So, you think Global Climate Change is a hoax.

eclipsenow

God cares about his creation as well as us.
Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟139,901.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Good question. Maybe other bible bellevers can try to chirp in here. I used to think that this earth at least the inner earth would remain, and that the surface would be burned off. The new earth would be the new surface I thought, but with the same foundations. The heavens would be new. I still lean that direction but am not sure.

This is just ... weird. Things will be eternal. That means changing the fundamental laws of physics!

But, theologically speaking, we know there will be some continuity, in that I will still be me, but sinless, and the Earth will still be recognisably the Earth, it will also be bigger, better, more like the Earth than it is now.

The picture language in Revelation is of the New Jerusalem descending to Earth. That's not about a city renovation, folks, but of dimensions colliding, of God bringing his dwelling place to mankind. But this is theological language, not scientific. There's simply no way to describe it scientifically because this is the stuff of theology: of trusting in Christ's promises.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is just ... weird. Things will be eternal. That means changing the fundamental laws of physics!
Right.
But, theologically speaking, we know there will be some continuity, in that I will still be me, but sinless, and the Earth will still be recognisably the Earth, it will also be bigger, better, more like the Earth than it is now.
Bigger? Support that.

You will still be you, yes. But you could be you on either a new earth or a new earth that had the same eternal foundations downstairs.
The picture language in Revelation is of the New Jerusalem descending to Earth. That's not about a city renovation, folks, but of dimensions colliding, of God bringing his dwelling place to mankind.
No one mentioned any 'city renovation'

But this is theological language, not scientific. There's simply no way to describe it scientifically because this is the stuff of theology: of trusting in Christ's promises.
That would be because science is physical only. It can't cover the good stuff.

Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟139,901.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Right.
Bigger? Support that.
I knew I should have chosen another word. You're so literalistic, you know that? Anyway, I don't have to answer a single question you put to me until you answer the questions I asked you about Genesis.

Upvote 0

vocalyocal

Dec 23, 2012
✟833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Disciples were asking about that temple, not some still hypothetical imaginary fantasy land third temple that hasn't been built yet. That temple was destroyed within a generation of that discussion. Soldiers sacrificed to emperor-god Titus in the temple courtyard as the temple burned. Deal with it.

Revelation is the gospel writ large in picture language, and is NOT a future-timetable. Otherwise it would be utterly irrelevant for the vast majority of Christian history. John clearly states in Chapter 1 that he writes so that his generation can hear and understand and obey his message. How can they obey it if it is not even to them, about them, or relevant in any way? Revelation is, therefore, just like a gospel or an epistle or any other New Testament book: written to a specific target audience at the time, requiring us to do our hermeneutics and understand how the original audience would have heard it, and only then bridging the gap of 2000 years to apply it to our own culture. It is NOT a timetable of 'last days' events, we've been in the Last Days since Peter said so in Acts 2.

interesting theory.......so your saying the mark already occured, the antichrist has already come and gone.......and yet Jesus who's coming is directly tied to the demise of the antichrist has still not shown up

ahhhh....OK?.......good luck with that theology

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

eclipsenow

Dec 17, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟139,901.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
interesting theory.......so your saying the mark already occured, the antichrist has already come and gone.......and yet Jesus who's coming is directly tied to the demise of the antichrist has still not shown up
It's the dominant theory of the Sydney Anglican church, and makes sense of John asking his generation to read and obey his message in Revelation (which is not a future timetable linking Jesus return to an antiChrist figure but is, instead, simply the GOSPEL itself stated in high metaphor). There simply is no 'antiChrist' figure closely linked with the end, because we know nothing specific about the Last Days. Everything we knew about the Last Days was fulfilled in the gospel events of Jesus except one thing, his final return. So he could return in 5 seconds or 50,000 years, we just don't know.

Amillennialism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ahhhh....OK?.......good luck with that theology
As I said, it is the main eschatology of Sydney Anglicans and it is growing around the world as every year as dozens of failed futurist prophecies and various interpretations of prophecies are proved to be wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I knew I should have chosen another word. You're so literalistic, you know that? Anyway, I don't have to answer a single question you put to me until you answer the questions I asked you about Genesis.
You already said this
"...the Earth, it will also be bigger,.." Hehe

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's the dominant theory of the Sydney Anglican church, and makes sense of John asking his generation to read and obey his message in Revelation (which is not a future timetable linking Jesus return to an antiChrist figure but is, instead, simply the GOSPEL itself stated in high metaphor). There simply is no 'antiChrist' figure closely linked with the end, because we know nothing specific about the Last Days. Everything we knew about the Last Days was fulfilled in the gospel events of Jesus except one thing, his final return. So he could return in 5 seconds or 50,000 years, we just don't know.

Amillennialism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As I said, it is the main eschatology of Sydney Anglicans and it is growing around the world as every year as dozens of failed futurist prophecies and various interpretations of prophecies are proved to be wrong.
Nommie rubbish.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums