Midwest
✟18,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not posting this to be inflammatory, but rather I would like other thoughts to see if I'm alone on this one.

I've noticed a trend on social media platforms and forums: the reason for all the bad in the world is some structure or system. If we can dismantle that system, the problem will cease. What about sin? The problem (even described by fellow Christians) is a system, but the Scriptures deal with individuals and their sin.

The bible tells us that all problems are rooted in sin, but the trendy thing to do is to attack a system or tell everyone how you're an activist.

Example: "White supremacy is running rampant! We must dismantle this systemic racism of the patriarchy!" And then of course these bold declarations lead to the back-patting for attacking the system in the sky "My kids will never be taught racism! There will no bigotry or misogyny in this house!" After that, these posts are showered with likes and affirmations.

Problem: Where are all these misogynistic, racist white men trolling the internet with their bigotry? I'm not saying there aren't some people out there that are misogynist or racist (which those problems are sin problems), I'm saying that social media platforms talk about it like its everywhere, when in reality, I think they have created a systemic boogeyman. The disconnect is this: we talk about this stuff like its everywhere, and get tons of praise for denouncing it on the internet. You would think that this boogeyman is everywhere, but he must be really clever about disguising himself.

Before anyone gets touchy about me denying a real problem, I'm not saying there isn't a problem. If anything, I think the correction overestimates the reach of the problem. In other words, it's bad, but it's not as rampant as the internet makes it out to be.

As people continue to hold up the boogeyman like a punching bag, attributing all the evils in the world to him, I can't help but wonder what spirit is guiding the angry mob of activism. As long as we keep pointing at the boogeyman, we're blinded by the sin behind the scenes, and the sin that's in the mirror.

For the record, I happen to be a white male. So if you think that disqualifies me from talking about this, I would ask you to re-evaluate your equality doctrines.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,200.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Focus on following the the Lord Jesus Christ and His Word, and these concerns will take care of themselves. The world and it's sinful ways will pass away. We must shine the light of Christ to all people and any potential lies by others will be handled at the Judgment unless men repent of such things. Our mission is to love God and to love others, and not worry about pulling out the weeds. The angels at the end of the Harvest will pull out the weeds, brother. In other words, politics and following the Lord do not mix. Just follow Jesus on His terms and make Him the everything in your life.

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not posting this to be inflammatory, but rather I would like other thoughts to see if I'm alone on this one.

I've noticed a trend on social media platforms and forums: the reason for all the bad in the world is some structure or system. If we can dismantle that system, the problem will cease. What about sin? The problem (even described by fellow Christians) is a system, but the Scriptures deal with individuals and their sin.

The bible tells us that all problems are rooted in sin, but the trendy thing to do is to attack a system or tell everyone how you're an activist.

Example: "White supremacy is running rampant! We must dismantle this systemic racism of the patriarchy!" And then of course these bold declarations lead to the back-patting for attacking the system in the sky "My kids will never be taught racism! There will no bigotry or misogyny in this house!" After that, these posts are showered with likes and affirmations.

Problem: Where are all these misogynic, racist white men trolling the internet with their bigotry? I'm not saying there aren't some people out there that are misogynist or racist (which those problems are sin problems), I'm saying that social media platforms talk about it like its everywhere, when in reality, I think they have created a systemic boogeyman. The disconnect is this: we talk about this stuff like its everywhere, and get tons of praise for denouncing it on the internet. You would think that this boogeyman is everywhere, but he must be really clever about disguising himself.

Before anyone gets touchy about me denying a real problem, I'm not saying there isn't a problem. If anything, I think the correction overestimates the reach of the problem. In other words, it's bad, but it's not as rampant as the internet makes it out to be.

As people continue to hold up the boogeyman like a punching bag, attributing all the evils in the world to him, I can't help but wonder what spirit is guiding the angry mob of activism. As long as we keep pointing at the boogeyman, we're blinded by the sin behind the scenes, and the sin that's in the mirror.

For the record, I happen to be a white male. So if you think that disqualifies me from talking about this, I would ask you to re-evaluate your equality doctrines.

JS: perhaps a story I heard a while back might help clarify this for you. A Jewish man wanting to understand the true level of antisemitism bought a new computer and created an identity for himself as an antisemite. He did this because when he'd searched this as a Jew he found very little inflammatory rhetoric on this issue.

