

All Englands Skies

Christian-Syndicalist
Nov 4, 2008
Midlands
✟221,057.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single

I don't believe anybody in this day and age is oblivious to the fact "blackface" offends people.

So its done for the sole reason to offend, pleading ignorance to that is disingenuous.

So if it bothers people, why do it?

Its silly some people defend it, people who put on "blackface" do it because it causes a lot of upset to black people, they know what it causes, they're not blind and deaf, so if they set out to deliberately offend black people, isn't that pretty much 100% racist?

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,370.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't believe anybody in this day and age is oblivious to the fact "blackface" offends people.

So its done for the sole reason to offend, pleading ignorance to that is disingenuous.

I would argue that there's a state in between pure ignorance and deliberate offense wherein a person merely disregards someone else's offense while not deliberately stoking it. IOW, I do <a thing> and when I do it, I don't want it to bother you; but I also don't think it should bother you; and if it does bother you, then you're the one over-reacting.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So if it bothers people, why do it?

Its silly some people defend it, people who put on "blackface" do it because it causes a lot of upset to black people, they know what it causes, they're not blind and deaf, so if they set out to deliberately offend black people, isn't that pretty much 100% racist?

Well in some countries they don't even know black face is offensive. In South Korea you see them do black face alot.

So what about my Black Panther reference? Is the kid being racist or just pretending hes Black Panther?

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Well in some countries they don't even know black face is offensive. In South Korea you see them do black face alot.

So what about my Black Panther reference? Is the kid being racist or just pretending hes Black Panther?
I would give a child the pure ignorance card, but the reason that he thinks blackening your skin to be a black person has a racist foundation. That's why it's up to parents to explain why kids should not do blackface (it's likely they observed something at home or in media that made them believe it's a good idea). I remember one kid in the 6th grade did blackface for his Black History Month project, he was George Washington Carver. Yes, his intention was not to offend or denigrate, but blackface is still racist. I think people need to stop equating racist with bad person. We all do things that are wrong, but that doesn't mean we're necessarily bad.

You dress up like Black Panther (for some reason, I thought you meant the Black Panthers from the Civil Rights Movement, but the point remains the same) by wearing a particular suit, having props to imitate Wakanda's technology, and repeat phrases or slogans from the film. None of that should ever require you to paint your skin to "play the part," much like no black kid should be painting his skin white to play Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc.

I believe this video pretty much sums up the whole topic:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
I would give a child the pure ignorance card, but the reason that he thinks blackening your skin to be a black person has a racist foundation. That's why it's up to parents to explain why kids should not do blackface (it's likely they observed something at home or in media that made them believe it's a good idea). I remember one kid in the 6th grade did blackface for his Black History Month project, he was George Washington Carver. Yes, his intention was not to offend or denigrate, but blackface is still racist. I think people need to stop equating racist with bad person. We all do things that are wrong, but that doesn't mean we're necessarily bad.

You dress up like Black Panther (for some reason, I thought you meant the Black Panthers from the Civil Rights Movement, but the point remains the same) by wearing a particular suit, having props to imitate Wakanda's technology, and repeat phrases or slogans from the film. None of that should ever require you to paint your skin to "play the part," much like no black kid should be painting his skin white to play Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man, Iron Man, etc.

I believe this video pretty much sums up the whole topic:

If a kid thinks that blackening your skin to portray a black person makes sense, it's probably because he's trying to imitate what he sees, not that it has a racist foundation.

It's not any more racist for a kid to put dark coloring to portray the Black Panther (from the movie) than it is to put green coloring on to portray the Jolly Green Giant.

When you look for racism in everything, you will find racism in everything.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
If a kid thinks that blackening your skin to portray a black person makes sense, it's probably because he's trying to imitate what he sees, not that it has a racist foundation.

It's not any more racist for a kid to put dark coloring to portray the Black Panther (from the movie) than it is to put green coloring on to portray the Jolly Green Giant.

When you look for racism in everything, you will find racism in everything.
And that would make sense if black kids were whitening their skin to portray a character. They are not, we only find this happening with portrayals of black people as their skin color is considered a costume by some. Comparisons to the Jolly Green Giant are not apt because that is a fictional being as opposed to someone portraying a human character.

Blackface is racist. @USincognito, it looks like you called it.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,049.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And that would make sense if black kids were whitening their skin to portray a character. They are not, we only find this happening with portrayals of black people as their skin color is considered a costume by some. Comparisons to the Jolly Green Giant are not apt because that is a fictional being as opposed to someone portraying a human character.

I'm sure there are more who think it than actually say it.

Last night's episode of Blackish was about clueless racist imagery, but even some who know the history still think it's o.k.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
The Black Panther is a fictional character, too. The comparison is appropriate.

He didn't call anything. I'm not apologizing for the behavior in the OP, i'm calling out nonsense about the motivations of kids.

Upvote 0