United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I don't see that being taught at all.. especially when we ready vs 45:
"45 When the chief priests and the Pharisees heard Jesus’ parables, they knew he was talking about them."

Also, it is pretty much been universally understood throughout 2000 years of Christendom that this passage/parable stands as fulfilled... that the Kingdom HAS BEEN taken from the 1st century Chief Priests and Pharisees and given to a new nation... we aren't still waiting for that to happen... what isn't settled throughout Christendom is WHEN and by what vehicle did this occur... I am arguing it took place in the 66-70 AD siege and leveling of Jerusalem when the "Lord of the vineyard came and was the stone that crushed those wicked men to dust", Just as the Chief Priests and Pharisees KNEW.

• Winner
Reactions: jgr
Upvote 0

keras

Writer of studies on Bible prophecy
Feb 7, 2013
Thames, New Zealand
Visit site
✟290,792.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
the Kingdom HAS BEEN taken from the 1st century Chief Priests and Pharisees and given to a new nation... we aren't still waiting for that to happen...
Yes; and we Christians are that holy nation. 1 Peter 2:9-10
WE are the inheritors of the holy Land and of the Kingdom. Ephesians 1:11, Colossians 1:12

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't see that being taught at all.. especially when we ready vs 45:
"45 When the chief priests and the Pharisees heard Jesus’ parables, they knew he was talking about them."

Also, it is pretty much been universally understood throughout 2000 years of Christendom that this passage/parable stands as fulfilled... that the Kingdom HAS BEEN taken from the 1st century Chief Priests and Pharisees and given to a new nation... .

but it still remains for vs 44 to be fulfilled and all the enemies of Christ destroyed. 1 Cor 15 tells us that - that does not happen until the second coming.

Matt 21
44 And he that falleth on this stone shall be broken to pieces: but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will scatter him as dust.

So while it is true that 70A.D. has come and gone that "all enemies destroyed" condition of 1 Cor 15 - that is referenced in Matt 21:44 is still future.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟218,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And of course his end-times warnings in the Bible are "off the charts" loud and in your face drastic. (See Rev 13 for example)
When did the Revelator say all that stuff was gonna happen? Didn't he keep insisting to the folks to whom he was writing that "the time is at hand"? Where do you reckon he messed up?

"I accept Christ as savior - I read only the 4 gospels... (but not Matt 24 or any section dealing with end times) .. I ignore everything in the Bible that talks about the last days... that's it"??
What our Lord was talking about in Matthew 24, who was He talking to? Was He responding to the people who were in front of Him, asking them questions, or had He turned to face the camera, and was ignoring them and talking to us instead? I mean after all, if none of the stuff He was on about was going to happen for a few thousand years, it was of only academic interest to His immediate audience, right?

Yeah, I think I'll continue to do most of my reading in the Gospels, and leave setting up End Times schedules to those who read Revelation, Matthew 24, Daniel and other OT prophets, and little else.

Last edited:
Reactions: jgr
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟218,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If a Christian lives a godly live, God knows him and therefore he is prepared for death and therefore there is absolutely no risk in ignoring eschatology.
Bingo! Our Lord may return in our lifetimes and He may not. But if He tarries, we will all certainly die. If we're ready to die, we're ready to greet Him at His return; we're fine whichever happens.

Interestingly, the more time one devotes to never ending eschatology guesses, the less time he actually has to spiritually grow and to help people around him.
In addition, "End Times" blather tends to make unbelievers think we're nitwits.

To be prepared is not to look for signs or to read pamphlets, but to repent and live according to God's will.
In a nutshell!

Last edited:
Reactions: solid_core
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟218,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
so then the person in the scenario of the OP is no at any risk at all for ignoring every text on this topic - as long as they keep reading the 4 gospels and maybe some of the psalms now and then and stay in the dark.
If he's reading the Gospels every day he's hardly "in the dark".

• Agree
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟218,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
BobRyan said:
a lot of people throughout history did not figure out the end-times
Nor have most of the present-day people who claim that they have figured it out. A dozen readers of the Revelation, a dozen contradictory opinions.

Each of them absolutely true. Just ask the folks who thunk them up.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟218,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Notice that in that context - John the baptizer gives "a dire warning" and a lot of people ignored it... what was "the consequence" for the nation?
Learned that reading the Gospels, didn't we?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Nor have most of the present-day people who claim that they have figured it out. A dozen readers of the Revelation, a dozen contradictory opinions.

Each of them absolutely true. Just ask the folks who thunk them up.

true in Christ's day -- true today.. but just as fatal to get it wrong.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟794,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
true in Christ's day -- true today.. but just as fatal to get it wrong.
What about the days between? How was it fatal for the Christian from, say, 1562 to have lived his entire life believing the “wrong” interpretation of the book of revelation?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What about the days between? How was it fatal for the Christian from, say, 1562 to have lived his entire life believing the “wrong” interpretation of the book of revelation?

I don't think so.. "just as it was in the days of Noah - so shall it be at the end" - Matt 24

If someone was 910 years old when Noah started building... dies at 950 and the entire time was never convinced that Noah's idea actually came from God -- it would not matter to him. Just to his family and friends who lived through it.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟794,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think so.. "just as it was in the days of Noah - so shall it be at the end" - Matt 24

If someone was 910 years old when Noah started building... dies at 950 and the entire time was never convinced that Noah's idea actually came from God -- it would not matter to him. Just to his family and friends who lived through it.

OK... can you elaborate what you meant when you said it was fatal in Christ's day to get it wrong then?
(I of course agree it was indeed fatal in the apostolic generation to get it wrong)

Upvote 0