To his surprise once he did this he found lots of proof. He published a paper on this being a student, showing clearly the web gives us sites based on previous searches thus making it hard to see the other side. Also a lot of these folk are on the dark web.

Lastly, They are a minority, but a well armed and scary minority. As Americans, we are required to secure our liberty against any threat and as Christians we are told to abide all the laws of our nation. So is this threat societal or sin? Probably both, but when the attack came on washing earlier this year most saw the danger to our constitution not the fact that their behavior was unchristian.

Upvote 0

HosannaHM

Christian Saved by Grace
Apr 4, 2010
Midwest
✟18,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Focus on following the the Lord Jesus Christ and His Word, and these concerns will take care of themselves. The world and it's sinful ways will pass away. We must shine the light of Christ to all people and any potential lies by others will be handled at the Judgment unless men repent of such things. Our mission is to love God and to love others, and not worry about pulling out the weeds. The angels at the end of the Harvest will pull out the weeds, brother. In other words, politics and following the Lord do not mix. Just follow Jesus on His terms and make Him the everything in your life.

Hello Bible Highlighter! Thanks for the response. With all due respect, that's kind of the point of the post. The problem in light of the Scriptures is sin. These things have an appearance of good, but to me, they are distractions from the real mission. As far as politics go, some things are labeled as political that aren't. When the bible points something out, we have a right to speak out too. In other words, Christians don't need to concern themselves with everything political, but sometimes issues labeled as political rub up against biblical principles.

• Agree
Reactions: ralliann
Upvote 0

HosannaHM

Christian Saved by Grace
Apr 4, 2010
Midwest
✟18,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
JS: perhaps a story I heard a while back might help clarify this for you. A Jewish man wanting to understand the true level of antisemitism bought a new computer and created an identity for himself as an antisemite. He did this because when he'd searched this as a Jew he found very little inflammatory rhetoric on this issue.

To his surprise once he did this he found lots of proof. He published a paper on this being a student, showing clearly the web gives us sites based on previous searches thus making it hard to see the other side. Also a lot of these folk are on the dark web.

Lastly, They are a minority, but a well armed and scary minority. As Americans, we are required to secure our liberty against any threat and as Christians we are told to abide all the laws of our nation. So is this threat societal or sin? Probably both, but when the attack came on washing earlier this year most saw the danger to our constitution not the fact that their behavior was unchristian.
Hi Joyous Song, I can understand that example. Thank you for sharing! Like I said, I'm not denying that these issues are out there, I'm just not convinced it's as exhaustive of a problem as the hype. I see constant activism posts on social media from fellow Christians, but not a lot of posts about sin as the issue, walking with Christ, repentance, etc. I hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Joyous Song, I can understand that example. Thank you for sharing! Like I said, I'm not denying that these issues are out there, I'm just not convinced it's as exhaustive of a problem as the hype. I see constant activism posts on social media from fellow Christians, but not a lot of posts about sin as the issue, walking with Christ, repentance, etc. I hope that makes sense.

JS: Agreed. Many caught claimed they were abiding in G-d. So there is definitely a sickness in our faith I tying to better understand and this is just one example there are many, many more. For example the sexual crimes against youth by leaders and cover-ups that followed. The number of men caught molesting women under them, often political and social leaders. The loss of the middle class and the tension between black believers and white. The list goes on and on.

So the media singular focus serves no one really. Is one threat really greater than the next? And where are the Churches response? Its a mess!

Upvote 0

HosannaHM

Christian Saved by Grace
Apr 4, 2010
Midwest
✟18,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
JS: Agreed. Many caught claimed they were abiding in G-d. So there is definitely a sickness in our faith I tying to better understand and this is just one example there are many, many more. For example the sexual crimes against youth by leaders and cover-ups that followed. The number of men caught molesting women under them, often political and social leaders. The loss of the middle class and the tension between black believers and white. The list goes on and on.

So the media singular focus serves no one really. Is one threat really greater than the next? And where are the Churches response? Its a mess!

I hear you, sister. I hate that stuff. The cry of the heart: where are all the godly men? Where are the godly women and the God-fearing churches? Where is the gospel in our pulpits?

Upvote 0

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I hear you, sister. I hate that stuff. The cry of the heart: where are all the godly men? Where are the godly women and the God-fearing churches? Where is the gospel in our pulpits?

