Visit site
✟1,718,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I am hoping to find an objective definition of Social Justice.

This thread is not intended as a launch pad for those who oppose what could be called the Social Justice movement to go on the offensive. I’m just wondering how those who are in favor of Social Justice would objectively define what they are in favor of.

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

This thread is not intended as a launch pad for those who oppose what could be called the Social Justice movement to go on the offensive. I’m just wondering how those who are in favor of Social Justice would objectively define what they are in favor of.
(with hope)
Is this so that a pertinent Biblical reason / purpose/ outlook can be described to them (for their goals/ purposes/ outlooks) so they can change and line up with God's Plan and Purpose in Christ Jesus as outlined and described fully in His Word ?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I believe we all here are 'for' social justice. I think there were past issues where those who used to call themselves "social justice warrior" or "SJW" now see it used as a derogatory term. I think the urban dictionary and Wikipedia says it too.

I know I used "social justice" in a thread talking about the Pope I believe and got a note to edit and explanation I could not say that here.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
social justice - Wiktionary

Noun

social justice (uncountable)

1. Fairness in society.
Usage notes
  • Associated with movements that aim to eliminate or negate unfair treatment based on traits of the individual, such as age, gender, or race.
the only thing I'd add to the above:
Isaiah 1:17 said:
Learn to do good;
Defend the orphan,
Plead for the widow.
and:
Matthew 25: 34-40 said:
34 “Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
35 For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in;
36 naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’
37 Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink?
38 And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You?
39 When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’
40 The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’
tulc(thinks the OP is a good question!) :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It would depend. Is the definition of fairness equal opportunity or equal outcome? Because many today are seeking the latter. Matthew 26:11 suggests that this will be impossible but we can still make the effort to give the disadvantaged a chance at life. Unfortunately, politics gets in the way of how we can pull this off.
When you say disadvantaged, what do you mean by that??

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Disability is a disadvantage as it prevents you from fully participating in society. Poverty is a disadvantage because you have less access to resources to better your situation. Being part of a marginalized group in society is a disadvantage because less people are willing to help you succeed. Being a single parent is a disadvantage because you have to take care of a child without the support of a spouse like how the family unit works.

Not everyone is born with the same cards in life. To suggest otherwise shows a Just World Hypothesis kind of thinking and that is a very simplistic view to have. One day you might get sick or get into an accident. One day some thug might beat you and steal your wallet. One day your job may be outsourced to India because your boss doesn't want to pay the extra taxes and/or wages. Life is full of chance and anarchy and parables like the book of Job and the Rich Man and Lazarus show just how fallacious this whole, "You get what you deserve" line of thinking really is.

Yes, there will be those who will exploit for personal gain and this is to be expected. We live in a fallen world that is wired towards selfishness. Corruption is the norm. However, Christians are expected to fight against selfishness and try to love others and they love themselves while loving God above all else.
Is the gospel sufficient to deal with these issues?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Disability is a disadvantage as it prevents you from fully participating in society. Poverty is a disadvantage because you have less access to resources to better your situation. Being part of a marginalized group in society is a disadvantage because less people are willing to help you succeed. Being a single parent is a disadvantage because you have to take care of a child without the support of a spouse like how the family unit works.

Not everyone is born with the same cards in life. To suggest otherwise shows a Just World Hypothesis kind of thinking and that is a very simplistic view to have. One day you might get sick or get into an accident. One day some thug might beat you and steal your wallet. One day your job may be outsourced to India because your boss doesn't want to pay the extra taxes and/or wages. Life is full of chance and anarchy and parables like the book of Job and the Rich Man and Lazarus show just how fallacious this whole, "You get what you deserve" line of thinking really is.

Yes, there will be those who will exploit for personal gain and this is to be expected. We live in a fallen world that is wired towards selfishness. Corruption is the norm. However, Christians are expected to fight against selfishness and try to love others and they love themselves while loving God above all else.
Also, I’d like to point out that you’ve added to your original definition when you included things outside of “age, gender, and race”. So now the objective has been expanded.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That definition was not my own and I'm pretty sure those were just common examples. If you want to get into semantics, then the debate will only go around in circles.
That’s really the gist of it, though, isn’t it? We hear of Social Justice, but there’s no real clear definition of the term.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,718,901.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Here’s the issue, as I see it. Some folks want what they term Social Justice. But if it cannot be defined, how will they go about achieving it, and how will they know when they get it?

Upvote 0