I like to say our is but I know of a few bad apples. Still, most walk in the Light, and even those I know of are effected by these folks. Still though i know of other congregations like ours I see very few and most Christians are like sheep without a Shepherd. So like my son, looking out at the state of the World and the faith I can't help, even knowing what this would mean, to pray, Come Moshiach, Come.

• Friendly
Reactions: HosannaHM
Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mean World Syndrome is a major contributing factor.[1][2][3] While the fallen world is indeed a scary and dangerous place, exaggerating the problems on 24/7 news is creating a vicious cycle of fear and distrust in our cultures. There are two things that are guaranteed to sell well on the media: sex and fear.[9][10] This, among other factors, contributed greatly to Generation Z's physical and mental health problems, as well as delayed development.[4][5][6][7][8] However, there is also the de-stigmatization of mental illness to take into account.[6][7]

Trust is one of the key factors in any healthy relationship. Faith in God is trusting in Him, especially because perfect love casts out fear (1 Corinthians 13:1-13, 1 John 4:7-21, Hebrews 11:1-40). Of course, even I still struggle with this. Remember: we are just men and women, not superhuman (Acts 16:25-34, Ephesians 2:1-10, John 3:16, Romans 3:9-31).[11] This battle already belongs to God (2 Chronicles 20:15), and He will NEVER leave us nor forsake us (Deuteronomy 31:6, Hebrews 13:5). God intends only our highest good (Ezekiel 18:23-32, 33:10-11, Jeremiah 29:11, John 3:16, 2 Peter 3:8-9).

We must do our part in the Great Commission (Acts 1:4-8, John 20:19–23, Luke 24:44-49, Matthew 28:16-20), as well as taking care of the less fortunate (2 Corinthians 9:6-15, John 14:15-31, Luke 14:1-24, 21:1-4, Mark 12:41-44, Matthew 25:31-46, Proverbs 11:24-26, 14:31, 19:17, 28:27). Be (willingly) generous, but NEVER enable laziness and abuse of the welfare systems (2 Thessalonians 3:6-15, 1 Timothy 5:1-16). They are there for those who genuinely NEED it (Deuteronomy 24:19, Hebrews 13:1-19, Leviticus 19:9-10, 1 Peter 2:11-25, Romans 13:1-7).

I highly recommend reciting Psalm 23, especially for this gem of a verse:

4 Even if I walk
through a very dark valley,
I will not be afraid
because you are with me.
Your rod and your shepherd’s staff comfort me.
~Psalm 23:4 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 23 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 23 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 23 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Psalm 23 - International Children’s Bible

...As well as these Bible verses regarding fear:

6 Be strong and brave. Don’t be afraid of them. Don’t be frightened. The Lord your God will go with you. He will not leave you or forget you.”
~Deuteronomy 31:6 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: Deuteronomy 31 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Deuteronomy 31 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Deuteronomy 31 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Deuteronomy 31 - International Children’s Bible

7 God did not give us a spirit that makes us afraid. He gave us a spirit of power and love and self-control.
~2 Timothy 1:7 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: 2 Timothy 1 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: 2 Timothy 1 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: 2 Timothy 1 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: 2 Timothy 1 - International Children’s Bible
  1. mean world syndrome - Wiktionary
  2. https://www.mediaed.org/transcripts/Mean-World-Syndrome-Transcript.pdf - THE MEAN WORLD SYNDROME: Media Violence & the Cultivation of Fear (2010).
  3. The mean world syndrome : media violence & the cultivation of fear - ECU Libraries Catalog
  4. https://open.spotify [dot] com/episode/40C1TzeSXuEnqQomY8ayQW - STRONG LANGUAGE WARNING!!!
  5. Lukianoff, G., & Haidt, J. (2019). Chapter 8: Paranoid Parenting. In The coddling of the American mind: How good intentions and bad ideas are setting up a generation for failure (pp. 163-179). London: Penguin Books.
  6. Stress, Mental Health, and Generation Z
  7. Generation Z Most Likely to Have Poor Mental Health – Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic
  8. Childhood Obesity on the Rise in Generation Z
  9. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/...leeds-it-leads-understanding-fear-based-media
  10. Not An Object: On Sexualization and Exploitation of Women and Girls
  11. Hero - Awake (2009) - Skillet - "I am just a man, not superhuman" - https://genius [dot] com/Skillet-hero-lyrics - STRONG LANGUAGE WARNING ON THIS ENTIRE WEBSITE!!!

• Agree
Reactions: Joyous Song
Upvote 0